Realistic season predictions

Let's ask a question that can actually fit in a response on this site: What is right about this team?

I’m guessing around 14 wins. There are some future pieces but it’s going to take time

I’m guessing around 14 wins. There are some future pieces but it’s going to take time
I just don’t see it. They are 4-3 after tonight with only 4 non conference games left and one of them is at Mississippi state. Assuming they win all 4 of those that means 6 wins in the big ten to get to the 14. I’m sorry with this guard play and free throw shooting their ain’t now way they are gonna win 6 games in the big ten. Last years team was way better than this years team and they only went 6-14 in conference and 14-15 overall. If they win 10 games this year that will be something.

I just don’t see it. They are 4-3 after tonight with only 4 non conference games left and one of them is at Mississippi state. Assuming they win all 4 of those that means 6 wins in the big ten to get to the 14. I’m sorry with this guard play and free throw shooting their ain’t now way they are gonna win 6 games in the big ten. Last years team was way better than this years team and they only went 6-14 in conference and 14-15 overall. If they win 10 games this year that will be something.
One correction: The Mississippi State game is at home (we played in Starkville last year).

Other than that though, I agree. The game against the Bulldogs will be tough, and just don't see many victories in the conference again this year.

It is looking like we might be battling Nebraska again for last place, and maybe 12 wins total on the season.

I’d be surprised if they win over 10 games.

We only have 3 cupcakes in the non conference left and we’ll be underdogs in all but the Nebraska game at home in conference.

Have we ever gone oh-fer in the B1G? This may be the year.
Can't say I will relish the signs calling us the Minnesota Ophers. But, we have to weather this season of young kids trying to figure this game out at the D1 level. Gotta play the long game right now.

Have we ever gone oh-fer in the B1G? This may be the year.

I doubt it. This team has better personnel than the worst Big Ten teams I've ever seen and even those managed to win a couple of games. This team just has to figure out how to play together. Battle is the biggest problem in my view. He's trying to do what he did last year but he's not up to the task at this point and this is a different team with different player dynamics. Garcia also has to figure out what his primary tasks are going to be on this team.

Of course, coaches are supposed to be the conductors of the player orchestra but I don't see a lot of evidence of that yet.

Last edited:

A major flaw in "we'll be better next year" is assuming there won't be multiple transfers if we win 8-9 games and get blown out every night.

A major flaw in "we'll be better next year" is assuming there won't be multiple transfers if we win 8-9 games and get blown out every night.
And also to assume Ihnen and Fox will be major contributors. That’s a big ask for guys that blew their knees out and haven’t played for 2 seasons.

And also to assume Ihnen and Fox will be major contributors. That’s a big ask for guys that blew their knees out and haven’t played for 2 seasons.

I also don't see how they significantly help this team. They are redundant pieces that don't fill their biggest weaknesses.

Yeah, not sure Payne stays long with Evans coming in.

Guy already showing the goods might get a nice NIL offer quickly and go to a team that actually has guards.

All of you assume they will not get any better throughout this year. Ben will not find ways to leverage the talent he has available, Battle will not get back to all-Bigten form a few great games, JoJ/Payne/Henley not maturing much more quickly than expected due to playing time, team as a whole is not able adjusts to deal with defensive pressure due to lack of true PGs, free throw shooting improves. What if they win more games than you expect?

What if you guys plan on the absolute worse year possible and the team does not live up to this pity party? What about that?

10 to 12 wins should be considered a success for this team after watching the first 7 games.

What is BJ’s buyout?

Correction - here is an article:

He makes base salary of $1.95 M through 2026-27. After this year (his second year) his buyout will be 75% of his full remaining base. After next year 50% remaining…and so on.

- so with the U being cheap we could be stuck with him

Top Bottom