Roll call of everyone who is done with this program

No, I don’t think you would make a very good “alpha male” at all. Be just as”…dirty, seedy as you can be. I doubt if you will improve much of anything. Problem is I don't believe you have any resources to fuel your bada$$ed talk to pull off your payment of players and all the stuff you imply. In the end You are all talk and no action...I would wager.

Maybe you are a good "dirty" dancer, disco, but, I don't think you have the cash to be a very good "bag-person"
What the hell are you talking about? Nothing about this is about me. It's about the reality of the dirty business that college sports is and has been for many decades. College football and basketball have been funded by under the table dirty money for years. Accept the truth or don't. I could not possibly give less of a shit, but denying it is just lying to yourself.

Yeah, that’s what I tell my kids.

Steal, cheat, do whatever you want…all that matters are results.

What a shit attitude.
You added an awful lot to that comment that was not written.

His point was that the players are getting paid now and so it’s fair game to expect them to perform or leave.

This isn’t a charity anymore. It’s a business, and when the salary cap goes in; it will be even more of a business.

Athletic scholarships went way too far and now Universities run AAA football teams. People get cut from AAA baseball teams all the time.

If Minnesota wants to cut football altogether like UChicago then fine. Until then, it is fair game for fans to expect, not hope for, wins.

The Vikings got booed relentlessly when they sucked. Same thing now applies to the Gophers:

done, until Coyle & Fleck are fired.
Coaching?? This is 2024.

And the AD is simply an actor...a LIAR. A spin-doctor for the administration.

It's just entertainment...so it's okay for most on here to still be delusional. Perfectly fine. My choice is to be done with it. We will never be competitive in the Big Ten.

What the hell are you talking about? Nothing about this is about me. It's about the reality of the dirty business that college sports is and has been for many decades. College football and basketball have been funded by under the table dirty money for years. Accept the truth or don't. I could not possibly give less of a shit, but denying it is just lying to yourself.
Proof?

You simply state: “…college football and basketball have been funded by under the table dirty money for years…” You have seen this happening? Names? Dates? Convictions? Going on for decades?
Proof.

I worry a lot more about dirty politicians. Dirty business practices. Dirty tax cheats. Dirty bookies trying to fix games. Insider trading just to name a few places. Tax cheating and dirty businesses practices are probably the most common offenses.

Man, you want to find dirty cheating…it’s been going on in every phase of American life and finances for a long time.

And you did infer that you favor doing anything regardless of what ever it may be to win football and basketball games at the college level. You, sir, appear to be very much in favor of “…what ever it takes to win…”

I’d say you are very much in favor of dancing dirty, disco when it comes to your college sports. This is all about your outlook and view of life re: college sports, yes? No? Maybe?

Merely winning with no ethics and at any cost in college sports, politics, the business world, in our society is very hollow, very empty and is hard to achieve.

As a fan of college sports I favor at least trying to follow the rules, cheering for the student athletes. I guess I’m just a sucker for trying to do the right thing. I realize the world doesn’t play by my rules and my value system. However: it is essential for me to follow my own ethical standards and that is what I try to do. That is what I attempt to do.

If it doesn’t always go my way, I try to never let the ba$tards get me down.

And I try to be loyal.

Go Gopher, beat the stinking maize & blue!!!

Last edited:

you can be a fan of the Gophers without expecting or demanding that they win X number of games. If your fandom is conditional based on the Gophers winning a certain number of games, then that is your right, but I personally think that way will end up driving you crazy more often than not.
My fandom definitely isn’t conditional on wins, but it is conditional on hope… even a glimmer. That's where my struggle is.

Hope for this program to reach Iowa or Wisconsin sustainability has always felt realistic to me. But, the talking heads are starting to convince me that I’ve been incorrect from the start.

Certainly not done with the program, but I'm definitely spending less attention than years past. The main reason? We're no longer playing most of our closest peers annually. The loss of Northwestern, Nebraska, and Purdue on this year's schedule really stings. Glad we're playing Illinois but that is also not annual anymore. I don't have time to follow 18 teams close enough to care.

I'm not done, just not emotionally invested.
This. There are a number of factors that have caused this (busy with family activities, NIL, transfers, constant disappointments). I used to think about the next game all week. Now I just wake up on Saturdays like "oh yeah, the Gophers play today".

This. There are a number of factors that have caused this (busy with family activities, NIL, transfers, constant disappointments). I used to think about the next game all week. Now I just wake up on Saturdays like "oh yeah, the Gophers play today".
Yeah, will never stop being a fan but it is getting harder and harder to really feel that invested in college athletics with all the chaos now in terms of rosters and money. So much of what made college athletics great is being stripped away and it is a shame.

I was a diehard fan in the Wacker years....so if that didn't scare me off, nothing will. (Exception being if it becomes minor league NFL)

Not done, not devoting the time and monetary investment as before. There value has diminished and the results are predictable.

Yes! Getting older may or may not have something to do with this as well :ROFLMAO:
It's easier to get excited when your 28

I think true Gopher fans quit the team about 2-3 years. If a Gopher fan tells you they’ve never angrily told their friends “I’m done with this bleeping program”, then I don’t trust them. It’s part of being a Gopher fan.

For those of you leaving, I understand your pain and we welcome you back, no judgment free, when you change your mind. For those of us staying, I look forward to being miserable with the rest of ya through Thanksgiving.
I'd offer that there are many people who have not quit the program, but have no faith in the current coaching staff and see no reason to believe that Fleck will magically gain a spine, learn how to coach and put substance on the field over his "style."

So I will continue to love the Gophers, my team before Peej showed up and my team long after he's gone, and continue to wait for Fleck to be gone so that we might actually have a Head Football Coach again, something Fleck is in title only, come what may on that change.

BUT Please, let that happen after Mark Coyle is canned.

I'd offer that there are many people who have not quit the program, but have no faith in the current coaching staff and see no reason to believe that Fleck will magically gain a spine, learn how to coach and put substance on the field over his "style."

So I will continue to love the Gophers, my team before Peej showed up and my team long after he's gone, and continue to wait for Fleck to be gone so that we might actually have a Head Football Coach again, something Fleck is in title only, come what may on that change.

Mark Coyle will not be fired. I’ve spent close to $200,000 in my 55 years alive. I wish it would’ve made a greater impact but that’s it. No more for me. I’ll root for the home and that’s it. Well, that’s after my trip to Pasadena.

I’m blaming CFB on my apathy. They’ve created the haves and hav nots.

Coyle is nothing more than a mouthpiece for the administration. He's irrelevant.

Fleck...out of nowhere, he gave us our only good season since 1967. So he's not the problem.

And BB has won 2 NCAA games in 27 years. So it's clear that we're trying lose.

Fleck...out of nowhere, he gave us our only good season since 1967. So he's not the problem.
I don't think it's correct to infer the second sentence from the first.

1. He wasn't the only reason for that season. Without the empire class, it doesn't happen.

2. What you may have done 5 years ago really has no bearing on whether you're a problem or not currently.

My fandom definitely isn’t conditional on wins, but it is conditional on hope… even a glimmer. That's where my struggle is.

Hope for this program to reach Iowa or Wisconsin sustainability has always felt realistic to me. But, the talking heads are starting to convince me that I’ve been incorrect from the start.
This is me too. I had hope with Brewster's top 25 recruiting class. It never panned out, but there was hope. I had hope Kill would turn it around, I had hope Fleck would bring in better recruits, etc.

Now, I just don't see hope anywhere.

This is me too. I had hope with Brewster's top 25 recruiting class. It never panned out, but there was hope. I had hope Kill would turn it around, I had hope Fleck would bring in better recruits, etc.

That was most definitely the case in 2010 when the team started 1-9 including losses against South Dakota and N Illinois, and it was clear the top 25 recruiting class by Brewster wasn't nearly as good as we'd thought. If you've lost hope now, you certainly did then as well.

There will be reasons to hope again.

There's hope everywhere you look. Just look harder. For example, I have hope the Gophers will score 3 points on Saturday.

Top Bottom