RIP Sid Hartman 😢

No way around it, clearly a legend. He'll be miss as the majority if not all of the coaches enjoyed being around Sid.

When Sid was born basketball had only been a sport for 30 years.

If Sid met someone who was 75 when he was a little kid the person would’ve been alive before Minnesota was a state.

One of a kind! When you think anything Minnesota sports you have to include Sir Sidney!
RIP.

Reactions: Go4

Incredible life and career in sports. As with a great many Minnesota sports fan, he was an early concierge to the world of Gophers, North Stars, Twins, and Vikings-it was a great day when his column was in the Star & Tribune and for years, my Gopher basketball and football recruiting nuggets were fed by his “Jottings” section. It’s said too often, but truly, there will never be a sports media career like his again.

RIP Sid.

Rest In Peace, Sid. I read more of your columns than any other writer anywhere. And it’s not even close. Your time here was well spent.

He was still on the radio at 99 years of age. I know he needed some help but he was still doing it at that age which is astonishing !!!!

Badger fan here, coming over to express my condolences on the death of Sid. He truly was a legend, not just in Minnesota, but throughout the Big Ten (well, maybe not Nebraska, Rutgers, or Maryland.)

He and Roundy Coughlin can harangue each other in heaven. Sid will get the last word, as he lived to 100, whereas Roundy was a mere 82 when he died. But Roundy, famous for never buying his own drinks, could probably still drink him under the table.

RIP, Sid. An era has ended.

Someone should make a movie about Sid's life. RIP Sid.

Wow. Dude was a rock. Unbelievable the resiliency of someone that old.....still ticking the way he did.

RIP, Sid.

Sid had his normal article in today's paper. Wonder who the Ghost writer is?

One of my favorite radio bits when I still lived I MN, was listening to the good natured ribbing (mixed with a ton of love) on Soucheray and Reusse's (before he turned total D) show. The bit was how Sid, in his column, would always provide a reason why whatever MN team was playing a goliath would get their azz kicked (Set up the loss), because they were coached by Knight or owned by Steinbrenner etc..., however there was a chance for a upset (Ray of Hope) for an upset and our lads would be victorious - Comedy Gold - they gave multiple examples and each one had me laughing harder.

Sid was universally lauded as being the hardest working member of the TC media - he came a long way from selling the paper as a kid!

I also think it is fitting, me passed on the day that the Zimmer era of the Vikes ended, more memorable IMO than winning a meaningless game to go 2-3 - the cycle of life - all things end and then new thing begin.

Rest in Peace Sir Sidney - you would be knighted if we followed that practice here - in fact, that would be a cool idea to make him MN's first knight - start a new tradition and honor him first - that would be great way for the state to garner some positive vibes, in my opinion.

The original " Homer " for MN sports. Condolences to his family.

Top Bottom