Quinn Carroll in the transfer portal

This is interesting. I was just looking into Carroll as a potential portal entrant right before ND's bowl game, and here he is. I found this quote the day Quinn signed with ND:

Jay Carroll elaborated on Twitter. “We have tremendous respect for (Gophers head coach P.J. Fleck, receivers coach Matt Simon and offensive line coach Brian Callahan),” he wrote in a tweet. “And we commend them on their relentless and first class pursuit of (Quinn). Nobody was more persistent, creative or kind than these guys and we believe that @GopherFootball is in great hands.”

Carroll hasn't played as much as anyone probably anticipated when he signed (a knee injury his freshman year didn't help), and with Brian Kelly gone it shouldn't be a surprise, but it would be great to get him back home.

Last edited:

I think on paper Quinn looks like a slam dunk to offer. Do you guys think there's a chance we land him?

Do we run the risk of current Gophers Right Tackles entering the portal if they bring in Quinn Carroll? I sure hate to see the Gophers losing linemen that they have developed internally.

Hard pass on Quinn. I don't mind people leaving MN for out-state schools (e.g., I get why you'd pick Stanford or Duke or even Zag), but not the way Quinnby did it where he made himself out to be the greatest 'cruit since Hershel and then dumped us on TV. I don't like the deal of, "Hey, I'll go somewhere else and if it doesn't work out I can always come back to MN". Let 'em go to St. Thomas if they want him, but I'm hoping he doesn't come to the Gophers.

Wisconsin OL coach Joe Rudolph just resigned to coach at Virginia Tech. Not sure if that would hurt recruitment not having his position coach in place.
Did Carson Hinzman announce his school choice? The Crystal Ball points to Wisconsin.

It is time to aggressively recruit him again to the Gophers. It will be a major coup.

This is hands down a bigger deal than getting Quinn Carroll for one year.

He was hurt, didn’t play.

Really hard to know what to think at this point.

Did Carson Hinzman announce his school choice? The Crystal Ball points to Wisconsin.

It is time to aggressively recruit him again to the Gophers. It will be a major coup.

Quinn Carroll would be for 3 years.

He was injured for a year and then had a free COVID year. He has only played 1 year of college ball.

Do we run the risk of current Gophers Right Tackles entering the portal if they bring in Quinn Carroll? I sure hate to see the Gophers losing linemen that they have developed internally.
wouldn't think so. take him as it's nice to have another upperclassman in there and he's around for a couple years if we want him for more class balance.

He was injured for a year and then had a free COVID year. He has only played 1 year of college ball.
Why did the Twitter comment say he is a grad transfer?

Hard pass on Quinn. I don't mind people leaving MN for out-state schools (e.g., I get why you'd pick Stanford or Duke or even Zag), but not the way Quinnby did it where he made himself out to be the greatest 'cruit since Hershel and then dumped us on TV. I don't like the deal of, "Hey, I'll go somewhere else and if it doesn't work out I can always come back to MN". Let 'em go to St. Thomas if they want him, but I'm hoping he doesn't come to the Gophers.
I hear ya.

But at the same time, I'd like to think the kids can get caught up in what people are telling them, that they're going to be the best OL coming out of Minnesota in the history of the state, etc. (I have no idea if people were telling him that, just a hypothetical of how a high school player could start listening to the "noise" and so on)

I would give him a second chance, if he really does want to come to Mpls.

He could have graduated in 3+ years, but that doesn't mean he used 3 years of eligibility. The Gophers have had multiple guys who played more than one year after graduating with their bachelor's.

Edit: I'm not sure if he has 2 or 3 years left, but he definitely should have more than 1 left - factoring in the injury year and the COVID year.

Hard to imagine anyone thinking “injury guy who hasn’t played “ is an exceptional threat.

If they do I’m guessing they have one foot out the door anyway.

The ND roster for him (https://und.com/roster/quinn-carroll/) doesn't make it sound like they applied for a medical hardship waiver after the 2019 fall camp injury, and just were treating it like a normal redshirt year.

But if they did apply for a medical waiver, then I think technically he could play for four more seasons? IE, a seven year guy like Dew-Treadway

The ND roster for him (https://und.com/roster/quinn-carroll/) doesn't make it sound like they applied for a medical hardship waiver after the 2019 fall camp injury, and just were treating it like a normal redshirt year.

But if they did apply for a medical waiver, then I think technically he could play for four more seasons? IE, a seven year guy like Dew-Treadway

I think the Gophers (or another team) can still apply for the hardship waiver even if the previous school didn't. Someone correct me if I'm wrong though.

He could have graduated in 3+ years, but that doesn't mean he used 3 years of eligibility. The Gophers have had multiple guys who played more than one year after graduating with their bachelor's.

Edit: I'm not sure if he has 2 or 3 years left, but he definitely should have more than 1 left - factoring in the injury year and the COVID year.
At a minimum, I think most P5 recruits enroll at the school for summer semester before fall camp. Some enroll for the spring semester before that. So yeah, even with minimal course loads for the fall, you can see how these guys taking class every summer can get to 120 (or whatever the number is for a Bachelor's) credits pretty quickly.

Because he graduated in three years? Like St. Juste. If he gets a medical year plus a COVID year, then he ends up with a total of six years of eligibility … like MDT. He might have been a tackle at ND, but with our offense we’ve had some taller guys inside. Blaise is 6’6”. Maybe he adds position flexibility? I’d be OK with an offer despite the TV showboating when he picked ND.

Because he graduated in three years? Like St. Juste. If he gets a medical year plus a COVID year, then he ends up with a total of six years of eligibility … like MDT. He might have been a tackle at ND, but with our offense we’ve had some taller guys inside. Blaise is 6’6”. Maybe he adds position flexibility? I’d be OK with an offer despite the TV showboating when he picked ND.
Oh, they will get over that quickly.

Maybe not so much Bryce Benhart.

Hadn’t checked in on him in a while. I had heard Hinzman is likely Notre dame now because he loved Notre dame but hated Brian Kelly

I might be thinking of a different in state wisconsin linemen

Top Bottom