Predicting the 12/3 AP Top 25 poll...

GoldMedalCounty

Reaction score
Do we leap ahead of Kentucky, UNC, NC State, OK State and Colorado in the AP poll come Monday? I'm thinking we definitely jump ahead of the last three mentioned, but I'm afraid both UK and UNC might avoid a severe drop in the polls based on their reputations.

A lot of teams ahead of us stumbled. Creighton also lost to a very bad Boise State team and could take a big fall.

I expect us to be up around 16-18 in the AP Poll and around 20-22 in the Coaches Poll. It'll be interesting to see how the writers vote UNC and Kentucky. I'm looking forward to noon tomorrow.

For the love of Dr. Don, why isn't this a poll?

For what it's worth, Lunardi tweeted that he had us at 11.
https://twitter.com/ESPNLunardi/status/275384022698450945

He still has North Carolina at 14, and Kentucky at 13. I think North Carolina should drop at least a little bit for getting completely dominated by Indiana. Kentucky lost twice this week, I think they should drop a little farther.

I certainly appreciate the love for the Gophers though, a top 15 ranking tomorrow would be awesome.

What is it about the AP poll that gives us a higher ranking than the coach's poll?

People taking their jobs seriously (most of them) and doing the research to know who desrves to be where. Coache's probably put much less thought into it since their job is to coach.

More people listen to and read Columnists than there are people who listen to coaches. :)

If I want someone's opinion on the X's and O's of basketball, I'll listen to a college coach over a columnist 100% of the time without hesitation. If I want someone's opinion on the order of the top 25 rankings, I'm siding with the (respected) columnists who do it as a job and actually pay attention to the results of games. Do you really think the coach's spend time researching the outcomes of all the games? Do you really think they care that much? Their primary concern is to coach (hence their job title), not to accurately rank the top teams in the country.

Gophers are #12 in one of the CBS sports rankings. Seems a little off to me though, Ohio State shouldn't fall all the way to 11 because of a loss to Duke, and Michigan State isn't ranked at all.

But I absolutely love the thought of Kentucky and North Carolina being unranked!

http://www.cbssports.com/collegebas...ge-basketball/21236494/updated-top-25-and-one

He jumped us up 8 spots from the previous week. I'm not so sure we'll see that same sort of jump in the AP Poll but we can hope. A jump into the top 15 (6+ spots) would be pretty unbelievable for beating what appears to be a below average FSU team on the road. The new national publicity that we're getting has to be swaying these a little bit.

My prediction is 17th in the AP poll

He jumped us up 8 spots from the previous week. I'm not so sure we'll see that same sort of jump in the AP Poll but we can hope. A jump into the top 15 (6+ spots) would be pretty unbelievable for beating what appears to be a below average FSU team on the road. The new national publicity that we're getting has to be swaying these a little bit.

Or maybe college basketball in general is just a little down this year outisde of the top 3. Can you really make a case for 15 teams that deserve to be higher than us based on what they've done this year? I don't think so.

I'll go with 16 in AP, 18 in the Coaches

My guess is 15 AP and 19 Coaches

Or maybe college basketball in general is just a little down this year outisde of the top 3. Can you really make a case for 15 teams that deserve to be higher than us based on what they've done this year? I don't think so.

These rankings are not power rankings. They do not change dramatically week to week. Other teams have to come down to us unless we go up to beat them. A lot of teams ahead of us lost and that is a good sign for us to make a significant push. But we are not gonna jump to the upper teens just like that. It doesn't happen that fast. At least it shouldn't if history is any indication.

I'll say 15. Three or four of the teams in front of us may drop all the way out.

These rankings are not power rankings. They do not change dramatically week to week. Other teams have to come down to us unless we go up to beat them. A lot of teams ahead of us lost and that is a good sign for us to make a significant push. But we are not gonna jump to the upper teens just like that. It doesn't happen that fast. At least it shouldn't if history is any indication.

Right, I was just thinking some might be hesitant to believe we're worthy of being ranked that high because they're assuming there are too many teams that are more worthy, which I don't think is the case. With all the teams that lost why couldn't we move up to the mid-upper teens?

Right, I was just thinking some might be hesitant to believe we're worthy of being ranked that high because they're assuming there are too many teams that are more worthy, which I don't think is the case. With all the teams that lost why couldn't we move up to the mid-upper teens?

We definitely could. It's all up to the writers and they might buy into the national hype we've slowly been gaining. It would just be surprising to me. I can't think of many examples where a team jumps 7-9 spots after beating two unranked opponents. But it isn't that often where so many teams ranked 10-20 lose within a matter of days. It's a weird situation. I'll certainly be reloading the polls repeatedly around noon tomorrow in anticipation of seeing us in the same spot that Lunardi has us at!

We definitely could. It's all up to the writers and they might buy into the national hype we've slowly been gaining. It would just be surprising to me. I can't think of many examples where a team jumps 7-9 spots after beating two unranked opponents. But it isn't that often where so many teams ranked 10-20 lose within a matter of days. It's a weird situation. I'll certainly be reloading the polls repeatedly around noon tomorrow in anticipation of seeing us in the same spot that Lunardi has us at!

Exactly. This is why I think we'll jump up more than a team typically would given the week we had.

I think we'll land somewhere around 15 or 16.

We may not move up as much as many of you think. Last night Florida State lost 61-56 at home to a 3-4 Mercer team. That makes the victory over FSU seem less significant.

We may not move up as much as many of you think. Last night Florida State lost 61-56 at home to a 3-4 Mercer team. That makes the victory over FSU seem less significant.

Most of us are counting on everyone else moving down, not so much us moving up.

Top Bottom