Reusse Gopher Basketball Insights - Transfer Gossip, NIL Money, Facilities, Dutcher, Musselman ETC

It is a lot harder to fundraise for a bunch a facilities you already built...
But they couldn’t fundraise much for the facilities either before they were built. Minnesota just doesn’t have the wealthy boosters who donate to athletics to compete with the big boys.

I still think that IF you are talking about big-money NIL - or the type of NIL where players are getting (alleged) 6-figure deals - then that is going to have to come from a wealthy booster or several wealthy boosters who agree to act as a group.

If the Gophers want to play in the big-money sandbox, then they need a local equivalent of John Ruiz, or someone in that neighborhood.

and right now, I am doubtful that there is anyone in that category who
A. has that kind of $$, and
B. is a die-hard Gopher booster

case in point - the fund-raising on Athletes Village is still roughly $30-million short of its goal. If there's no 'big money' in town for that, why should anyone think there will be big money in town for NIL?
Wow a 30 million dollar endowment for players nets 2.4M per year assuming a 8% return. Lets skip paying off the village. You could build a really good basketball team for that!

Wow a 30 million dollar endowment for players nets 2.4M per year assuming a 8% return. Lets skip paying off the village. You could build a really good basketball team for that!
Now we are talking!! The best way to pay off the village is to make some money (by winning) in the sports that they built the thing for. The NIL is the best investment ROI they are going to get right now. Other schools are finding ways to get it done.

Agree 100% on one thing: they should declare that only the new Big Ten TV bonanza money will be used to pay off remaining debt, and future debt service, for facilities.

Donations/gifts, unless the person absolutely decrees that they want their name on a building or a room or whatever, should go towards NIL, as much as we can muster.

But that probably is part of the rub. People who want to make big gifts, want their name on something.

I still think that IF you are talking about big-money NIL - or the type of NIL where players are getting (alleged) 6-figure deals - then that is going to have to come from a wealthy booster or several wealthy boosters who agree to act as a group.

If the Gophers want to play in the big-money sandbox, then they need a local equivalent of John Ruiz, or someone in that neighborhood.

case in point - the fund-raising on Athletes Village is still roughly $30-million short of its goal. If there's no 'big money' in town for that, why should anyone think there will be big money in town for NIL?
The whole idea of the NIL collective was that, rather than needing such an ultra-wealthy person and/or business to fund big individual deals, lots of people could donate a small amount and the the sum would be big enough to then do a big deal.

Everyone has them. But I have no idea how successful the idea is being, across the country.

I would bet it isnt as successful as we all think.

How many here have signed up for the Dinkytown Athletes thing? There's your example of the small amount. We're the die hard fans and i bet not that many members of this site signed up.

Good read on the positives for NIL and players who do something with it.

How many here have signed up for the Dinkytown Athletes thing? There's your example of the small amount. We're the die hard fans and i bet not that many members of this site signed up.
I signed up last month. There are several different membership levels or you can do individual donations. It sounds like the U will be working more closely now with Dinkytown to coordinate funding. Hopefully this leads to a more competitive package to be able to offer our student athletes.

Agree 100% on one thing: they should declare that only the new Big Ten TV bonanza money will be used to pay off remaining debt, and future debt service, for facilities.

Donations/gifts, unless the person absolutely decrees that they want their name on a building or a room or whatever, should go towards NIL, as much as we can muster.

But that probably is part of the rub. People who want to make big gifts, want their name on something.
Why is this such a problem. . .wanting their name on a building or room. . .? I can't believe I'm the only one who's been to many different athletic events at a variety of schools, some as highly regarded or more than U of M. I've seen facilities with names attached to the stadium, end zone, locker room, outdoor tennis facility/indoor tennis facility, etc. Who cares? The Gopher program has a large number of very wealthy alumni, and seem to struggle pulling them in to participate in Gopher athletics.

I'm sure I've missed something here.

Gophers are at a MAJOR disadvantage, ALWAYS HAVE BEEN. It is a FACT. 55+ years of proof with BIG10 records: FB & BB.

Due to many many factors: MSHSL lack of talent, location (cold ass town!), 4+pro teams for tickets, very poor facilities over the years, and general demographics (white-collar population, many USA school degrees that could care less……)

Now the NIL and really BIG $$, FORGET IT!! We Are Done……. Sorry. It’s the truth.

*** The G-Dam St. Paul Saints draw more people (physically) than a MN Gopher Mens BB Game, think about it……… ***

NIL funds are not "charity". I'm not sure if it would apply to any University employee, but I'm assuming so. Certainly any employee of the Athletic Department giving to the fund would not be OK. Technically they can't even bring it up in recruiting. Obviously that happens and there's plenty of grey area. But Ben donating to the fund directly would be a very black and white violation.

For a similar example, journalists and employees of TV stations, newspapers etc. cannot make political donations. It's not a violation of their "rights". It's a condition of their employment. If they don't like it, they can quit.

Don Quixote and those damn windmills is my guess.

Hang on. You think a Big Ten university was paying a men's basketball assistant coach less than $100,000 per year? Really? I mean...wow.
And this vaccine of information is where people thinking Battle was offered $500k for on season comes from - the meta verse!

Dang, I was just looking at the stats for this team.

This was Bill Musselman's last season with Gophers, leaving town before of the NCAA rules committee could get him.

Nice Globe trotter routine. Coincidentally freshman Osborne "Goose" Lockhart went on to play 17 years with the Trotters and is inducted into their hall of Fame.

Leading Scorer & rebounder, freshman Mark Olberding left with Musselman to join short lived San Diego of the ABA.

#2 scorer & rebounder, Juco transfer Mark Landsberger left for Arizona State where he set their single season rebounding record.

#3 scorer & rebounder Mychal Thompson stayed around for 3 more years to become the career scoring & rebounder record holder at Minnesota.

Starting point guard sophomore Phil Saunders is a Minnesota icon.

Does anyone know what kinds of things are being mentioned for reigning in NIL or what the NCAA is looking/hoping for from Congress should they act on NIL?

Are we talking limits on what an athlete can make per year? A waiting period (e.g. an athlete must wait a year with a school before entering into an agreement)? Some external group that can review and make rulings on deals that are sketchy and invalidate them?

Does anyone know what kinds of things are being mentioned for reigning in NIL or what the NCAA is looking/hoping for from Congress should they act on NIL?

Are we talking limits on what an athlete can make per year? A waiting period (e.g. an athlete must wait a year with a school before entering into an agreement)? Some external group that can review and make rulings on deals that are sketchy and invalidate them?
Honestly, I think it's a lot of people saying "they should do something" but I don't know what they'd do. I guess they could have harsher penalties for obvious school involvement but I don't see that happening.

They could close the portal which wouldn't have an impact on HS players (as much) but would likely slow down the amount of NIL cash used to entice transfers.

I really don't think there is anything anyone can do. The cat is out of the bag now - for better or for worse.

Think about it...we can't agree on almost anything in Washington. We had 6 people offer countering opinions in discussion in this congressional meeting. Any concensus or solution seems quite a ways down the road.
States have different rules, school have different rules, conferences have different rules and nobody enforces any of them.
Meanwhile Caitlin Clark, Angel Reese, Bryce Young and some others say you guys do what you want but in the meantime I'm making deals. Individual players need agents if they want to make money. No reason schools can't introduce players to the right people to make deals happen providing the players are stars...non stars are going to have a tougher time.

Pitino wasn’t ready and he got 7 years.
So we should keep repeating the same mistake? Because it looks like we're in a worse position than we were with RP

Don't disagree. I don't think it's the right hire, but come on who would have done great as head coach having to recruit 13 guys first year and coaching this year with basically 2 starters aready gone before season started.
Someone with head coaching experience.

I’m curious why Gabel is a nightmare? What has she allegedly done that’s so negative?
1. No financial controls unless it goes into her pocket.
2. No movement to free University assets from the Sanford-Fairview merger.
3. The shady Securian Financial board seat she took even after being advised by the Regents and Finance Committee not to do so.

Gophers are at a MAJOR disadvantage, ALWAYS HAVE BEEN. It is a FACT. 55+ years of proof with BIG10 records: FB & BB.

Due to many many factors: MSHSL lack of talent, location (cold ass town!), 4+pro teams for tickets, very poor facilities over the years, and general demographics (white-collar population, many USA school degrees that could care less……)

Now the NIL and really BIG $$, FORGET IT!! We Are Done……. Sorry. It’s the truth.

*** The G-Dam St. Paul Saints draw more people (physically) than a MN Gopher Mens BB Game, think about it……… ***
No disadvantage for goph bb. Management accepted mediocrity and now less than mediocre Coyle was blown away but then again Coyle resembles Lloyd Braun on the insanity now episode.

No disadvantage for goph bb. Management accepted mediocrity and now less than mediocre Coyle was blown away but then again Coyle resembles Lloyd Braun on the insanity now episode.
Most of your posts would benefit by being one sentence shorter. This one exceeds ideal by three sentences.

Someone with head coaching experience.
I remember some old guy, just died recently, can’t remember his real name. I think they called him Bud? He did some coaching for a couple years and mentioned how much better a coach he was when he had better players, than when he didn’t. But maybe that was just him?

I think the main point on national NIL legislation is that it would be national - applying to all programs in all states. right now, that does not exist, and the NCAA has basically thrown up its hands and said that they're powerless to do anything about the current situation.

certainly, the devil is in the details. I'm not a lawyer, so I have no idea if Congress could impose regulations or restrictions on the 'pay for play' NIL of John Ruiz, et al. just spit-balling, if the law required equal value in return for compensation, then a player receiving (let's say) a $500,000 NIL deal would somehow have to provide $500,000 worth of value or service in return. I believe there are some legal definitions or tax law on what constitutes equal value - correct me if I'm wrong.

If that is legally possible, that might push NIL back toward the original concept of players marketing their own name, image and likeness.

but as always, it is a lot tougher to put the genie back in the bottle after it has been released.

I remember some old guy, just died recently, can’t remember his real name. I think they called him Bud? He did some coaching for a couple years and mentioned how much better a coach he was when he had better players, than when he didn’t. But maybe that was just him?
Players are the most important factor, no doubt, college basketball requires recruiting and coaching, it's a tough formula for a school like Minnesota.

I think the main point on national NIL legislation is that it would be national - applying to all programs in all states. right now, that does not exist, and the NCAA has basically thrown up its hands and said that they're powerless to do anything about the current situation.

certainly, the devil is in the details. I'm not a lawyer, so I have no idea if Congress could impose regulations or restrictions on the 'pay for play' NIL of John Ruiz, et al. just spit-balling, if the law required equal value in return for compensation, then a player receiving (let's say) a $500,000 NIL deal would somehow have to provide $500,000 worth of value or service in return. I believe there are some legal definitions or tax law on what constitutes equal value - correct me if I'm wrong.

If that is legally possible, that might push NIL back toward the original concept of players marketing their own name, image and likeness.

but as always, it is a lot tougher to put the genie back in the bottle after it has been released.
Equal value would be bad for power 5 schools, it could be argued that it will make it worse. Say 80% of the BTN contract could be attributed to Football and Basketball. That's in the 40 million range per school for those sports. NIL payments could be near limitless.

Top Bottom