Purdue injury update

Hard to compare because Burton only has 1 game and AOC has 3 (and they were obviously against different teams) but Burton actually has a higher QB rating than AOC right now.
Just saying AOC is maybe not as good as people thought and Burton may be better than people are assuming.
I mean I guess that theory might work if you want to ignore the entire 2021 season where O'Connell was easily one of the top QBs in the Big Ten.

I watched a lot of their game against FAU and given the choice between facing Burton or O'Connell I would take Burton in a heartbeat and it isn't even close. He is more mobile than O'Connell but their offense didn't look anywhere close to as good as it typically does with AOC under center.

I am not afraid to admit that I hope AOC does not play. He is good. I have been a Gopher fan long enough that I am hoping for any advantage our team can have on Saturday. I never (well, rarely) wish for injuries to any player. BUT... I certainly am not going to wish for AOC, or any other starter they have, to play. I want the Gophers to win. Anything that gives the Gophs an advantage in doing that... I am hoping for it.

I mean I guess that theory might work if you want to ignore the entire 2021 season where O'Connell was easily one of the top QBs in the Big Ten.

I watched a lot of their game against FAU and given the choice between facing Burton or O'Connell I would take Burton in a heartbeat and it isn't even close. He is more mobile than O'Connell but their offense didn't look anywhere close to as good as it typically does with AOC under center.
Interesting stat on AOC - completion % by quarter this season:
1st: 79.4
2nd: 68.6
3rd: 59.1
4th: 51.2

Morgan's for comparison:
1st: 81.5
2nd: 64.7
3rd: 94.1
4th: 100 (1 pass attempted)

Please tell me you are kidding and that they didn't actually put that idea forward. If so that is just a terrible take on their part. There is zero chance that Brohm sat O'Connell in order to try and make our game prep harder.....zero.

I will also be shocked if O'Connell plays tomorrow because it sure doesn't seem like he has practiced much if at all this week. He is a veteran player but that prep working against the scout team in practice is very valuable. Will be interesting to see if he is dressed during pregame tomorrow.
It was pretty bad, but to be fair, they acknowledge both before and after saying it that it's a crazy fan conspiracy theory (the guy who said it is a Purdue fan).

Their running game was much better than usual without him last weekend albeit against weaker competition. Purdue has shown us some very capable backups in the past.

Our 2019 victory over them was maligned by many opposing fans because starting QB Sindelar and star all purpose back Rondale Moore were knocked out early in the game. However, backup QB Jake Plummer threw for 245 yards and then freshman David Bell caught 8 passes for 114 yards. Those players performed every bit as well as their better known players (at the time) would have. Of course, David Bell became one of the league's biggest stars.

Purdue lost that game because Tanner was 21 of 22 for 396 yards, an incredible 18 yards per attempt.
they also lost because the DB grabbed TJ's jersey on a key 3rd down in the fourth quarter -- he likely drops that ball if there wasn't a PI and Purdue goes on to win

Interesting stat on AOC - completion % by quarter this season:
1st: 79.4
2nd: 68.6
3rd: 59.1
4th: 51.2
Tells you almost as much about Brohm -- his refusal to run late in the game puts a lot on O'Connell's shoulders

I am not afraid to admit that I hope AOC does not play. He is good. I have been a Gopher fan long enough that I am hoping for any advantage our team can have on Saturday. I never (well, rarely) wish for injuries to any player. BUT... I certainly am not going to wish for AOC, or any other starter they have, to play. I want the Gophers to win. Anything that gives the Gophs an advantage in doing that... I am hoping for it.
I never wish for any player, especially opponents, to get hurt during the game. But if the opponents best player may be held out with an injury, I'm all for giving him an extra weeks rest.

After seeing Tua last night, I think it's best for AOC to rest a week. Need to play things safe with injuries.

I think Brohm will leave AOC out.
Looks better if he loses with a backup QB in there.

very excited to see what the Gophers can do with the Boilers regardless of who is playing for Purdue.

The only givens include:

1. If the Gophers lose, it will prove they are a mediocre team.
2. If the Gophers win, it will prove they had simply been riding an easy schedule
The solution is don’t let off the gas pedal and keep on winning! This undoubtedly will answer everyone’s questions. 🐐 Go Gophers!

94 total from my count.
For some reason it felt like more in my mind. Thanks for digging up.
EDIT: Looking back it was really just 2020 that he had a big game against us. 10 carries for 68 yards, 5 catches for 50.

Seems as if College Football doesn't have a stance on releasing an Official Injury report. Anybody aware of one? Does the Big Ten?

Seems as if College Football doesn't have a stance on releasing an Official Injury report. Anybody aware of one? Does the Big Ten?
They can't require one. Data privacy and no player contract I assume are the reasons.

I have been told with being in college, HIPAA is a big deal when discussing injuries. So, taking the safe route, they don't discuss injuries specifically (have seen 'lower body' injury or similar). Personally, I don't see AOC playing either. There is a higher awareness and concern around injuries.

I have been told with being in college, HIPAA is a big deal when discussing injuries. So, taking the safe route, they don't discuss injuries specifically (have seen 'lower body' injury or similar). Personally, I don't see AOC playing either. There is a higher awareness and concern around injuries.
I'm not an expert, but I'm pretty sure HIPAA only prevents health care providers and companies from disclosing a patient's health related information. I don't think it would come in to play if a coach released information. When coaches choose not to disclose it's more out of respect for the players privacy and not so much legally required.

Hard to compare because Burton only has 1 game and AOC has 3 (and they were obviously against different teams) but Burton actually has a higher QB rating than AOC right now.
Just saying AOC is maybe not as good as people thought and Burton may be better than people are assuming.
That could be, I just am in the camp that AOC is actually really good. We are the better team regardless of if he plays or not, I just think it would be a massive loss if he is out for Purdue.

After seeing Tua last night, I think it's best for AOC to rest a week. Need to play things safe with injuries.

I think Brohm will leave AOC out.
Looks better if he loses with a backup QB in there.

I was thinking the same thing - that he may decide to go with the backup for this game because their chances of winning this game even with O'Connell are lower than other games remaining on their schedule and they'd rather have a fully healthy O'Connell for those. In his press conference after the last game, Brohm called us one of the hottest teams in the league and he knows that we've had great success against them lately.

Purdue has Nebraska, Indiana, Northwestern, and Illinois on their schedule. They also have Iowa at home and they've beaten Iowa in four of the last five games against them. They don't need to beat us to be bowl eligible.

That could be, I just am in the camp that AOC is actually really good. We are the better team regardless of if he plays or not, I just think it would be a massive loss if he is out for Purdue.
I feel very confident saying that Brohm was not happy they ran for more yards than they passed for in their near loss at home against FAU. That is not his offense, he wants to air it out....a lot.

Trey Potts' case is a shining example. You protect the players' safety and their privacy unless you have consent from them and their families.

Mark Coyle, then Heather, and PJ Fleck personally flying to Indiana to visit with Trey and his family was first class.

I would expect Jeff Brohm not to risk AOC's long-term health for the sake of a victory while they have a relatively easy schedule after playing the Gophers.

They're still a Big Ten team and have Payne Durham. They're dangerous. Maybe not as dangerous as they could be, but they can't be written off as a sure W.

They're still a Big Ten team and have Payne Durham. They're dangerous. Maybe not as dangerous as they could be, but they can't be written off as a sure W.

Of course they can't be regarded as a sure W. Although we've won four straight, they've all been one-score games.

I really don't understand why people constantly think others need to be reminded of this. Anyone who is a fan of football understands that on any given Saturday/Sunday the underdog can win the game.

The reality is that we should win the game tomorrow. Doesn't mean that we will but when the game is over we should be 5-0 if we play the way we are capable of playing.

I really don't understand why people constantly think others need to be reminded of this. Anyone who is a fan of football understands that on any given Saturday/Sunday the underdog can win the game.

The reality is that we should win the game tomorrow. Doesn't mean that we will but when the game is over we should be 5-0 if we play the way we are capable of playing.
More of a reminder about Durham. He's an animal and he isn't getting much chatter.

I heard that theory yesterday on the eyes on b1g podcast and laughed out loud. IF that theory were true and Brohm thinks that will throw a wrench in the Gophers preparation, then he is a bad coach. Rossi will have the D prepared for any QB they put on the field, and that goes for any team the Gophers will play this season.
Yeah and the guy who posited that theory took Purdon’t to win because “Brohm wants the win bad”.

I wasn’t aware that coaches desiring a win factored into things, but…ok

Great podcast, silly take. It’s all just entertainment though so let’s make some noise tomorrow. Gophs by 20. Leave no doubt.

Top Bottom