Rose Bowl thread... Skunks vs Ducks

Does Ball come back next year? I'm assuming he does, but you never know.

I would guess no, only because I don't know what he could do next year to make him more appealing to a pro team. He may have other goals in college ball, but I only think he could somehow slide back in the draft if the offense does not do what it did this year with Chryst and Wilson at the helm.

I would guess no, only because I don't know what he could do next year to make him more appealing to a pro team. He may have other goals in college ball, but I only think he could somehow slide back in the draft if the offense does not do what it did this year with Chryst and Wilson at the helm.

Looks like he might already have decided to leave for the NFL.

Clicky

Ball couldn't do much to improve his stock, but this draft class is absolutely loaded as far as offensive talent is concerned. All the QBs and WRs that are likely first rounders. Trent Richardson is a rare RB who will be a top 10 pick, plus Miller from Miami, possibly James. He might be a higher pick if he came back for 2012.

Everyone talks about defenses getting tired and worn out, but I think we saw a role reversal in that the Badger offense was fatigued. Ball had 3 4th quarter carries for 0 yards. That's almost unfathomable.
I was thinking the same thing. In the second half Wisconsin's olines and dlines were both beaten.

It's easy to win a lot of football games when you have more talent than your opponent (which, to be fair, is a credit to Enema and his staff), but games where the talent is close are usually decided by coaching. In games decided by a TD or less this year, the Vadgers were 1-3. That pretty much says it all.

Taken the words right out of my mouth.

Ball. I think Ball is pro-ready for a variety of pro offenses. Having Wilson under center for this year, Chryst designed a number of pass plays that featured Ball and Ball showed that he can catch the ball and do some things in space.

I like James and he is flat-out fast, but I don't know if he's big enough to be a featured back at the next level. Doesn't mean he won't be a valuable commodity, I just wonder how many touches he can get per game in the NFL.

This is a great discussion.. And I really don't have an opinion on who will be a better pro athlete. Ball's offensive line certainly has helped him and his draft stock. Remember, those boys are bigger than the reigning world champs' (and probably this years champs as well) offensive line. That said, LMJ is too small for the pro game (ie. Reggie Bush). Percy Harvin also has a small build for RB.. but the way he is used maximizes his potential, IMO.

I guess we'll have to wait and see. I'm torn.

I was thinking the same thing. In the second half Wisconsin's olines and dlines were both beaten.

In their defense, they haven't played too many 4th quarters.

I don't know what's considered a "close" game, but my book, it's a single digit margin. Wisconsin was 1-3 in games that were decided by single digits. I know many get on a coaching staff for playing starters well into the 4th quarter & Bielema gets hammered on this probably more than anyone, but I wonder if he'll change his approach and play starters even longer, resulting in even MORE criticism of running up the score.

Then again, I don't know if they'll be up by as many points heading into 4th quarters in the coming years since they won't be in offensive beatdown mode with Chryst departing.

Edit: dpodoll68 already beat me to the 1-3 close game stat...

Taken the words right out of my mouth.

This is a great discussion.. And I really don't have an opinion on who will be a better pro athlete. Ball's offensive line certainly has helped him and his draft stock. Remember, those boys are bigger than the reigning world champs' (and probably this years champs as well) offensive line. That said, LMJ is too small for the pro game (ie. Reggie Bush). Percy Harvin also has a small build for RB.. but the way he is used maximizes his potential, IMO.

I guess we'll have to wait and see. I'm torn.

I have to admit that I tend to go overboard a bit on Ball. I just think he's shown everything as a college running back. He's a very good one-cut runner who has also shown he can be patient and wait for the play to develop. Add to it that he caught 24 passes this season and I think he's just the total package going to the next level. I may get flambed, but I think he's the best all-around back the Badgers have had since their resurrection under Alvarez. I'm sure Dayne has his supporters (and he may have been a better college running back), but I believe Ball is going to have a better professional career.

By comparison, Beanie Wells was drafted 31st in 2009 and I think Ball is the better prospect. Depends on who needs what and with the NFL offenses increasingly starting to look like Saturday afternoon touch football games in the park, the importance of the RB position appears to be dropping. That may push Ball out of the 1st round, but I think he's going to be a very good pro.

Look at the difference between a guy that is a real coach (Dantonio) and one that is a bully with a gang (Bielema). Bielema argues a call that is non-reviewable and costs himself a TO. Dantonio, understanding the clock rules with 3:46 to go, challenges a purported catch on pass-interference on his own team. The replay showed the ball was actually dropped, so the clock does not restart after the penalty. It saved them 30 seconds.

They scored with 19 seconds left to tie the game at 27.

Ball is good. He's probably a better pro prospect than Mark Ingram. The problem is most pro scouts are going to look at Lamar Miller and Richardson as superior as far as pro potential is concerned and Chris Polk from Washington is creeping up draft boards too.

Look at the difference between a guy that is a real coach (Dantonio) and one that is a bully with a gang (Bielema). Bielema argues a call that is non-reviewable and costs himself a TO. Dantonio, understanding the clock rules with 3:46 to go, challenges a purported catch on pass-interference on his own team. The replay showed the ball was actually dropped, so the clock does not restart after the penalty. It saved them 30 seconds.

They scored with 19 seconds left to tie the game at 27.

Wow, good point. I was doing a couple of things and had this game on mute. I was wondering what the f*ck was going on when he was challenging the play.

The Sconnie staff is totally at fault for some of their decisions last night. I'd be interested in some buckyville highlights, but don't have the time to peruse through all the whining going on over there. No, scratch that, I'm gonna go waste 15 minutes.

This is the title of the first thread on Buckyville:

Moving on...New Coachs and which players are leaving

I have to admit that I tend to go overboard a bit on Ball. I just think he's shown everything as a college running back. He's a very good one-cut runner who has also shown he can be patient and wait for the play to develop. Add to it that he caught 24 passes this season and I think he's just the total package going to the next level. I may get flambed, but I think he's the best all-around back the Badgers have had since their resurrection under Alvarez. I'm sure Dayne has his supporters (and he may have been a better college running back), but I believe Ball is going to have a better professional career.

By comparison, Beanie Wells was drafted 31st in 2009 and I think Ball is the better prospect. Depends on who needs what and with the NFL offenses increasingly starting to look like Saturday afternoon touch football games in the park, the importance of the RB position appears to be dropping. That may push Ball out of the 1st round, but I think he's going to be a very good pro.

Your last portion of this is why I think you may just have to look at what exactly you're asking. If we're saying pure NFL running back, I'd go Ball in a heart beat. If we're saying yardage producer, I might be more inclined to say LMJ but it'd be tighter as I'm thinking we'll see LMJ returning kicks, punts, and catching passes more than Ball just due to the flat out speed. I agree Ball will catch some passes but the reason I earlier said James will be a Sproles-esque player is due to that speed. I have no doubt LMJ would roast Ball in a race in pads. All teams will do is try get him the ball in space and I'm thinking even if his hands are slightly suspect they will get him to the point where he can almost play a Harvin type of role and rotate around the field.
All that being said and all things waiting to come out in the wash at the combine as far as pure numbers, I'd say Ball will be the better pro prospect because of everything he brings to the table due to his versatility in running, catching, blocking, and understanding of a pro style system. LMJ might be the flashier, sexier pick which might make him drafted higher but I'm thinking the career stats on these two will depend purely on where they end up. If LMJ ends up in a place that wants to throw all day like NO, he could really excel. On the flip side, if Ball ends up somewhere where they want to run the ball like SF, he could be a solid, potentially Pro Bowl type guy just based on his ability to see the field and make the first man miss.

Top Bottom