Roland Johnson is a Gopher

The kid looks fast but a little smaller.

He was listed at 6'0" 240-245 last season coming out of HS. He is listed at 6'2" 295 now, and I just don't think that is a possibility. If I had to guess, he's somewhere around 6'0" 265-270 now. He has a few months to get himself closer to 275 and that should be good enough size.

I did hear someone say that they didn't think he was going to graduate JuCo in December, so he wouldn't be enrolling in January. Was that incorrect? Any updates?

Welcome aboard Roland!

He plays with very good leverage and has good speed on his first step. Some more size will obviously be important at the Big Ten level. Here's hoping he hits the weights. If he does, he has the other tools.

supadupafly said:
anyone have specific details that they can/are willing to share about roland johnson?
This was reported last week. Keep up.

Jonathan Harden is 6' 300 lbs. Why did they not consider him instead? Is it due to thin sophomore & junior classes due to attrition from Brewster's crop of kids? Don't get me wrong. This kid looks like a football player.

Welcome aboard Roland! Is he a 3 year guy like Boddy or a 2 year guy like most JUCOs? His scout profile says he is a sophomore, but I don't know if that means he's currently a sophomore or he will be a sophomore when he arrives on campus. :confused:

Jonathan Harden is 6' 300 lbs. Why did they not consider him instead? Is it due to thin sophomore & junior classes due to attrition from Brewster's crop of kids? Don't get me wrong. This kid looks like a football player.
Based on observing him in civies, J H is about 5"9" and 260. He may turn out to be a great player, but the stats as advertised are not close.

If he were fast enough to play on the kick coverage team on the outside (I know he isn't) - he'd be our own version of an excellent Warren Zevon (r.i.p.) song . . .

Roland (the Headless) Johnson Gunner.

A stretch, I know . . . just sayin' . . .

"Talkin' about the man . . . "

Nice! If Harden was indeed 6' 300 lb I'd rather have him. But this guy appears to have a pretty solid motor. Hopefully we will be able to red-shirt Hinojosa a year and let him develop.

From the article:

Johnson chose the Golden Gophers over a number of schools like, Illinois, Toledo, Akron, Middle Tennessee, Colorado State, New Mexico State, and several others.

Though a host of schools were in pursue of Johnson, the big DL’s decision ultimately came down to Minnesota and one other Big Ten program. “Illinois was the other school that I was looking at pretty hard,” Johnson said. “But Minnesota was always on top. They’ve been following me the longest, and have been recruiting me harder than everyone else. They came after me like they really wanted me.”

http://hssouthcarolina.scout.com/2/1149616.html

Go Gophers!!

It's always hard for me to get excited about guys on highlight films, but this kid plays with good strength and a great motor. I'm feeling much better about our interior situation on D with him coming in.

If Harden were 6-0, he would have likely been one of the top inside d-line recruits in the country.

Not rated as yet by Rivals; 2** from Scout. Schools were starting to make a late push for him. ( ILL, WSU,etc) Was suppose to visit Colorado State this weekend. IMO, this was a good get. Just wish he could've been a early enrollee.

If he were fast enough to play on the kick coverage team on the outside (I know he isn't) - he'd be our own version of an excellent Warren Zevon (r.i.p.) song . . .

Roland (the Headless) Johnson Gunner.

A stretch, I know . . . just sayin' . . .

"Talkin' about the man . . . "

I don't know if I would want a johnson gunner after me johnson...

Good get for us. He'll contribute right away.

Good. We landed a game ready DT which was one of my priorities for this class.

For you star gazers, Rivals has him at a 3*

harden is a bad body guy

Plays with a bad looking body type, a little bit of a gutt. He is not anywhere near 6-0 tall either 5-8 to 5-9
and about 270 I would say. Moves well for a short guy and plays with good leverage for a short guy. If he were blessed with
more height he would have a lot more offers. Gophers had him in camp and did not offer so he is like Larson they]
figure they have better players recruited at the same spot.

Plays with a bad looking body type, a little bit of a gutt. He is not anywhere near 6-0 tall either 5-8 to 5-9
and about 270 I would say. Moves well for a short guy and plays with good leverage for a short guy. If he were blessed with
more height he would have a lot more offers. Gophers had him in camp and did not offer so he is like Larson they]
figure they have better players recruited at the same spot.

Hard to tell his height. The Butler CC roster also has him listed as 6'2" and 294, but they it also says he is from North Carolina and I think that its actually South Carolina, so the accuracy of this can be questioned, as is often the case. http://grizzlies.butlercc.edu/football/footballroster.cfm

Hard to tell his height. The Butler CC roster also has him listed as 6'2" and 294, but they it also says he is from North Carolina and I think that its actually South Carolina, so the accuracy of this can be questioned, as is often the case. http://grizzlies.butlercc.edu/football/footballroster.cfm

I believe he was talking about Harden from Cretin.

Harden measured out at 5'10" (I believe) at a camp before his SR season. I believe that is probably where he is at right now. Everyone on here knows my opinion of the kid, but I have faith Kill knows more than I do.

There was a misconception that Harden was merely a gap filler / Pat Williams type of DT and I don't think that is the case. I think Harden and Roland Johnson are very similar kinds of DTs. Roland Johnson is probably a tinge more athletic. I don't think Johnson is 6'2" 294, if I had to guess, i'd say 6'0" 270 and Harden is 5'10" 285.

You all do understand that according to the butler cc football site he was 14th on his team in tackles with 27, 7th on his team in TFL with 7, and tied for 6th in sacks with 3? Understand that this was against lineman who were all freshman and sophomores, most of whom will not play four year college football.

You all do understand that according to the butler cc football site he was 14th on his team in tackles with 27, 7th on his team in TFL with 7, and tied for 6th in sacks with 3? Understand that this was against lineman who were all freshman and sophomores, most of whom will not play four year college football.

Now I see why WMU didn't offer.

Top Bottom