Revised List

Indiana Gopher

Indiana Gopher
Reaction score
The past week has brought some new candidates into the discussion, seen some more jobs come available, and given us another week to assess potential candidates and their strengths and weaknesses. IMO the list of potential candidates looks like this, in order of preference:

1. Gary Patterson*
2. Jim Harbaugh*
3. Chris Peterson*
4. Dan Mullen#
5. Kevin Sumlin#
6. Troy Calhoun# (I think he'll end up at Colorado)
7. Ken Niumatololo#
8. Terry Bowden#
9. Brady Hoke#
10. Randy Edsall#
11. Al Golden (he's only this low as I think he would plan to jump to PSU when JoePa retires, thus requiring us to start over aghain in 1-3 years)
12. Mike Bellotti
13. Mike Stoops
14. Mickey Matthews
15. Jerry Kill

* Yes, I realize our chances to lure one of these candidates is slim-and-none
# This is the pool from which I am hoping we will find our next head coach

1. Mullen
2. Hoke
3. Calhoun
4. Edsall
5. Sumlin
6. Niumatololo

1. Harbaugh
2. Patterson
3. Peterson
4. Hoke
5. Bellotti
6. Golden
7. Mullen
8. Niumatolo
9. Calhoun
10. Stoops

I'm hoping we won't have to go past this list. I think the Mickey Matthews thread was a joke and you took the bait. I too agree the first three are Hail Mary attempts, but worth a call.

Don't be so quick to send Calhoun to Colorado.

Remember, he is a Air Force grad and loves the discipline and conservative values the academy stands for (At least thats what I've read and have been told)

Colorado is one of the most liberal universities in the nation. That may go against them.

I'd add Richt to the "dream list" section. I see ESPN suggests that Colorado is eyeing him as well.

1. Harbaugh
2. Patterson
3. Peterson
4. Hoke
5. Bellotti
6. Golden
7. Mullen
8. Niumatolo
9. Calhoun
10. Stoops

I'm hoping we won't have to go past this list. I think the Mickey Matthews thread was a joke and you took the bait. I too agree the first three are Hail Mary attempts, but worth a call.

I like this list.

I wish Patterson would just say to hell with all this BCS BS and come to the Big Ten and Minnesota already!

Just Wondering?

Why do you guys like Edsall? He is from a lower level of football and can't win in twelve years at that level...how is he going to suddenly become better versus better competition in all segments of the job? One winning season in the last seven in an inferior conference? How does he make anybody's list?

Why do you like Hoke? Same thing...he is 38 and 46 as a head coach. We just fired a guy who went to two bowls. Hoke has gone to two in eight years at much lesser competition. We gotta hire somebody with better track records.

Dan Mullen is the same thing. He's got one winning season. He might be good, he might suck.
There is no way to know.

I just think as a Big Ten school with a new stadium, BTN money, and the willingness to pay top 20 money we need a guy who has proven he can win against elite competition.

1. Gary Patterson
2. Jim Harbaugh
3. Chris Petersen
4. Mike Leach
5. Kevin Sumlin
6. Ken Niumatololo
7. Mike Bellotti
8. Terry Bowden
9. Mark Richt
10. Al Golden

Not necessarily just these guys but somebody who has won BCS level games.

Here are my realistic coaches in order.

1.) Troy Calhoun
2.) Mike Bellotti
3.) Ken Niumatololo
4.) Kevin Sumlin
5.) Brady Hoke

Don't even bother mentioning the big 3 in realistic candidates and I think Bellotti is also out. After listening and hearing what Maturi had to say I think he is set on getting a coach who is currently employed.

I would be happy with anyone of those candidates above.

Why I like Hoke he's turned loser's into winners. It may take two -three years yo turn this mess around. I happen to like Mullen better. A winning season in SEC is impressive.

Why do you like Leach? He really didn't do anything better than Mason like stuff at Tech? He won't be your next coach.

Leach

Why I like Hoke he's turned loser's into winners. It may take two -three years yo turn this mess around. I happen to like Mullen better. A winning season in SEC is impressive.

Why do you like Leach? He really didn't do anything better than Mason like stuff at Tech? He won't be your next coach.

Leach's won loss record is 84 and 43 versus top competition. He went to 10 straight bowl games.

Leach's conference record is 47-33

Glen Mason is 123-121 and 32-48 in the Big Ten. Nobody ever played a softer non-conference schedule to pad his overall record than Glen Mason.

Be serious.

3-6 vs Oklahoma
2-7 vs Texas

Baylor and Texas A $M have been gimmies.

Leach's won loss record is 84 and 43 versus top competition. He went to 10 straight bowl games.

Leach's conference record is 47-33

Glen Mason is 123-121 and 32-48 in the Big Ten. Nobody ever played a softer non-conference schedule to pad his overall record than Glen Mason.

Be serious.

3-6 vs Oklahoma
2-7 vs Texas

Baylor and Texas A $M have been gimmies.

How did Mason do against:
Ohio State:1-7
Michigan:1-7
Wisconsin:2-8
Iowa:4-6
Purdue:1-7

Indiana and Illinois have been gimmes (with the exception of 1 Illinois season (2001))

You got my point, we don't need another Mason. Leach will NOT be the coach at Minnesota, need to get over it.

How did Mason do against:
Ohio State:1-7
Michigan:1-7
Wisconsin:2-8
Iowa:4-6
Purdue:1-7

Indiana and Illinois have been gimmes (with the exception of 1 Illinois season (2001))

The past week has brought some new candidates into the discussion, seen some more jobs come available, and given us another week to assess potential candidates and their strengths and weaknesses. IMO the list of potential candidates looks like this, in order of preference:

1. Gary Patterson*
2. Jim Harbaugh*
3. Chris Peterson*
4. Dan Mullen#
5. Kevin Sumlin#
6. Troy Calhoun# (I think he'll end up at Colorado)
7. Ken Niumatololo#
8. Terry Bowden#
9. Brady Hoke#
10. Randy Edsall#
11. Al Golden (he's only this low as I think he would plan to jump to PSU when JoePa retires, thus requiring us to start over aghain in 1-3 years)
12. Mike Bellotti
13. Mike Stoops
14. Mickey Matthews
15. Jerry Kill

* Yes, I realize our chances to lure one of these candidates is slim-and-none
# This is the pool from which I am hoping we will find our next head coach

Without Leach, your list is completely and utterly without value.

You got my point, we don't need another Mason. Leach will NOT be the coach at Minnesota, need to get over it.

How in the world could you consider Leach and Mason's record to even be similar?

My list....

#1: Harbaugh
#2: Patterson
#3: Bellotti
#4: Leach
#5: Peterson
#6: Mullen
#7: Golden
#8: Sumlin
#9: Calhoun
#10: Holgorsen

The difference is that Leach had a poor record against 2 top 10 programs.
Mason had a poor record against half the conference, and a .500 record against another quarter of the conference.

Might be pie in the sky..

Has anyone thought of Carl Pelini? He's Bo's brother and defensive coordinator at Nebraska. I just wonder if he'd like a chance to be a head coach in the Big Ten and face his brother every year. He's obviously had success in that position at Nebraska and say what you want but there are many examples of successful coaching families (Ryans, Harbaughs, etc).

I like him because:

Success at a major BCS program.
Experience in a big time recruiting environment.
Defensive minded.
Rebuilt a downtrodden program (more than one if you count Mankato).

I grant he doesn't have a ton of coordinator or HC experience, but neither did Barry Alvarez, and he seemed to work out ok with a very similar background.

Has anyone thought of Carl Pelini? He's Bo's brother and defensive coordinator at Nebraska. I just wonder if he'd like a chance to be a head coach in the Big Ten and face his brother every year. He's obviously had success in that position at Nebraska and say what you want but there are many examples of successful coaching families (Ryans, Harbaughs, etc).

I like him because:

Success at a major BCS program.
Experience in a big time recruiting environment.
Defensive minded.
Rebuilt a downtrodden program (more than one if you count Mankato).

I grant he doesn't have a ton of coordinator or HC experience, but neither did Barry Alvarez, and he seemed to work out ok with a very similar background.

With what just happened with Brewster, I think there is a 0% chance we hire a coach with no head coaching experience.

What about...

Jeff Jagodzinski
Good success at BC. Got fired for a pretty stupid reason.

Jeff Jagodzinski
Good success at BC. Got fired for a pretty stupid reason.

There is a reason coaches with "good success" get fired for stupid reasons. His reason for getting fired at Tampa Bay was good and he didn't even get the chance to be stupid.

Also got canned from his NFL offensive coordinator gig before the season started b/c he couldn't get plays in fast enough. I'll pass on Jags.

Just trying to be realistic about who the next coach is going to be.

We aren't getting-
Harbaugh
Patterson
Petersen
Bellotti
Leach

Better odds of getting-
Calhoun
Ken N.
Golden--w/o a Penn State clause.
Jagodzinski

If someone can somehow show me that we have any chance at the top 5, do it.

Just trying to be realistic about who the next coach is going to be.

We aren't getting-
Harbaugh
Patterson
Petersen
(1) Bellotti
Leach

Better odds of getting-
Calhoun
Ken N.
(2) Golden--w/o a Penn State clause.
(3)Jagodzinski

If someone can somehow show me that we have any chance at the top 5, do it.

(1) We have just as good of chance as anyone at getting Bellotti or Leach. I really think it is if we want them bad enough. Obviously with Leach they want nothing to do with him. Bellotti is a different story.

(2)I want nothing to do with Golden if he needs a Penn State clause in the contract. We got burned on that many years ago with Holtz.

(3) I want nothing to do with Jagodzinski as well. The guy can coach, but he wants an NFL job in the worst way. He is out of here the second he can. Now him coming to Minnesota may actually hinder his chances at an NFL job as success would not come easy and that is what he will need in order to attract NFL GM's but still, I want nothing to do with him.

(1) We have just as good of chance as anyone at getting Bellotti or Leach. I really think it is if we want them bad enough. Obviously with Leach they want nothing to do with him. Bellotti is a different story.

Why would a 60 year old man who is going to take maybe one more job, has coached in the PAC 10, and recruited in the PAC 10 take the Gopher Job over Colorado. Bellotti is less likely than Leach at this point.

Why would a 60 year old man who is going to take maybe one more job, has coached in the PAC 10, and recruited in the PAC 10 take the Gopher Job over Colorado. Bellotti is less likely than Leach at this point.

Because we have more money. Plain and simple.

Top Bottom