Predict the Score Thread: Outback Bowl Edition - Minnesota vs Auburn

GopherHole Staff

GopherHole Admin
Staff member
Reaction score
What say you GopherHole, who wins and what's the score?

If Tanner is not running for his life...Gophers 38 Auburn 31.

If Tanner has a bad day Auburn 31 Gophers 17.

I think the D can keep Auburn in the 28-35 point range. It will be on the O to perform under what appears to be fantastic football conditions. Also, if the refs are going to let them play, then the receivers need to give as good as they get aka not like Wisconsin.

Last edited:

So predicting a loss 3x larger than the betting line makes someone a realist? Good to know.

Auburn is a lot better than Wisconsin, who beat us by about the same 21 point margin. I'll be happy if the Gophers prove me wrong.

Auburn is a lot better than Wisconsin, who beat us by about the same 21 point margin. I'll be happy if the Gophers prove me wrong.
How do you know Auburn is a lot better than Wisconsin?

Gophers beat Penn St. Penn St. beat Iowa. So obviously the Gophers beat Iowa. Even if Auburn was proved to be better than Wisconsin, transitive property doesn't always work.

At least we're in the same boat (see what I did there) about hoping for some Gopher success New Year's Day!!

Gophers 31
Auburn 24

The offense (Morgan especially) had their best games with multiple weeks to prepare (Purdue and Penn State).

Since Martin isn't playing, #55 will be. This is a 17 point difference at middle linebacker.

Auburn 41
Gophers 24

Gophers 28
Auburn 21

Going to be an exciting game! I was worried going into the game the last two games, not this year. I think we'll surprise some folks.

Shootout

Gold Encrusted Gophers: 43

Auburnt Tigers: 37

Auburn beat Alabama and Oregon, nuff said. They will be the best team the Gophers have faced in a long time. Year after year, their recruiting classes are ranked in the top 5 nationally.

Gophers 14 - Auburn 13 in a defensive battle!

Lol!

Reality:
Auburn 35 - Gophers 21 - Gopher offensive line has Morgan running for his life against Auburn D-line.

Gophers 34 Auburn 28 with Antoine Winfield Jr saving the game with an end zone interception in the final minute in his last game as a Gopher. (Hope I'm wrong about it being his last game in Maroon and Gold (or Anthracite Grey))

Gophers 14 - Auburn 13 in a defensive battle!

Lol!

Reality:
Auburn 35 - Gophers 21 - Gopher offensive line has Morgan running for his life against Auburn D-line.
Have to admit this is a concern...

If this unfolds hopefully some backfield scrambling and receivers staying in the play can come up with a big completion or two. Unfortunately this same scenario screams possibility of huge ints for the other guys. Fortunately weather will not be a factor.

The way Minnesota beat Wisconsin last year was by keeping their offense off the field. The Gophers won the TOP battle by almost 10 minutes. This year, we held the ball for over 42 minutes versus Maryland.
I know this is stating the obvious, but I think TOP will be the most important stat in this game. Long, sustained drives with a lot of 4 yard plays might serve us better than hitting on a handful of 20 yard receptions.
I'm going to take the homer route and predict a lot of short slants, a lot of Rodney Smith and Mo Ibrahim (I think he's got a lot of yards he's ready to uncork). with the final score:

Minnesota 34 Auburn 27

Gophers 37
Auburn 35

Crazy fun game where new playcallers eschew the run and Morgan and Bateman go insane.

Top Bottom