Roll call of everyone who is done with this program

I'll tune in to the games, but I won't get excited for a game/season until Fleck and Colye are gone.

Especially Coyle. His hires have been horrible or meh. Stuck with Pitino two years more then he should have and passed on Musselman who weekly would be on Dan Barrero show BEGGING for the job. Passed on Brian Dutcher (has the Gophers as his "dream job clause" in his contract) for Ben Johnson, Whalen was horrible, the current women's coach isn't much better. Wrestling coach was a downgrade from the previous one.
Geez the current women’s coach has had one year genius. Let’s give her a few more before we make declarations like that. She has won everywhere she’s been.

I have no control over anything but my own feelings, and not who the coach is, game decisions, AD, schedule, uniforms, etc. All I can control is my decision whether to be a fan or not. I made this choice 60 years ago and today’s situation is just a repeat of those years and I fully expect more to come. It’s just a part of who I am. Go Gophers!

Frustrated with how this season is going, but...
allmychipsarein-shaq.gif

We as fans have no power to change a damn thing. I love Minnesota and the Gophers. In 2019, I loved Minnesota. After getting embarrassed Saturday, I love Minnesota. I love the Gophers when we win, and as much as it sucks, I love the Gophers when they lose. The coach, the facilities, everything everyone else complains about, it makes no difference to me. It's unconditional love for me... Most of you will think I'm crazy/ stupid/ naive/ etc. Maybe one or two of you will sympathize. If you're a Gopher fan, then be a Gopher fan. If you aren't, then don't.

I agree with everything you said. I think the issue is that some fans conflate expectations with being a fan.

I am a fan of the Gophers. But I also try to keep my expectations reasonable - because there are no guarantees. being a fan does not guarantee you success.

you can be a fan of the Gophers without expecting or demanding that they win X number of games. If your fandom is conditional based on the Gophers winning a certain number of games, then that is your right, but I personally think that way will end up driving you crazy more often than not.

Ok what advantages do we have over most of the conference then?
We are not the little sisters of the poor. We have enough resource to put a much better product on the field than we have post ‘19 and certainly the past two years. To say otherwise gives a pass to PJ and he doesn’t deserve it.

We are not the little sisters of the poor. We have enough resource to put a much better product on the field than we have post ‘19 and certainly the past two years. To say otherwise gives a pass to PJ and he doesn’t deserve it.
In the Big10 we are. Do you not see the people freaking about Fleck earning an average salary for this conference? Maybe I’m missing all these stories about us offering big NIL money to beat out other teams for players. Our DC just got hired away by another conference team because we wouldn’t pay him. We couldn’t keep our NFL caliber RB from going to Oregon.

Last edited:

In the Big10 we are. Do you not see the people freaking about Fleck earning an average salary for this conference? Maybe I’m missing all these stories about us offering big NIL money to beat out other teams for players. Our DC just got hired away by another conference team because we wouldn’t pay him.
Over 50% of the Big Ten has no clear advantages over us. What advantage do the Hawkeyes have?

I'm not done, just not emotionally invested.

Why should I be?

#1 - Financial parity in college football is slowly on the way. But right now? Yikes, NIL + transfer situation means yearly free agency where top talent goes to the highest bidder.
#2 - The U of M is near the cellar in the Big Ten in football program money. Without true revenue sharing, this will not change.

I hope Fleck and Co turn things around this year, but the schedule is not promising. Coaching implosions like this latest Iowa game remind me of Mason's Texas Tech game. The players were good enough, the coaches were not.

It's difficult enough with #1 and #2. Minnesota doesn't need more hurdles.

There is true revenue sharing in the B1G.

But you didn't answer the question. I suspect it's because you can't, but I'll check back to see if you actually do.

But you didn't answer the question. I suspect it's because you can't, but I'll check back to see if you actually do.
What are you looking for a dissertation? Do I think that the U of M is better than Iowa or Wisconsin or Purdue or Rutgers… Yes, I do. Do we have challenges against Ohio State and Michigan and Oregon… Sure. Pleading the fact that we are at a disadvantage over the majority of the Big Ten schools is just nonsense.

Lot better recruiting ground in Missouri.
Their tick up in recruiting is recent and from the new coach. They were basically a .500 program the six seasons leading up to last year. Pinckel had a nice little run but before that, for like a 20 year stretch, they were not good.

It’s significantly better for just instate, but it’s massively better when you look at the surrounding states as well.
I can't agree. Better instate, not significantly when you look at their classes. They recruit better from the same states Fleck recruits from, but not massively better.

There is true revenue sharing in the B1G.

That's only correct from a tv contract point of view. So let's rephrase that to a "revenue sharing system with money that in a better way supports the same league's smaller market teams and a player salary cap". We literally have pro leagues examples that do that. And while we're at it, let's have a draft, contracts, and maybe even trades. Might as well go full pro. 🤷‍♂️

Last edited:

Great kids giving their best. Who cares. It's a business. Results matter. If you want to feel good about college kids playing for the love of the game, go watch the MIAC. This is big time and big money entertainment and if people want to spend their discretionary income on things that entertain them more, I can't say I blame them.
Very well said, and so very true. This is not bingo anymore, we have truly reached the big time with College sports and it's either compete, or don't. Fleck is not taking us anywhere as he's just unable to recruit the players needed. How is Iowa and Wisconsin able to consistently recruit? They have zero advantage over us BUT they have complete coaching staffs versus what we have with guys who would NOT be coordinators anywhere else but here. Fleck, really loved the guy at first when he came in as I thought the discipline is what this program really needed BUT he's a horrible coach that makes questionable decisions every game and every quarter of every game.

We have zero chance against the big time programs these days (when was our last good game against a big time program and a harder question to face, when was our last win where nobody thought we had a chance?) as we just don't have the horses to go nose to nose.

I don't spend my Saturday's any longer watching the Gophers, could be that my daughter is dating a player who starts for Cal out here so more time spent watching them. I started recording the Gophers to watch them later about 3 years ago as that is about when I realized Fleck was not taking the year we finished top 10 and building on it recruiting wise. He was never able to do that and I think it is due to all of his unorthodox ways of coaching and I think that's trickled over to how he's unable to land a good OC or DC along with all the other coaches (Special teams, strength coach etc..) as I just don't think many coaches want to be associated with his way of doing things. I have been called a star chaser because I follow recruiting and was not impressed over the last few years with the classes we've put together and pointed that out here but that's how you build programs. Yes, NIL and transfers have become an issue BUT again, how are Wisconsin and Iowa holding it together?

I'll follow the team and read about them and watch the recordings but I've lost a tremendous amount of enthusiasm I had when Fleck first arrived. For me, the only way to get it back is IF they move on from Fleck and find a HC (they can do it, we've seen them land guys in the past and hey, we're in the B1G, who doesn't want to coach here?) that can do things the 'normal' way.

Nonsense.
Go on...
Edit: I see you responded to a few others. I still disagree. We are at the very, very bottom of NIL. That alone puts us at a huge disadvantage. Then add 50+ of not winning anything. I could go on. Sure, it could change but it hasn't.

Last edited:

Exactly. People who try to act like they're on some high horse of virtue when it comes to major college sports amuse me. If you're a fan of the game and think it's "about the kids" or "school spirit" or anything like that, you are absolutely fooling yourself. He can call me "alpha male" or whatever (certainly not true), but I've accepted I'm a fan of what is a dirty, seedy business in many ways.
No, I don’t think you would make a very good “alpha male” at all. Be just as”…dirty, seedy as you can be. I doubt if you will improve much of anything. Problem is I don't believe you have any resources to fuel your bada$$ed talk to pull off your payment of players and all the stuff you imply. In the end You are all talk and no action...I would wager.

Maybe you are a good "dirty" dancer, disco, but, I don't think you have the cash to be a very good "bag-person"

I think true Gopher fans quit the team about 2-3 years. If a Gopher fan tells you they’ve never angrily told their friends “I’m done with this bleeping program”, then I don’t trust them. It’s part of being a Gopher fan.

For those of you leaving, I understand your pain and we welcome you back, no judgment free, when you change your mind. For those of us staying, I look forward to being miserable with the rest of ya through Thanksgiving.

Top Bottom