'Ralph Sampson AAU coach: "Ralph's staying in the draft...."'

centerofmn

Reaction score
Myron tweet: "Ralph Sampson AAU coach: "Ralph's staying in the draft.... He feels like it's his time."
Woah. Well, more pt for EE and Walker, I guess.

Good luck to him I guess, would have liked to see him come back, but good experience for EE, Mo, and others. Maybe even see some Trevor at center.

This is absolutely crazy. Bad for Ralph and bad for the Gopher program. We went from having two senior 7 footers to none under very strange circumstances.

Like I said on another thread:

"Maybe all of the new guys coming in are better than what we currently have, and the "cream" got the hint?"

doubt it, as much as people hate to admit it, ralph was good, just lacked passion. hopefully elliot and mo are ready to step up. I see Oto and Rodney may have some 4 in their future

doubt it, as much as people hate to admit it, ralph was good, just lacked passion. hopefully elliot and mo are ready to step up. I see Oto and Rodney may have some 4 in their future

Rodney 4, Trevor 5 would help out with the press immensely.

Ingram sounds athletic as well. And some decently athletic guards, the press should be pretty solid.

Terminating A BB Career At Minnesota In Less Than 4 Years

That would be an appropriate title for a thesis on the subject and your evidentiary material for virtually all of the possible alternative methodologies would only have to cite the past few years of actual cases.

That would be an appropriate title for a thesis on the subject and your evidentiary material for virtually all of the possible alternative methodologies would only have to cite the past few years of actual cases.

Now that really makes things clear to me, thank you for helping me understand. ;)

I thought a few weeks ago there was no chance he'd get drafted but a bunch of guys who could have been drafted decided to stay in school so he has a whole lot better chance now. I don't think it's in the first round but stranger things have happened. Somehow Renaldo Balkman was drafted out of South Carolina by the Knicks in the First round and he's still in the league. 3 years with the Gamecocks never averaged 10 points a game or 10 rebounds a game. Here's something from Wikipedia "In the NBA's official draft guide, which was released to all reporters covering the draft, Balkman was not included in the list of the 300 top players eligible to be drafted in the 2006-07 rookie class. However, the Knicks selected Balkman with their first of two draft picks, which was 20th overall." This is your Rodney Williams. Renaldo can't shoot the 3 or free throws but has managed to hang around the league for 5 seasons and made 1.6 million this past year. It's also worth noting in that 2006 draft Rajon Rondo was still on the board who of course played for Tubby and the knicks needed a point guard.

All the UK Fans laughed at Daniel Orton last year too and he went in the first round after averaging 13 mins, 3pts and 3 rebs a game. Ralph will be better served even in the D League than he would at Minnesota and he and his people probably know something all of us don't.

It's almost 8pm... I am still hopeful that he returns to Minnesota as the Big Ten's best returning shot blocker (block %) by a large margin.

By all accounts Ralph represented the team and U well. If it's his time, let's wish him well and that he has success in where his life takes him from here.

Thanks RSIII. :)

This is disappointing. If feels the same as Rickert, he's hurting himself and the program. But it's a free country and if he gets his millions, good for him.

1. Something is really strange with this program right now. I'm not liking it one bit. Next year is a twisted TM ankle away from being DePaul. Tubby's first full class really disappointed and his 2nd class is just Rodney at this point.

2. I lived in Europe for 4 years during my high school years. Loved it but it was an adjustment. I was not a military brat so I was submersed into the culture. Not every American can make it work. I hope Ralph has it in him otherwise basketball might not be his thing.

3. The worst thing ever in this history of the draft was Orlando drafting Daniel Orton last year in the 1st round. Horrible, horrible precedent. F Orlando. I always thought Ndubi Ebi was the poster child why the NBA instituted the age limit rule. Orton will probably be the poster child for the "enter at your own risk out of HS otherwise you're in CB for 3 years" rule. Why Orlando drafted him I'll never know and karma probably dictated why they exited much earlier this year from the NBA playoffs. Now everyone thinks they're Orton. Sampson included.

@RyanJamesMN Ralph Sampson III staying in the draft. It is what it is.

Losing both Colton and Ralph hurts. Colton a good role player that could bang and Ralph was a talented player. NBA player.. doubt it, but a good Big Ten player. As SS said a while back, 6-10 guys who put up 10 to 12 pts and 5 to 6bds a game in the Big Ten don't grow on trees.

Losing both Colton and Ralph hurts. Colton a good role player that could bang and Ralph was a talented player. NBA player.. doubt it, but a good Big Ten player. As SS said a while back, 6-10 guys who put up 10 to 12 pts and 5 to 6bds a game in the Big Ten don't grow on trees.

You obviously did NOT follow the GopherHole Basketball Forum Threads, nor the ChatRoom during games, because according to a large majority of the experts here in the game threads and the chatroom, both of them should have been riding the pine. :banghead: :horse: :banghead:

I quit going to the chat room during games because of all of the undeserved venom that was being spewed. This applied to both the Football Forum and the Basketball Forum.

Good luck to Ralph - odd that he didn't seem to have enough passion to play hard during a 30 game schedule,but now he wants to try it for 82 games plus training camp.

For those of you that didn't see Myron's update, he tweeted:

Now, I'm not sure on Ralph, folks. Trying to confirm what AAU coach said about his draft status. His uncle questioned that report.

No chance.

In my opinion. Even in a draft weak in post players.
Looking through the list of draftable players, I will be shocked if Ralph's even a second rounder. Last year we had experience across the roster and had it evaporate by the time the B1G starterd. After that we had experience and numbers in the frontcourt and inexperience and questions about the guards. Now we head into next year with Trevor being the only big that we can count on (Rodney is a perimeter floater, so I don't even count him as a big), and there aren't many answers to the guard question yet (just more pieces to choose from).
So much for program-building. I guess next year can't be any worse than last year.

In a couple of weeks we've gone from a very experienced front court to an injury away from replicating last years results. More minutes for the Freshman will help in two years, next year is starting to look pretty grim. I still hope Sampson comes back and help ease the transition.

Whatever happens, it won't be Tubby's fault.

Part of me would miss Ralph (and Colt) and then another part of me is pretty happy I won't have to watch the two 2008 underachieving big men any more. Mbakwe, Walker, EE, Ingram should be no worse than what we had in the front court last year.

Wow, this would be a giant mistake for Ralph. I would bet large amounts of money on him not getting drafted at all, even in one of the weakest drafts in years. Seriously, he would have to add like 30+ pounds of muscle to even be considered.

Not trying to rag on him, but if he could not elevate his game in the college level, what makes him think he will be able to do it in the pros...I mean if a potential contract is not enough for him to play and develop passion in his game, the pros are going to stomp him...if he gets the chance...

This is not intended to be inflammatory or insulting, but is he trying to get in the pro's on his fathers rep?

How much has Jeff Green regressed that Ralph Sampson III is being compared to him?

Top Bottom