President Eric Kaler announces search plan for new University of Minnesota AD

Well, frankly, people have and stuck there money into it in large amounts, namely the Wilder Foundation.
I think he means schools. The U is already on the upper end of the spectrum among BCS schools when it comes to number of sports offered.

Well, frankly, people have and stuck there money into it in large amounts, namely the Wilder Foundation at younger levels, like 4H, and other clubs. Far be it for me to suggest that the state hasn't debated this at various levels. But, the reality is you can not fund 10,000 soccer players because what other states do is out of our hands. But, in Minnesota, there are 3 levels of NCAA programs that have women's soccer. Not all of them are scholarship players, but the correlation still applies and so does the social return on investment. There are 20 Division 3 colleges in Minnesota. 9 division 2 and 1 D1. That is 30 programs with the potential of having 40 women participate in each, or 1200 women. Choose your college and donate to their program.
Good kids end up being college soccer players, college soccer doesn't make good kids. Would you argue that playing college football keeps kids off drugs? Why didn't it work for TCU? It's a silly argument. It may help marginally, but let's not pretend that college soccer is going to reengineer our society. 40 girls? Come on. Care to answer my question about Maturi?

Good kids end up being college soccer players, college soccer doesn't make good kids. Would you argue that playing college football keeps kids off drugs? It's a silly, utopian argument, that implies that we can engineer the society we want. Care to answer my question about Maturi?

These kids come from all kinds of social backgrounds and strata and yes the programs where standards are set for behavior on and off the field do engineer society. It changes the lives of these young people. There is nothing Utopian about it. It works and there is research that connects the dots for you. I could dumb it down for your feeble brain even more, but I'm not sure how to get past zero.

These kids come from all kinds of social backgrounds and strata and yes the programs where standards are set for behavior on and off the field do engineer society. It changes the lives of these young people. There is nothing Utopian about it. It works and there is research that connects the dots for you. I could dumb it down for your feeble brain even more, but I'm not sure how to get past zero.

Yes, I'm sure women's college soccer players come from very diverse backgrounds, smh. Still not answering my Maturi question? If the answer is no, you're arguing with air, which is why you are avoiding it.

http://www.gophersports.com/sports/w-soccer/mtt/minn-w-soccer-mtt.html

I think he means schools. The U is already on the upper end of the spectrum among BCS schools when it comes to number of sports offered.

That depends on what you mean by the upper end of the spectrum. Ohio State has 39 varsity sports, we aren't near that end of the spectrum. The U has a typical number of sports for a Big Ten school.

That depends on what you mean by the upper end of the spectrum. Ohio State has 39 varsity sports, we aren't near that end of the spectrum. The U has a typical number of sports for a Big Ten school.
As I recall (and I could very well be wrong here) OSU is an outlier and the number of schools with high numbers like that are few. My recollection was that while the Gophers are average for the B1G, the B1G was above avg for the BCS schools. But again, this is my memory we're talking about.

Her being a co-chair of this search committee is the only thing worrying me. She, was one the committee that hired Maturi and, allegedly, has no love for revenue sports.

the one thing that might counter balance this mary jo kane, femi-nazi. title IX lady on the committee is that the other woman sitting on the 4-person chair committee is president kaler's chief of staff. the other two members are men. having the other female member of the 4 person chair committee be kaler's C.O.S., and thus knowing what type of candidate he is looking for and his desire to see our main revenue sports succeed, would hopefully neutralize any significant influence mary jo kane will try to have in getting another maturi-like, pro-women's/pro-non revenue sports AD in the position.

See Dean, if you want to rail on someone you should save the vitriol for the post you see here ^^^^

On another note...whether it's a "window dressing" type of recognition or not, I am quite happy to see that Marquis Gray is on this committee, if for no reason than I think it speaks to the character and growth that he has exhibited since he first committed to the "U". After he wasn't initially admitted into the university because of questions of his ACT scores, I figured he would be another promising athlete left by the wayside, likely never to step foot onto the campus. Regardless of your feelings towards his football abilities, he seems to be an admirable young man and one that U of M fans should be proud of.

+1. keep up the good work, gray. keep it up.

See Dean, if you want to rail on someone you should save the vitriol for the post you see here ^^^^

thank you. just saying what i know to be true about mary jo kane. she would throw the 3 big revenue sports under the bus in an instant, if she could actually get away with it. :D

thank you. just saying what i know to be true about mary jo kane. she would throw the 3 big revenue sports under the bus in an instant, if she could actually get away with it. :D
And that's why she gave $10,000 for TCF Bank Stadium

Fiendishly clever, isn't it... destroy Gopher football by donating $10,000 to Gopher football!

Does that mean that TCF Bank hates Gopher football 3,500 times more than she does?

the one thing that might counter balance this mary jo kane, femi-nazi. title IX lady on the committee is that the other woman sitting on the 4-person chair committee is president kaler's chief of staff. the other two members are men.

Sexist much?

ever notice how political campaign donors often give money to both republicans and democrats for access and face time? even though they are likely only truly supportive of one party or the other? personally, i chalk mary jo kane's "donation" up to something similar to that. a way for her to keep her pro title IX voice at least in the mix on certain discussions.

i guess i just don't believe that she donated $10K of the money taxpayers of the state of minnesota gave her because deep down she really truly cares about the U of M football program, or men's basketball program or men's hockey program. i just happen to think her donation was more of a "political" play on her part, so she could maintain some access to discussions such as the upcoming AD search.

ever notice how political campaign donors often give money to both republicans and democrats for access and face time? even though they are likely only truly supportive of one party or the other? personally, i chalk mary jo kane's "donation" up to something similar to that. a way for her to keep her pro title IX voice at least in the mix on certain discussions.

i guess i just don't believe that she donated $10K of the money taxpayers of the state of minnesota gave her because deep down she really truly cares about the U of M football program, or men's basketball program or men's hockey program. i just happen to think her donation was more of a "political" play on her part, so she could maintain some access to discussions such as the upcoming AD search.

People may donate to both Republicans and Democrats, but people don't donate to the causes that they are dedicated to destroying. Donating $10,000 dollars to TCF Bank Stadium is strong evidence that she is not a zealot out to destroy Gopher football. Supporting non-revenue sports does not equal being an anti-football zealot.

So I see supa has mastered the art of the conspiracy theory.

So I see supa has mastered the art of the conspiracy theory.

or perhaps i just have an opinion on something. if you don't agree with it, that is fine. not demanding that you do. but doesn't mean i am a conspiracy theorist.

or perhaps i just have an opinion on something. if you don't agree with it, that is fine. not demanding that you do. but doesn't mean i am a conspiracy theorist.
Sorry, conspiratorial opinion then. Or would you prefer I replace conspiratorial with outlandish, ridiculous, etc? You're suggesting that she donated $10,000 (not a small sum) so that she could later undermine the program. Occam's razor that is not.

I'm not one who is glad to see her name on the list as a co-chair, but this nonsense just has me shaking my head.

Top Bottom