Purdue injury update

Tom Dienhart, who covers Purdue now, told Mike Grimm on his podcast that he is guessing that AOC will play this week.

Yeah and the guy who posited that theory took Purdon’t to win because “Brohm wants the win bad”.

I wasn’t aware that coaches desiring a win factored into things, but…ok

Great podcast, silly take. It’s all just entertainment though so let’s make some noise tomorrow. Gophs by 20. Leave no doubt.
Damn, we need to find one of these coaches that wants to win.

Lots of people citing Tua or long term injuries regarding O’Connell playing…Every single player it at risk of a catastrophic injury. Him playing with a reported rib injury does not change that.

Lots of people citing Tua or long term injuries regarding O’Connell playing…Every single player it at risk of a catastrophic injury. Him playing with a reported rib injury does not change that.
You don't know that. There are injuries that put someone at greater risk of additional injury, and those that do not. Concussion and unstable ligaments are examples of injuries where the outcome is even worse if there is an additional injury. Deep muscle bruise or rib contusion might just hurt bad, but not necessarily put someone at additional risk. If he has a rib fracture or unstable rib (previously dislocated) that would increase risk. In Tua's case there was evidence of concussion based on the video, so people were questioning his return for his own safety.

You don't know that. There are injuries that put someone at greater risk of additional injury, and those that do not. Concussion and unstable ligaments are examples of injuries where the outcome is even worse if there is an additional injury. Deep muscle bruise or rib contusion might just hurt bad, but not necessarily put someone at additional risk. If he has a rib fracture or unstable rib (previously dislocated) that would increase risk. In Tua's case there was evidence of concussion based on the video, so people were questioning his return for his own safety.
But we also don’t know if O’Connell has a fracture. To say he should sit without knowing the nature of the injury because Tua got hurt is insane.

If your ribs hurt, throwing hurts. And qb scrambles become rare...

We technically don't have any confirmation that AOC has a rib injury, although it has been speculated by media and fans. Brohm hasn't confirmed it, but he's not expected to confirm it. Much like Fleck, he won't say much unless it is season ending injury.

at all levels of football, injuries are a part of the game. One could argue that injuries are one of the most important factors in deciding the outcome of a game.

to Quote Sid Hartman, "Bud Grant always said that durability is just as important as ability."

I'm not going to feel "sorry" for Purdue. If the Gophers had multiple starters out due to injury, Purdue would not be feeling sorry for MN. I guarantee that Purdue is not sorry that CrAB is out with an injury.

Some injuries are just unavoidable - because players are playing a violent game that features repeated collisions between large, fast human beings.

But, some teams are better or more skilled than others when it comes to injury diagnosis and treatment, as well as strength and conditioning programs and injury prevention/mitigation.

If your ribs hurt, throwing hurts. And qb scrambles become rare...
Well one thing O'Connell doesn't do is scramble anyway so that isn't an issue. If he does play I bet Rossi will dial up an early blitz to try and hit him and test out just how healthy he really is.

I have been told with being in college, HIPAA is a big deal when discussing injuries. So, taking the safe route, they don't discuss injuries specifically (have seen 'lower body' injury or similar). Personally, I don't see AOC playing either. There is a higher awareness and concern around injuries.
Purdue fans say it is a rib injury. That might mean cracked ribs which would make throwing a football unbearably painful.

Bud: “The best ability is availability.”

Jim Marshall, Carl Eller and Alan Page played virtually every game, and at a very high level of effectiveness.

That is astounding. The fact that Marshall isn't in the Hall of Fame is simply a travesty.

That being said, I'm glad that we've learned to protect players a little better. Hopefully we'll continue to progress in that area.

Top Bottom