Reusse Mailbag: Why do you hate Coach Fleck so much?

People criticize Reusse for cheap and lazy potshots.

And then they call him "Fat Pat," as if that was some kind of clever response.

Look, Reusse is not for everyone. but Pat Reusse is a very talented writer. And he is one of the biggest boosters for Gopher Volleyball. so when People say "Reusse hates the Gophers" - that is not correct. And that was one of the points of his response - people using the word "hate" when "dislike" or "disagree with" would be more correct.

And again:
when Fleck was hired, he said "I'm not for everyone." Fleck said that. he understands that.
And yet, when someone criticizes Fleck, his fans go ballistic. that is a level of irony that some here apparently cannot grasp.
1. Agreed that calling him Fat Pat and other similar names is dumb and not creative (though it wouldn't happen if he didn't do the things he does).
2. He is a very talented writer and overall intelligent guy, which is why it's a shame that he uses his talents in the way that he does.
3. Agreed that the term "hate" is incredibly overused. We have developed a culture where anyone who doesn't agree with me on something is evil and we should hate them - see politics.
4. Yes, PJ is not for everyone, and nobody is saying that Reusse has to be a cheerleader for him, but it's kind of childish the way he is now making a living by provoking fans, even if those fans are prone to being over-sensitive.

Time for a Reusse impersonation?

"Hmmm. I need more clicks. I know just what to do. Make a comment to troll/ rile up Gopher fans then sit back and eat popcorn! Especially the Gopherhole posters! Works everytime. "

People criticize Reusse for cheap and lazy potshots.

And then they call him "Fat Pat," as if that was some kind of clever response.

Look, Reusse is not for everyone. but Pat Reusse is a very talented writer. And he is one of the biggest boosters for Gopher Volleyball. so when People say "Reusse hates the Gophers" - that is not correct. And that was one of the points of his response - people using the word "hate" when "dislike" or "disagree with" would be more correct.

And again:
when Fleck was hired, he said "I'm not for everyone." Fleck said that. he understands that.
And yet, when someone criticizes Fleck, his fans go ballistic. that is a level of irony that some here apparently cannot grasp.
He was seen giving Fleck the middle finger when he appeared on the big screen at a Wild game. It's safe to say he hates Fleck.

He was seen giving Fleck the middle finger when he appeared on the big screen at a Wild game. It's safe to say he hates Fleck.
Agreed, the definition of hate is "intense or passionate dislike for someone". Pat appears passionate about his dislike for PJ. I would respect him a lot more if he just admitted it.

So you didn't downplay JK/TC's abilities? My bad :rolleyes:

I absolutely did not downplay anything. I presented an entire set of facts, specific to recruiting and the NFL Draft. You can judge those facts however you see fit.

I was quite pleased with the Kill/Claeys era, good people, good results.

But, if you're gonna go trolling for entertainment purposes, you have to be prepared for some pushback when you present a case that is jaded, misguided or incomplete.

Good for you in finding entertainment in Pat's trolling. He is a talented columnist who was planning to retire ten years ago and would have been known simply as a good writer. Then Twitter happened and he decided trolling was fun and he never retired and now he is mostly known as a troll and a bully. And, that's a shame to me, but if he gets his jollies out of it, and you find it funny, so be it.

Last edited:

I absolutely did not downplay anything.

:rolleyes:
Pat wants to credit Tracy Claeys for his eye for talent and recruiting abilities, apparently. Well, throughout the entire Kill/Claeys regime, they had exactly 12 players from their recruiting classes drafted at Minnesota (spanning 2011-2020, including 4 this year, almost entirely developed by the current staff.) By the way, zero of those were offensive lineman (how is that possible?).

Just how good of an eye for talent and skill at recruiting was the Kill/Claeys regime compared to their closest rivals? Well...... Iowa had 36 players drafted in that 2011-2020 time frame. Wisconsin had 39 players drafted. It appears Kill and Claeys were out of their league in spotting and stockpiling talent. Incidentally, Kill/Claeys combined for a 2-10 against those two peer programs.

I absolutely did not downplay anything. I presented an entire set of facts, specific to recruiting and the NFL Draft. You can judge those facts however you see fit.

I was quite pleased with the Kill/Claeys era, good people, good results.

But, if you're gonna go trolling for entertainment purposes, you have to be prepared for some pushback when you present a case that is jaded, misguided or incomplete.

Good for you in finding entertainment in Pat's trolling. He is a talented columnist who was planning to retire ten years ago and would have been known simply as a good writer. Then Twitter happened and he decided trolling was fun and he never retired and now he is mostly known as a troll and a bully. And, that's a shame to me, but if he gets his jollies out of it, and you find it funny, so be it.
Kill has a record of mediocrity.

Top Bottom