Recruits

I thought a guy that was brought in because he was an ace recruiter would do a little better then 59, 28, 46 and 31 (currently). Wasn't he brought in to bring in top 20 classes? That is all I have read about for 3 years on this board. Does not seem to be living up to that billing.

Given that, does he have the ability to develop and coach the talent he does bring in? That is the big question. The jury is certainly still out on that one. Very informative post above in this thread regarding the '10 class and where it should be ranked. I just get the impression that is not what the administration signed up for when they brought Brewster in.

No top 20 classes, 31st in his 4th year recruiting, with a brand spanking new stadium, a great University and in a beautiful metropolitan area? Is Brewster living up to what he sold the U on?

I would not want to be in Maturi's shoes and have to decide whether to give him 4.5 or 5 more million after this year. That will be a career decision for him.
I've stuck up for you the last few teams, but now I can see why most people think you're a *&^!#*&^!#*&^!#*&^!#*&^!#*&^!#.

A lot has already been said and I'm lazy, so I won't add much. I think we need a tight end unless someone is making a position switch in place of Hageman. Other than that, I don't think there are any glaring holes, so I'd probably try for another d-lineman and go BPA. I still don't like the Pride signing, in part because it indicates that staff doesn't feel like there are more than 7-8 better guys to sign between now and then.

That was such an easy set up. thanks for playing. Really Penn State, Ohio State, and Michigan. Perennial top ten teams. You're a tool dude.

Michigan state is a future team to watch out for, but seriously what have they done yet.

Iowa is the only team out performing their recruiting strength right now. The only one. All the others you've mentioned are underperforming. We're performing pretty much right at our recruiting strength. so by your argument brewster is a superior coach to all but Iowa.

That's not what I would say, but your argument surely makes that case. I didn't realize your such a Brewster backer. I had you all wrong.

That was fun we'll play again later.

Actually I am not stating that at all because I did not use/reference the Sagarin graph that you appear to be alluding to in your statement above to determine who are the better coaches. You yourself even admit that you do not believe the graph to be an accurate representation of which teams have better coaching. When I referenced Iowa outperforming their rankings, it was their recruiting rankings that were referenced.

Ok, I'll bite

I agree as well. Add to the fact that the teams in the Big 10 that are routinely beating us on the recruiting front are also thought to have superior coaching/player development to ours and that makes it hard to gain ground when your getting beat on both fronts, recruiting and coaching.

OK. You, along with Khaliq, are the Hole's contrarians. Fair enough...such an approach is sometimes a necessary requisite for lively debate. But let's mix things up a little bit and let you state your opinion to which the rest of us can react. Here's the scenario:

Let's stipulate that you are a Gopher fan and want what is best for the Gophers for both the short and long term. You get to be AD for the U of M for the next ten years. What do you do with the program?

good points

You made alot of good points.People just need to relax and let time take it,s course.We are getting better every year and we will be a good team.:D

OK. You, along with Khaliq, are the Hole's contrarians. Fair enough...such an approach is sometimes a necessary requisite for lively debate. But let's mix things up a little bit and let you state your opinion to which the rest of us can react. Here's the scenario:

Let's stipulate that you are a Gopher fan and want what is best for the Gophers for both the short and long term. You get to be AD for the U of M for the next ten years. What do you do with the program?

If I had my choice Brewster would be evaluated at the end of next season. If we win atleast one rivalry game and make it to a new years day bowl then he is retained for atleast another year. If the criteria above are not reached then feelers are put out through a headhunter firm to see if any coaches fitting category 1 or 2 are interested, if they are then a move is made then. If none of these caliber of experienced coaches are interested then we wait until Brewster's true recruits are through their senior season. If by that time, the critieria above is not met than a change is made regardless, likely targeting the guys in category 3 assuming category 1 and 2 coaches are still not interested.

1. experienced "name" head coach with a track record of success, though I realize this is not likely.

2. A current successful head coach at a smaller BCS or top level non BCS program (examples: Gary Patterson, Kyle Whittingham, Chris Petersen, Randy Edsall)

3. A current coordinator at a major BCS program (Examples: Bud Foster, Charlie Strong, Gus Malzahn, Brent Venables, Norm Chow)

If I had my choice Brewster would be evaluated at the end of next season. If we win atleast one rivalry game and make it to a new years day bowl then he is retained for atleast another year. If the criteria above are not reached then feelers are put out through a headhunter firm to see if any coaches fitting category 1 or 2 are interested, if they are then a move is made then. If none of these caliber of experienced coaches are interested then we wait until Brewster's true recruits are through their senior season. If by that time, the critieria above is not met than a change is made regardless, likely targeting the guys in category 3 assuming category 1 and 2 coaches are still not interested.

1. experienced "name" head coach with a track record of success, though I realize this is not likely.

2. A current successful head coach at a smaller BCS or top level non BCS program (examples: Gary Patterson, Kyle Whittingham, Chris Petersen, Randy Edsall)

3. A current coordinator at a major BCS program (Examples: Bud Foster, Charlie Strong, Gus Malzahn, Brent Venables, Norm Chow)

Cool. Thanks.

So, just so I'm clear, if Brewster wins a rivalry game AND goes to a NYD bowl game, we keep him for another year?

Just out of curiosity, when was the last time the Gophers were in a NYD bowl game?

Cool. Thanks.

So, just so I'm clear, if Brewster wins a rivalry game AND goes to a NYD bowl game, we keep him for another year?

Just out of curiosity, when was the last time the Gophers were in a NYD bowl game?

You are correct, if he does both of those things next year then he should be retained. It has been quite a while since we made a NYD bowl game but he was hired to improve upon past performance. I would not expect him to get us to a BCS game, however a game the caliber of the Capitol One Bowl or Gator Bowl I would want.

Quick answer from someone not in the know.

I dont know who we are going to sign, but both of Brewster's classes have had significant signing day "gets."

If this holds this year, we'll rank in the top 35 as an overall class. I've been very impressed with this clas so far - adding lots of depth up front. I really like that center from Texas. Honestly, if you add two, three more 4-star players, this class will look REALLY GOOD on paper. But we all know games aren't played on paper - they're played by little men inside of oru television boxes.

Plus, one of our 3-star players is bound to ave his ranking bumped up a star (maybe even two player).

People are negative because of El Nino.

People are negative because of the ecomony :cool02:

You are correct, if he does both of those things next year then he should be retained. It has been quite a while since we made a NYD bowl game but he was hired to improve upon past performance. I would not expect him to get us to a BCS game, however a game the caliber of the Capitol One Bowl or Gator Bowl I would want.

So if he gets us to a game the likes of which we haven't seen since 1962 (our last NYD bowl appearance), he should be retained for ONE additional year?

Every coach is hired to improve upon past performance, don't you think? Maybe not Monson for the b-ball program, as his role was more to fix the mess that Haskins left. But if Brewster can buck 47 years of futility and disappointment by getting us to a NYD bowl game, he deserves significantly more than a one-year extension.

I thought a guy that was brought in because he was an ace recruiter would do a little better then 59, 28, 46 and 31 (currently). Wasn't he brought in to bring in top 20 classes? That is all I have read about for 3 years on this board. Does not seem to be living up to that billing.

Given that, does he have the ability to develop and coach the talent he does bring in? That is the big question. The jury is certainly still out on that one. Very informative post above in this thread regarding the '10 class and where it should be ranked. I just get the impression that is not what the administration signed up for when they brought Brewster in.

No top 20 classes, 31st in his 4th year recruiting, with a brand spanking new stadium, a great University and in a beautiful metropolitan area? Is Brewster living up to what he sold the U on?

I would not want to be in Maturi's shoes and have to decide whether to give him 4.5 or 5 more million after this year. That will be a career decision for him.

Why do you make things up? 2008--the first class he recruited--was ranked #17 not 28th as you posted. See link: http://rivals100.rivals.com/TeamRank.asp?postype=0&sort=0&year=2008

2009 was ranked 39...see link: http://rivals100.rivals.com/teamrank.asp?Year=2009&Page=2&PosType=0&Sort=0

2010 isn't complete but is ranked 30th as of today...see link: http://rivals100.rivals.com/teamrank.asp?Year=2010&Page=2&PosType=0&Sort=0

So if he gets us to a game the likes of which we haven't seen since 1962 (our last NYD bowl appearance), he should be retained for ONE additional year?

Every coach is hired to improve upon past performance, don't you think? Maybe not Monson for the b-ball program, as his role was more to fix the mess that Haskins left. But if Brewster can buck 47 years of futility and disappointment by getting us to a NYD bowl game, he deserves significantly more than a one-year extension.

Apparently I am not being clear so let me try and clarify. If he meets the criteria next season of a NYD bowl( I would even include the Alamo Bowl and Cotton Bowl though not technically on NYD) and wins atleast 1 rivalry game then he doesn't have to worry and I would be okay with a contract extension at that time. If he doesn't meet that criteria next year then you start putting out feelers to the more successful and experienced head coaches (category 1 and 2) to see if they are interested. If they are then the change is made then. If these coaches are not interested, then Brewster gets another year or another chance to try and meet those objectives. If the objectives are met that next season then Brewster gets his extension but if not then a change is made regardless and you likely start looking at as I outlined category 1,2, or 3 coaches at that time. So in essence he has next year and the following year(unless he fails next season and a top flight coach wants the job) to achieve the objectives of a NYD bowl game and a single rivalry win.

You're absolutely pathetic, sorry, but you just agreed with a Badger troll who posted BS to get people to react, and instead to end up agreeing with him!!! Embarrassing.

I thinks its hilarious that tools such as yourselves come on here and get some jollies about being constantly negative, I can just imagine what you have to be like in real life, I'm sure you're an absolute treat to be around. Just some sorry depressing individuals on here.
I'm not negative at all actually. I'm very even keeled. I think you're reading emotion and intent into my posts that just isn't there.

Far be it from me to speculate but it sounds like projection.

Well, then you're pretty much demonstrably 100% wrong. According to every currently used metric and scouting service, our recruiting has improved dramatically under Coach Brewster. So...yeah, that's about all there is to say about it. If you don't believe everyone here, let me know and I'll try to dig up some class rankings from the Mason era.

btw, that first class cannot be credited/faulted to Brewster. He had all of a month and a half to recruit, and that was basically all Mason.

Actually closer to 3 weeks. LOI day is the first Wednesday in February and I'm sure you recall that Mason was fired after the collapse in our bowl. Maturi didn't even have a month and a half before LOI day when he initiated the search process.

I genuinely don't want to be "that guy". Please take me at my word when I say I just call things as I see them. I may be wrong, which is fine, but it's not out of any intent to rile anyone up. I try to go out of my way to coach things in a very non-confrontational way generally, but I think that gets lost in the medium sometimes.

At any rate it's hard for me to say what I'd do until I know how the next year or so are going to pan out, but assuming Brewster doesn't end up being the answer I want to go after a coach with a much more solid Xs and Os background.

The two guys I have in my head as high and low candidates are Brian Kelly and Turner Gill.

Kelly is very frustrated with the lack of progress on facilities at Cincinnati, and I think with a new stadium, improved facilities and a commitment from the athletic department to the program there's a chance they could get him to listen. It will take a pretty huge financial investment and is a long shot, but I look at him as a home run candidate.

Gill on the other hand is a guy who really should already be coaching at a BCS school. Auburn and Nebraska both took long looks at him and word is that he was passed up at both jobs due to his race. What I love is that Gill refuses to blame that. He just talks about wanting to get better as a coach and to earn his opportunities. He's a fantastic football mind, a great recruiter and has phenomenal strength of character. He's the kind of guy you talk to and just believe in instantly.

I had the pleasure of speaking to the man in person and I can't say enough good things about him.

Other than that there's not much else I can say. If Brewster posts a solid record this year and makes progress next year that's all moot, but if I was Maturi I'd hope for the best with Brewster and plan for the worst.

And there should be improvement when the senior class is finally all Brewster's....so, get get rid of him if we don't win the conference and go to the Rose Bowl in 2011??

I genuinely don't want to be "that guy". Please take me at my word when I say I just call things as I see them. I may be wrong, which is fine, but it's not out of any intent to rile anyone up. I try to go out of my way to coach things in a very non-confrontational way generally, but I think that gets lost in the medium sometimes.

At any rate it's hard for me to say what I'd do until I know how the next year or so are going to pan out, but assuming Brewster doesn't end up being the answer I want to go after a coach with a much more solid Xs and Os background.

The two guys I have in my head as high and low candidates are Brian Kelly and Turner Gill.

Kelly is very frustrated with the lack of progress on facilities at Cincinnati, and I think with a new stadium, improved facilities and a commitment from the athletic department to the program there's a chance they could get him to listen. It will take a pretty huge financial investment and is a long shot, but I look at him as a home run candidate.

Gill on the other hand is a guy who really should already be coaching at a BCS school. Auburn and Nebraska both took long looks at him and word is that he was passed up at both jobs due to his race. What I love is that Gill refuses to blame that. He just talks about wanting to get better as a coach and to earn his opportunities. He's a fantastic football mind, a great recruiter and has phenomenal strength of character. He's the kind of guy you talk to and just believe in instantly.

I had the pleasure of speaking to the man in person and I can't say enough good things about him.

Other than that there's not much else I can say. If Brewster posts a solid record this year and makes progress next year that's all moot, but if I was Maturi I'd hope for the best with Brewster and plan for the worst.

I promise you that Turner Gill was not passed up for the Nebraska job because of race. The AD at Nebraska who made the call to not hire Turner Gill was Tom Osborne who recruited him, coached him, hired him as an assistant, was in his wedding, and talks to him weekly. He was passed over for that job because Tom Osborne felt that at this time that Nebraska needed a coach with more of a defensive background due to the huge mess that Cosgrove created there. Turner Gill is always immensely popular with the fans in Nebraska as well as Pelini.

And there should be improvement when the senior class is finally all Brewster's....so, get get rid of him if we don't win the conference and go to the Rose Bowl in 2011??

No

I promise you that Turner Gill was not passed up for the Nebraska job because of race. The AD at Nebraska who made the call to not hire Turner Gill was Tom Osborne who recruited him, coached him, hired him as an assistant, was in his wedding, and talks to him weekly. He was passed over for that job because Tom Osborne felt that at this time that Nebraska needed a coach with more of a defensive background due to the huge mess that Cosgrove created there. Turner Gill is always immensely popular with the fans in Nebraska as well as Pelini.
I'm sorry you're 100% right about that. It was Auburn that they were talking about as race being a factor, not Nebraska. My bad.

I think every post since GV's is proof that he is a rabble rouser because of how many people took his bait. Plus its a pretty sweet term. Just say it, makes you feel like Elmer Fud.

Why do you make things up? 2008--the first class he recruited--was ranked #17 not 28th as you posted. See link: http://rivals100.rivals.com/TeamRank.asp?postype=0&sort=0&year=2008

2009 was ranked 39...see link: http://rivals100.rivals.com/teamrank.asp?Year=2009&Page=2&PosType=0&Sort=0

2010 isn't complete but is ranked 30th as of today...see link: http://rivals100.rivals.com/teamrank.asp?Year=2010&Page=2&PosType=0&Sort=0

What I don't understand, is where GV gets this idea that Brewster has to have top 20 classes every year in order to validate his success as a coach. Take a look at the top 25 teams in the nation and the talent pools most of them are surrounded by on a consistent basis, let alone the ones who are outside of the top 25 at the moment which we have to compete with for talent and tell me that is not an asinine assumption. Seriously, when was the last time the gophers even had a top 35 class which Brewster has now had 3 of? Crazy talk I tell you.

What I don't understand, is where GV gets this idea that Brewster has to have top 20 classes every year in order to validate his success as a coach. Take a look at the top 25 teams in the nation and the talent pools most of them are surrounded by on a consistent basis, let alone the ones who are outside of the top 25 at the moment which we have to compete with for talent and tell me that is not an asinine assumption. Seriously, when was the last time the gophers even had a top 35 class which Brewster has now had 3 of? Crazy talk I tell you.

I think a lot of people feel that Brewster needs to have exceptional recruiting classes to offset his apparent lack of experience or ability as a coach in comparison to many of the coaches he is competing against.

Did not make anything up. I used Scouts ratings. If those ratings were higher for the Gophers, you would like those better.

I also did not set the expectations, the fans on this board did. Four star this, five star that, if we lose this guy Brewster has 6 other higher rated guys to bring in, etc.

Brewster was brought in specifically becuase he was supposed to be a great recruiter. Those are Maturi's words and Brewster is not shy about stating that as well. It is a fair question to ask if he is recruiting at a level that was expected. Based on everything I have read, I don't think he is.
That is the question Maturi is going to have to answer, because he is not going to have the slam dunk results on the field to help decide if he should give Brewster an extension.

I think Marturi is in a tough position. Do you really think he is convinced that Brewster is the guy to get the Gophers to the next level? If he was, he may have already given him the extension. Do you think he wants to commit 5 or more million to him? What if they fold down the stretch again like last year? Having a coach without an extension makes it difficult to recruit.

You can talk about recruiting all you want, but in the end, all that matters are the results on the field. Illinois is exhibit A. Still want to follow the Zook model?

Did not make anything up. I used Scouts ratings. If those ratings were higher for the Gophers, you would like those better.

Like I already said, predictable. I don't give Rivals more weight because they rank the Gophers higher. I do so because Scout sucks.

I honestly can't think of even one instance where an "expert" cited Scout over Rivals for recruiting info, unless they were a writer for Scout themselves.

For anyone to say Brewster has underperformed as a recruiter is just ridiculous to me. Recruiting has improved a lot in the past 3 years. It doesn't matter if you use scout, rivals, or any other website. Our classes have been much better lately compared to Mason's. I agree that his coaching has been pretty questionable up to this point. He still has to prove himself there. But if you can't see he's dramatically changed recruiting in MN, then you're either a troll or blinded by your hate of Brewster.

Like I already said, predictable. I don't give Rivals more weight because they rank the Gophers higher. I do so because Scouts sucks.

I honestly can't think of even one instance where an "expert" cited Scouts over Rivals for recruiting info, unless they were a writer for Scouts themselves.

Since Scout seems to have trouble just getting the names correct ("Darnell" Kirkwood) it's hard to have much faith in their ratings.

Not true. I would use the Rivals ratings regardless of who had us rated higher because I'm a Rivals subscriber and not a Scout subscriber.

Brewster was brought in specifically becuase he was supposed to be a great recruiter. Those are Maturi's words and Brewster is not shy about stating that as well. It is a fair question to ask if he is recruiting at a level that was expected. Based on everything I have read, I don't think he is.
That is the question Maturi is going to have to answer, because he is not going to have the slam dunk results on the field to help decide if he should give Brewster an extension.

Nobody really knows the benchmark that was expected. You either know a lot more than us abour our program or you are full of sh*t. I'm going to go with the latter.

What is clear is that according to the recruiting services we are recruiting at a higher level than we were under Mason. If someone doesn't believe in recruiting services we can use BCS offers for recruits as a benchmark and the recruits in Minnesota's 2008 and 2009 classes had far more BCS offers than previous classes. I believe the metric for our 2008 class was 102 offers from BCS schools other than Minnesota compared to somewhere around 25 in the prior class.

I think Maturi is in a tough position. Do you really think he is convinced that Brewster is the guy to get the Gophers to the next level? If he was, he may have already given him the extension. Do you think he wants to commit 5 or more million to him? What if they fold down the stretch again like last year? Having a coach without an extension makes it difficult to recruit.

First of all an extension isn't inherently a $5mm commitment. Bielema got a 1 year "vote of confidence" from Alvarez this past offseason--was that $5mm? Not even close.

I don't think it is as difficult as you make it out to be.

How are the academics of the program progressing?--The APR hit gives a false read on academics--we lost schollies primarily because our APR under Mason was lower than it should have been and changing coaches and dismissing a few players caused it to go under. In 2008-09 Minnesota actually set a team record for players with a 3.0 or higher GPA and led the Big Ten. Despite the perception in the papers that Brewster is recruiting low achieving students, as a whole the football program has improved its academics.

How is the performance of the team and how does it compare to the past?--2006: 6-7 loss in the Insight Bowl...2008: 7-6 loss in the Insight Bowl. I'll call that a push. 2009 has yet to play out but if you believe ESPN's midseason prediction 6-6 to 7-6 seems the most likely. There was a step back in 2007 but Maturi has even said he knew that would happen (we would have won more than 1 game but even with Mason we weren't going to a bowl in 2007 but that is another conversation).

Has the talent level of the team improved?I think this is a resounding yes. Recruiting services are one measurement but I won't focus on that. Where you can readily see the difference in athleticism in this team vs. previous teams is on the special teams (where most freshman and sophomores make their impact). We currently lead the Big Ten in punt return avg, are at or near the top in kick return avg and have played very well on coverage teams. Also, if you listen to opposing coaches they see the difference. The OC for Purdue (formerly at FAU who played us in 2007 & 2008) commented prior to our matchup that game planning for Minnesota is completely different now because the defense is so much faster than a couple years ago.

Has interest in the program increased?--Obviously one sign would be the sold out stadium but that likely would have sold out either way. Anecdotally the Minnesota Rivals site was the 2nd fastest growing site in the Rivals system. That is a pretty strong indication that interest in the program has increased. I'm sure the athletic dept has other ways to monitor this (road game tix, participation in non-gameday events, donations, etc).

You can talk about recruiting all you want, but in the end, all that matters are the results on the field. Illinois is exhibit A. Still want to follow the Zook model?

We look at the recruiting with such interest because it is new to us and freshman and sophomores (the best athletes in the program) don't usually make an impact in college football. About half of our 2009 class appears to be in line to be redshirted so we haven't even seen them on the field yet. It is hard to judge the full impact improved recruiting will have on our program.

I'm fine with the comparison to Illinois from the standpoint of having a coach that can recruit at a higher level than the program's past history. However, the comparison really should end there. The last time I checked Illinois was 5-7 in 2008 (we were 7-6) and this year they have 1 win on the season (0 against DI-A programs) while Minnesota is 4-3. The Minnesota coaching staff's abilities should be judged on their coaching rather than a comparison to another program that has stumbled badly because of poor execution. Pat Fitzgerald was hired at Northwestern with a background (recruiting coordinator with no OC/DC experience) that is more similar to Brewster than Zook's background (HC at Florida, former DC) but nobody mentions that comparison. By comparing Brewster to Zook your bias shows quite clearly.

Btw--the last time I checked Zook has gone to more Rose Bowls than Bielema has in Wisconsin. Is that jealousy creeping in to your posting?

Anyone who says Brew hasn't put the Gophers on the map in terms of recruiting and national exposure is a lunatic. Remember, we are in Minnesota.
The state that has all major sports, one of the highest education levels in the USA, A major hub for banking, Medical Services, Med Technologies, 3M and so on. There is SOOOOOOOOO much else to do here other than college football, unlike a Nebraska or Wisconsin or Iowa. The majority of people in this state can be satisfied with reading the sports page on Sunday to keep their track on the Gopher Football team and are involved with many other activities that take up their time.
Since Brew and the stadium have gotten here, the Exposure and interest in Gopher football has increased ten fold. While it can be attributed to mostly a new stadium, Brew and co have put their heart and souls on the line in trying to expand gopher nation and all of the great things MN has to offer. While selling recruits this is a huge plus with a great education and job connections for the future, but with the fanbase it is a negative. Now, with all this being said and me rambling, the next step Brew and Co have to take to keep the newly interest gopher nation going and to keep expanding the interest, the on field success will have to come in TIME, not now. To expect Brew and Co to take a non-college football state and turn around a program from B10 mid-bottom dweller to a consistent top b10 team in just a 3 year window is just unreasonable.
He knows how college football works and is trying to turn not just the team, but the whole program and state, to become a passionate fan base. The fair weather fans will only stick with a successful on the field product. And In my opinion, they have done wayyyyyyy more good then bad in making this happen. And to bail on him now would be immature based on the scenario he came into.
Time will tell as he evolves as a on-field coach, but off the field he is doing more than I hoped for, and has achieved more than I though possible.
Go Gophs, sorry for the rambling.

People could probably stand to calm down on both sides. By allowing GV to get you riled up, you are essentially feeding into exactly the type of emotion he is trying to elicit (which is unfortunate, I took him for a serious poster for a while).

In any event, the question is a valid one worth discussing, which I think grunkie did a nice job laying out. The biggest question is if this increase in interest and athleticism is going to lead to an increase in wins. Nobody can verify that because it hasn't happened yet, but I think it's fair to say that it should happen within the next 2 years or all of the excitement and enthusiasm in the world isn't going to save Brewster's job.

Anyone who says Brew hasn't put the Gophers on the map in terms of recruiting and national exposure is a lunatic. Remember, we are in Minnesota.
The state that has all major sports, one of the highest education levels in the USA, A major hub for banking, Medical Services, Med Technologies, 3M and so on. There is SOOOOOOOOO much else to do here other than college football, unlike a Nebraska or Wisconsin or Iowa. The majority of people in this state can be satisfied with reading the sports page on Sunday to keep their track on the Gopher Football team and are involved with many other activities that take up their time.
Since Brew and the stadium have gotten here, the Exposure and interest in Gopher football has increased ten fold. While it can be attributed to mostly a new stadium, Brew and co have put their heart and souls on the line in trying to expand gopher nation and all of the great things MN has to offer. While selling recruits this is a huge plus with a great education and job connections for the future, but with the fanbase it is a negative. Now, with all this being said and me rambling, the next step Brew and Co have to take to keep the newly interest gopher nation going and to keep expanding the interest, the on field success will have to come in TIME, not now. To expect Brew and Co to take a non-college football state and turn around a program from B10 mid-bottom dweller to a consistent top b10 team in just a 3 year window is just unreasonable.
He knows how college football works and is trying to turn not just the team, but the whole program and state, to become a passionate fan base. The fair weather fans will only stick with a successful on the field product. And In my opinion, they have done wayyyyyyy more good then bad in making this happen. And to bail on him now would be immature based on the scenario he came into.
Time will tell as he evolves as a on-field coach, but off the field he is doing more than I hoped for, and has achieved more than I though possible.
Go Gophs, sorry for the rambling.

Bingo!! We have a winner!!

Top Bottom