Revised List

True, but at 60 years of age with a pile of money already in the bank he may not just be chasing the largest paycheck.

He might also be a little leery to bite the hand that fed him.

I know you can't judge things on a game or two, but I caught a little bit of Houston's loss to Tulsa and thought to myself that Sumlin's stock may be in a (brief?) period of decline.

I know you can't judge things on a game or two, but I caught a little bit of Houston's loss to Tulsa and thought to myself that Sumlin's stock may be in a (brief?) period of decline.

I think your right. Doogie actually tweeted that a few nights ago. He also said Hoke's stock was on the rise because of his teams performance against TCU.

Fedora, Riley, Calhoun, Schiano and Hoke

1. No
2. No, he is not leaving Oregon State again
3. He will be considered
4. No
5. He will be considered

Plus I just had to respond to get two Seinfeld characters posted back-to-back.

I really have no idea anymore what Maturi is thinking.

The rumor mill has gone dry and I personally think he wants to hire a coach who is currently working. So we won't hear anything new for a while.

(1) We have just as good of chance as anyone at getting Bellotti or Leach. I really think it is if we want them bad enough. Obviously with Leach they want nothing to do with him. Bellotti is a different story.

(2)I want nothing to do with Golden if he needs a Penn State clause in the contract. We got burned on that many years ago with Holtz.

(3) I want nothing to do with Jagodzinski as well. The guy can coach, but he wants an NFL job in the worst way. He is out of here the second he can. Now him coming to Minnesota may actually hinder his chances at an NFL job as success would not come easy and that is what he will need in order to attract NFL GM's but still, I want nothing to do with him.

Agreed on Golden but as for Holtz, Keller the President at the time and Paul Giel both said their was no Notre Dame clause in Lou's contract. They said if he wanted to take the job they didn't want to try and make him stay. Holtz didn't mention it at the time either.

Nope, the only guy who mentioned it was Sid who used it to explain why the weasel left. Years later he said it was because of the way he was treated by Keller. "Lou had to wait in the hall!":eek: He also wrote that Lou would have stayed if he was made A.D. Im sure I missed some.

Sid has succeeded in creating an Urban Legend. "When the legend becomes the truth print the legend!"

Agreed on Golden but as for Holtz, Keller the President at the time and Paul Giel both said their was no Notre Dame clause in Lou's contract. They said if he wanted to take the job they didn't want to try and make him stay. Holtz didn't mention it at the time either.

Nope, the only guy who mentioned it was Sid who used it to explain why the weasel left. Years later he said it was because of the way he was treated by Keller. "Lou had to wait in the hall!":eek: He also wrote that Lou would have stayed if he was made A.D. Im sure I missed some.

Sid has succeeded in creating an Urban Legend. "When the legend becomes the truth print the legend!"

Whether or not there was an actual clause in Holtz's contract isn't all that important. It was no secret that Holtz wanted the Notre Dame job. Everyone coaching in the 1980's wanted the Notre Dame job.

The point is, if Golden truly wants the Penn State job there is little stopping him if it comes available and he applies and gets it.

Therefore, we are better off selecting a candidate that truly wants to be here. I can't tell you who that candidate is though, maybe besides Trestman.

Why would Dan Mullen leave Mississippi State already just to rebuild again? Minnesota from Mississippi State would be a pretty lateral move at this point. If he can continue building up Mississippi State, why wouldn't he wait for a truly big time job to open up?

It's not like Lane Kiffin leaving Tennessee for his dream job at USC.

Why would Dan Mullen leave Mississippi State already just to rebuild again? Minnesota from Mississippi State would be a pretty lateral move at this point. If he can continue building up Mississippi State, why wouldn't he wait for a truly big time job to open up?

It's not like Lane Kiffin leaving Tennessee for his dream job at USC.
Money would be the main and possibly only reason. I have no idea how much more Mississippi State could pay him (1.2 right now I believe).

I can't imagine the Cam Newton thing looks good for Mississippi State either. I realize they didn't give him any money but it still can't look good for the program.

Cam Newton

I don't think the Cam Newton situation is going to sit well with the administration, regarldess of whether or not Mullen is guilty of anything or not.

What about Terry Bowden? National Coach of the Year, coached 11-0 perfect season at Auburn, 30-14-1 lifetime in the SEC (!!!), currently 17-3 at N. Alabama & allegedly looking to get back to big time football?

I just saw his name mentioned last night, but I immediately like Terry Bowden a lot more than anyone on these second tier lists. I could live with Calhoun or Sumlin, but I think Bowden's more of a home run than of those second tier guys. The dude from Navy? The guy from BC? UConn? Temple? SD St? Gimme Terry Bowden over that crap.

What about Terry Bowden? National Coach of the Year, coached 11-0 perfect season at Auburn, 30-14-1 lifetime in the SEC (!!!), currently 17-3 at N. Alabama & allegedly looking to get back to big time football?

I just saw his name mentioned last night, but I immediately like Terry Bowden a lot more than anyone on these second tier lists. I could live with Calhoun or Sumlin, but I think Bowden's more of a home run than of those second tier guys. The dude from Navy? The guy from BC? UConn? Temple? SD St? Gimme Terry Bowden over that crap.
Bowden was 11-0 with a team that had very few of his players. He still did alright with his own players. I think he's a bit risky although. His last D1 job was in 1998, that's a long time ago. It's also tough to say how well he would be able to recruit up here. He might be worth a shot but I think it would be a risky one.

I personally like Kill. His first year at Southern Illinois they were 1-10. By his third year there, they were 10-2. He had five years in a row of 9+ wins at SI, that's pretty impressive. He also took Northern Illinois who had won two games the year before he got there and took them to a bowl game the next year. He's headed for his third consecutive bowl in three years at Northern Illinois (8-2 this year, 6-0 in conference). My only concern would be his health. I can't imagine that he would still be coaching if it was that much of a problem. I'd be happy with him and some others, we'll see what happens.

Anyway you can shrink down that annoyingly large picture?

I gotta think that Bellotti and Leach are out of the picture. I just don't see the administrtaion allowing a each hire and can't think of a good reason why Bellotti would want the job (not to mention the fact that I don't see him as being what the program needs). Edsall is also someone I just don't think fits the bill. I also don't see Sarkisian being the answer. So the 3rd revision of my list has just 12 candidates...

1. Patterson
2. Harbaugh
3. Peterson
4. Hoke
5. Niumatololo
6. Mullen
7. Bowden
8. Calhoun (who I think is going to end up at Colorado)
9. Sumlin
10. Golden (who I think is going to hold out for Penn State)
11. Stoops
12. Kill

12 days until I think we name a coach, 12 cadidates remaining...

I just think as a Big Ten school with a new stadium, BTN money, and the willingness to pay top 20 money we need a guy who has proven he can win against elite competition.

1. Gary Patterson
2. Jim Harbaugh
3. Chris Petersen
4. Mike Leach
5. Kevin Sumlin
6. Ken Niumatololo
7. Mike Bellotti
8. Terry Bowden
9. Mark Richt
10. Al Golden

Not necessarily just these guys but somebody who has won BCS level games.

I agree but why is Belotti so low on this list? He has a dynamite track record. I think he ranks ahead of Sumlin and Leach and maybe Peterson (Hawkins was good at BSU too).

I agree but why is Belotti so low on this list? He has a dynamite track record. I think he ranks ahead of Sumlin and Leach and maybe Peterson (Hawkins was good at BSU too).

Probably the belief that he is better suited for pac ten then big ten, but the big ten has struggled with the pac ten in bowl games so MN might get a boost from him.

Also is the believe Colorado is going to be his destination, but that might not happen either, so if he wants to coach again, Mn is still an option.

Don't you think that if Belotti was the coach we are going for that we would have already hired him?

Don't you think that if Belotti was the coach we are going for that we would have already hired him?

Hard to say. It depends on if Belotti is examining his options as well.

Honestly, I would rather the Gophers go through this process then make a quick hire only to regret it. There is way to much behind closed doors stuff that happens the average fan is not privy to that goes into making a decision. The only way to sift through that is to do due diligence and get the info.

There is no guarantee Belotti 1. wants to be at MN 2. will win at MN and 3. May be unemployed right now for a reason the average fan is not aware off (don't know one way or another...just speculating) or who knows, maybe he already has been and the school is waiting for the end of the season before saying anything so as not to cause further disruption in the locker room and give Belotti the chance to evaluate the current team players.

Forgive my saying this, but if Belotti was considered a Tubby hire, he probably would already be hired.

I don't think the Cam Newton situation is going to sit well with the administration, regarldess of whether or not Mullen is guilty of anything or not.

What wouldn't sit well? They didn't break any rules and by all accounts they did the proper thing and reported it to the conference. Nothing about this story would suggest MSU was in the wrong, except for fans who would consider them tattle tales.

Candidate pool shrinking

If the reports are true that Harbaugh said, "thanks but no thanks" and SI is correct in their speculation that Al Golden is holding out for the Penn State job, that takes my candidate pool down to 10. 10 candidates, 10 days until I think we name our next coach. So here is the new list:

1. Gary Patterson
2. Chris Petersen
3. Brady Hoke#
4. Ken Niumatololo#
5. Troy Calhoun#
6. Dan Mullen
7. Terry Bowden
8. Kevin Sumlin
9. Jerry Kill
10. Mike Stoops

Patterson or Petersen are longshots but would obviously be worth a call and be considered a homerun hire. The next three-Hoke, Niumatololo, Calhoun-would make nice hires. Mullen is unlikely but would be a nice hire. The rest come with some question marks but are all an upgrade over what we had in the Brewster era.

Because

I put Belotti there because word is he isn't coming. Leach supposedly isn't coming either but is willing to come which is why I listed him higher. If they were both available, I change my mind too often as which one I'd like better.

Same for Richt, no indication he's available or coming but he does get mentioned.

"I put Belotti there because word is he isn't coming." I haven't seen this"word" posted anywhere, where is it coming from?

nothing solid

"I put Belotti there because word is he isn't coming." I haven't seen this"word" posted anywhere, where is it coming from?

I don't believe Belotti has said he is interested. Maybe that doesn't say anything maybe it does?
He also has not said he isn't interested as far as I know.

But when he was a "hotter" buzz word on here the comments were he wasn't....I formed that opinion from some reliable internet source...maybe Doogie....maybe just majority poster opinions

Maybe because he turned down Colorado and because he isn't addressing Minnesota...maybe we are all just awaiting his announcement on Saturday?

Down to 9

I'm removing Terry Bowden from the list d/t having too luch potential baggage and being out of the bigtime for so long. I'm also removing Dan Mullen (much to the chagrin of many on this board)--I just don't see him leaving Mississippi State for Minnesota. The job he has right now is better than the job we have right now, not that Minnesota couldn't BE a better job, it just isn't right now IMO. As a result of some news reported on the board over the last couple of days, I am re-adding Al Golden as a potential candidate although I still don't think his candidacy has legs d/t his desire to be Penn State's next coach so I have listed 8th of 9...

1. Gary Patterson--team is likely to be nudged from a title shot through no fault of their own--that's gotta make him think twice about staying at TCU
2. Chris Petersen--team may get a title shot so he is becoming less-and-less likely by the day
3. Brady Hoke
4. Troy Calhoun--although I think Colorado has a better shot to land him that the U does
5. Ken Niumatololo
6. Kevin Sumlin
7. Jerry Kill
8. Al Golden--a logshot d/t PSU situation"
9. Mike Stoops

We're hopefully in the home stretch now. Depending on what these candidates say if and when they are contacted, we may be naming a coach in the next 9 days...

Dream on-Harbaugh, Belotti, Patterson
My realistic choice-Jerry Kill (Meets all of President Bruininks requirements and he will be making the hire.)
No way-Leach, Golden, Sumlin

This is probably better posted here:

If Bellotti and Richt are both out (I'm not convinced yet on Richt (Go GT!)) and Harbough, Petersen and Patterson were never in, then my current tiers are:

-Hoke (he's growing on me)
-Golden-only second because of the PSU elephant that would be in the room.

-Fulmer
-T. Bowden

-Calhoun
-Kill

-Edsall
-Sumlin

Leach: MN is too good for him, not squeeky clean and would come with perceived garbage.
Golden: I would be OK with that hire but I am leery of him sniffing out PSU when PaJoe is ready for his rocking chair. We don't need another Slew Holtz.
Sumlin: Has not turned around a struggling program. Show me some D.

IMO, Jerry Kill is best qualified other than the obvious dream choices.

Top Bottom