Pro-Leach Email Campaign!

#1- He doesn't look like a program builder. He took over a TT program that was already a good, establish program. Sure, he did expand on the success and brought them up to a BCS contender FOR ONE YEAR.

#2- His success as a coach is only slightly better than Glen Mason's at MN.

#3- I think he may have character issues, which is exactly what we don't need right now.

I think there are coaches who are as good or better on the market that have a history of building a program and don't have potential character issues.

Sumlin comes to mind, but there are others.

Try to use facts when building an argument against Mike Leach. Do me a favor and take an actual hard look at what he has done at Texas Tech.

Has leach turned down any o-coordinator opportunities?

Okay. I'm not against Mike Leach, but someone is going to have to convince me how he's going to turn the program around. And why there should be an entire campaign around bringing him here.

One thread started with us needing him to come here and bring back 10-11 win seasons. But,from what I've read, he's only had one 10+ win season in his entire head coaching career.

If that's his track record in Texas, how's he going to improve on that here, and win more games than he did there?

Again, I'm not against Mike Leach at all. Maybe I just need to be sold on him as someone that can come in and turn the program around, compared to other coaches that may be available?

Try looking at his record at Texas Tech. It takes less than one minute to look this up. He made bowl games every year, only had one year with a record below .500 in Big 12 play. Had three 9 win seasons, four 8 win seasons and one 11 win season. 5 bowl wins and 8 consecutive season with at least 8 wins.

Leach at Texas Tech

* 10 consecutive winning seasons
* 8 consecutive seasons with at least 8 wins
* 4 seasons with at least 9 wins[61]
* 1 season with 11 wins
* 9 consecutive bowl appearances[62]
* 5 bowl wins (most by any individual coach in the history of the program)[62]
* 4 seasons completed with team ranked in the Top 25[63]
* 19–11 record against in-state conference rivals Baylor, Texas, and Texas A&M
* 53–11 record at Jones AT&T Stadium, home of the Texas Tech Red Raider football team
* 2008 AP Big 12 Coach of the Year[31]
* 2008 Big 12 Coach of the Year[32]
* Coached 1 Fred Biletnikoff Award (Best Wide Receiver) winner: Michael Crabtree (two-time winner)
* Coached 1 Johnny Unitas Golden Arm Award (Best Senior Quarterback) winner: Graham Harrell
* Coached 1 Mosi Tatupu Award (Best Kick Returner) winner: Wes Welker
* Coached 3 Sammy Baugh Trophy (Outstanding Quarterback) winners: Kliff Kingsbury, B.J. Symons, and Graham Harrell
* More than 150 NCAA, Big 12 and school records broken as Texas Tech's head coach[8]

I'm not saying he wouldn't be 100% better than Brewster or Mason, just that he's not nearly as good you guys seem to think.

He had one season where TT could be considered a BCS type team.

Sure, he had 3, 9 win seasons and an 11 win season but I believe Mason had 2, 10 win seasons (one with Kansas) and 3, 8 win seasons.

I see little difference except that 11-2 season Leach had.

I'm not saying he wouldn't be 100% better than Brewster or Mason, just that he's not nearly as good you guys seem to think.

Sure, he had 3, 9 win seasons and an 11 win season but I believe Mason had 2, 10 win seasons (one with Kansas) and 3, 8 win seasons.

If we exclude the 11-2 season, his conference record is 40-32(55%), still a significant improvement over Mase's 40%.

How many 'BCS type teams' has your candidate of choice had?

Leach at Texas Tech

* 10 consecutive winning seasons
* 8 consecutive seasons with at least 8 wins
* 4 seasons with at least 9 wins[61]
* 1 season with 11 wins
* 9 consecutive bowl appearances[62]
* 5 bowl wins (most by any individual coach in the history of the program)[62]
* 4 seasons completed with team ranked in the Top 25[63]
* 19–11 record against in-state conference rivals Baylor, Texas, and Texas A&M
* 53–11 record at Jones AT&T Stadium, home of the Texas Tech Red Raider football team
* 2008 AP Big 12 Coach of the Year[31]
* 2008 Big 12 Coach of the Year[32]
* Coached 1 Fred Biletnikoff Award (Best Wide Receiver) winner: Michael Crabtree (two-time winner)
* Coached 1 Johnny Unitas Golden Arm Award (Best Senior Quarterback) winner: Graham Harrell
* Coached 1 Mosi Tatupu Award (Best Kick Returner) winner: Wes Welker
* Coached 3 Sammy Baugh Trophy (Outstanding Quarterback) winners: Kliff Kingsbury, B.J. Symons, and Graham Harrell
* More than 150 NCAA, Big 12 and school records broken as Texas Tech's head coach[8]

And some people say he's not the best candidate... Wow.

First of all that is an big exception. Try comparing the Conference records of the two and Bowl games and bowl wins. Leach never had a overall record below .500 while Mase had 4 with Minnesota.

Texas Tech before Mike Leach:

1996 Texas Tech 7–5 5–3 L Alamo
1997 Texas Tech 6–5 5–3
1998 Texas Tech 7–5 4–4 L Independence
1999 Texas Tech 6–5 5–3
Texas Tech: 28–20 19–13

Middle of the road not good.

I LOVE hearing people talk about how TT was only ranked #2 in the country for one season, so obviously Leach is just a flukey bad coach. Or, he could never get to the CCG so he's totally just a gimmick... not noting that he was playing against Texas and Oklahoma when they were taking turns competing for the National Title Game.

Fans of a team that has been in the wilderness for decades scoffing at finishing in the top ten and beating blue blood national title contenders regularly. Hilarious. :clap:

First of all that is an big exception. Try comparing the Conference records of the two and Bowl games and bowl wins. Leach never had a overall record below .500 while Mase had 4 with Minnesota.

As I said, it's not that I think Mason was a better coach than Leach is, just that Leach isn't nearly as good as all of you make him out to be.

He's clearly better than Mason but it's not light and day like you guys make it out to be.

I would support Leach as HC,if hired, I just think there may be better choices.

It's not like I'd be PO'd if they hired Leach because he is a good coach but not who I want.

I LOVE hearing people talk about how TT was only ranked #2 in the country for one season, so obviously Leach is just a flukey bad coach. Or, he could never get to the CCG so he's totally just a gimmick... not noting that he was playing against Texas and Oklahoma when they were taking turns competing for the National Title Game.

Fans of a team that has been in the wilderness for decades scoffing at finishing in the top ten and beating blue blood national title contenders regularly. Hilarious. :clap:

Thank you! We can't even sniff the upper half of the Big Ten and people hold their noses at what Leach did. Sumlin? Might be a great coach but his resume is crap compared to Leach.

Can you name another candidate who coached a team in a BCS bowl? You act like the fact he only coached in one BCS Bowl game is a flaw when Belotti is the only other candidate to coach in one. Belotti better be your only choice or your argument holds no water.

As I said, it's not that I think Mason was a better coach than Leach is, just that Leach isn't nearly as good as all of you make him out to be.

He's clearly better than Mason but it's not light and day like you guys make it out to be.

I would support Leach as HC,if hired, I just think there may be better choices.

It's not like I'd be PO'd if they hired Leach because he is a good coach but not who I want.

Name the better choices. I can think of a only a few but they are long shots.

Why did u quote me when u said that? Haha. Did u not notice my disclaimer thanking him for all he does? If u look at my post history I wouldn't say I am negative toward Maturi. I have said he needs to wear the fact that he got dooped by a guy who had no business being a Big Ten head coach. That's not negative it's the truth

Didn't necessarily direct that at you. You posted your email, it was that last post in the thread... I guess it was laziness, didn't care enough to go back and find a more relevant post.

I will say that I think "dooped" is a stretch. Duped would indicate that Brewster himself didn't think he could get the job done when I don't think anybody doubted his effort and sincerity.

As far as hiring Brewster, that's a move that would not be unexpected from a person that is smart and arrogant (although I'm not necessarily saying Maturi is either of those). Look at it from his perspective; He was about to hire Tubby Smith. He took a flyer on Brewster, may have figured he had a "mulligan". He rolls the dice, if it works out, he looks like a genius.

One more thing with Brewster's hiring for Maturi; What is the tendency for somebody when they break up with somebody? Don't they almost always go with somebody on the "rebound" who is the polar opposite of the person they just broke up with? Mason was a pathetic recruiter, so that was likely #1, #2, and #3 on Maturi's list for the new coach; recruiting.

Hey, he took a flyer and came up snake eyes. It happens...

Can you name another candidate who coached a team in a BCS bowl? You act like the fact he only coached in one BCS Bowl game is a flaw when Belotti is the only other candidate to coach in one. Belotti better be your only choice or your argument holds no water.

I wasn't saying it as a knock, just as a response to you guys making him sound like some sort of superstar coach or something.

The Real Issue

I am new to the forum, but a long time Gopher fan and a long time university administrator down here in SEC country. Those of you debating the pros and cons of Leach's coaching record may be overlooking the most important part of his history - namely that he sued his president. I cannot imagine a president at a major university wanting to hire someone who was such a loose cannon that he sued the president. It is doubly tough to imagine where, as here, you have a situation where the current president is going to be turning the reins over to someone new. In addition, every video tape interview I have seen of the man indicates that he is a total flake and goes out of his way to cultivate that image. University presidents have enough trouble with flaky faculty, they are not going to add a high profile flake in a town where all of the sports reporters would pounce on this fact in a heartbeat. I think you would do well to move on to the next candidate no matter what a good record Mr. Leach may have.

It's not a mystery why he sued the president. Everyone knows the Craig James debacle and how it was used as a reason for firing Leach when the administration didn't want to pay him.

I am new to the forum, but a long time Gopher fan and a long time university administrator down here in SEC country. Those of you debating the pros and cons of Leach's coaching record may be overlooking the most important part of his history - namely that he sued his president. I cannot imagine a president at a major university wanting to hire someone who was such a loose cannon that he sued the president. It is doubly tough to imagine where, as here, you have a situation where the current president is going to be turning the reins over to someone new. In addition, every video tape interview I have seen of the man indicates that he is a total flake and goes out of his way to cultivate that image. University presidents have enough trouble with flaky faculty, they are not going to add a high profile flake in a town where all of the sports reporters would pounce on this fact in a heartbeat. I think you would do well to move on to the next candidate no matter what a good record Mr. Leach may have.

Yeah, that'd be the #1 thing which is part of what I meant about character. He's a winning coach, you can't deny that but is it worth the risk?

Did he sue the president while he was still a Tech employee??

Now this is a valid point against Leach. The lawsuit has to make people nervous and I understand that. On the other hand, the whole episode down in Lubbock is very fishy and you have to respect him for sticking to his guns. He can easily get a new job and doesn't need the money. I think the sports reporters would like Leach and I want his name to come up in the media. Pimping him gets his name out there and shows the rest of the Big Ten we want to compete. People in Wisconsin and Iowa fear Leach, they don't fear a lot of the other names being tossed around. You either hire Leach or someone above his level, Joel!

I sent my email in support of Leach. I do feel there are a few other coaches with his abilities and maybe even a few that I think would project in my mind to be better for the Gophers. The problem is, I don't believe those other candidates are realistic. Of realistic candidates... Leach is my favorite and that is why I sent my email. If it isn't Leach, I could easily rally behind several other of the names that have been floating around. If it is someone like Trestman... um, well, I will support any Gopher coach and hope that any potential hire I don't agree with will prove me wrong.

I sent my email in support of Leach. I do feel there are a few other coaches with his abilities and maybe even a few that I think would project in my mind to be better for the Gophers. The problem is, I don't believe those other candidates are realistic. Of realistic candidates... Leach is my favorite and that is why I sent my email. If it isn't Leach, I could easily rally behind several other of the names that have been floating around. If it is someone like Trestman... um, well, I will support any Gopher coach and hope that any potential hire I don't agree with will prove me wrong.

I agree. I would support whoever they hire until they've proven they shouldn't be supported (like Brewster after 3 seasons). I also think Trestman is the wrong guy for the job. I'd take Leach by a mile over Trestman.

I agree. I would support whoever they hire until they've proven they shouldn't be supported (like Brewster after 3 seasons). I also think Trestman is the wrong guy for the job. I'd take Leach by a mile over Trestman.

Than join the movement.

Now this is a valid point against Leach. The lawsuit has to make people nervous and I understand that. On the other hand, the whole episode down in Lubbock is very fishy and you have to respect him for sticking to his guns. He can easily get a new job and doesn't need the money. I think the sports reporters would like Leach and I want his name to come up in the media. Pimping him gets his name out there and shows the rest of the Big Ten we want to compete. People in Wisconsin and Iowa fear Leach, they don't fear a lot of the other names being tossed around. You either hire Leach or someone above his level, Joel!

Ask Nebraska fans what they think of TT. They have lost 4 in a row to TT....including last year in Lincoln. 31-10.

There aren't many candidates that I think are better. Richt, Harbaugh and Patterson (other than Meyer, Saban etc) I would take over Mike L...but there aren't many.

GM

GlovedGopher, you make a good point, as do others backing Leach.

But, I still can't go all in on him yet. Way too early in the process.

Maybe I'm too optimistic that a bigger\better name will come across the board.

Than join the movement.

Did you not read the Bruininks interview in the Star Tribune, it is highly doubtful that the U of MN will seriously consider Leach because of his shady past. They do not want controversy after the last botched hire.

Don't forget when they hung 70 on Big Red, effectively sealing the fate of our current defensive coordinator

Someday, this exact quote will be posted on a Bowling Green football message board. Except it will be referring to Leach at the U sealing Bielema's fate.

I can see it now.....

Top Bottom