Reusse Mailbag: Why do you hate Coach Fleck so much?

BleedGopher

Reaction score
per Pat's Q&A:

These are the questions received by me for the Star Tribune's columnist week for the Sports Mailbag. Few but meaty -- and not a surpise for the subject presented by the leadoff man.

Q: “Why do you hate Coach Fleck so much? What did he do to bother you? You never covered him, yet bash him for no reason.’’—Ron P.

A: Hate is an intense and passionate dislike for someone or some thing and has become vastly overused in modern nomenclature. “Hater’’ has turned into a throwaway term in the internet age to label anyone with a differing sports opinion.

I give Mr. Fleck full credit for raising the Gophers from the 9-4 team with an upset bowl victory in 2016 that he inherited to an 11-2 team with an upset bowl victory in a mere three seasons. The key, of course, was finding a coordinator in Joe Rossi to take full advantage of those defensive leaders and NFL draftees -- Antoine Winfield Jr., Carter Coughlin and Kamal Martin – recruited by Tracy Claeys.

Go Gophers!!

per Pat's Q&A:

These are the questions received by me for the Star Tribune's columnist week for the Sports Mailbag. Few but meaty -- and not a surpise for the subject presented by the leadoff man.

Q: “Why do you hate Coach Fleck so much? What did he do to bother you? You never covered him, yet bash him for no reason.’’—Ron P.

A: Hate is an intense and passionate dislike for someone or some thing and has become vastly overused in modern nomenclature. “Hater’’ has turned into a throwaway term in the internet age to label anyone with a differing sports opinion.

I give Mr. Fleck full credit for raising the Gophers from the 9-4 team with an upset bowl victory in 2016 that he inherited to an 11-2 team with an upset bowl victory in a mere three seasons. The key, of course, was finding a coordinator in Joe Rossi to take full advantage of those defensive leaders and NFL draftees -- Antoine Winfield Jr., Carter Coughlin and Kamal Martin – recruited by Tracy Claeys.

Go Gophers!!

As much as he annoys me, he is epic at trolling us. This another example of how much he is loving it

As much as he annoys me, he is epic at trolling us. This another example of how much he is loving it

Few are better at playing their role than Reusse. Few can play the role of old crochety ahole better then Reusse, he has perfected it. Kind of disappointed he didn't really answer the question though because you can truly tell he doesn't like Fleck on a very deep level.

Few are better at playing their role than Reusse. Few can play the role of old crochety ahole better then Reusse, he has perfected it. Kind of disappointed he didn't really answer the question though because you can truly tell he doesn't like Fleck on a very deep level.

Reusse historically has not liked coaches who are loud and talk about doing things that haven't been done in decades at the U. He had a field day with Wacker and Brewster and didn't like Fleck and his soundbites from the outset. If the Gophers continue on this arc, he'll likely conveniently retire before he has to give an actual compliment to PJ

Reusse can not stand any strong, successful person in sport unless that person debases himself, day in and day out. Reusse can like the weak and downtrodden because they do not challenge his ego, his Olympian self image. Of course he hates Fleck, when has Fleck ever played "the victim" card? Two totally different personallity types.

Next level troll. Best thing you can do is not react to him. He feeds off of that. Replaced whatever his drink of choice used to be

Isn't it time for fat pat to get a foot amputated or something?

Pat clearly has issues. I'm sure he laughs when he hears that. Much like a alcoholic in denial. It is unfortunate that the Star Tribune hasn't offered counseling to deal with his miserable soul. I rarely ever read his articles. They are of no substance to me.

Why does anybody give this fat old troll the time of day anymore? The era of gopher football mediocrity defined by Reusse and his apathy is OVER.

I think humanity has some fascination with engaging with people who they think are wrong:

But beyond that I've no idea why anyone listens to people like that.

They're not intellectually honest even within the same article, their arguments are usually shallow as it gets. They don't have any knowledge or insight of value to share... or if they do they don't share it...

The thing that bothers me most is the willingness to tear people down just for clicks or retweets or whatever.

Long time local media types here are super provincial. They think it’s 1985.

Yeah, our success had nothing to do with Tanner Morgan, Rashod Bateman, or all of the Fleck coaches who developed Claeys’ recruits. Pat also left out beating a top ten team in Penn State and an SEC powerhouse was part of the 11 win season, and players were visiting hospitals, not sexually assaulting co-eds.

giphy.gif

What did he write that was not true?
The cherry picking and clever framing of some facts while ignoring others is a form of deception. Facts can be editorialized. Seems like most people these days can’t see through that.

Nobody really knows who said it first, but... "there are three kinds of lies: lies, damned lies, and statistics."

I listened to this tool last Friday morning. He was mocking anyone bashing the Packers for not getting Rodgers some help. "It's a loaded draft at receiver. They'll get some receivers today and some more tomorrow." You know, using that, I'm smarter than you tone with that gawd awful voice.

Well fat ass, Rodgers is still waiting.

Am I trolling Reusse? the reason I ask is because I'm loving it.

Fatty doesn't like it when you troll him back!

Last edited:

The key, of course, was finding a coordinator in Joe Rossi to take full advantage of those defensive leaders and NFL draftees -- Antoine Winfield Jr., Carter Coughlin and Kamal Martin – recruited by Tracy Claeys.

Look I have nothing against either Claeys or Kill, cheered like heck for them when they were here. Good people.

But, this is such a troll job.

Pat wants to credit Tracy Claeys for his eye for talent and recruiting abilities, apparently. Well, throughout the entire Kill/Claeys regime, they had exactly 12 players from their recruiting classes drafted at Minnesota (spanning 2011-2020, including 4 this year, almost entirely developed by the current staff.) By the way, zero of those were offensive lineman (how is that possible?).

Just how good of an eye for talent and skill at recruiting was the Kill/Claeys regime compared to their closest rivals? Well...... Iowa had 36 players drafted in that 2011-2020 time frame. Wisconsin had 39 players drafted. It appears Kill and Claeys were out of their league in spotting and stockpiling talent. Incidentally, Kill/Claeys combined for a 2-10 against those two peer programs.

And, if Pat really wants to credit coaches for the simple recruitment of a play, then what about the fact that PJ had 8 guys that he recruited to Western Michigan (out of the freaking MAC) drafted and still has a couple of guys on that WMU roster that could go next year, too. And, PJ would still be a year short of Kill/Claeys total years at MN (out of the Big Ten).

So, maybe Pat should just give it a rest. But, he won't.

I am going to celebrate Fat Pat R. Been poking fun at rubes for decades. And, he has been poking fun so well, I am going to go to bed early.

He's trolling. But that's rather pathetic in and of itself.

An adult with the maturity of a seventh grader isn't exactly someone I would worry about.

He's dedicated himself to the bit, I'll give him that...it's sad and pathetic, but still dedicated.

What did he write that was not true?
Maybe nothing, it depends on what you consider "they key". Some might say finally having a quarterback performing near the top of the Big Ten and a strong passing game overall might have been key. Or that it might at least be debatable. He used the words "of course" to purposefully give no credit to that part of the team.

Look I have nothing against either Claeys or Kill, cheered like heck for them when they were here. Good people.

But, this is such a troll job.

Pat wants to credit Tracy Claeys for his eye for talent and recruiting abilities, apparently. Well, throughout the entire Kill/Claeys regime, they had exactly 12 players from their recruiting classes drafted at Minnesota (spanning 2011-2020, including 4 this year, almost entirely developed by the current staff.) By the way, zero of those were offensive lineman (how is that possible?).

Just how good of an eye for talent and skill at recruiting was the Kill/Claeys regime compared to their closest rivals? Well...... Iowa had 36 players drafted in that 2011-2020 time frame. Wisconsin had 39 players drafted. It appears Kill and Claeys were out of their league in spotting and stockpiling talent. Incidentally, Kill/Claeys combined for a 2-10 against those two peer programs.

And, if Pat really wants to credit coaches for the simple recruitment of a play, then what about the fact that PJ had 8 guys that he recruited to Western Michigan (out of the freaking MAC) drafted and still has a couple of guys on that WMU roster that could go next year, too. And, PJ would still be a year short of Kill/Claeys total years at MN (out of the Big Ten).

So, maybe Pat should just give it a rest. But, he won't.
So if I got this right - JK/TC don’t deserve much credit because it was PJ’s staffs coaching that got them there. At the same time WMU recruits that get drafted next year would be credited to PJ and not the current WMU staff. And folks wonder why Pat trolls our fan base.

I recently had my four year anniversary on Twitter. In all that time only one person has seen fit to block me.

Top Bottom