Randy Shannon...Why?

thailleagle

Reaction score
Maybe someone can explain to me why Shannon is getting mention in "A-List" category???

2007 Miami 5–7 2–6 5th (Coastal) — —
2008 Miami 7–6 4–4 T-3rd (Coastal) L Emerald — —
2009 Miami 9–4 5–3 3rd (Coastal) L Champs Sports 19 19
2010 Miami 5–2 3–1
Miami: 26–19 14–14
Total: 26–19

1st HC Job...No Bowl Wins...No Conference Titles...And he hasn't done much at the U of Miami, a place not too hard to bring talent...blown out at home by FSU. His wins this season are against Florida A&M, Duke & then 3 teams that have records of 4-3 (North Carolina, Clemson & Pitt)...

Somebody please school me on Randy Shannon cuz maybe it's something I'm missing...

Maybe Shannon is insinuating himself into our search. Similar to how Brewster did with Kansas.

IMO I think he would be a great guy to get. He would recruit the SOFla area and get some speed.

Randy Shannon is not winning at an acceptable level at Miami and has yet to do so. He would be a terrible hire...most Cane fans are sick of Shannon from what I hear.

Maybe someone can explain to me why Shannon is getting mention in "A-List" category???

2007 Miami 5–7 2–6 5th (Coastal) — —
2008 Miami 7–6 4–4 T-3rd (Coastal) L Emerald — —
2009 Miami 9–4 5–3 3rd (Coastal) L Champs Sports 19 19
2010 Miami 5–2 3–1
Miami: 26–19 14–14
Total: 26–19

1st HC Job...No Bowl Wins...No Conference Titles...And he hasn't done much at the U of Miami, a place not too hard to bring talent...blown out at home by FSU. His wins this season are against Florida A&M, Duke & then 3 teams that have records of 4-3 (North Carolina, Clemson & Pitt)...

Somebody please school me on Randy Shannon cuz maybe it's something I'm missing...
What makes you think it's so easy to recruit to Miami? There are two powerful draws in state competing with him and Miami is a pro town where the college athlete is in the shadows. If he had a weak record at UF or FSU, I'd agree with you.

Agreed w/ OP. The amount of attention Shannon is getting makes no sense to me. Even if he is responsible for bringing the great classes in to Miami (which I'm almost confident he's not. I could recruit a top-25 class to Miami) he's obviously not doing anything with the talent. Which makes him, basically, a more expensive Tim Brewster.

What makes you think it's so easy to recruit to Miami? There are two powerful draws in state competing with him and Miami is a pro town where the college athlete is in the shadows. If he had a weak record at UF or FSU, I'd agree with you.

He thinks it's easy to recruit to Miami because it's REALLY easy to recruit to Miami. You could make a competitive program with the players from Florida that don't go to Florida, Florida State, or Miami. (Which South Florida has demonstrated by starting to regularly go to D-1 bowls less than ten years after the football program was created).

Yeah its easy when the school is in Florida, there is no telling how he would recruit in Minnesota. Im not worried about him getting hired here because it just doesnt make sense and he still has a job.

GoldenHerbs: There's a very good chance that the hire "still has a job." ... wouldn't bet on Shannon, but to say it doesn't make sense is not right... he can make a lot more $$ elsewhere... doesn't like playing at Pro Player... received far too much backlash apparently after losing by 28 to Florida State... and negative outside influences there are rearing their ugly head(s) again.

We're talking about a team that was 5 years removed from a National Championship appearance...

IMO...he hasn't proven enough to be considered an "A-List" type of guy...

This was another name that made me throw up in my mouth a little when I heard it being circulated.

C'mon...say it....

.....we all know the real reason why.......

yes we do...but no one wants to be the fisrt...:D

Geeze there was an article in both papers today, it's hardly the elephant in the room. They want a 'big-name' coach from a BCS program. They are under pressure to have 'diversity'. The # of people who meet both qualifications isn't large, so Shannon could become a sort of compromise candidate.

While he's not my first choice (I'd rather have Richt or Belotti for sure and possibly Golden or Calhoun as well) I don't think he's nearly as awful a choice as you're making him out to me. Miami is not the Miami of Jimmy Johnson and it hasn't been at that level since at least the Butch Davis era ended (Coker had a couple of good years but it appears to have been a bubble). All in all he's doing an OK job. There's certainly no more risk in him then there is in Sumlin, Calhoun or any of the other candidates from smaller programs. Can he recruit to anyplace other then Miami? I don't know. But we don't know if the others can recruit at the BCS level either.

Knock him all you want, Miami has gotten better record-wise every year he has been there. The Canes also control their own destiny in the ACC, as if they beat VT they are heading to the championship game. Overall I think he's an extremely good candidate I just don't think he will ultimately get the nod. I think his roots are in Miami and I don't really see him leaving.

I don't understand the dislike of Shannon. He has developed his program. Improvement every year. Steady improvement shows that he can coach his own recruits. He isn't #1 on my list, but he is an excellent coach who is building a consistent winner. Not sure why that would make you throw up in your mouth.

I don't understand the dislike of Shannon. He has developed his program. Improvement every year. Steady improvement shows that he can coach his own recruits. He isn't #1 on my list, but he is an excellent coach who is building a consistent winner. Not sure why that would make you throw up in your mouth.
There are like 5 threads from people stressing about the possibility of an "affirmative action hire". I ain't no psychic but I've got a tinglin'

It hasn't always been easy to win at Miami. I remember back when Lou Saban left to coach Army back in the late '70s, the University had serious discussion about its football program and its future, and mulled over all options including dropping down to 1-AA or even disbanding the football team altogether. Things were that bad at Miami. The school was in a big financial crunch, attendance at their games was horrible, the football program was bleeding money, and they'd just lost their coach, who looked as if he might be the one to turn things around for them.

And then Howard Schnellenberger came and saved them, and Saban hardly left the cupboard bare as he bequeathed him players like Jim Kelly and Ottis Anderson, and Schnellenberger just took that team and ran with it and elevated that entire program right into the upper stratosphere of college football.

I keep hearing that Maturi wants to hire a man that has coached at D-1 level and has name recognition. Why has race all of a sudden become an issue? I thought the point of Brewster's firing was that he was unable to reach the goal of being one of the best football programs in the big ten. It was not about diversity. If he can win then great but otherwise we have gone from hiring a great coach to a new experiment. Maturi seems to have lost what his stated goals were? I guess the big names are off the board-Leach, Belloiti, and I would guess we are moving down the $$$ scale as well.

Sumlin

GoldenHerbs: There's a very good chance that the hire "still has a job." ... wouldn't bet on Shannon, but to say it doesn't make sense is not right... he can make a lot more $$ elsewhere... doesn't like playing at Pro Player... received far too much backlash apparently after losing by 28 to Florida State... and negative outside influences there are rearing their ugly head(s) again.

Put Sumlin at Miami and Shannon at Houston. Who does better? I will take Sumlin 10 out of 10.

Shannon does less with more.

I keep hearing that Maturi wants to hire a man that has coached at D-1 level and has name recognition. Why has race all of a sudden become an issue? I thought the point of Brewster's firing was that he was unable to reach the goal of being one of the best football programs in the big ten. It was not about diversity. If he can win then great but otherwise we have gone from hiring a great coach to a new experiment. Maturi seems to have lost what his stated goals were? I guess the big names are off the board-Leach, Belloiti, and I would guess we are moving down the $$$ scale as well.

Maturi talks out of both sides of mouth all the time; constant dithering and contradictory statements. He also cannot shut his mouth often times when he should. Classic Peter Principle case here.

He flat out needs to be cashiered and should have zero role in this hire.

He will F it up if he get the chance to, which I do not think he will get. Despite backing Maturi in public, the "Prexy B" is a very shrewd man who will not let his name get stained by some inept, bumbling underling like Maturi. Maturi had his chance and he will not get another, but this will all be kept private.

Bruininks will make sure this gets fixed before he leaves and Maturi will not be allowed to stop this process. He really needs to seal his yapper until the press conference. Who really expected anyting out of Maturi? Not me, even though he will get credit when they hire a great coach, even though behind the scenes he will have had nothing substantive to do with it.

He is a small thinking, irritating ditherer. I pity anyone with briliance, potential or intelligence that ever had to work in a Maturi Department of Athletics.

My thing with Shannon is look who they've beaten this year compared to who they lost to & how they lost...

I think we can do better...

Well that's a two ellipsis post who am I to argue.

My thing with Shannon is look who they've beaten this year compared to who they lost to & how they lost...

I think we can do better...

We might, be we could also do a lot worse. I really like that Shannon is building his team to not be a flash in the pan. Sustained success and improvement are the hallmarks of good coaching. Our program needs this in a bad way.

We might, be we could also do a lot worse. I really like that Shannon is building his team to not be a flash in the pan. Sustained success and improvement are the hallmarks of good coaching. Our program needs this in a bad way.

So where would you put Shannon on your list? Because right now IMO he's behind any "A-List" Candidate and I honestly feel Sumlin or Golden would be a better hire seeing as how they've done a lot with very little. I would put him in front of Calhoun though. I like Calhoun but I just don't know if he'd translate well from Air Force to Minnesota...

I know it's early but unranked Virginia's up 14-0 at the half on #22 Miami...

.- .-. . -.-- --- ..- - .-. -.-- .. -. --. - --- .... .. -.. . -- . ... ... .- --. . ... .- - - .... . . -. -.. --- ..-. -.-- --- ..- .-. .--. --- ... - ... ... - --- .--. .. -. --- - .. -.-. . -.. -.-- --- ..- .- .-. . ... - .. .-.. .-.. .--. --- ... - .. -. --. .- -... --- ..- - .-. .- -. -.. -.-- ... .... .- -. -. --- -. ... - --- .--. .. -. ..-. .- -.-. - -.-- --- ..- .- .-. . .--. --- ... - .. -. --. --. . -. . .-. .- .-.. .-.. -.-- ... - --- .--.

Top Bottom