Rand's blog: Brewster apparently counts assistant victories on his all-time record

You do realize that your "loser" head coach Tim Brewster did lead this program to a bowl game this past season, right? And you throw out Greg Robinson as a comparison? You really think Robinson's situation is comparable to Brewster, a guy who led his team to a freaking bowl game? Robinson won 3 conference games in four years in a weak Big East. Brewster has been to a bowl game already.

I know you and dinkyguy are hoping and praying that Brewster fails, but jesus dude, the head coach of your football team did take this team to a bowl game. I know they had a late season collapse and the Iowa loss was embarrassing, but let's not go overboard in your goal of painting Brewster a failure.

And, yes, I'm sure Hayden Fry and Ron Zook and Gary Barnett never painted themselves as winners prior to turning their records around. Ever read Barnett's book? His entire focus was changing the culture at Northwestern - and yes, that meant creating things that put the program in a positive light even if there wasn't much positive going on. Hayden Fry? My gosh, I seem to recall he was a rather outspoken, boastful Texan who came in promising big things at Iowa long before he got to Pasadena.

I am just saying is you can create a positive spin on things and talk up the program without trying to proclaim yourself a winner before the fact. Simply stand up and say that you were an assistant coach with some very successful programs and that you are working to rebuild the Minnesota program, etc. Also, I never called him a loser, I just stated that at this point in time we don't know and his career could improve and become a winning record or stay the same or decline and end up with a losing record. I just prefer that the coach state the facts and not try and pump himself up before the work is done, i.e. winning. Also, I really hope that you have higher aspirations than what Iowa or Northwestern has ever done, as neither one has been a major player nationally for a long time.

I am just saying is you can create a positive spin on things and talk up the program without trying to proclaim yourself a winner before the fact. Simply stand up and say that you were an assistant coach with some very successful programs and that you are working to rebuild the Minnesota program, etc.

Who cares?

It is just dumb for him to make such a statement. He was a very minor player on most of those staffs, not even paid in some cases. Him claiming those as coaching victories or losses is pathetic. His record is 8-17 and hopefully improving soon. End of discussion.

I wouldn't say helping to land Julius Peppers and Vince Young is minor.

I do find if funny how people think Brewster actually wrote this himself. Most bio information is written by the SID staff, even for a blog.

I would say he was a very minor part of all the wins at UNC, Texas, etc. He was never more than a low-level position coach.

If Brewster is going to insist on having all these websites then he needs to take responsibility for what is on them. If he doesn't want to do that, then he should take all the sites down or at least find someone not bent on exaggerating or posting insults to run them. Add a little more professionalism to the mix.

I wouldn't say helping to land Julius Peppers and Vince Young is minor.

I do find if funny how people think Brewster actually wrote this himself. Most bio information is written by the SID staff, even for a blog.

You are responsible for fact checking your own bio and resume. Please, landing Vince Young a Houston kid to go to Texas is not a hard task by any means. Texas has in-state prospects lining up banging on the doors waiting for scholarships from their home state school so to get a Texas kid to go to Texas is by no means a major feat.

It's not a big deal, but I'd definitely put this in the category of "cheesy." I would venture to guess that if/when Brew's head coaching record gets to at least .500 or better, then he'll put more focus on his head coaching record, as opposed to the coattails of others he's worked with.

Also, I really hope that you have higher aspirations than what Iowa or Northwestern has ever done, as neither one has been a major player nationally for a long time.

Can you define long time? Iowa finished in the top ten in the nation in 2002, 2003, and 2004 and has played in January bowl games in five of the past seven years.

And, I don't know, given the fact we're a program that hasn't won a Big Ten title in 43, I'd think we could shoot for what Iowa has accomplished in the past 30 years -- 5 Big Ten titles, 3 Rose Bowls (more than OSU), an Orange Bowl, 21 total bowl games, five times finishing the year in the Top Ten, had 1 legitimate shot at a national title ('85), and two other slim shots ('90, '02) had things fallen differently.

Call me crazy, but if you could promise me that over the next 30 years for Minnesota, it would take me about 1.3 seconds to respond with a "YES." Nothing to be ashamed of to shoot for Big Ten titles and Rose Bowls.

Can you define long time? Iowa finished in the top ten in the nation in 2002, 2003, and 2004 and has played in January bowl games in five of the past seven years.

And, I don't know, given the fact we're a program that hasn't won a Big Ten title in 43, I'd think we could shoot for what Iowa has accomplished in the past 30 years -- 5 Big Ten titles, 3 Rose Bowls (more than OSU), an Orange Bowl, 21 total bowl games, five times finishing the year in the Top Ten, had 1 legitimate shot at a national title ('85), and two other slim shots ('90, '02) had things fallen differently.

Call me crazy, but if you could promise me that over the next 30 years for Minnesota, it would take me about 1.3 seconds to respond with a "YES." Nothing to be ashamed of to shoot for Big Ten titles and Rose Bowls.

To be able to duplicate their success would be a good start don't get me wrong, but I wouldn't want to stop there and be happy just sustaining what Iowa has which includes never even be talked about in the national championship discussions which I would hope all programs would aspire to. At some point you should aspire to be talked about in the same breath as the Florida, Texas, USC, Ohio States, etc.

grunk,
we'll just have to agree to disagree on this point...:D:D:D

I'm not excusing winning only one game in 2007 but that roster wasn't comparable to the prior rosters. Do you honestly believe that we had the same talent in 2007 as in prior years? My only point is that you are overstating the failure of 2007 by mentioning the record of the 2002 & 2003 team when there wasn't even a single player in common from either of those years and 2007.

You are responsible for fact checking your own bio and resume. Please, landing Vince Young a Houston kid to go to Texas is not a hard task by any means. Texas has in-state prospects lining up banging on the doors waiting for scholarships from their home state school so to get a Texas kid to go to Texas is by no means a major feat.

That wasn't the case before Mack Brown (and Brewster) got to Texas. Landing Young is a bigger accomplishment than you are acknowledging.

To be able to duplicate their success would be a good start don't get me wrong, but I wouldn't want to stop there and be happy just sustaining what Iowa has which includes never even be talked about in the national championship discussions which I would hope all programs would aspire to. At some point you should aspire to be talked about in the same breath as the Florida, Texas, USC, Ohio States, etc.

That would be the ultimate, no doubt. But, as I said, Iowa WAS in the national title discussion three times in the past 30 years, you simply weren't paying attention. Once in serious contention - having been ranked No. 1 for seven or eight weeks in 1985. Again, in 1990, they were ranked No. 3 at one point late in the season. We spoiled some of that, beating them in the dome (they still went to Pasadena). In 2002, they finished 8-0 in the Big Ten and had they been able to play and beat OSU in the regular season they may have been in the national title game instead of OSU. But, IA and OSU did not play that year and No. 2 OSU won the national title by beating No. 1 Miami. No. 3 Iowa went to the Orange Bowl.

Obviously that isn't Texas or OSU or USC or Oklahoma territory, but given our past four decades, I'd take that here at the U.

Please, landing Vince Young a Houston kid to go to Texas is not a hard task by any means. Texas has in-state prospects lining up banging on the doors waiting for scholarships from their home state school so to get a Texas kid to go to Texas is by no means a major feat.

So why do Texas fans revere Brewster for locking down Young?

That wasn't the case before Mack Brown (and Brewster) got to Texas. Landing Young is a bigger accomplishment than you are acknowledging.

First off I was actually living there when Vince Young came to town and I can tell you not only then but before that Texas was always a popular place to play and had a huge following in Texas. Sure Mack Brown helped increase the profile and success after the Mackovic years but the University has always had tremendous support in the state. Also, since Brewster left Texas the program has not missed a beat in recruiting if not improved so how much of that success really is due to Brewster versus Mack Brown and the fact that it is Texas.

Exactly. Anyone who followed Young's recruitment knows he was a near lock for Miami (FL) at one point. Enter Brewster who wooed Young to stay in his homestate. It was not a slam dunk or easy "get".

What Texas fans, the majority of Texas fans I talked to when living there couldn't tell you then or today who Tim Brewster is.

What Texas fans, the majority of Texas fans I talked to when living there couldn't tell you then or today who Tim Brewster is.

Just because you didn't know who Tim Brewster was when you lived there, doesn't mean the die-hard Longhorn fans didn't.

I mean seriously. Most die-hard Texas fans can name you the grad assistants and quality control folks. You know, they take their football in Texas seriously.

So, don't come on here and make claims about things you have no idea about - even if you lived in Texas.

Just because you didn't know who Tim Brewster was when you lived there, doesn't mean the die-hard Longhorn fans didn't.

I mean seriously. Most die-hard Texas fans can name you the grad assistants and quality control folks. You know, they take their football in Texas seriously.

So, don't come on here and make claims about things you have no idea about - even if you lived in Texas.

I am talking about die-hard fans who attend every Texas game and were and are long time season ticket holder. Did I say that I talked to every single Texas fan out there, no but I am pretty sure I have had more interactions and discussions with Texas fans that you have living up here 1200 miles away.

I am talking about die-hard fans who attend every Texas game and were and are long time season ticket holder. Did I say that I talked to every single Texas fan out there, no but I am pretty sure I have had more interactions and discussions with Texas fans that you have living up here 1200 miles away.

What did they say when you asked them about Tim Brewster?

What did they say when you asked them about Tim Brewster?

None of the fans bashed him they just didn't know or remember him. I was living there at the time we hired Brewster and was really excited about but also didn't know much about it as he was a darkhorse candidate so I started asking people about him and most just didn't remember or know him, nothing bad. I am just sharing my experiences whether people like them or not. The fact remains that today Texas without Brewster is still able to pick and choose virtually any kid in the state it wants and only has to compete with LSU and Oklahoma on a few recruits. Mack Brown wants the players to commit early and if they don't he moves on to the next one, which is what he appears to be doing right now with the #2 national recruit RB Seastrunck.

None of the fans bashed him they just didn't know or remember him. I was living there at the time we hired Brewster and was really excited about but also didn't know much about it as he was a darkhorse candidate so I started asking people about him and most just didn't remember or know him, nothing bad. I am just sharing my experiences whether people like them or not. The fact remains that today Texas without Brewster is still able to pick and choose virtually any kid in the state it wants and only has to compete with LSU and Oklahoma on a few recruits. Mack Brown wants the players to commit early and if they don't he moves on to the next one, which is what he appears to be doing right now with the #2 national recruit RB Seastrunck.

Do most Gopher fans know who recruited Marion Barber III?

...Also, since Brewster left Texas the program has not missed a beat in recruiting if not improved so how much of that success really is due to Brewster versus Mack Brown and the fact that it is Texas.

geez...that's ironic...in some respects, not much has changed up north either during the past 2-1/2 years...unable to recruit michael floyd...unable to recruit bryce mcneal...unable to recruit willie mobley...unable to recruit brendan kelly...ed olson's younger brother looking around????:eek::eek::eek:

You should also realize that the average fan doesn't follow recruiting closely or know much about assistants. When Brewster was hired the Gopher free boards on Rivals were flooded with Texas guys saying how great a hire Brewster was and how many people thought he had a decent chance to eventually take over for Mack when he retired.

Recruiting Young WAS a Big Deal

The fact that Brewster recruited Vince Young became a big deal in the media when UT beat USC for the NC and Young was the star of the game. When Brewster started recruiting Young, Vince was not even considering UT. That is what made this a great story. Tim got his foot in the door, built a great relationship with the family and then signed him to a LOI. The other hot HS QB in Texas at the time was Reggie McNeal, who ended up going to TAMU in College Station. UT really needed a QB and it looked like they were going to miss on both of these guys until Brewster worked his magic with Young.

I was living in Texas when all this took place. I was not a big Longhorn fan, but I knew who Tim Brewster was and the reports of his recruiting prowess. I know Mack Brown said in an interview here that he speaks to Brewster after every Gopher game.

You do realize that your "loser" head coach Tim Brewster did lead this program to a bowl game this past season, right? And you throw out Greg Robinson as a comparison? You really think Robinson's situation is comparable to Brewster, a guy who led his team to a freaking bowl game? Robinson won 3 conference games in four years in a weak Big East. Brewster has been to a bowl game already.

I know you and dinkyguy are hoping and praying that Brewster fails, but jesus dude, the head coach of your football team did take this team to a bowl game. I know they had a late season collapse and the Iowa loss was embarrassing, but let's not go overboard in your goal of painting Brewster a failure.

And, yes, I'm sure Hayden Fry and Ron Zook and Gary Barnett never painted themselves as winners prior to turning their records around. Ever read Barnett's book? His entire focus was changing the culture at Northwestern - and yes, that meant creating things that put the program in a positive light even if there wasn't much positive going on. Hayden Fry? My gosh, I seem to recall he was a rather outspoken, boastful Texan who came in promising big things at Iowa long before he got to Pasadena.

Seems to me Brewster isn't the first coach to have a late season collapse at Minnesota....

I emailed Mr. Maturi Wednesday about my concern and this was his response:
***********************************************************************************************
I will pass it along. I have not seen – do not know if it represents his time as an assistant as well as a head coach or not.

Joel Maturi
************************************************************************************************

Not sure if this is what did it but the site now lists Brews career HC record along with his assistant coaching record. Problem solved.

Here is a link from play4brew.com I think it clearly indicates there should be no controversy here... click on the Brewster tab, page down and it clearly shows head coaching record and overall college coaching record...

http://www.play4brew.com/umFinal.html

After getting some more public ridicule he changed it. Hopefully he is learning. The record is still wrong. He did fix some of the typos but not all. Get a professional to help him with all his many websites and these things won't happen.

Well, I Guess You Showed Him a Thing or Two

I emailed Mr. Maturi Wednesday about my concern and this was his response:
***********************************************************************************************
I will pass it along. I have not seen – do not know if it represents his time as an assistant as well as a head coach or not.

Joel Maturi
************************************************************************************************

Not sure if this is what did it but the site now lists Brews career HC record along with his assistant coaching record. Problem solved.

Well, well, well, we sure took care of that, didn't we. Gives you something to brag about over the weekend. Kind of a Fat Pat or Dark Star justice. No danged football coach is going to pull this horrible misdeed in Minnesota. We'll have none of that.

Top Bottom