Purdue injury update

UpAndUnder43

Reaction score
Purdue coach Jeff Brohm didn't tip his hand when asked following Thursday's practice if his sixth-year signal-caller would play on Saturday when Purdue (2-2 overall; 0-1 Big Ten) kicks off at Minnesota (4-0; 1-0) at noon ET.

"I think Aidan and (cornerback) Reese Taylor will be some game-time decisions," said Brohm. "We'll just see where they're at then. And then the others will be out."

O'Connell and Taylor both missed last week's game.

The "others who will be out" for Saturday, according to Brohm, will be S/LB Jalen Graham, WR Broc Thompson, RB King Doerue, OT Cam Craig and WRs Elijah Canion and Abdur-Rahmaan Yaseen. In fact, Brohm said Purdue could be without Thompson and Craig for an "extended period of time."

very excited to see what the Gophers can do with the Boilers regardless of who is playing for Purdue.

The only givens include:

1. If the Gophers lose, it will prove they are a mediocre team.
2. If the Gophers win, it will prove they had simply been riding an easy schedule

very excited to see what the Gophers can do with the Boilers regardless of who is playing for Purdue.

The only givens include:

2. If the Gophers win, it will prove they had simply been riding an easy schedule
This is definitely a take.

Brohm's statement certainly gives the impression that AOC has not practiced much, if at all, this week (or the past 2 weeks for that matter).

Brohm's statement certainly gives the impression that AOC has not practiced much, if at all, this week (or the past 2 weeks for that matter).
The theory put out on the eyes on b1g podcast was that brohm sat O'Connell last week and played the backup such that Rossi needs to game plan for two unique quarterbacks.

The only givens include:

I hope with a win that’s the case. More bulletin board material to stay motivated. Just wait if we win. It’s followed up with a bye week. We’ll drop like a rock for not winning that week for sure.

The only givens include:

Exactly!

Also: did you know that P.J. Fleck uses slogans? Well, he does. Not many people are aware of this fact.

Purdue coach Jeff Brohm didn't tip his hand when asked following Thursday's practice if his sixth-year signal-caller would play on Saturday when Purdue (2-2 overall; 0-1 Big Ten) kicks off at Minnesota (4-0; 1-0) at noon ET.

"I think Aidan and (cornerback) Reese Taylor will be some game-time decisions," said Brohm. "We'll just see where they're at then. And then the others will be out."

O'Connell and Taylor both missed last week's game.

Wait... whaaaaaaaat?

I was under the impression that only Tanner Morgan was a sixth-year player.

You mean to say... there are others?! Even some on... other teams?!?!

WOW! My mind is officially blown to learn this.

Last edited:

The theory put out on the eyes on b1g podcast was that brohm sat O'Connell last week and played the backup such that Rossi needs to game plan for two unique quarterbacks.
Might be concerned if Rossi was having to plan for three QBs...

And if Doerue is out, there will be no running game to account for.

AOC has come back to the pack this year. If I remember bright, his completion percentage is down 6-7%. The backup may not be much worse.

The backup QB did reasonably well last week. He has some experience and he's not young (class of 2017). He didn't pass for particularly big gains though.

And if Doerue is out, there will be no running game to account for.

Purdue had an uncharacteristic 188 yards rushing last weekend. Of course, that wasn't against a Big Ten team. The top guy, Dylan Downing, had 15 carries for 113 yards.

Safety Graham an NFL talent.

Reece starting corner.

Thompson one of top WRs.

Craig starting RT.

Doerue out, I think remaining RBs are walk-ons.

Please tell me you are kidding and that they didn't actually put that idea forward. If so that is just a terrible take on their part. There is zero chance that Brohm sat O'Connell in order to try and make our game prep harder.....zero.

I will also be shocked if O'Connell plays tomorrow because it sure doesn't seem like he has practiced much if at all this week. He is a veteran player but that prep working against the scout team in practice is very valuable. Will be interesting to see if he is dressed during pregame tomorrow.

Purdue had an uncharacteristic 188 yards rushing last weekend. Of course, that wasn't against a Big Ten team. The top guy, Dylan Downing, had 15 carries for 113 yards.
UCF put up over 600 yards of offense and over 300 yards rushing against the FAU defense.....going to guess that the FAU defense might have had something to do with Purdue's success on the ground last week..... :)

AOC has come back to the pack this year. If I remember bright, his completion percentage is down 6-7%. The backup may not be much worse.
AOC is way better than their backup. He has only played in three games this year and struggled a bit against PSU (who have a really good secondary), but even that "struggle" he threw for 365 a TD and no INT.

He is out according to Brohm. Their running game didn't have much with him but he is clearly their best back so him being out definitely hurts them.

Their running game was much better than usual without him last weekend albeit against weaker competition. Purdue has shown us some very capable backups in the past.

Our 2019 victory over them was maligned by many opposing fans because starting QB Sindelar and star all purpose back Rondale Moore were knocked out early in the game. However, backup QB Jake Plummer threw for 245 yards and then freshman David Bell caught 8 passes for 114 yards. Those players performed every bit as well as their better known players (at the time) would have. Of course, David Bell became one of the league's biggest stars.

Purdue lost that game because Tanner was 21 of 22 for 396 yards, an incredible 18 yards per attempt.

Their running game was much better than usual without him last weekend albeit against weaker competition. Purdue has shown us some very capable backups in the past.

Our 2019 victory over them was maligned by many opposing fans because starting QB Sindelar and star all purpose back Rondale Moore were knocked out early in the game. However, backup QB Jake Plummer threw for 245 yards and then freshman David Bell caught 8 passes for 114 yards. Those players performed every bit as well as their better known players (at the time) would have. Of course, David Bell became one of the league's biggest stars.

Purdue lost that game because Tanner was 21 of 22 for 396 yards, an incredible 18 yards per attempt.
They are a Big Ten team, they are going to have quality backup options. Doesn't change the fact that we are in great shape heading into this game on most fronts. They are banged up at key spots, the game is at home and we are playing at a really high level in all phases.

Bottom line is that we will have to play poorly to lose this game. It absolutely can happen but if we play anything like we have played through 4 weeks this will be a W tomorrow.

Did that big white RB of theirs graduate? Guy always seemed to give us fits. Would be a big help if Doerue is out as well.

They are a Big Ten team, they are going to have quality backup options. Doesn't change the fact that we are in great shape heading into this game on most fronts. They are banged up at key spots, the game is at home and we are playing at a really high level in all phases.

Bottom line is that we will have to play poorly to lose this game. It absolutely can happen but if we play anything like we have played through 4 weeks this will be a W tomorrow.

You don't need to convince me that we will win the game but I don't think our chances would be lower if their starting RB was playing. I do believe that facing a backup QB (if that happens) instead of O'Connell helps but I suspect that the backup will be competent enough.

Please tell me you are kidding and that they didn't actually put that idea forward. If so that is just a terrible take on their part. There is zero chance that Brohm sat O'Connell in order to try and make our game prep harder.....zero.

I will also be shocked if O'Connell plays tomorrow because it sure doesn't seem like he has practiced much if at all this week. He is a veteran player but that prep working against the scout team in practice is very valuable. Will be interesting to see if he is dressed during pregame tomorrow.
I heard that theory yesterday on the eyes on b1g podcast and laughed out loud. IF that theory were true and Brohm thinks that will throw a wrench in the Gophers preparation, then he is a bad coach. Rossi will have the D prepared for any QB they put on the field, and that goes for any team the Gophers will play this season.

AOC is way better than their backup. He has only played in three games this year and struggled a bit against PSU (who have a really good secondary), but even that "struggle" he threw for 365 a TD and no INT.
Hard to compare because Burton only has 1 game and AOC has 3 (and they were obviously against different teams) but Burton actually has a higher QB rating than AOC right now.
Just saying AOC is maybe not as good as people thought and Burton may be better than people are assuming.

Hard to compare because Burton only has 1 game and AOC has 3 (and they were obviously against different teams) but Burton actually has a higher QB rating than AOC right now.
Just saying AOC is maybe not as good as people thought and Burton may be better than people are assuming.
From what I understand, Purdue ran a different looking offense with Burton in last week. They also mixed in an additional QB. More of a run game, shorter passes.

From what I understand, Purdue ran a different looking offense with Burton in last week. They also mixed in an additional QB. More of a run game, shorter passes.
Burton does add more of a run threat though. I'm just not sold that AOC is as good as advertised and also think Burton presents his own challenges to a defense.

In the end I'm not really worried about either with how our defense has been playing.

Top Bottom