Recruits

golfinggopher

Reaction score
I know there is a lot of threads like this, so please don't jump down my throat anyone...It looks like we have just over a handful of recruits left to come in. Who does everyone think we are actually going to sign? How do you think this class will rank in February? Guys in the know like Grunkie, Johnny, Gopherprof etc...please chime in.

BTW, I just don't understand why people are so negative on here. In my opinion, Brewster is right on track where he should be. Two years ago, the cupboard was almost completely bare and we have some pretty serious talent that are either Sr's in high school ;), freshman, RS freshmen, or sophmores...I was HOPING for a 7-5 year and that looks like it should happen. I know Brewster has his flaws, but I'm totally supportive of him and I hope everyone else can stay that way until his recruits are SENIORS...If we haven't turned the corner by then, I would expect us to look elsewhere.

Sorry about the rant, but I look forward to checking this sight everyday and lately it just depresses me....

In answering your second, people are negative because the Internet is negative. I am glad I don't know many of these people in real life (Harsh, I konw but true).

That said, the Gophers need a signature win or two. Beat tOSU or Iowa, and then MSU,Iliniois and SDSU to get to eight wins and the negativity will be gone. Addtionally, I think people are getting worried because not enough of the 07 and 08 recruits are starting. Time will tell if that is a legit worry.

Quick answer from someone not in the know.

I dont know who we are going to sign, but both of Brewster's classes have had significant signing day "gets."

If this holds this year, we'll rank in the top 35 as an overall class. I've been very impressed with this clas so far - adding lots of depth up front. I really like that center from Texas. Honestly, if you add two, three more 4-star players, this class will look REALLY GOOD on paper. But we all know games aren't played on paper - they're played by little men inside of oru television boxes.

Plus, one of our 3-star players is bound to ave his ranking bumped up a star (maybe even two player).

People are negative because of El Nino.

Our current point total on Rivals is 825 making us #30 overall. Many schools around us have fewer commits so barring improvements to our class our rank will decline as other classes fill out. For reference, the #45 ranked class had 830 total points last year so using that as a benchmark we should probably be looking at #45 as a floor.

Where we end up is hugely dependent on who the last few players are that commit. We are still in the running for a 5-star (Seantrel) and some very good 4-stars (Dontae Williams, Richard Ash, Josh Huff) and I don't think a Juco DB popping up out of nowhere is out of the question. If we can land a few of the top players we have remaining a top 25 class isn't out of the question. If we land none of them and fill out the last 5 or so spots with 3-star rated players (Beau Allen, Nduka Onyeali, Kevin Kissebirth, Kenny Bell, etc) I would guess we'll rank somewhere around #40.

I won't give specific names of who I think our final commitments will be but my guess is that it will be 1 to 2 of the 4-star/5-star players (anything more than that would be awesome) with lower ranked players (hopefully 3-stars) filling in the rest of the class. I also think there is still a possibility that a few of the current recruits in the class end up going elsewhere which could change the make-up and rankings of the class (for better or worse). I predicted a few months ago that this class will end up with a ranking somewhere around 35 and I am still comfortable with that prediction. With the new stadium many fans had higher expectations but the reality is we can no longer sell playing time like we did in 2008 and history has shown new staffs show a bump in recruiting in year 1-2. The improved facilities and a staff that is focused on recruiting will level Minnesota recruiting off at a higher level than we had in the past but we can't expect consistent top 20 classes until our performance on the field is consistently top 25.

Rankings aside, in the big picture what this class represents is adding depth to this roster with nobody needing to step in and play from day one. There are some possible exceptions: CB, LT (if we land Seantrel), and possibly even RB but those are because a new recruit is more talented than a returning player(s) with experience (Collado... Alford... Bennett/Eskridge/Whaley). There are a lot of players that will redshirt in this class (especially along the OL) but we're at a place where we can afford that. I think we have a few "diamonds in the rough" (Tatum, Mitchell, Josh Allen) that have more athleticism and upside than players that would have received that title in previous Gopher classes. One other thing that the StarTribune loves to pick on (academics) is continuiing to improve. Our 2008 class had a lot of academic risks (~7 Juco's, Gray, Reeves, etc), we took fewer in 2009 (2 Juco's, Lipscomb, Searcy), and I think we have even less in 2010.

Sorry that was really long.

Lets see here: 1 ATH 1 QB 2 RB 2 WR 5 OL 0 TE 1 DE 2 DT 2 LB 3 CB 1 S 1K Total 21/25-28
I think the rest are set for big time prospects or backup plans if they don't workout

Edwards RB .............. RB Huff/ Evan Williams (speed back)
Gjere OL .............. DT Guy/ Ash (Quicker DT)
Allen DE .............. DE/LB Oneyenli/ Beckwith (Speedy DE)
Hawkins WR .............. DT Allen/ TE Grant (Local talents, could bring in both)
Parrish QB .............. DE Okeyemi/Kisseberth (DE depth)
Hill WR .............. OT Henderson/ Gayden (LT starter either way)
Kirkwood RB .............. ATH Sanders (My personal favorite prospect, big time athlete)
Lenkiewitcz OL ......... If these don't work, there seem to be plenty in the pipeline
Price CB ........... depthwise, we've had alot of visitors.
Ragoo OL
Tauaefa DT
Eggen OL
Epping OL
Lewis CB
Manuel S
Smith K
Tatum LB
Mitchell LB
Willis DT
Pride ATH
Veazie CB

Don't let the negative stuff bug you, most of them forget they picked the gopher at 6-8 wins, they just elevated their expectations as the season went, peaking at a 10-11 win season after the NW game, now they predict a 4-5 win season with brimstone raining down upon Gopher Nation. It will settle out when they remember they're original predictions.

They aren't. Irrational exuberance outnumbers negativity on this board by a wide margin.

I don't doubt that there are more positive posters than negative. However, the fact is more often than not those inclined to be 'negative' do so not in the spirit of debate, but with the intent to antagonize others or promote a particular agenda or both. When Brewster and company make gaffs, they deserve to be roundly criticized. That includes some of the heat of the moment, passionate diatribes we sometimes see here. There are two types of posters with whom I take exception. Those who pose as gopher fans with the intent of sowing the seeds of discontent and the malecontents whose obsessive deriding of Brewster and the program is nothing short of pathological. I just find them absolutely tiresome and pathetic.

Actually, many of the negative posters are also the positive ones. The internet brgings out bi-polar personalities. Look at each week's game thread for examples of this.

Our current point total on Rivals is 825 making us #30 overall. Many schools around us have fewer commits so barring improvements to our class our rank will decline as other classes fill out. For reference, the #45 ranked class had 830 total points last year so using that as a benchmark we should probably be looking at #45 as a floor.

Where we end up is hugely dependent on who the last few players are that commit. We are still in the running for a 5-star (Seantrel) and some very good 4-stars (Dontae Williams, Richard Ash, Josh Huff) and I don't think a Juco DB popping up out of nowhere is out of the question. If we can land a few of the top players we have remaining a top 25 class isn't out of the question. If we land none of them and fill out the last 5 or so spots with 3-star rated players (Beau Allen, Nduka Onyeali, Kevin Kissebirth, Kenny Bell, etc) I would guess we'll rank somewhere around #40.

I won't give specific names of who I think our final commitments will be but my guess is that it will be 1 to 2 of the 4-star/5-star players (anything more than that would be awesome) with lower ranked players (hopefully 3-stars) filling in the rest of the class. I also think there is still a possibility that a few of the current recruits in the class end up going elsewhere which could change the make-up and rankings of the class (for better or worse). I predicted a few months ago that this class will end up with a ranking somewhere around 35 and I am still comfortable with that prediction. With the new stadium many fans had higher expectations but the reality is we can no longer sell playing time like we did in 2008 and history has shown new staffs show a bump in recruiting in year 1-2. The improved facilities and a staff that is focused on recruiting will level Minnesota recruiting off at a higher level than we had in the past but we can't expect consistent top 20 classes until our performance on the field is consistently top 25.

Rankings aside, in the big picture what this class represents is adding depth to this roster with nobody needing to step in and play from day one. There are some possible exceptions: CB, LT (if we land Seantrel), and possibly even RB but those are because a new recruit is more talented than a returning player(s) with experience (Collado... Alford... Bennett/Eskridge/Whaley). There are a lot of players that will redshirt in this class (especially along the OL) but we're at a place where we can afford that. I think we have a few "diamonds in the rough" (Tatum, Mitchell, Josh Allen) that have more athleticism and upside than players that would have received that title in previous Gopher classes. One other thing that the StarTribune loves to pick on (academics) is continuiing to improve. Our 2008 class had a lot of academic risks (~7 Juco's, Gray, Reeves, etc), we took fewer in 2009 (2 Juco's, Lipscomb, Searcy), and I think we have even less in 2010.

Sorry that was really long.

That was what I was looking for.... Seantrel, Gayden, and Ash are on my wish list...I'm under the impression we're going to land 4 star back Josh Huff. If we get a serious offensive line next year, we'll have a serious team with either Webber or Gray at the helm....

we'll have a serious team with either Webber or Gray at the helm....

If you've got someone named Moses on your roster, you pretty much have to start him.

Just look at how well Moses Malone has done as a starter.

My distant view...

40 years of wandering in the desert of "lower-tier" field results tends to reinforce the tendency toward negativity in the tribes of GN. Is the Brewster developmental HCing experiment a "mirage", the optimist's oasis or the longed-for GN "Kingdom on the Hill"?

Based on opinions here, noone knows and won't know for a few years. In the meantime, as the bipolar sands shift from week-to-week, GH makes for some interesting reading, sporting entertainment and speculative controversy while all wait with great anticipation as the drama unfolds.

We need a big, fast, strong running back! Eskridge, Whaley and Bennett are running hard and giving it all they have, with not a lot of help from the O-line, but we need a guy who can break tackles.

About the negative tinge on the board, I think you're right. Many of the board oldtimers left two or three years ago and they tended to be more upbeat. I don't see those people on the board, anymore. The younger crowd seems less appreciative of what Weber, et. al., do when they are performing well, but very critical when they are not. 6-6 is all I expected this season and it looks like that's what we'll end up with (I'm doubtful about winning the Halloween night game).

But the offense has to improve by next year or we'll have a losing season. The offense continues to be a huge problem.

Thanks, Grunkiejr

Just what I was looking for as well in this thread.

Hit the nail on the head

Actually, many of the negative posters are also the positive ones. The internet brgings out bi-polar personalities. Look at each week's game thread for examples of this.
I am one of these people, I am a huge fan of the gophers football but also basketball, wrestling, Hockey etc... but I am very disappointed when a loss happens and in the past I have talked out loud about my frustrations through this board but there are many people on this board that rather than let you vent they want to argue, call you names, say that your not a fan etc...

I think the current rivals ranked class will end up about 7th in the Big Ten, for what that is worth. The real shock of the season, to me, is the tail spin Illinois might find itself in. After posting classes that have ranked in the top quarter of the conference year in and year out Zook is on pace for a bottom third finish, if he survives that is. If he doesn't the class will of course bottom out as all the blue chippers run for the door.

I thought a guy that was brought in because he was an ace recruiter would do a little better then 59, 28, 46 and 31 (currently). Wasn't he brought in to bring in top 20 classes? That is all I have read about for 3 years on this board. Does not seem to be living up to that billing.

Given that, does he have the ability to develop and coach the talent he does bring in? That is the big question. The jury is certainly still out on that one. Very informative post above in this thread regarding the '10 class and where it should be ranked. I just get the impression that is not what the administration signed up for when they brought Brewster in.

No top 20 classes, 31st in his 4th year recruiting, with a brand spanking new stadium, a great University and in a beautiful metropolitan area? Is Brewster living up to what he sold the U on?

I would not want to be in Maturi's shoes and have to decide whether to give him 4.5 or 5 more million after this year. That will be a career decision for him.

I thought a guy that was brought in because he was an ace recruiter would do a little better then 59, 28, 46 and 31 (currently). Wasn't he brought in to bring in top 20 classes? That is all I have read about for 3 years on this board. Does not seem to be living up to that billing.

Given that, does he have the ability to develop and coach the talent he does bring in? That is the big question. The jury is certainly still out on that one. Very informative post above in this thread regarding the '10 class and where it should be ranked. I just get the impression that is not what the administration signed up for when they brought Brewster in.

No top 20 classes, 31st in his 4th year recruiting, with a brand spanking new stadium, a great University and in a beautiful metropolitan area? Is Brewster living up to what he sold the U on?

I would not want to be in Maturi's shoes and have to decide whether to give him 4.5 or 5 more million after this year. That will be a career decision for him.

Where is Wiscy at in thier ranking again? I forgot.

GV seems pretty spot on there in my opinion.

No he's not. He was brought in to improve our recruiting. You can only out recruit your sangarin ranking by so far. He's been far exceeding that. If you do a comparison of sangarin verses recruiting rankings you'll see Brew is doing very well.

I agree as well. Add to the fact that the teams in the Big 10 that are routinely beating us on the recruiting front are also thought to have superior coaching/player development to ours and that makes it hard to gain ground when your getting beat on both fronts, recruiting and coaching.

I agree as well. Add to the fact that the teams in the Big 10 that are routinely beating us on the recruiting front are also thought to have superior coaching/player development to ours and that makes it hard to gain ground when your getting beat on both fronts, recruiting and coaching.

Teams such as???

There are two types of posters with whom I take exception. Those who pose as gopher fans with the intent of sowing the seeds of discontent and the malecontents whose obsessive deriding of Brewster and the program is nothing short of pathological. I just find them absolutely tiresome and pathetic.

Oh, you mean people like GopherGod, yes they are pathetic little guys, I believe he just posted more of his comments in this thread. Can you feel his depression just ooooozing out of his words???

Teams such as???

How about Penn State, Michigan, Ohio State consistently and of late Michigan State. Iowa is also doing well with recruiting thus far and they have shown a consistent pattern of being able to vastly out perform their rankings with superior coaching and development from that staff. Based on this it would look as if we are bound most of the time to be the 4th best team in the conference at best at our current performance level.

You're absolutely pathetic, sorry, but you just agreed with a Badger troll who posted BS to get people to react, and instead to end up agreeing with him!!! Embarrassing.

I thinks its hilarious that tools such as yourselves come on here and get some jollies about being constantly negative, I can just imagine what you have to be like in real life, I'm sure you're an absolute treat to be around. Just some sorry depressing individuals on here.

Oh GV, you're quite a gal. I find it pathetically humorous how you quote Scout rankings, because they rank Minnesota lower than Rivals. If you give more credence to Scout, then you are stupid (even by Becky standards).

6-0
18-11
59-52-8

Enjoy it while it lasts.

How about Penn State, Michigan, Ohio State consistently and of late Michigan State. Iowa is also doing well with recruiting thus far and they have shown a consistent pattern of being able to vastly out perform their rankings with superior coaching and development from that staff. Based on this it would look as if we are bound most of the time to be the 4th best team in the conference at best.

That was such an easy set up. thanks for playing. Really Penn State, Ohio State, and Michigan. Perennial top ten teams. You're a tool dude.

Michigan state is a future team to watch out for, but seriously what have they done yet.

Iowa is the only team out performing their recruiting strength right now. The only one. All the others you've mentioned are underperforming. We're performing pretty much right at our recruiting strength. so by your argument brewster is a superior coach to all but Iowa.

That's not what I would say, but your argument surely makes that case. I didn't realize your such a Brewster backer. I had you all wrong.

That was fun we'll play again later.

Well, then you're pretty much demonstrably 100% wrong. According to every currently used metric and scouting service, our recruiting has improved dramatically under Coach Brewster. So...yeah, that's about all there is to say about it. If you don't believe everyone here, let me know and I'll try to dig up some class rankings from the Mason era.

btw, that first class cannot be credited/faulted to Brewster. He had all of a month and a half to recruit, and that was basically all Mason.

Top Bottom