royce white....can he be an evan turner (osu) type of player right away next year?

No, his shot isn't even close to Turner's. Plus, he's shooting around 40% at the FT line this year.

His touch around the hoop is superb, but outside of 10 ft he's in trouble.

No, his shot isn't even close to Turner's. Plus, he's shooting around 40% at the FT line this year.

His touch around the hoop is superb, but outside of 10 ft he's in trouble.

turner also seems like an "inside 10ft and take it to the rim" kind of player as well so that is where i saw some possible similarities.

agree that white needs to work on his free throw shooting if he is only at 40-50% this year.

White

No, he is a different kind of player with a different skill set than Turner.

I am pretty shocked that he is shooting that poorly from the FT line. I have seen Royce play since his freshman year and always thought he had a solid stroke. It has gotten better each year. I have seen him play 2-3 times this year and he has really grown. He can completely take over at any moment. He was hitting threes, creating off the dribble, dunking, rebounding, passing. He doesn't have that "wow" type of athleticism like Rodney but he is definately athletic and can get out and run. He is VERY versatile. BUT like a lot of people have said, he at times looks very bored. He knows that nobody can guard him when he is bringing his "A" game.

I think Royce will have a HUGE impact next year.

He has all the tools to be a 1st round pick in the NBA draft someday. I can't wait to see him grow under Tubby.

I will be going to the Hopkins-Wayzata section final today and give some more thoughts.

Where did this Royce can't shoot past 10 feet garbage start. I guess that 23 footer he nailed to start the North game last week was just a lucky shot. He is a very good shooter, in fact his coaches have been trying to get him to shoot more from the perimeter. Royce will face the same adjustments that all freshman do, but he will be an impact player next year.

Doesn't Royce compare more favorably to a D.J. White or Carlos Boozer type of player? He seems to have good size and good touch. Turner is more of a slasher.

Somebody earlier in the year mentioned Raymar Morgan as a possible comparison.........

Doesn't Royce compare more favorably to a D.J. White or Carlos Boozer type of player? He seems to have good size and good touch. Turner is more of a slasher.
Probably agree more with this than a Turner comparison.

Where did this Royce can't shoot past 10 feet garbage start.
Johnny, I love Royce as much as everyone, and think he will be a great addition to the Gophers next year. However, while he has hit 3's and outside shots, he's simply not that consistent to say he is a Turner-type jump shooter.

I Don't Know Any Comparisons BUT

I think Royce and Mbakwe are starting F for Gophers next season.

Turner is more of a guard than Royce...from what limited views that I've seen of Royce. Turner is going to be hard to stop in the NCAA's. I like Ohio St to beat Louisville, call me crazy, but I like Louisville to lose that game, IF they should play.

I think Royce and Mbakwe are starting F for Gophers next season.
I'd say probably a 50/50 shot of that. Maybe not the first game of the year, but at some point in the season I think it's a possibility. Mbakwe is going to surprise people.

Where did this Royce can't shoot past 10 feet garbage start. I guess that 23 footer he nailed to start the North game last week was just a lucky shot. He is a very good shooter, in fact his coaches have been trying to get him to shoot more from the perimeter. Royce will face the same adjustments that all freshman do, but he will be an impact player next year.

about three or four posts up from our esteemed friend "showningoldylove". ;)

Turner is more of a guard than Royce...from what limited views that I've seen of Royce. Turner is going to be hard to stop in the NCAA's. I like Ohio St to beat Louisville, call me crazy, but I like Louisville to lose that game, IF they should play.

i really like the evan turner kid as well. i see some big things coming from him over the next couple years if he stays in college. talk about a big break for him and he has definitely capitalized on it. he was going to be a bench player this year until david lighty for osu got hurt correct?

Mbakwe is going to give this team an instant presence down low...not to take away the improvement for Colton and Ralph.

wouldn't be a very smart player then would you...my point is i've always considered turner to be the prototype slasher. i've never used the words jump shooter when talking about him. and i think you are selling royce short - his jump shot is pretty solid.

No. I dont think so.

I dont think he compares to Turner. I dont think he will start. I dont think he will be dominating anyone. After watching a couple of his games via cable I have to say I am totally unimpressed by his effort and skills. Yes, he can dunk with great authority and he certainly has the body of a big ten player but I am not convinced he has the heart. No effort on defense wont win a lot of PT from Tubby. I wish RW well but if he expects to play for Tubby he is going to have to step it up.

And seriously, 40-50% from the line ? That cant be true.

I hope the kid proves me wrong. Time will tell.

I was told something like ~ 40-45% by someone that has seen a good sample of games. The only reason I asked him specifically about White's FT shooting is b/c I heard it was surprisingly poor for how good of a player he is and how often he gets to the line.

I've only seen him play once, but I was disappointed in Royce White. He showed he could power dunk, but that was it! No outside shot (or inside, for that matter -- I don't call dunking shooting), no passing ability, coasted on defense, had no interest in rebounding or teamplay ... but again it was just one game and hopefully I am very wrong. Will be very surprised if he can work out the ingrained problems with his shooting form, but perhaps his raw talent can be made useful with Tubby Smith's coaching and discipline.

So. . . the two local kids appear to be a couple of steaming piles?

So. . . the two local kids appear to be a couple of steaming piles?
Definitely not.

They are phenomenal talents. I just don't want people having unrealistic expectations like some did for Devoe this year; that these guys will come in and dominate on Day 1.

That's just setting up both our fans and each player for disappointment unless they aren't the next Carmelo Anthony.

Realize they both are great players, but still have a ton to work to do on their respective games before they will be dominating the Big 10 anytime soon.

Royce White

Are there still concerns about Royce's academics? I have not seen Royce play, but Turner is a very special player. Just being compared to Turner is a compliment.

So, Mbakwe has been compared to Blake Griffin by Tubby, and now Royce White is Evan Turner.. :clap:

National Championship here we come.

I saw royce play against Damian Johnson, Devron Bostic and Royce dominated in the game in the post and took the ball to the hole strong i was really impressed with him till he threw the ball at Damian and got kicked out of the game.

So, Mbakwe has been compared to Blake Griffin by Tubby, and now Royce White is Evan Turner.. :clap:

National Championship here we come.
Couple that with Nolen being compared to Rajon Rondo and Damien Johnson to Tayshaun Prince. A squad with 4 NBA first-rounders should be quite good :)

huge impact?

not to hate on him, but I am curious as to how the 19th ranked player in the nation is averaging somewhere between 11 and 15 points per game in Minnesota versus weak competition? And I realize there are other good players on Hopkins but he should be scoring in the upper 20's on a consistent basis with some 30 point games sprinkled in.

I dont think he compares to Turner. I dont think he will start. I dont think he will be dominating anyone. After watching a couple of his games via cable I have to say I am totally unimpressed by his effort and skills. Yes, he can dunk with great authority and he certainly has the body of a big ten player but I am not convinced he has the heart. No effort on defense wont win a lot of PT from Tubby. I wish RW well but if he expects to play for Tubby he is going to have to step it up.

I hope the kid proves me wrong. Time will tell.

i am sure royce is very concerned about proving YOU wrong. probably time of mind for him right now! :D

Top Bottom