Price switches to UNC

And their coach just delivered a signature win on the road against 13th-ranked Virginia Tech! What did our coach just do on the road against ranked opponents?

I actually was waiting for someone to post this last Thursday or Friday after it happened. Big "signature win" that everybody has been waiting for from Brewster. Nice win, sure. Yet, that sterling performance placed UNC's ACC record at 1-3 this year. Whoop-dee-doo.

I think there are a ton of similaritites between the Minnesota and UNC football programs. They have both been mediocre to bad, with some years where they pop into the top 20 then drop out immediately. I've been watching the Tar Heels over the past few years, since they hired Davis at the same time we hired Brewster. I think we all would've taken Davis over Brewster at the time if we had the choice. Maybe we all still would. But they haven't gotten any farther than we have yet.

What are you talking about? Nebraska has been very good the last 30 years. Or are 3 national championships not good enough for you?

It gets really old seeing you come on here all the time and disparage all these other programs constantly. Notre Dame sucks, Nebraska sucks, Florida State sucks, Clemson sucks, A & M sucks, Boise St. sucks, TCU sucks, and now UNC sucks. Why do you even care, and why bring it up, especially when none of these are Big Ten programs, and all are schools we rarely/never play? Here's a hint: you don't have to drag down other schools (especially non-conference) to bring Minnesota up. It's not a zero-sum game.

And others have already beaten me to it, but I'll bring it up again anyway: UNC has gone to (and won) 3 NYD bowls in the last 16 years. They've also won 4 ACC titles since 1971. How many NYD bowls have our Gophers attended in the last 16 years? How many conference titles have our Gophers won since 1971? Thanks in advance for your answer. I'll hang up and listen.

Just to add,
Since 1967, North Carolina has a record of 269-216-6 for a winning percentage of .555. Four ACC titles, 3 NYD bowls and 22 bowl appearances (with many of the bowls coming in the 1970s and 1980s when there were just a handful of bowl invitations handed out)

Minnesota has a record of 212-259-5 for a winning percentage of .450, no Big Ten titles, No NYD bowls and 11 bowl appearances.

I'm sure if most Gopher fans could relive the last 40 years of football watching, they'd gladly swap UNC's "suck" for the "success" Gopher football gave them during the same stretch.

I actually was waiting for someone to post this last Thursday or Friday after it happened. Big "signature win" that everybody has been waiting for from Brewster. Nice win, sure. Yet, that sterling performance placed UNC's ACC record at 1-3 this year. Whoop-dee-doo.

I think there are a ton of similaritites between the Minnesota and UNC football programs. They have both been mediocre to bad, with some years where they pop into the top 20 then drop out immediately. I've been watching the Tar Heels over the past few years, since they hired Davis at the same time we hired Brewster. I think we all would've taken Davis over Brewster at the time if we had the choice. Maybe we all still would. But they haven't gotten any farther than we have yet.

Their record isn't very good but nothing eases a grumbling fan base like a big road victory. Something that could have helped ease some anxiety around here.

I think it's fair to say Davis had a bigger job ahead of him, inheriting a team that had little to no success the previous five years and Brewster taking over a team that had moderate to good success.

It should be interesting to see where the two programs are at when they play in 2013 and who will be coaching both teams. Difference between Davis and Brewster is Butch is getting calls from other programs (Ark. and Tenn.) whereas Brewster is hoping he doesn't get a call into Maturi's office to discuss a buyout.

Just to add,
Since 1967, North Carolina has a record of 269-216-6 for a winning percentage of .555. Four ACC titles, 3 NYD bowls and 22 bowl appearances (with many of the bowls coming in the 1970s and 1980s when there were just a handful of bowl invitations handed out)

Minnesota has a record of 212-259-5 for a winning percentage of .450, no Big Ten titles, No NYD bowls and 11 bowl appearances.

I'm sure if most Gopher fans could relive the last 40 years of football watching, they'd gladly swap UNC's "suck" for the "success" Gopher football gave them during the same stretch.

And boom goes the dynamite.

How did this thread turn into Gophers suck and UNC is awesome?

How did this thread turn into Gophers suck and UNC is awesome?

Please show me where anyone said either of those things. Thanks.

I just like to call out people when they spout BS (which on here, is often enough to make it a full-time job).

If people can look clearly without picking up their lens of hatred, they will see that, over the last four decades, not only does UNC not "suck", they are a slightly-above-average team that is far more successful than the Gophers during that time frame. No more, no less.

Once a guy de-commits, it's amazing how much worse of a player he becomes.;)

Just to add,

Titles in an ACC Conference that didn't include Miami, Florida State, Virginia Tech or Boston College? Those are really meaningful titles they have from the 70's, aren't they? :rolleyes:

If people can look clearly without picking up their lens of hatred, they will see that, over the last four decades, not only does UNC not "suck", they are a slightly-above-average team that is far more successful than the Gophers during that time frame. No more, no less.

When the ACC added Florida State everyone knew they would pretty much win the ACC title in football every year because the ACC's football was horrible. At the time it would have been like adding Penn State or Ohio State to the Big East. Not surprisingly, FSU won the conference almost every year for 15 years. Then the ACC brought in a few more schools with actual football programs.

Saying UNC has been far more successful than the Gophers during that time frame is like saying the Gophers would have been far more successful if they had joined the WAC Conference. If you really want to compare the Gophers perfromance in the Big Ten against UNC's in the ACC- have at it. IMO, it just shows you don't understand or appreciate the history of the game at all.

Titles in an ACC Conference that didn't include Miami, Florida State, Virginia Tech or Boston College? Those are really meaningful titles they have from the 70's, aren't they? :rolleyes:

I'd consider them pretty meaningful considering those teams in the 70s era had the following records:

Miami - 41-66
Virginia Tech - 47-61-2
Florida State - 53-49
B.C. - 53-49

Speaking of history lessons...

When the ACC added Florida State everyone knew they would pretty much win the ACC title in football every year because the ACC's football was horrible. At the time it would have been like adding Penn State or Ohio State to the Big East. Not surprisingly, FSU won the conference almost every year for 15 years. Then the ACC brought in a few more schools with actual football programs.

Saying UNC has been far more successful than the Gophers during that time frame is like saying the Gophers would have been far more successful if they had joined the WAC Conference. If you really want to compare the Gophers perfromance in the Big Ten against UNC's in the ACC- have at it. IMO, it just shows you don't understand or appreciate the history of the game at all.

Kind of like you understood when you said that the gophers had a higher winning percentage than UNC. If you understood the history of the game as well you would realize that there were some very solid teams in the ACC before the addition of Florida State(i.e. Clemson-national championship, Georgia Tech-split national championship). The main point is that it is not necessary to disparage every other program to try and pump up the gopher program especially a non rival to Minnesota.

You're right. We have to presume that when UNC won the conference in 1980, the Clemson team (who won the national title in 1981) was not very good. Clemson sure was terrible when they beat Ohio St. in the infamous "Woody Hayes punch" game in 1978. They were also awful when they won 18 games over the previous 2 seasons.

Maryland went to a bowl game every year between 1974-78, and went undefeated in 1976. They were consistently in the top 25 every year.

NC State went 33-12 under Lou Holtz from 1972-75, and finished #17 or better in the AP poll each of his first three years. They also finished in the top 20 in the coaches' poll in '77 and '78.

Here's another meaningful stat for you:

Minnesota has played against ACC teams 5 times:

2005 Virginia L
2000 NC State L
1985 Clemson W
1977 Maryland L
1968 Wake Forest W

So we're 2-5 against this piss-poor conference. Not to mention the fact that we beat a 6-6 Clemson team and a 2-7-1 Wake Forest team. Surely our mighty Gophers would dominate such a pathetic conference.

shovel.jpg

Keep digging. This is fun.

Please explain to me what the state of the ACC in 1991 (when Florida St. joined) has anything to do with the state of the ACC in the 70s and early 80s (when North Carolina won their conference titles). Thanks.

Also, to compare the ACC, at any time, to the WAC, at any time, is so ridiculous that I don't even know how to respond.

I'd consider them pretty meaningful considering those teams in the 70s era had the following records:

Miami - 41-66
Virginia Tech - 47-61-2
Florida State - 53-49
B.C. - 53-49

Speaking of history lessons...

So, you're trying to make the point that the ACC was more compeetive without FSU and Miami?
:clap:
Please, go on....

Please explain to me what the state of the ACC in 1991 (when Florida St. joined) has anything to do with the state of the ACC in the 70s and early 80s (when North Carolina won their conference titles). Thanks.

Also, to compare the ACC, at any time, to the WAC, at any time, is so ridiculous that I don't even know how to respond.

Ok, I will. Winning the ACC before FSU's arrival was meaningless. Because this was the first time a good team would have faced reasonable competition for the title.

Cummulative difficuly matters. It's the reason Boise State isn't going to play in the NC game.

I lived in ACC country for several years. Most ACC fans that I met are perfectly willing to laugh at their conference's futility in football. Clemson was the powerhouse before FSU joined. That says it all. People down there were excited about the expansion because it made the conference legit in football for the first time ever.

So, you're trying to make the point that the ACC was more compeetive without FSU and Miami?
:clap:
Please, go on....

Don't try to bolster your argument by taking things out of context. We were talking 1970's and in that decade, those powerhouse programs of today that you mentioned were bad. So if UNC plays those .500 and sub-.500 teams back then, how do their ACC titles suddenly become more meaningful? Maybe you should start appreciating history before you attempt to call people on it.

Don't try to bolster your argument by taking things out of context. We were talking 1970's and in that decade, those powerhouse programs of today that you mentioned were bad. So if UNC plays those .500 and sub-.500 teams back then, how do their ACC titles suddenly become more meaningful? Maybe you should start appreciating history before you attempt to call people on it.

They don't. The point is that a modern, post-expansion ACC title would be more meaningful than the titles UNC racked-up in the 70's. Today, and ACC title would be more comparable to winning the Big Ten. But with the fall of FSU and Miami, the conference lacks the kind of powerhouse teams that are in the other BCS conferences (minus the Big East).

I would applaud UNC if they won the current ACC conference. But for the last few years the ACC has been like the Big Ten was in 2007, except without Ohio State.

Kind of like you understood when you said that the gophers had a higher winning percentage than UNC. If you understood the history of the game as well you would realize that there were some very solid teams in the ACC before the addition of Florida State(i.e. Clemson-national championship, Georgia Tech-split national championship). The main point is that it is not necessary to disparage every other program to try and pump up the gopher program especially a non rival to Minnesota.

I said Minnesota has a much higher winning percentage over the last 10 years. And it's true.

RobDonovan Lewis will be committing very soon which is an upgrade over Price so I'm very happy with the trade off.

I said Minnesota has a much higher winning percentage over the last 10 years. And it's true.

Just so I am clear you started your argument by saying that UNC "sucked" for the last 30 years in comparison to the gophers. After being proven wrong on that point you then try and shrink down your sample size to only include the 1970's to show the ACC "sucks" and therefore UNC sucks. After proven wrong on that, you then try and adjust your sample again to only include the last 10 years to try and prove your point, got it. I guess the old adage is true if you fail once try and try again. I cannot wait to see what you do when we lose a recruit to USC or Florida and then come back and say that program "sucks" compared to Minnesota. After being proven wrong on that you will then come back and say, they do if you look at this one Saturday in 2007 where the Gophers won and they lost. Absolutely priceless.

where do ya'll work that you can sit around all day looking up stats in an attempt to win an internet argument that has no meaning?

price will fit in nicely at UNC, however--UNC is packed with defensive talent and it may take some time for him to see the field.

but hey, at least he wont have to buy a winter coat.:rolleyes:

RobDonovan Lewis will be committing very soon which is an upgrade over Price so I'm very happy with the trade off.

Huh? RobDonovan Lewis, a guy with offers from Louisiana-Monroe, Northwestern State, and Mississippi State is an upgrade over Jabari Price, with offers from North Carolina, Kansas State, Louisville, and Purdue?

As someone mentioned earlier in the thread, its amazing how much worse players get as soon as they decommit.

Huh? RobDonovan Lewis, a guy with offers from Louisiana-Monroe, Northwestern State, and Mississippi State is an upgrade over Jabari Price, with offers from North Carolina, Kansas State, Louisville, and Purdue?

As someone mentioned earlier in the thread, its amazing how much worse players get as soon as they decommit.

Or you can agree with Rivals. Have it your way bud.

For whatever reason La. is under recruited. RobDonovan Lewis is 5'11 175 4.4 vs 5'10 171 and no 40 time for JP. Price's high school produces a ton of D1 talent every year and is hevaily recruited. This is not true of Jonesboro La. As it stands Lewis is rated higher by Rivals and probably has greater upside potential than JP IMHO.

For whatever reason La. is under recruited. RobDonovan Lewis is 5'11 175 4.4 vs 5'10 171 and no 40 time for JP. Price's high school produces a ton of D1 talent every year and is hevaily recruited. This is not true of Jonesboro La. As it stands Lewis is rated higher by Rivals and probably has greater upside potential than JP IMHO.

Thank you for a very rational response.

Just so I am clear you started your argument by saying that UNC "sucked" for the last 30 years in comparison to the gophers.

No, try again. It was you that started this comparison to the Gophers over the last 30 years. And you happily slammed the Gophers in the process. Comparing the programs was not my point. It was yours. And that's where the "UNC is great and Minn sucks" branch of this thread began. My only original mention of the Gophers was that Mason's teams (00's) would have regularly beat UNC. They would have. UNC was pretty bad in the Morney/Barber years.

After being proven wrong on that point you then try and shrink down your sample size to only include the 1970's to show the ACC "sucks" and therefore UNC sucks.

Wrong again. Another poster (inexplicably) went out further than 30 years to build a case for UNC's relevance. And I very successfully demonstated that what UNC did in the 70's in the ACC didn't translate well to the modern ACC.

... then try and adjust your sample again to only include the last 10 years to try and prove your point, got it.

Again, this was actually the original (and only) time frame over which I did compare UNC to Minnesota by saying the Mason-era teams could have beat them.

I cannot wait to see what you do when we lose a recruit to USC or Florida and then come back and say that program "sucks" compared to Minnesota. After being proven wrong on that you will then come back and say, they do if you look at this one Saturday in 2007 where the Gophers won and they lost. Absolutely priceless.

I didn't say UNC "sucks compared to Minnesota". I said UNC sucked for 30 years. You made the comparision to Minnesota. My original statement hasn't changed once over the course of this thread. I find it encouraging that we are competing with UNC for talent. One thing UNC has always had access to is talent. I would be estatic if we regularly competed against Florida and USC for recruits.

In summary, you apparently have trouble reading. And I am done with this thread because I tired of making you look like an ass. :p

By the way, the Gator Bowl is technically a NYD bowl. But how many of you trolls are going to celebrate the Gophers making a NYD bowl game if they end up in the Gator Bowl in 2010-2011?

And I very successfully demonstated that what UNC did in the 70's in the ACC didn't translate well to the modern ACC.

Um, no you didn't. More than one poster in this thread has shown that there were several quality programs in the ACC in the 1970s and early 1980s. Moreover, your argument that (paraphrased) "an ACC title without Florida St., Miami, etc. is meaningless" is bunk because those teams were just not very good when UNC was winning conference titles in that time frame.

In addition, you're the one who brought up how UNC has "sucked" over the "past 30 years". What the hell does that have to do with the price of rice in China? That's akin to saying that Iowa and Wisconsin really sucked in the 70s, so we should have no problem beating them out for recruits now.:confused: But that's not right, and neither is your horrible argument that UNC has sucked for the last 30 years.

But you just keep going on thinking what you want. You are a great football historian in your own mind, so you'll go to great lengths to not admit defeat on this point. There is nothing more beautiful than a person who insists that he is right when he has been proven wrong time and again. It's a testament to the power of the human spirit, really.:rolleyes:

dpdoll68,

Its become quite apparent that Goldmember is one of those "I am always right, and you are always wrong" posters. He has been presented with factual evidence and he counters with spins.

Anyone able to validate this information: It was reported by one of the moderators at GI that RobDon called the gopher coaches wanting to commit to the team but they told him they were full at DB....???

Top Bottom