President Eric Kaler announces search plan for new University of Minnesota AD

GopherLady

Reaction score
Per U of MN press release. MarQueis Gray will be a student representative:

President Eric Kaler announces search plan for new University of Minnesota athletics director

MINNEAPOLIS / ST. PAUL (02/21/2012) —University of Minnesota President Eric Kaler has named a search committee and selected Parker Executive Search to lead the search for the next director of athletics.

A 21-member search advisory committee and a four-person search committee will work with the leading national executive search firm in collegiate athletics to advise Kaler regarding a successor to Joel Maturi, who will retire from his duties as director of athletics June 30.

“A strong, diverse athletics program committed to academic and competitive success is important to the overall excellence and vitality of the University of Minnesota,” Kaler said. “As a public window to our tremendous university, Gopher Athletics connects students, alumni, faculty, staff and the greater community to this great institution.

“The search for our next athletics director demands a thorough and inclusive process. I am confident the search will produce a candidate who ensures University of Minnesota athletics operates with the highest integrity, and is dedicated to the development of the student athlete and committed to athletic success.”

The next University of Minnesota athletics director will lead a program nationally lauded for both academic and competitive success. Gopher Athletics has recorded top-15 finishes in Directors’ Cup standings two of the last three academic years, and has been in the top 30 for 16 consecutive years. Befitting its stature as one of the nation’s premier public research universities, Minnesota placed 68 student-athletes on the Big Ten Conference Distinguished Scholar Athletes list in 2010-11, matching Michigan State for most honorees by an individual school.

Minnesota’s 25-sport program boasts impressive facilities, including TCF Bank Stadium, the conference’s first new on-campus stadium in nearly 50 years. With more than 400,000 “U” alumni, the Twin Cities campus draws an average of nearly 1 million fans to Gopher athletic events annually.

The search advisory committee will identify the qualities desired in a new athletics director, review and finalize the job description, advance names of qualified candidates to the search committee, participate in on-campus interviews and assist with the on-boarding process. The four-person search committee will conduct confidential semi-finalist interviews and will recommend finalists to President Kaler for on-campus interviews. To ensure a clear and direct line of input between the committees, both committees will be co-chaired by Tim Mulcahy, vice president for research, and Mary Jo Kane, professor of kinesiology and director of the Tucker Center for Research on Girls & Women in Sport.

The search committee aims to have finalists identified by late April. Kaler’s goal is to name the next director of athletics in early May, with a new AD starting at the University July 1.

The search committee reflects the university’s core mission, representing its academic, research and community-driven values. The four members of the search committee are:

R. Timothy Mulcahy, vice president for research, University of Minnesota (co-chair)
Tim Mulcahy was appointed vice president for research on Feb. 1, 2005. He is responsible for the oversight and administration of externally funded research on the five campuses of the University of Minnesota system and with overseeing the overall vitality of the university research environment. Mulcahy earned a Ph.D. in pathology and radiological sciences from the University of Wisconsin-Madison, and was a faculty member at that university from 1985 to 2005. Since his appointment as vice president for research, Mulcahy has chaired the search committees for the positions of chancellor, University of Minnesota-Rochester, and senior vice president for academic affairs and provost.

Mary Jo Kane, director, Tucker Center for Research on Girls & Women in Sport, University of Minnesota (co-chair)
Mary Jo Kane is professor and director of the Tucker Center for Research on Girls & Women in Sport in the School of Kinesiology. Kane, who earned a Ph.D. from the University of Illinois, Urbana-Champaign, is an internationally recognized scholar on the social and economic impact of Title IX. She has been involved in faculty governance, serving on the Faculty Consultative Committee (1999-2000 and 2002-05) and as vice chair of the University Senate (2006-08). In 2007 Kane was named one of the 100 most influential sport educators by the International Institute for Sport. Kane recently received the Distinguished Merit Award from the Minnesota Coalition of Women in Athletic Leadership.

Amy Phenix, chief of staff, Office of the President, University of Minnesota
Amy Phenix oversees several functions reporting to the president’s office, including day-to-day operational reporting of intercollegiate athletics, communications, marketing, compliance and the University Senate office. A veteran of communications management roles in the private and public sector, Phenix holds a master of business administration degree from the Carlson School of Management.

John E. Lindahl, managing general partner, Norwest Equity Partners
John Lindahl is the managing general partner at Norwest Equity Partners (NEP), where he is credited with growing the firm into one of the nation’s leading private equity firms. A 1968 graduate from the Carlson School of Management, he is a dedicated alumnus whose generosity and commitment is demonstrated through his civic leadership and service. In addition to several endowed professorships and scholarships, John and his wife, Nancy, took a lead role in the TCF Bank Stadium fundraising campaign.

The larger search advisory committee brings together faculty, staff, students, community leaders and alumni. Its members:

Co-chairs - Mulcahy and Kane
Student Athletes – MarQueis Gray, football; Mia Tabberson, volleyball
Coaches – Don Lucia, men’s hockey; Meg Stephenson, women’s gymnastics
Athletic Staff – Dan O’Brien, football operations
Faculty and Academic leadership – Perry Leo, professor and department director, aerospace engineering, and faculty athletic representative; Linda Brady, professor, food science and nutrition, and faculty athletic representative; Virginia Zuiker, associate professor, family social science, and chair, Advisory Committee on Athletics; Walt Jacobs, associate professor and chair, African American & African Studies, and vice chair, Faculty Consultative Committee; Robert McMaster, vice provost and dean of undergraduate education
Compliance – JT Bruett, director, athletic compliance
Community Members – Julianne Bye, Archie Givens, Nancy Lindahl, Peggy Lucas, Dave Mona, Lou Nanne, Mark Sheffert and Darrell Thompson
Former student athletes – Quincy Lewis, basketball; and Sue Grimm, swimming, president, M Club

Parker Executive Search, led by President Dan Parker, has completed successful athletics director searches at 41 public and private universities, including 18 schools from a Bowl Championship Series (BCS) automatic qualifying conference. This list also includes four from the Big Ten Conference: Indiana University, Ohio State University, University of Illinois and University of Iowa.

Parker and his firm have completed more than 1,000 senior level searches and, in 2007, Parker was named by the Chronicle of Higher Education as one of the 10 most influential people in collegiate athletics.

Per U of MN press release. MarQueis Gray will be a student representative:

President Eric Kaler announces search plan for new University of Minnesota athletics director

MINNEAPOLIS / ST. PAUL (02/21/2012) —University of Minnesota President Eric Kaler has named a search committee and selected Parker Executive Search to lead the search for the next director of athletics.

A 21-member search advisory committee and a four-person search committee will work with the leading national executive search firm in collegiate athletics to advise Kaler regarding a successor to Joel Maturi, who will retire from his duties as director of athletics June 30.

“A strong, diverse athletics program committed to academic and competitive success is important to the overall excellence and vitality of the University of Minnesota,” Kaler said. “As a public window to our tremendous university, Gopher Athletics connects students, alumni, faculty, staff and the greater community to this great institution.

“The search for our next athletics director demands a thorough and inclusive process. I am confident the search will produce a candidate who ensures University of Minnesota athletics operates with the highest integrity, and is dedicated to the development of the student athlete and committed to athletic success.”

The next University of Minnesota athletics director will lead a program nationally lauded for both academic and competitive success. Gopher Athletics has recorded top-15 finishes in Directors’ Cup standings two of the last three academic years, and has been in the top 30 for 16 consecutive years. Befitting its stature as one of the nation’s premier public research universities, Minnesota placed 68 student-athletes on the Big Ten Conference Distinguished Scholar Athletes list in 2010-11, matching Michigan State for most honorees by an individual school.

Minnesota’s 25-sport program boasts impressive facilities, including TCF Bank Stadium, the conference’s first new on-campus stadium in nearly 50 years. With more than 400,000 “U” alumni, the Twin Cities campus draws an average of nearly 1 million fans to Gopher athletic events annually.

The search advisory committee will identify the qualities desired in a new athletics director, review and finalize the job description, advance names of qualified candidates to the search committee, participate in on-campus interviews and assist with the on-boarding process. The four-person search committee will conduct confidential semi-finalist interviews and will recommend finalists to President Kaler for on-campus interviews. To ensure a clear and direct line of input between the committees, both committees will be co-chaired by Tim Mulcahy, vice president for research, and Mary Jo Kane, professor of kinesiology and director of the Tucker Center for Research on Girls & Women in Sport.

The search committee aims to have finalists identified by late April. Kaler’s goal is to name the next director of athletics in early May, with a new AD starting at the University July 1.

The search committee reflects the university’s core mission, representing its academic, research and community-driven values. The four members of the search committee are:

R. Timothy Mulcahy, vice president for research, University of Minnesota (co-chair)
Tim Mulcahy was appointed vice president for research on Feb. 1, 2005. He is responsible for the oversight and administration of externally funded research on the five campuses of the University of Minnesota system and with overseeing the overall vitality of the university research environment. Mulcahy earned a Ph.D. in pathology and radiological sciences from the University of Wisconsin-Madison, and was a faculty member at that university from 1985 to 2005. Since his appointment as vice president for research, Mulcahy has chaired the search committees for the positions of chancellor, University of Minnesota-Rochester, and senior vice president for academic affairs and provost.

Mary Jo Kane, director, Tucker Center for Research on Girls & Women in Sport, University of Minnesota (co-chair)
Mary Jo Kane is professor and director of the Tucker Center for Research on Girls & Women in Sport in the School of Kinesiology. Kane, who earned a Ph.D. from the University of Illinois, Urbana-Champaign, is an internationally recognized scholar on the social and economic impact of Title IX. She has been involved in faculty governance, serving on the Faculty Consultative Committee (1999-2000 and 2002-05) and as vice chair of the University Senate (2006-08). In 2007 Kane was named one of the 100 most influential sport educators by the International Institute for Sport. Kane recently received the Distinguished Merit Award from the Minnesota Coalition of Women in Athletic Leadership.

Amy Phenix, chief of staff, Office of the President, University of Minnesota
Amy Phenix oversees several functions reporting to the president’s office, including day-to-day operational reporting of intercollegiate athletics, communications, marketing, compliance and the University Senate office. A veteran of communications management roles in the private and public sector, Phenix holds a master of business administration degree from the Carlson School of Management.

John E. Lindahl, managing general partner, Norwest Equity Partners
John Lindahl is the managing general partner at Norwest Equity Partners (NEP), where he is credited with growing the firm into one of the nation’s leading private equity firms. A 1968 graduate from the Carlson School of Management, he is a dedicated alumnus whose generosity and commitment is demonstrated through his civic leadership and service. In addition to several endowed professorships and scholarships, John and his wife, Nancy, took a lead role in the TCF Bank Stadium fundraising campaign.

The larger search advisory committee brings together faculty, staff, students, community leaders and alumni. Its members:

Co-chairs - Mulcahy and Kane
Student Athletes – MarQueis Gray, football; Mia Tabberson, volleyball
Coaches – Don Lucia, men’s hockey; Meg Stephenson, women’s gymnastics
Athletic Staff – Dan O’Brien, football operations
Faculty and Academic leadership – Perry Leo, professor and department director, aerospace engineering, and faculty athletic representative; Linda Brady, professor, food science and nutrition, and faculty athletic representative; Virginia Zuiker, associate professor, family social science, and chair, Advisory Committee on Athletics; Walt Jacobs, associate professor and chair, African American & African Studies, and vice chair, Faculty Consultative Committee; Robert McMaster, vice provost and dean of undergraduate education
Compliance – JT Bruett, director, athletic compliance
Community Members – Julianne Bye, Archie Givens, Nancy Lindahl, Peggy Lucas, Dave Mona, Lou Nanne, Mark Sheffert and Darrell Thompson
Former student athletes – Quincy Lewis, basketball; and Sue Grimm, swimming, president, M Club

Parker Executive Search, led by President Dan Parker, has completed successful athletics director searches at 41 public and private universities, including 18 schools from a Bowl Championship Series (BCS) automatic qualifying conference. This list also includes four from the Big Ten Conference: Indiana University, Ohio State University, University of Illinois and University of Iowa.

Parker and his firm have completed more than 1,000 senior level searches and, in 2007, Parker was named by the Chronicle of Higher Education as one of the 10 most influential people in collegiate athletics.

The University at its streamlined best, but I guess that's what happens when Tony Dungy is busy.

The University at its streamlined best, but I guess that's what happens when Tony Dungy is busy.
Search committees are common across industries and many look this way. There is a reason there are only 4 primary committee members.

Mary Jo Kane - "an internationally recognized scholar on the social and economic impact of Title IX." oh what a fascinating area of study! I'm sure that the economic impacts of rowing and field hockey require a lot of study. I would love to read some of her research.

Search committees are common across industries and many look this way. There is a reason there are only 4 primary committee members.

Um, I know that. Doesn't mean I can't think they're cumbersome and silly. Mainly, they're meant to make sure people think they have a voice, when they really don't. (IMO)

Mary Jo Kane - "an internationally recognized scholar on the social and economic impact of Title IX." oh what a fascinating area of study! I'm sure that the economic impacts of rowing and field hockey require a lot of study. I would love to read some of her research.

Her being a co-chair of this search committee is the only thing worrying me. She, was one the committee that hired Maturi and, allegedly, has no love for revenue sports.

Um, I know that. Doesn't mean I can't think they're cumbersome and silly. Mainly, they're meant to make sure people think they have a voice, when they really don't. (IMO)
It just means you can get lots of input for the 4 main folks to take under consideration. The other folks have a voice...but it could be ignored quite easily. It's up to those 4 whether the input means anything.

It can be cumbersome but doesn't have to be. If the people leading do a good job then it won't be.

Her being a co-chair of this search committee is the only thing worrying me. She, was one the committee that hired Maturi and, allegedly, has no love for revenue sports.
True, but the other 3 are a sit in for Kaler, a major FB booster, and an academic who apparently was at WI when they hired Alvarez. So long as the booster and Kaler (er, his staff member) are on the same page you're looking at no worse than a 50/50 split where Kaler can then step in and make the choice he wants. At least, that's what the optimist in me wants to see.

How true is that?

How true is that?

I'll be the first to admit that before today I had no idea who she is, but everyone on the internets that has heard of her dislikes her.

But don't take my word for it. Read MV's take http://fringebowlteamblog.com/?q=blog/thoughts-cabal

And I agree with you GoAUpher that she's probably there to appease a certain segment of the population. But she has a rather prominent position. The next AD is a big hire for the U is all I'm saying and I hope the process goes smoothly, and everyone making the decision has the right priorities in mind...

I'm really trying not to judge Kane's background as an all out negative on this panel.

Her involvement makes me nervous, and I'm married to a former D3 all american women's hockey player, no title 9 bias here.

I just hope the AD is truly Kaler's choice and gets our revenue sports back on track first and foremost.

EDIT: Looked up her profile on the U's website. In a phrase: Holy bleep not good for anyone who wants competitive revenue sports.

She's basically made a living bashing big time revenue college athletics and mainly big time men's revenue athletics.

I'm really trying not to judge Kane's background as an all out negative on this panel.

Her involvement makes me nervous, and I'm married to a former D3 all american women's hockey player, no title 9 bias here.

I just hope the AD is truly Kaler's choice and gets our revenue sports back on track first and foremost.
She had her chance and failed.

Found this on the google....alumni magazine:

http://www.minnesotaalumni.org/s/1118/content.aspx?sid=1118&gid=1&pgid=603

Mary Jo Kane
Mary Jo Kane loves football. The director of the University of Minnesota’s Tucker Center for Research on Girls & Women in Sport is an ardent Notre Dame supporter who played touch football while growing up in central Illinois. “Going to a football game on a Saturday afternoon on a college campus is one of the great thrills of my year,” says Kane, who gave $10,000 to the new Gopher stadium.

Kane, a leading expert on Title IX, the federal measure that mandates equity for women in educational institutions, appreciates that some people might find her enthusiasm for football, the iconic male sport, surprising. “I felt very comfortable about making a personal gift and supporting this initiative so publicly because of the unique partnership that the University entered into with the state [to share building costs] and, more importantly, the president promised to leverage gifts to the stadium for academic initiatives,” she said, noting that more than $45 million in academic gifts has been raised through stadium fund-raising.

Kane’s gift is also a nod to her employer and host state for the career opportunities she’s had since moving to Minnesota in 1989. “I am a firm a believer that to whom great things are given, there is an obligation to give back,” she says.

------------------------------------

I wonder how many of the "cut all the non revenue sports" donated 10,000 to the stadium?

Kane.

Are you all kidding me? This is a joke right? I'm sorry, I forgot that women aren't allowed out of the kitchen anymore. Stop being bigoted jerks and respect her. She is an amazing woman with a profound knowledge and understanding of sports in society. All I hear is that it's such a pain to allow women to participate. Why can't women sports become a money generator? Oh that's right, society tells us that only men are good at sports, and only money matters. We have more female athletes than male athletes at this university and she deserves this spot. Get your minds in the right place and think outside of yourselves. It's not about equality, but equity. Look it up. It's not 1968 anymore.

Why can't women sports become a money generator? Oh that's right, society tells us that only men are good at sports, and only money matters.
Um, it's not bigoted to think that the sports that generate the money that fund all the other sports should perhaps get a little more support and attention. That would be something called common sense. And the reason the women's sports aren't money generators is because people don't come to watch them. The exception to that rule was/is women's BB which has the ability to be revenue neutral (or even make a little money) if it is winning (like it did back in the early 2000's).

Are you all kidding me? This is a joke right? I'm sorry, I forgot that women aren't allowed out of the kitchen anymore. Stop being bigoted jerks and respect her. She is an amazing woman with a profound knowledge and understanding of sports in society. All I hear is that it's such a pain to allow women to participate. Why can't women sports become a money generator? Oh that's right, society tells us that only men are good at sports, and only money matters. We have more female athletes than male athletes at this university and she deserves this spot. Get your minds in the right place and think outside of yourselves. It's not about equality, but equity. Look it up. It's not 1968 anymore.
Who is stopping women's sports from being a money generator? You think that's men's fault? If women want equality in sports, start buying season tickets and start watching games on tv. I'm glad that you are a big proponent of equity, but this woman was involved in the hiring of Joel Maturi, and the reason she liked him so much is because of his commitment to having a lot of sports that lose money and nobody cares about while ignoring the revenue generators.

YEAH SCREW ALL YOU MALE PIGS!!!

Umm what? I'm guessing you're directing your rant at me, but neither me or anyone else has said anything remotely negative about either Title IX or women making decisions.

I was initially worried that Kane might steer the committee away from a pro revenue sports minded AD. That's all.

Hope that helps! It's too bad that 1968 exhibit at the Minnesota History Center just closed, you could have learned a few things. 1968 was a pretty big year for the "new woman."

Hey Maximus, thanks for the link on Kane. Kinda puts my worries to rest.

July 2, 2002

Joel Maturi, a Chisholm native and formerly the athletic director at Denver and Miami (Ohio), is recommended by a search committee as the only finalist for the job leading a combined men's and women's athletic department at the U of M.

Search committee chairwoman Mary Jo Kane says at the time: "He cares about all sports, not just the big-revenue sports. He thinks of athletics as a community and a family." Maturi is officially named AD a little more than a week later.

This attitude did so much damage to our athletics dept it's ridiculous. It's D3, not BIG10.

Fowle, calm down. I'd argue the women's Bball run in the tournament was as exciting for everyone as it could be. It was not parlayed into anything and a chance to take gopher women's bball to a higher level was lost.
All this under our former AD who refused to make tough choices and made sure everyone felt special instead.

IMO we could have 4 revenue sports if the right AD were put in place including Men's hockey and women's BBall.

I have no problem with Kane's inclusion in the committee but lets also not forget that Maturi did a poor job with the revenue generators which fund the rest of the dept and keep lesser attended sports alive. It's also not fair to pinpoint men when women also attend men's revenue sports in far greater numbers than womens events.

Actually you've only read about THIS woman, not the multiple other women on the comittee. Why can't women's college sports generate money? Currently its because the general public (over half of which are women) simply don't watch or attend women's athletic events unless its Tennessee or UConn women's basketball. The only sports that generate money anywhere are Football (no women's teams) Basketball (again only the 2 dominate teams generate even a bit of interest) and Hockey at a few select schools. Its simple supply and demand. Women don't even support women's college sports so please cut the sexism crap. Women's tennis is popular. Women's track is huge during the olympics and in the winter games the ladies garner more interest than the men's often. But in college sports, nobody cares about anything other than FB, men's BB and men's hockey (barely). Maturi failed because he cared as much about softball and men's rowing as the sports that actually bring money and attention to the school and the fear is that this lady will crusade for someone similar just as she did for Maturi.

I still think it is no more than 50/50 the next AD is a man. That aside, people are dreaming if they think the new AD will be able to eliminate, or even de-emphasize, any of the non-revenue sports at the U. That will NEVER happen with U administrators like Mary Jo Kane all of the people she represents ready to run to the Board of Regents, State Legislature and the news media at the slightest hint that non-revenue sports are not receiving the respect they deserve.

The panel looks fair and balanced. All major interests are represented. The panel includes football interests and with that, I rest my case that it is indeed fair.

I still think it is no more than 50/50 the next AD is a man. That aside, people are dreaming if they think the new AD will be able to eliminate, or even de-emphasize, any of the non-revenue sports at the U. That will NEVER happen with U administrators like Mary Jo Kane all of the people she represents ready to run to the Board of Regents, State Legislature and the news media at the slightest hint that non-revenue sports are not receiving the respect they deserve.

If that is true, then there is no hope, period.
We will never be better than mediocre in any sport than matters to 90% of people.
Fold it up now if that's the case, quit jerking people around and admit defeat.
They don't need to cut NR sports, they do need to reprioritize the whole AD drastically.

If that is true, then there is no hope, period.
We will never be better than mediocre in any sport than matters to 90% of people.
Fold it up now if that's the case, quit jerking people around and admit defeat.
They don't need to cut NR sports, they do need to reprioritize the whole AD drastically.
Why would not de-emphasizing non-revenue sports doom the revenue sports to mediocrity?

This is about as fair and balanced as any panel in the history of panels. Of the 25 sports, I think even the curling club has a closet representative or two. Needless to say the candidates will be screened by a 3rd party, who may have interests in women's curling and bob sledding more than our football team, but I don't see anyone digging into them. I bet most of their recruiters are women who only attend football games because their husbands do, but I wouldn't disqualify them from being able to properly screen a candidate. Apparently, we need to revisit human rights on GH about every opening for a job more often, because we haven't come to consensus yet.

Nor should it! For the millionth time, the problem with our reveune sports is neither the women's sports nor the non-revenue sports. We just need to work harder to develop winning programs at the big 3 men's revenue sports, and the rest will take care of itself. IMO, Kill is on the fast track to make sure this happens with the FB program.

I always get a chuckle out of reading the standard responses people have to anything having to do with women's athletics. One woman (who gave $10,000 to the new stadium) who believes in gender equity is on the search panel and all the old men piss their pants.

Wait until you actually see what happens before saying the sky is falling. Or, overreact and sound like sexist dinosaurs. Either way.

Top Bottom