RIP Sid Hartman 😢

This gem with Mase when he came to my LLS fundraiser in 2012. I was with Mase when he got Sid's call the night before and was like, "why wasn't I invited?" after he'd plugged it on KFAN.

I remember Dusty sharing this story with me when I interviewed him, I was cracking up. It's a public post and wanted to share it here...
1603082022199.png

These are great stories/tweets, thanks for sharing them. How great is it that Sid got to see Gopher football get back to relevancy one last time? To see them in the top 5 (albeit briefly) in the country, mentioned in contention for the college football playoff? The University of Minnesota lost an amazing supporter in Sid Hartman.

Did he die before or after Cousins first interception?

Rest in Peace, Sid.

As I get older I come to realize that other than some sibs, there are very few people that have been in my life for as long as I can remember.

Sid was one of them.

Rest In Peace Sid.

I Looked just out of curiosity-

Per the Guinness Book of World Records

LONGEST RUNNING NEWSPAPER COLUMNIST

Who- SID HARTMAN
What- 74:140 YEAR(S):DAY(S)
Where- UNITED STATES (MINNEAPOLIS)
When- 28 JANUARY 2020

The longest serving newspaper columnist is Sid Hartman (USA) who has written for the Star Tribune in Minneapolis, Minnesota, USA, since 11 September 1945, for a total of 74 years and 140 days, as verified on the 28 January 2020.
Sid Hartman had his first byline for the Star Tribune on 4 November 1944, and began a weekly sports column on 11 September 1945. A beloved figure in the local community, Sid continues to write weekly columns as he approaches his 100th birthday.

I think Doug Grow, old Tribune columnist, has the best summation of Sid's relationship to the Gophers:
"Mostly, I think I understood Sid. He was simply a super fan of all things Minnesota (but especially University of Minnesota men’s sports teams). When the boys didn’t win, he was in pain. And when they didn’t win, it wasn’t because the Minnesota coach failed, or the Minnesota athlete stumbled. It was because the university needed to build a new stadium, or because the refs cheated, or the opposing coach violated NCAA recruiting rules."

Sid memories:

I had just moved here and there was a televised press conference with I think Ziggy and Roger Godell making a pitch that the Vikings needed a new stadium. The crowded press room, Ziggy and Godell standing side-by-side up at the podium, and about 25 microphones all packed into a bunch at the front of the podium. Then as they're taking you see this arm poke through the two of them, from behind, with someone holding this old-looking microphone. Ziggy and Godell part a bit and there's Sid, up on the stage standing behind them with his arm sticking through holding the mic. I thought he was some sort of comic genius, getting a laugh out of the press event. Ends up, it was just Sid doing the stuff Sid did. He was one of a king.

Mike Max: “Sid, what do you think about the whole Tara Lapinsky thing?”

Sid: “I’m so sick of hearing about her and Clinton.”

My cousin and I belong to this not so exclusive club also.
Too many stories of him just not being a nice person to people it wasn't important for him to be nice to. Very unfortunate, but that was kind of the way the big sports writers were in that era; they were Kings and were worshipped by many for covering the favorite team

RIP Sid. You had a heckuva run, well done.

If you haven't listened to this interview, you must. Unbelievable.

Great article in the Strib today written by Jeff Day, who helped prop up the Sid column in the paper over Sid's later years.

Great article in the Strib today written by Jeff Day, who helped prop up the Sid column in the paper over Sid's later years.
Yep. Best tribute yet to Sid. We can finally stop wondering who actually did the writing; but Jeff Day leaves no doubt that it was Sid digging up the content, even to the end.

Top Bottom