royce white....can he be an evan turner (osu) type of player right away next year?

The insinuation that he doesn't play defense near the calibar of Tubby's required level of play shouldn't be a shock to anyone. Not sure if I've seen a high school kid that really knows how to play defense at the level most college coaches require - in high school college bound players typically rely too much on their athletisim to bail them out rather than play/learn good fundamental defense.

Exactly. People forget these are 17 yr old kids. It is very rare that you find a player who plays hard 100% of the time when they know their team will easily win and they know they can score at will. Most people aren't wired that way. I don't get how you see him slack a few times against a .500 team while up by 20 and assume he won't play hard for Tubby next year. I'm willing to bet 95 of the top 100 players are the same way. As a matter of fact the time I saw Hopkins play Trent Lockett who is ranked higher than Rodney by Rivals was non existent for the entire 1st quarter but nobody is questioning his effort because we're not watching him with a microscope. Back off the kid and jst be happy we have a top 20 player coming in next year

This thread cracks me up.

If Royce were scoring 30 he'd be a ball hog. If he's scoring 15, he's not good enough to take over. Royce could easily avg. 25 a game, even in the limited minutes he gets, if he wanted too. I'm guessing though that Novak would sit him down immediately.

Also, he's moved into a new situation with new players who were already established. If he came in as the alpha dog and demanded his scoring opportunities, I'm sure that would have worked out great. You'll notice his scoring went up steadily as the year moved along.

Does he act bored sometimes? Yes, he IS bored sometimes. As are most of the other Hopkins kids in several games. When challenged he'll be fine.

Royce is far from the perfect player or person. He's had his fair share of issues but the I think this year at Hopkins has improved his stock ten-fold. He's shown he unselfish on the court, he's coachable, his game is very, very good and he's controlled his emotions better although he still has his flareups from time to time.

I have nothing to do with Royce or the Hopkins program but he seems to be growing up a lot. He'll add a very good dimesion on the offensive end for Tubby. I think the best comparison will be when Tubby had Chuck Hayes. A good passer, warrior rebounding, could shoot from 15-18 feet if needed but did his work from the FT line in.

We were .500 in the Big Ten this year. Take out Shamala and Big Jon and add R. White, R. Williams, Cobbs and Mbwakwe and I expect we will be four games to the better in Big Ten play.

you are forgetting williams "dominating" in his minutes this year.

Westbrook is a pile

Westbrook averaged 40 a game in high school and has been a huge flop at Minnesota. He has no pro potential now yet should have been able to leave early for the NBA. How do you go from 40 a game to what Westbrook is producing now? He played himself right out of the league. Unbelievable. I also believe Royce White to be overated

Lawrence 21.........

"He played himself right of the league." No...... you are out of the credibility league with statements like that.

leftyslefty

So Westbrook will be playing in the NBA next year?

Should have been able..........

to leave early? Under no scenario was that possible. TJ Oakes from Jordon Minnesota got 40 and 35 in his last two outings. Will he "leave for the league," after his jr. year?

Not leave after his junior year of high school you dumbass, leave after his sophomore or junior year in college. But he has laid a goose egg as a big ten player and now has no chance in hell of ever seeing an NBA Roster.

Not leave after his junior year of high school you dumbass, leave after his sophomore or junior year in college. But he has laid a goose egg as a big ten player and now has no chance in hell of ever seeing an NBA Roster.
lawrence21, come on now.

He's maybe 5'10'', not very quick, and not a great shooter; none of that has changed since high school. I don't think anyone ever thought he was going to be fighting for a spot on an NBA roster...he's just not that good.

I disagree that he's "laid a goose egg as a Big 10 player." He's the leading scorer on a team playing in the NCAA tourney. He's not Talor Battle, but he's still had a pretty good career so far, so cut the kid some slack.

lol. I can never recall at any point a single person seriously talking about Westbrook ever being an NBA player. He was barely a top 100 HS player if I remember correctly. Now he's our best (albeit erratic) offensive player. How is that a flop?

led the nation

As a Junior in High School he (Westbrook) led the ENTIRE Nation in Scoring, I am sure he had hopes and people thought he had NBA caliber potential at that time.

As a Junior in High School he (Westbrook) led the ENTIRE Nation in Scoring, I am sure he had hopes and people thought he had NBA caliber potential at that time.

Well you're wrong. Westbrook was never considered a legit NBA prospect. Everyone in the WORLD knew he was playing against some of the weakest competition in the country in high school.

Your argument that someone's high school stats need to correlate with their college stats is laughable at best, and downright idiotic at worst.

You refused to even comment on my proof of that, with Tyshawn Taylor being the most recent example.

so what you do in high school does not matter? Tim Tebow dominating high school has nothing to do with him dominating College? Why not start a kid who never played high school ball if high school does not matter?

Tyshawn Taylor will amount to nothing at the college level, No killer instinct.

Someone shut this thread down. Either that or we will all have to stop reading Lawrence21's posts. I lose brain cells after each one.

so what you do in high school does not matter? Tim Tebow dominating high school has nothing to do with him dominating College? Why not start a kid who never played high school ball if high school does not matter?

Tyshawn Taylor will amount to nothing at the college level, No killer instinct.

you're really an idiot. What you do has a correlation but you also factor in the competition and how you're doing it. My senior year we had a guy run for 1900 yds and had 0 scholarship offers. Why? Because we ran the wishbown circa 1960 in 2002 and he was our fullback so he got the majority of carries and only averaged around 4.5 yds a carry. Dude was 5'9" 185.

Westbrook took a crazy number of shots against terrible comp and did so mainly using his superior size and strength. Still at 6' without great quickness or ballhandling he was never an NBA type of prospect. Ever.

Westbrook averaged 40 a game in high school ...
Just a note on that "40 a game average".

As a junior in Arizona he averaged 41 pts/gm. But after transferring to a prep school in Massachusetts, where I assume they must play a high level of basketball, that average dropped to 19.0 pts/gm as a senior.

Westbrook averaged 40 a game in high school and has been a huge flop at Minnesota. He has no pro potential now yet should have been able to leave early for the NBA. How do you go from 40 a game to what Westbrook is producing now? He played himself right out of the league. Unbelievable. I also believe Royce White to be overated

Is this satire?? Or are you just an idiot?

I'm hoping it's the former.

Royce is the best recruit to come to this program since Kris Humphries. PERIOD. End of Story. Pair that with possibly the second best recruit in that time period, Rodney Williams, and you have an improved team. When your gaining future starters and possible stars and the seniors your losing are role players at best the team will be better. All that matter is to win games.

Reading lawrence21's posts it is obvious he is baiting you guys.

Top Bottom