Seantrel Saga Continues - from the Star Trib "SH is back on the market"

Sean and Seantrel continue to play the game.

Tonight, it was with Joe Schmit on KSTP...

http://www.startribune.com/sports/preps/83780287.html?elr=KArksi8cyaiUeyD8_o8cyaiUiD3aPc:_Yyc:aUU

Hi Roy - welcome to the board! I didn't want to post anything on the Sports Wrap, with people's disinterest in SH - but I watched it tonight. Joe did a good job asking the right questions, however, my take on SH did not change. He basically said he was waiting to see what went down with USC - I didn't interpret it as being back on the market...but having a Plan B.

oh jeez is this gonna be the brett favre story line in college FB.

"Fool Me Once, Shame on You. Fool me Twice, Shame on Me"

(Herb Brooks)

"There's an old saying in Tennessee. I know its in Texas its probably in Tennessee. It says, fool me once...... shame on....... shame on you................................................fool me you can't get fooled again."

-George W

The inability to make a decision is beginning to look ugly.
C'mon kid, set your course and move forward, you won't regret it.

...and that made all of the difference.

Sean and his son See and tell can only continue to play their game if we are stupid enough to throw them the ball. It has long been obvious that Sean thinks See and tell is too good for Minnesota and yet they seem to crave the attention of Minnesota fans and sports writers. If he withdraws from his verbal to USC, he still will not consider Minnesota so let them go somewhere else to play the game.

This is sooooo played. What a whip. Just sign the LOI already, Sean(trel). Maybe you and your son can get a couple of soap opera gigs out in LA...

What a joke. You're a tackle, son. A tackle. The sun's going to come up tomorrow wherever you sign. I just hope you don't bring your circus drama to my program. Go west, young man. Or east. I don't really give a *&^!#*&^!#*&^!#*&^!#.

This is sooooo played. What a whip. Just sign the LOI already, Sean(trel). Maybe you and your son can get a couple of soap opera gigs out in LA...

What a joke. You're a tackle, son. A tackle. The sun's going to come up tomorrow wherever you sign. I just hope you don't bring your circus drama to my program. Go west, young man. Or east. I don't really give a *&^!#*&^!#*&^!#*&^!#.

I'll take SH and Royce White (back) if it means more wins but no trouble. The question is if it is possible without any trouble attached? SH and his dad/Royce and his baggage.

Sean Henderson said, "I wouldn’t lose the leverage that we have. I mean, at the end of the day it’s still a business and at the end of the day it’s still my son’s future. And everything that’s going to possibly go on in his life could boil down to that decision and I wouldn’t sell him basically, per se, you know, but my son, his life away and put it in their hands not knowing, you know, what the future holds for USC or for him. And so I’d rather be able to at least let him keep his options open, because if things aren’t looking good come the 20th or the 21st [of February] or whatever, then we might have to move in a different direction, but it’s only for the sake of his future."

I wouldn't lose the leverage that we have? It's still a business? I wouldn't sell [his life away]?

Wow. I need to take a shower

I really doubt if Seantrel signed here we'd really be worried about his dad if he's starting from Day 1 and beasting (not saying he would, just hypothetically). In any event, clearly Minnesota would not be his fall back even if he were on the market, so I'm not really going to worry myself about this.

I saw nothing in the interview that told me he was "back on the recruiting market"

I have to give it up "respect" to the parents and the kid they are taking a smart approach and protecting themselves against or to what may or may not happen at USC as far as sanctions. Signing the letter of intent now would be a binding agreement for him to go to USC unless they would grant a release. Then getting an athletic scholarship become's a whole heck of a lot more complicated. Then he at least has an option to U of Miami or tOSU.

I didn't take any offense to the way the dad worded his comments by saying he would not sell his son's future short or mess it up by locking him into something that may be bad for him. The dad did make good points about academics from USC being rated fairly highly and what a difficult school it is to get into. Seantrel has a cousin that goes to school there,(some one to show him the ropes) and they have some family there so they would have some connections. I bagged on his dad for being a wannta be rapper but seeing his interview last night those comments were mostly "out of anger". I took from the interview that both his parents want what's best for there kid and what they feel is best and are only being good parent's not signing the LOI.

You could tell Seantrel felt bad about disappointing Brewster and that he at least appreciated the effort and relationship they had made. In the end the kid's got to do what he think's is best for his professional future which is "Football".

While I accept that the elder may have simply used poor or unusual choices of words/phrases and that our interpretations of the interview can differ, I will disagree with your last statement. The kid's #1 focus and concern should be on his education, because he's a knee injury away from "You're ready on pump 4."

that is true about injuries/rehab and hopefully was one of the factors for selecting USC. Who knows 1 yr at USC and he comes back to compete his Jr and Sr yr for the maroon and gold.

Three Little Words...

1. Walker
2. Lee
3. Ashley

Wouldn't be amazing if the nation's number one recruit became an asterix? I'd say it's 50-50 right now.

I took Sean's comment

As an inkling that he has some deal to deliver SH in return for something. This on top on the current investigation is too much. Sean seems to be acting as an agent, and surely some booster has gotten to him. Be it cash, a record deal, housing, or cars, if it was good enough for Reggie Bush its good enough for SH. The NCAA should be all over this, if not some investigion locally.

If I understand correctly Seantrel can't sign a letter of intent if at the time he is not academically eligible. With a 17 ACT and less than a 2.00 in core classes he might be heading to a prep school or JUCO.

Also his Dad needs the attention and so he wants to continue the saga and stay in the mix. Seantrel should focus on school right now!

Sean Henderson said, "I wouldn’t lose the leverage that we have. I mean, at the end of the day it’s still a business and at the end of the day it’s still my son’s future. And everything that’s going to possibly go on in his life could boil down to that decision and I wouldn’t sell him basically, per se, you know, but my son, his life away and put it in their hands not knowing, you know, what the future holds for USC or for him. And so I’d rather be able to at least let him keep his options open, because if things aren’t looking good come the 20th or the 21st [of February] or whatever, then we might have to move in a different direction, but it’s only for the sake of his future."

This is almost unbelieveable. And SH's future is in his hands?

If sanctions were a concern, why announce USC? Then he announces and suddenly sanctions become a concern !!! One would think that he wants SH at USC in a bad way considering the uncertainty with NCAA and his future. Ferentz saw through Sean's ploy and wisely said no thanks. After all the hoopla, SH still doesn't know where his dad want him to be next Fall. I feel sorry for the kid and I hope he has more common sense and stuff between the ears than Sean has shown.

If sanctions were a concern, why announce USC? Then he announces and suddenly sanctions become a concern !!!

Exactly. If program stability was a concern, OSU is a no brainer choice by an order of magnitude over USC, Miami, Florida and the Gophers. Something is obviously not right here, either about their decision making or some other factor like academics.

If I understand correctly Seantrel can't sign a letter of intent if at the time he is not academically eligible. With a 17 ACT and less than a 2.00 in core classes he might be heading to a prep school or JUCO.

There are no academic requirements to sign a letter of intent. Some schools won't make an offer without knowing the player will be able to enroll at their school. Unfortunately, I wouldn't be surprised if Seantrel doesn't pass the NCAA clearinghouse and has to go the Prep or Juco route.

Exactly. If program stability was a concern, OSU is a no brainer choice by an order of magnitude over USC, Miami, Florida and the Gophers. Something is obviously not right here, either about their decision making or some other factor like academics.

And if being in LA is a goal, why not consider UCLA? They have a great offensive coordinator and it seems Neuheisal has learned his lessons well.

Of course all Gopher fans want him and they know he would help out the team immensely, but we also hate games. I am sure the Hendersons are enjoying their time in the national spotlight but that ends and everyone moves on to the next big story.

I guess we still have a chance but I don't think anyone is really too worked up about it. Although he might come across as another Walker Ashley, this kid is a lot different. This kid is willing to work hard at getting better and I think he has a very good shot at making the pros no matter what team he plays for.

Can you imagine what our running backs would look like running behind Gjere and Henderson? Even I would look good behind those two! As long as the door is open, Brewster has to keep trying because the kid is that good. Unfortunately for all of us, we will have to keep hearing about it and at the end of it, he will most likely decide on someone else anyways!

No UCLA

Not "gangster" enough for Sean.

And if being in LA is a goal, why not consider UCLA? They have a great offensive coordinator and it seems Neuheisal has learned his lessons well.

I wish Seantral would go to Miami.

- Nobody is talking sanctions with the Hurricanes.
- Randy Shannon seems like a good guy(ESPN documentary aside).
- He'd get away from town to someplace warm, both items he said he'd like.
- The chances of playing the Gophers would be very slim indeed.
- Down there he could just blend in with the team.
- The Hurricanes don't get much local press of radio time unless they go 12-0 or 11-1 and are in the hunt for a National Title.
- He could just focus on getting better on the field and staying in school.
- If he gets hurt or doesn't meet NFL expectations, a degree from Miami certainly isn't something to be laughed at.

If I were in SH's shoes

I would first sit dad down and tell him this is my decision. And I would open up the possiblities. I think I want to play in a conference that has the best TV exposure. And I want to play for a team that contends. My top three would be, Florida, Alabama, and LSU.

Nope. Don't want you and your baggage (re: Your Dad who sounds almost Marinovitch-like).
Had your chance to commit to the U and you chose USC, knowing FULL WELL that the NCAA was investigating and that the hammer is probably coming down on them.

You made your decision Sentreal and now it's time to live with it, come hell or high water. That's the way life is, sometimes you make decisions that don't work out the way you hoped.

Sad

I can predict with 95% certainty that he will not have the college/pro career he would have had if he was just left alone to be a kid, make a decision and go there. I've seen so many circus acts when it comes to recruiting and they almost always negatively affects the kid involved. He didn't need to live under a microscope, he/his dad chose to put him there.

One player is not going to turn a football program around. It certainly won't hurt if he signed to the U but it wouldn't be the sure fire solution. In basketball you have five guys that play offense and defense. One player can make a huge difference. The impact of one player in football is not as great. Let him go, he doesn't want to play here anyway.

Top Bottom