Seantrel Saga Continues - from the Star Trib "SH is back on the market"

I can predict with 95% certainty that he will not have the college/pro career he would have had if he was just left alone to be a kid, make a decision and go there. I've seen so many circus acts when it comes to recruiting and they almost always negatively affects the kid involved. He didn't need to live under a microscope, he/his dad chose to put him there.

IMO this is nearly 100% correct regarding any athlete being recruited to college level competition. The "nearly" has to do with the system being what it is and deserving at least some of the blame for bad situations. That said, there are ways to internalize these things, make a wise selection, let everyone know what's done is done and move on. After a few turndowns the media will stop looking over your shoulder. After a few Don't bother me, the ship has sailed" the word will get around to coaches and they'll start looking at other possibilities. Establishing the "leverage" SH the Dad refers to keeps things heated up.

JG was to be a highly sought recruit as well, but evidently coaches and media got the word in a way that made it clear the student and family were not seeking "leverage."

The worst thing to happen to sports was the invention of the microphone. The second was the idea to put said microphone in front of athlete (or parent looking to cash in on same). Let's hope that Sean Henderson is merely regurgitating one of the most often used sports cliches of all time "it's a businss" schtik. It's very likely that Mr. Henderson felt compelled to say something when asked by the press and unfortunately, had a case of verbal diarrhea. Unfortunately, the way this has all played out, he may very well be prostituting his son for his own personal gain.

The worst thing to happen to sports was the invention of the microphone. The second was the idea to put said microphone in front of athlete (or parent looking to cash in on same). Let's hope that Sean Henderson is merely regurgitating one of the most often used sports cliches of all time "it's a businss" schtik. It's very likely that Mr. Henderson felt compelled to say something when asked by the press and unfortunately, had a case of verbal diarrhea. Unfortunately, the way this has all played out, he may very well be prostituting his son for his own personal gain.

He does appear to be Seantrels pimp, pimping him out for the best offer rather than letting Seantrel decide his own academic and athletic future. It is a sad situation that our #1 player is pulling a Walker lee Ashely all over again.

He does appear to be Seantrels pimp, pimping him out for the best offer rather than letting Seantrel decide his own academic and athletic future. It is a sad situation that our #1 player is pulling a Walker lee Ashely all over again.

You don't know whether it was Seantrel's decision or not and maybe he did decide his own future. Just like you didn't know when you stated that Seantrel would come here leading up to sgning day.

ugh, this is getting filthier by the second. I just hope Brew stays away from the Hendersons from now on.

Had your chance to commit to the U and you chose USC, knowing FULL WELL that the NCAA was investigating and that the hammer is probably coming down on them.

From the sounds of it...the upcoming meeting with the NCAA wasn't the issue, but USC's (potential shady) recruitment of SH is now the issue that has caused him to back off his committment. Thanks Snoop Dog.

From the sounds of it...the upcoming meeting with the NCAA wasn't the issue, but USC's (potential shady) recruitment of SH is now the issue that has caused him to back off his committment. Thanks Snoop Dog.

Do you know more than most? If so, care to share?

All of this whole circus makes me wish that Brewster would create a deadline for potential signees. Either commit to us either 1 week before LOI day or you no longer have an offer.

Believe it or not, it actually makes me respect Ferentz more for doing what he did and took himself and his fan base out of the running for something he knew wasn't going to happen anyway.

All of this whole circus makes me wish that Brewster would create a deadline for potential signees. Either commit to us either 1 week before LOI day or you no longer have an offer.

Why would you voluntarily hamstring yourself so badly?

Horrible, horrible, terrible, unbelievably bad idea.

I would say 99% of high school athletes are already committed by that point, correct?

So what is necessarilly wrong with this proposal?

I would say 99% of high school athletes are already committed by that point, correct?

So what is necessarilly wrong with this proposal?

I'd rather have an early signing period, even with the problems attached to that. I'd think that under your suggestion, the same kids who can't decide or are "gaming" would just lie anyway.

Now is it a " Horrible, horrible, terrible, unbelievably bad idea.

Uh, no, it's not.:rolleyes:

I'd rather have an early signing period, even with the problems attached to that. I'd think that under your suggestion, the same kids who can't decide or are "gaming" would just lie anyway.

Now is it a " Horrible, horrible, terrible, unbelievably bad idea.

Uh, no, it's not.:rolleyes:

You're talking about changing the fundamental rules of the game. That is something I can get behind, because there are logical reasons for it and it applies to everyone equally.

What RaT is talking about is Brewster voluntarily choosing to make things much harder on himself and applying different rules to Minnesota's recruiting than those by which the remainder of D-IA is playing. And yes, that is an unfathomably terrible idea.

It doesn't matter than "99%" of recruits have their decision made by a week before signing day. That extra 1% is comprised mostly of the superstar, top-level recruits who have the luxury of playing waiting games with schools. I can think of no easier way to guarantee that Minnesota is perpetually mediocre than to ensure you have zero chance with those types of recruits.

You're talking about changing the fundamental rules of the game. That is something I can get behind, because there are logical reasons for it and it applies to everyone equally.

What RaT is talking about is Brewster voluntarily choosing to make things much harder on himself and applying different rules to Minnesota's recruiting than those by which the remainder of D-IA is playing. And yes, that is an unfathomably terrible idea.

It doesn't matter than "99%" of recruits have their decision made by a week before signing day. That extra 1% is comprised mostly of the superstar, top-level recruits who have the luxury of playing waiting games with schools. I can think of no easier way to guarantee that Minnesota is perpetually mediocre than to ensure you have zero chance with those types of recruits.

Wrong.

I don't really know how to verify this now, but one week before signing day a (minimum) of 80 of them were already commited at that point. Plus lets not pretend that we are going to be in a position to get any of those kids anyway. If a kid wants to wait until signing, he can give a Silent Verbal. If he has still yet to make up his mind, then move on and try to find guys who can fill out your class. The coaching staff is recruiting some of these guys for over two years. If they can't commit, then move on.

Now Sean is over trying to butter up the Ohio State fan base just in case his son ends up there:

From bucknuts.com
"That's the thing. There is no false sense of hope at all, because he hasn't signed any paperwork," Sean Henderson said. "If he chooses to not pursue going to USC, then he would exercise his options, and if he ultimately chose to go to Ohio State, I would love for the fans there to accept him coming there with open arms and not feel slighted that he originally chose to go to SC."

He said his son, whose finalists also included the University of Miami, Notre Dame, Minnesota and Florida, isn't playing this out for the sake of drama. He said that while Feb. 3 was the first day national letters of intent could be signed, April 1 is the deadline.

"I can actually say we will definitely sign before April 1," Sean Henderson said. "I think once we pretty much figure out what's going to happen (with USC) toward the end of the month, I think we will be in a better position to make a final decision."

Wrong.

I don't really know how to verify this now, but one week before signing day a (minimum) of 80 of them were already commited at that point. Plus lets not pretend that we are going to be in a position to get any of those kids anyway. If a kid wants to wait until signing, he can give a Silent Verbal. If he has still yet to make up his mind, then move on and try to find guys who can fill out your class. The coaching staff is recruiting some of these guys for over two years. If they can't commit, then move on.

80 of whom?

Just answer me one simple question: Do you honestly think it's a good idea for a coach to purposefully make his job more difficult than it needs to be?

Completely unsubstantiated rumor posted on another site said basically that Sean Henderson opens every recruiting conversation with "What can you do for ME?". Lane Kiffin "Got it" and committed a HUGE recruiting violation by getting Snoop Dogg to visit the Hendersons since Sean Henderson is a fledgling rapper. USC compliance got wind of it and told Kiffin to stop recruiting Henderson immediately in lieu of their ongoing problems and will now self report themselves for this violation before it's brought up by the NCAA.

Again, it's all rumor but the post makes it clear that USC dropped Henderson, not the other way around. So, if you were a fledgling rapper who's already said he'll be moving to whichever city his son attends college in and will help represent him when he goes pro....which city would you go to? Columbus, Minneapolis, Gainesville or Miami? I know which one my money's on.

One last time...all unsubstantiated rumors but since the Hendersons have been less than forthright with the fans I think we're due a conspiracy theory or two.

LOL @ that rumor, if that is even remotely true in any way....hahaha

In his 30's....and yes....a rapper....allegedly he busted from freestyle rhymes for Doc Tressel

I'm not taking sides, just speculating on an answer to your question. One reason might be that a coach wants the last week or two to patch any holes left by decommits. I sure wouldn't want to find out on LOI day. Not much could be done then. Maybe not much could be done in the last week either, but at least it leaves some potential.

I'm not taking sides, just speculating on an answer to your question. One reason might be that a coach wants the last week or two to patch any holes left by decommits. I sure wouldn't want to find out on LOI day. Not much could be done then. Maybe not much could be done in the last week either, but at least it leaves some potential.

Exactly. Thanks for saying what I was trying to say.

Your not really doing anything wrong if prospective recruits know this upfront. I am sure every school has different policies. This is just one that I as a following recruiting fan would appreciate.

How do you patch holes in the last week if they have to agree to sign with you by one week before the deadline?

How do you patch holes in the last week if they have to agree to sign with you by one week before the deadline?

You move on. You state that said recruit is your plan A, but unfortunately have to move on to your plan B recruits. Most recruits have already verballed by this point in time, so you're really not missing out on too much.

You move on. You state that said recruit is your plan A, but unfortunately have to move on to your plan B recruits. Most recruits have already verballed by this point in time, so you're really not missing out on too much.

Am I taking crazy pills? What am I missing out on here?

How do you move on to plan B recruits, in the last week, if you don't sign anyone that hasn't verballed by one week before signing day?

I can only imagine what this place would be like if Brewster were to publicly say he was no longer interested in the #1 recruit in the state (and possibly the country) before the recruit had verbally committed anywhere. It would be like Christmas morning for all the anti-Brewster folks.

I'd love to have Seantrel, but won't be disappointed if he doesn't come just so we don't have to deal with his *&^!#*&^!#*&^!#*&^!#*&^!#*&^!#bag dad. Seriously, if these reports about Sean are even a little bit true, he is not a good man. I feel bad for Seantrel.

Am I taking crazy pills? What am I missing out on here?

How do you move on to plan B recruits, in the last week, if you don't sign anyone that hasn't verballed by one week before signing day?

Oh, now MY head hurts. Does your company have an operations manual? What percentage of policies in that publication could be interpreted in such a way that they would sound silly? How about at my local Social Security office where I recently stopped to ask a question (the time is coming I'm afraid)? There was nobody in the office save a security person and a single clerk. I stepped toward the window but was restrained by the security force, who instructed me to step back, take a number and wait to be called. Somehow it helped their operation, but made no sense on its surface. Since I really don't care how each coach handles his recruits I'm saying no more about this, which should be welcome news for all concerned.

Oh, now MY head hurts. Does your company have an operations manual? What percentage of policies in that publication could be interpreted in such a way that they would sound silly? How about at my local Social Security office where I recently stopped to ask a question (the time is coming I'm afraid)? There was nobody in the office save a security person and a single clerk. I stepped toward the window but was restrained by the security force, who instructed me to step back, take a number and wait to be called. Somehow it helped their operation, but made no sense on its surface. Since I really don't care how each coach handles his recruits I'm saying no more about this, which should be welcome news for all concerned.

I'm not at all trying to be pedantic. I'm genuinely trying to ascertain what exactly he is saying. I sincerely would like to know how we are supposed to move on to new recruits in the last week if he proposes that Brewster not sign anyone who hasn't given a verbal commitment by one week before signing day.

Top Bottom