Rain poncho for Saturday?

It actually looks like it's going to be more of a severe thunderstorm outbreak than a typical fall rainy day. Still too far off to pinpoint with any certainty though but worth keeping an eye on. I wonder how ESPN would handle discussing a 60 degree stormy day in mid October considering their usual Minnesota angle is winter 100% of the time. Dontcha knooooooooow.

The good neighbor Channel 4 is now calling Saturday "Soaking Rain". If this does happen its going to kill attendance.

Looks like I might have to break out my homemade Gopher rain gear!

No excuses, here is what you do: Go to Fleet Farm, pick up the cheap Helly Hanson PVC rain jacket and pants along with some plumbers expoxy, swing through Gold Country and grab a couple of "M" patches. Head home, place HH gear on flat surface, place epoxy on "M" patches, apply where you want them on jacket and pants, place heavy book or weight on top and in 12 hours you got a slick Gopher rainsuit. Low cost (total cost around $60), unique and while the heavy jacket might not breathe, it is definitely waterproof. Some might say you look like a drunk Gorton's Fisherman, I say I just transformed into a drunken Gopher SuperFan! :D

With the heavy rain seemingly a guarantee, how do you guys think it could affect this game?

@Dave_Dahl: Still looking for the most #rain in over 2 months on Saturday in the #TwinCities. #Tommies & #Gophers #homecoming games probably wet fields!

Go Gophers!!

I'm cool with sitting in the rain. Watching U2 at the Bank was a blast, stadium workers were handing out those giant black plastic trash liners so people could try and stay dry. My only concern is that the one aspect of mother nature that actually delays or postpones football game might be in play here.

I'm cool with sitting in the rain. Watching U2 at the Bank was a blast, stadium workers were handing out those giant black plastic trash liners so people could try and stay dry. My only concern is that the one aspect of mother nature that actually delays or postpones football game might be in play here.

Rain in and of itself will NOT have an effect. Lightening???? Absolutely.

Rain in and of itself will NOT have an effect. Lightening???? Absolutely.

To this day, I'm still surprised that no one from the University pulled the plug the U2 concert due to the thunderstorm.

(or more likely, turned the house lights on and announced over the house PA that the show was on lightning delay)

The rain made the concert better imo. Years from now people will still remember it for the rain.

It's football! No one should give 2 ***** about the rain. I wish this thread would die. Get amped up! Who cares about anyone else. Go to the game and do everything you can to cheer on your Gophers!!!

It's football! No one should give 2 ***** about the rain. I wish this thread would die. Get amped up! Who cares about anyone else. Go to the game and do everything you can to cheer on your Gophers!!!
Some are coming with smaller children who care about sitting in cold temps with rain falling.

I don't see what's so bad about a thread that talks about something that could affect the game. It's no different if there were 50 mph winds scheduled for Saturday.

I don't see what's so bad about a thread that talks about something that could affect the game. It's no different if there were 50 mph winds scheduled for Saturday.
IMO, if you've got a gimpy QB that's trying to work his way back into the lineup, a potentially wet field is very relevant.

The NCAA has specific rules regarding lightning. If there are lightening strikes detected within 30 miles of the stadium play will be suspended until the lightening clears the area. I don't remember what the criteria is for continuing play. This happened one time this year in Tallahassee, where I live, during a Florida State football game and has happened frequently during FSU baseball games in the spring. If a lightening delay does occur you can plan on at least a 1-2 hour delay.

57 and wet can be rather cold.

57 and dry is very nice.

I beg to differ. It is most likely going to feel warmer than any day this week and it will be humid on Saturday morning. It will not feel cold.

Which brings up the question...Does a damp and humid 57 in October feel colder than a dry and sunny 57 in June? :)

Top Bottom