Rand's blog: Brewster apparently counts assistant victories on his all-time record

Sometimes I think he lacks a certain social....self-awareness. The product of waaaaaay too much time around other "steaks" (what we used to call those geniuses on the college football coaching circuit).

Coach Brewster will not hesitate to pat himself on the back or pad his stats on the web. He does try hard to impress.

Coach Brewster will not hesitate to pat himself on the back or pad his stats on the web. He does try hard to impress.

we shouldn't be leapin' to conclusions...perhaps some mystery hackin' blogger went into brewster's account and fluffed up the record...unbeknownst to the man himself...:rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

:rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes: :eek::eek::eek: :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

omfg
ng3kuq.jpg

Just when I think I am in he pulls me back out.

Seriously, please do a betterjob of thinking before you react. I actually bothered to follow the link becuase of what some of you wrote here. Waste of time.

It would have been a little strange.... except it is all taken entirely out of context. The record, as presented on the blog bio, clearly indicates the record refers to the cumulative record of the teams on which he has been on staff. In context, it is merely pointing out that the has worked for several of the nation's most successful football organizations. So, the real question... what's Rand's agenda?

Seriously, please do a betterjob of thinking before you react. I actually bothered to follow the link becuase of what some of you wrote here. Waste of time.

It would have been a little strange.... except it is all taken entirely out of context. The record, as presented on the blog bio, clearly indicates the record refers to the cumulative record of the teams on which he has been on staff. In context, it is merely pointing out that the has worked for several of the nation's most successful football organizations. So, the real question... what's Rand's agenda?

Not only that, but it appears to be pretty standard procedure to report wins and losses as an assistant (but at ND only winning seasons). Check out the Charlie Weis story from last month:

http://nogutsglory.blogspot.com/2009/05/notre-dame-will-go-to-any-length-to.html

I really don't have a problem with this, yeah it's a bit misleading, but this is essentially a recruiting tool, on a blog mostly set up for recruiting and to inform the fanbase. Brewster is recruiting 24/7, his blog and any other media sources reflect that, fine with me, just keep the talent coming in.

The bio reads:

Minnesota Head Coach Tim Brewster has 21 years of coaching experience. Prior to joining the Maroon and Gold, Brew served tenures under coaching legends Mack Brown, Marty Schottenheimer and Mike Shanahan. Brewster has coached in 10 Bowl games and played in two as a player at Illinois. In total, Brewster holds a coaching record of 113-61-1 (.645)

I'm with Goldmember...much ado about nothing. He clearly puts this into the context that his coaching career has been a part of successful teams/programs and he gives the proper tribute to the "coaching legends" he worked under. Weak writeup by Michael Rand.

Per Rand's blog : In total, Brewster holds a coaching record of 113-61-1 (.645)

Coach Brew is merely pointing out that he is a WINNER and that his actual 8-17 head coaching record is misleading.

All that is needed is adding "As an assistant coach,........" and there would zero ??'s. As it is, I can see where people find it misleading.

All that is needed is adding "As an assistant coach,........" and there would zero ??'s. As it is, I can see where people find it misleading.

This is one of those times where I agree that he should have toned it done a bit. I know that this is his recruiting site, but it's not hard to see how folks can blow this out of proportion. But he is who he is and I like most of how he sells things so I guess I will just shrug and going "meh" to this.

I love Michael Rand. I love coach Brewster, but this is hilarious. It might be a recruiting tool, but I still have never seen a head coach do this before.

Coach Brew is merely pointing out that he is a WINNER and that his actual 8-17 head coaching record is misleading.

absolutely the most hilarious statement i've read in a long time....:clap::clap::clap:

a real 'winner' would definitely like to put some distance between his winning persona...and his losing record...:eek::eek::eek:

we know how facts (i.e. actual win/loss records) can be 'misleading'...:rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

a real 'winner' would definitely like to put some distance between his winning persona...and his losing record...

we know how facts (i.e. actual win/loss records) can be 'misleading'...

:) Yes those pesky facts do tend to get in the way don't they...But if you want everyone to think of you as a winner but you're not really a winner yet (8-17) you have to use creative record keeping to show how much of a winner you will be when you actually become a winner. Having hung around with real winners his whole assistant coaching career I am sure Coach Brew considers himself a winner by default.

Definitely a nice case of making a mountain out of a molehill. Yeah, it seems misleading, but it doesn't say HEAD coaching record, and I think it's these little things that make him a great recruiter; he takes the smallest things and puts a very positive spin on them.

Of course, you know Iowa fans and writers are making a field day out of this :/

It is just dumb for him to make such a statement. He was a very minor player on most of those staffs, not even paid in some cases. Him claiming those as coaching victories or losses is pathetic. His record is 8-17 and hopefully improving soon. End of discussion.

absolutely the most hilarious statement i've read in a long time....:clap::clap::clap:

a real 'winner' would definitely like to put some distance between his winning persona...and his losing record...:eek::eek::eek:

we know how facts (i.e. actual win/loss records) can be 'misleading'...:rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

You have a point if and only if no coach has ever gotten off to a bad start and then done well afterwards. If a coach does well after an initial bad start, that means the initial bad record was... :eek: misleading :eek:

You have a point if and only if no coach has ever gotten off to a bad start and then done well afterwards. If a coach does well after an initial bad start, that means the initial bad record was... :eek: misleading :eek:

We disagree. We think our first two years are totally representative of what else we accomplished in our careers, which includes multiple league titles for many of us.

Sincerely,

Barry Alvarez, 6-16 first two years at Wis (3 Big Ten titles)
Hayden Fry, 9-13 first two years at IA (3 Big Ten Titles)
Gary Barnett, 5-17 first two years at NU (2 Big Ten titles)
Kirk Ferentz, 4-19 first two years at IA (2 Big Ten titles)
Ron Zook, 4-19 first two years at ILL (1 Rose Bowl app)
Gary Pinkel, 9-14 first two years at Mizzou (2 Big 12 N titles)
Bill Snyder, 6-16 first two years at K-State (4 Big 12 N titles)
Bill McCartney, 6-15-1 first two years at Colorado (3 Big 8 titles, 1 national title)

:) ...But if you want everyone to think of you as a winner but you're not really a winner yet (8-17) you have to use creative record keeping to show how much of a winner you will be when you actually become a winner. Having hung around with real winners his whole assistant coaching career I am sure Coach Brew considers himself a winner by default.

how ironic...the harder one tries to 'make everyone think of you as a winner'...the more one tends to be exposed for what he really is....a loser...:eek::eek::eek:

wonder if barry alvarez pulled the same stunt nearly 2 decades ago?:confused::confused::confused: he also (previously) coached in some rather successful football programs...and got off to a rather dubious start as a head coach...:eek::eek::eek:

though no fan of his, i'll bet alvarez took his first couple of seasons like a man...and didn't try to play fast and loose with the 'facts' :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

'creative record keeping'???:eek::eek::eek: are you kiddin' me???:eek::eek::eek:

sec105...did you previously work for enron?

Bill McCartney, 6-15-1 first two years at Colorado (3 Big 8 titles, 1 national title)

how many of these coaches inherited a team that was 38-25 with 5 bowl appearances in the previous 5 years:confused::confused::confused:

We disagree. We think our first two years are totally representative of what else we accomplished in our careers, which includes multiple league titles for many of us.

Sincerely,

That is all fine and dandy but don't you think you should wait to proclaim yourself a "winner" until you, I don't know win? Because until you prove yourself as a winner then you could just as easily go the opposite direction of those guys above and continue to lose. For example the fired former head coach Greg Robinson, he was an assistant at some very good programs but couldn't win as a head coach, should Syracuse have kept him on because he was "winner" based on his previous assistant coaching stops or fired him because he stunk as a head coach.

That is all fine and dandy but don't you think you should wait to proclaim yourself a "winner" until you, I don't know win? Because until you prove yourself as a winner then you could just as easily go the opposite direction of those guys above and continue to lose. For example the fired former head coach Greg Robinson, he was an assistant at some very good programs but couldn't win as a head coach, should Syracuse have kept him on because he was "winner" based on his previous assistant coaching stops or fired him because he stunk as a head coach.

You do realize that your "loser" head coach Tim Brewster did lead this program to a bowl game this past season, right? And you throw out Greg Robinson as a comparison? You really think Robinson's situation is comparable to Brewster, a guy who led his team to a freaking bowl game? Robinson won 3 conference games in four years in a weak Big East. Brewster has been to a bowl game already.

I know you and dinkyguy are hoping and praying that Brewster fails, but jesus dude, the head coach of your football team did take this team to a bowl game. I know they had a late season collapse and the Iowa loss was embarrassing, but let's not go overboard in your goal of painting Brewster a failure.

And, yes, I'm sure Hayden Fry and Ron Zook and Gary Barnett never painted themselves as winners prior to turning their records around. Ever read Barnett's book? His entire focus was changing the culture at Northwestern - and yes, that meant creating things that put the program in a positive light even if there wasn't much positive going on. Hayden Fry? My gosh, I seem to recall he was a rather outspoken, boastful Texan who came in promising big things at Iowa long before he got to Pasadena.

how many of these coaches inherited a team that was 38-25 with 5 bowl appearances in the previous 5 years:confused::confused::confused:

I'm sorry, did Brewster not take this team to a Mason-esque bowl game this past year? I seem to recall he did. Sure, he didn't blow a 31-7 second half lead, but hey, that's tough to accomplish.

That is the great thing about a college sport for someone like you. The roster turns over every year so you can use statistics that appear to mean something (5 years of data) but the reality is that 2002 & 2003 had nothing to do with 2007. The trajectory of the team since 2003 was downward and it culminated a complete disaster of a lineup in 2007 when we not only lost major contributors from 2006 through graduation (3-yr starter at QB, 4-yr starter & NFL draft pick at TE) but we lost 3 starters to off the field problems and then struggled with injuries to expected contributors (Van De Steeg, Pinnix) on a team that had razor thin depth.

The 2007 roster had nowhere near the talent that any of the 5 previous years had and you should realize that. Brewster took over a team with a losing record (6-7) that lost its biggest contributors.

grunk,
we'll just have to agree to disagree on this point...:D:D:D

Christ, the 2006 wasn't any good, either. Let's not forget they started the Big Ten season 0-5, lost to Cal 42-17, lost 48-12 to Wisconsin, lost 44-0 to OSU, narrowly escaped a 1-pt win against NDSU, needed wins over the Big Ten's bottom three teams, along with Tempe, Kent State, and NDSU to get to 6-6. Anyone with any kind of brain had to see the downward trend starting.

Then, take almost all of the experienced players off of that already bad team and add no one of any consequence and you can easily see why your current head coach is still trying to dig out of it.

Top Bottom