Reusse: Fleck realizes you can fool most of the people some of the time, and Gophers fans nearly all of the time

I did look at what Fleck said before and after. I never said he doesn't call players out. He does and I have no problem with him doing it.

60's debate is and always has been that Fleck always makes it about himself and never takes any responsibility. This is flat out false. 60's rant about not being impressed by 10 wins because Fleck was making it all about himself was absolutely ridiculous and completely made up. His take on this subject is absolutely ridiculous

****MY RESPONSE Rolled Up
PJ making the focus about himself is not my narrative. How do we get to that conclusion?
Completely different subject.

I am very impressed with 10 wins. I am not impressed with lying about it and saying it is the first time since 1905. Glen Mason won 10 games. Ignoring the 2003 team is what pisses me off. Exaggerating the accomplishment.

Taking responsibility...100% he says it over and over. He follows it with comment how it really was somebody else’s fault or he doubles down that even if it was questionable..no it was the only choice etc etc

I’m not the only voice. Many see the same thing.

Great coach! Awesome season! Great energy!
Yay! Love all that!

It was never in print. It was an extra, online-only blog entry of the kind he writes occasionally, and it's still there: http://www.startribune.com/vikings-need-help-fleck-sound-bite-genius-twins-budget-buster/565734192/ (subscription required).

You do all realize that he reads these threads to make sure his targets were appropriately agitated and that your complaints about him only act to increase the frequency with which he writes such things, right?

Well, he sure showed us.

The man needs to grow up.

Thank you for that. I am with you and been around as long as you maybe. Enjoying the season, a huge improvement and Fleck deserves credit for that. Fleck had the benefit of some decent seniors and an excellent QB this year. Next year is his team and the following will be the peak of his recruiting. There are red flags however that will not come down until this time next year or more will surface. Willing to wait and see as well as be supportive. Reusse is an entertainer and telling us nothing new but you are right, there is a cult out there. We have no idea yet if this staff can coach. So far they can against the bottom.

Reusse has a cult following, too. What date did you join?

****MY RESPONSE Rolled Up
PJ making the focus about himself is not my narrative. How do we get to that conclusion?
Completely different subject.

I am very impressed with 10 wins. I am not impressed with lying about it and saying it is the first time since 1905. Glen Mason won 10 games. Ignoring the 2003 team is what pisses me off. Exaggerating the accomplishment.

Taking responsibility...100% he says it over and over. He follows it with comment how it really was somebody else’s fault or he doubles down that even if it was questionable..no it was the only choice etc etc

I’m not the only voice. Many see the same thing.

Great coach! Awesome season! Great energy!
Yay! Love all that!

What he has said in the past and what he was referring to was 10 wins in the regular season. Fleck did not lie about that. You hear only what you want because you need your narrative.

What he has said in the past and what he was referring to was 10 wins in the regular season. Fleck did not lie about that. You hear only what you want because you need your narrative.

“The Farmers Alliance is the trust part of our organization. 100% honesty all the time.
You see there is two parts to lying and a lot of people, a lot of human beings, are really good at these two things.
There is Omission and Comission. Omission is really kind of omitting some of the truth and then giving you some of the truth. Omitting some of the truth giving you some of the truth. Either way it is flat out lying. Same with Comission. That just means you completely lie. You must be 100% honest within our culture all the time.”

Isn't it pretty obvious him and whoever else mentions 10 wins is talking about the regular season?
Not if you’re like 60’s Guy and need, want and have to a reason to be outraged about all things Fleck. Even if you’ve made up the reason.

What does Pat say about that Vikings Coach last night? Did he admit that he was completely responsible for that nasty showing of the work he and his staff put into that game against the Seahawks?

How about the Viking braintrust that spends 25 million a year for a quarterback and then puts a totally inadequate offensive line on the field?
Note to Reusse: PJ talks too fast for my tastes...so I just don’t listen to him. But his players do. They count, I don’t. I pay attention to the Big Ten record and PJ’s trend in that regard is his friend and impresses me very much. 7-2 in conference in 2019. The Viking’s coach doesn’t stack up very well in that comparison. Rip the viking’s coach a new one for his effort against Seattle, Pat. That was a BIG,BAD loss Pat. So write about that stinker of a coaching effort.
You and I know that he won't. He's too chicken to lay too much into the Vikings.

Isn't it pretty obvious him and whoever else mentions 10 wins is talking about the regular season?
And isn’t it pretty obvious that is some of the truth?
I didn’t define the culture. If PJ says the culture is why we win shouldn’t he follow it?
“Omitting some of the truth, giving some of the truth...either way flat out lying”
It’s not my interpretation, it is his definition.
Conveniently leaving out we won 10 games in 2003 is exactly what he says is not acceptable.

And isn’t it pretty obvious that is some of the truth?
I didn’t define the culture. If PJ says the culture is why we win shouldn’t he follow it?
“Omitting some of the truth, giving some of the truth...either way flat out lying”
It’s not my interpretation, it is his definition.
Conveniently leaving out we won 10 games in 2003 is exactly what he says is not acceptable.
He and literally everyone else is talking about 10 regular season wins. There is no way you do not understand this.

Coach Speak?

Sure, nobody ever counts bowl games talking about how many games you won in a season.

But, I’m curious...will we just ignore the 11th win then? And if we should lose the bowl game we are still back to 1905.

That works. That way the 10 wins in 2003 wont have to upset anyone because we’ll continue to pretend it didn’t happen.

Trust me I feel just as puzzled that you can’t follow what the Farmers Alliance says. It’s okay though. Let’s both root for 11 wins!

Cool, I missed that. It’s not what I heard him say in the two press conferences I listened to.
Peace.

Pat, you've done what you set out to do. Cause some friction and reflection. I'm actually cool with that. Now, get honest about your buddy in charge of the Vikings. That would take some courage.

Pat, you've done what you set out to do. Cause some friction and reflection. I'm actually cool with that. Now, get honest about your buddy in charge of the Vikings. That would take some courage.

Why would Pat do that? The gophers fired one of his drinking buddies years ago, not the Vikings.

The Reusse Schtick will not go on forever...
Honest to god, when I see/read Pat, Sansevere, Souhan, my first thought has always been, OK boomer--even before that was a phrase. Thank goodness the younger writers coming up feel like they need to bring more intellectual honesty to the table, and I think that has a lot to do with the competition for eyeballs among publications, blogs, and web sites.

Honest to god, when I see/read Pat, Sansevere, Souhan, my first thought has always been, OK boomer--even before that was a phrase. Thank goodness the younger writers coming up feel like they need to bring more intellectual honesty to the table, and I think that has a lot to do with the competition for eyeballs among publications, blogs, and web sites.

Maybe all these older negative writers were impacted by all the play Jim Rome got in the early 1990s for being a prick to sports personalities. The negativity in this market seemed to spool up around then - about the same time the internet started encroaching on the print business model.

Maybe all these older negative writers were impacted by all the play Jim Rome got in the early 1990s for being a prick to sports personalities. The negativity in this market seemed to spool up around then - about the same time the internet started encroaching on the print business model.
All I know is that, when I was a teenager (late 70s, early 80s) living in west central Minnesota, my older cousins from the Twin Cities were talking about this Reusse guy for the Pioneer Press who couldn't write a positive word about anything. So no, I don't think Jim Rome had anything to do with Pat at least.

Sure, nobody ever counts bowl games talking about how many games you won in a season.

But, I’m curious...will we just ignore the 11th win then? And if we should lose the bowl game we are still back to 1905.

That works. That way the 10 wins in 2003 wont have to upset anyone because we’ll continue to pretend it didn’t happen.

Trust me I feel just as puzzled that you can’t follow what the Farmers Alliance says. It’s okay though. Let’s both root for 11 wins!
People break down seasons into chunks all the time. Non-conference, conference, regular season, entire season.

Fleck has referenced regular season a bunch of times when talking about 10 wins. It's a big accomplishment.

You're really working hard to find something that isn't here.

People break down seasons into chunks all the time. Non-conference, conference, regular season, entire season.

Fleck has referenced regular season a bunch of times when talking about 10 wins. It's a big accomplishment.

You're really working hard to find something that isn't here.

And since we haven't played the bowl game yet, regular season is all their is to talk about.

I was a little offended by Fleck's post game presser.

Main reason for loss.... Repeatedly said that "we did not make the plays". That 100% insinuates that the fault is on the players even if it may not have been entirely what he meant.

Then when question on punting in first quarter he stated it was the obvious and only smart option. I thought that was condescending since I am sure many of the players wanted to go for it and certainly many fans are wishing he went for it. Took no fault in even saying that maybe he would do it differently now looking back.

Been a fan for a long time but not a fan of Fleck's "style". I think he can motivate a room any time he wants and sell anything but it starts to get old and I think players are going to start seeing through it and listening less as he talks and talks and it will go in one ear and out the other. Worried his "style" will erode with players and fans over time.

Was also disappointed that he told the team on Tuesday they were co-champs and said he was proud of them no matter what happened in game. You do not put the thought of losing in player's minds.

No it doesnt... coaches and players are involved in winning a game. "We" encapsulates that concept. Your argument is beyond a stretch

No it doesnt... coaches and players are involved in winning a game. "We" encapsulates that concept. Your argument is beyond a stretch

It never ceases to amaze me how hard some people work to find reasons to be offended. They look for any "hidden" meaning they can find and then draw wild conclusions based on it.

It never ceases to amaze me how hard some people work to find reasons to be offended. They look for any "hidden" meaning they can find and then draw wild conclusions based on it.
Out of curiosity, are these “hidden messages” and “wild conclusions” always (coincidentally) the opposite of what you believe?

And what are your independent thoughts regarding the Gopher head coach?
That he’s doing a great job building, and program is on solid ground. Additionally, my independent thought tells me that I’ll have my own ideas following wins and losses, not how a coach or a reporter tells me how to think.

I was a little offended by Fleck's post game presser.

Main reason for loss.... Repeatedly said that "we did not make the plays". That 100% insinuates that the fault is on the players even if it may not have been entirely what he meant.

Then when question on punting in first quarter he stated it was the obvious and only smart option. I thought that was condescending since I am sure many of the players wanted to go for it and certainly many fans are wishing he went for it. Took no fault in even saying that maybe he would do it differently now looking back.

Been a fan for a long time but not a fan of Fleck's "style". I think he can motivate a room any time he wants and sell anything but it starts to get old and I think players are going to start seeing through it and listening less as he talks and talks and it will go in one ear and out the other. Worried his "style" will erode with players and fans over time.

Was also disappointed that he told the team on Tuesday they were co-champs and said he was proud of them no matter what happened in game. You do not put the thought of losing in player's minds.
Making it up as you go and looking for something that isn’t there is an occurring theme for a segment of posters around here. ?‍♂️

Can you point out any of these young writers? It seems like the under 50 writers out there on the national scene are almost universally poor journalists...more like opinion columnists. Reusse is intellectually dishonest?

I don’t see Reusse et al making up things, omitting the truth, or stretching the truth like some writers at ESPN, Stadium. Reusse writes talker opinions that you guys happen to disagree with. He’s not a publicist. Opinion columnists are not unique to MN. Personally I get bored with constant and solely homer takes although Sid has a huge audience as well and I’ve always like his stories.

Out of curiosity, are these “hidden messages” and “wild conclusions” always (coincidentally) the opposite of what you believe?

Nope, and this goes well beyond Fleck or even sports in general. There are lots of people online that go out of their way to find a reason to be outraged or offended by what someone says.

But I do think the over analysis that takes place about comments made in a post game press conference can be pretty amusing.

Stuff Like:
-Coach says the team didn't make enough plays to win.....clearly he puts all the blame on the players and feels he did everything perfectly all game.....
-Coach says it is 100% his fault but what does he really mean by that.....is he really taking all the blame....how does he not see that he should have made this decision at that moment....cost us the game...it was so easy.....I make that call in Madden all day and it works perfectly every single time.

:)

Top Bottom