Potts and MBS in portal

Which is crazy considering Minnesota has 7 and is a much smaller state that isn’t as much of a football state
Fleck should be taking a much closer look at some of these western PA kids. Good word (local coaches) says he doesn’t recruit the area. Not sure why not. There are a lot of quality kids in western PA who would do well in Fleck’s system.

I don't know what quality this data is, and it's from the 2021-22 school year, so that may still have affected things with covid? https://www.nfhs.org/media/5989280/2021-22_participation_survey.pdf

But I'm quite shocked at how relatively low the number of participants is for Pennsylvania. They have a state population of about 13M, close to twice that of Minn. But Minn has more high school boys basketball participants and it's only 20k vs 25k for football (40k in Ohio).

I thought maybe PA has a separate organization for private schools, but that doesn't appear to be true? PIAA for both?

Would've preferred to have kept Potts.

It doesn't take much to be forced to play running backs 3-5.
He was not good enough last year to be on the field for a FBS program. If the Gophers had to play him next year then they were in trouble anyway.

Out of the two of them I expect MBS to be more successful. Having a case of the dropsies is fixable. Potts' lack of explosive speed / power might not be.

We'll obviously never know, but a person can still wonder that if Potts had either retired or transfered before last year, would Irving have stayed?

Guessing not, but we'll never know ...

I don't know what quality this data is, and it's from the 2021-22 school year, so that may still have affected things with covid? https://www.nfhs.org/media/5989280/2021-22_participation_survey.pdf

But I'm quite shocked at how relatively low the number of participants is for Pennsylvania. They have a state population of about 13M, close to twice that of Minn. But Minn has more high school boys basketball participants and it's only 20k vs 25k for football (40k in Ohio).

I thought maybe PA has a separate organization for private schools, but that doesn't appear to be true? PIAA for both?
just a quick note G4L - on page 58 it says that the number of boys bball participants for MN is much less than PA. But your football numbers seem to be close. I don’t have an answer for this apparent participation discrepancy, but note that Minnesotans are an active people.

We'll obviously never know, but a person can still wonder that if Potts had either retired or transfered before last year, would Irving have stayed?

Guessing not, but we'll never know ...
There is no way someone worried about Potts as competition would have transferred to Oregon.

Maybe Thomas but not Bucky.

just a quick note G4L - on page 58 it says that the number of boys bball participants for MN is much less than PA. But your football numbers seem to be close. I don’t have an answer for this apparent participation discrepancy, but note that Minnesotans are an active people.
Whoops, I goofed that up! I was looking at the columns for golf!! LOL

Yep definitely very interesting. (Again, assuming these numbers are solid and not still highly influenced by covid)

MN - state pop 5.7M - football 20.7k (0.36 %) - basketball 13.7k (0.24 %)
OH - state pop 11.8M - football 40.3k (0.34 %) - basketball 21.2k (0.18 %)
PA - state pop 13M - football 25k (0.19 %) - basketball 21.4k (0.16 %)

Pennsylvania definitely still way down. Wild guess that a lot of it is due to more extreme poverty in Philly, by a larger chunk of population. Ohio doesn't have a metro like Philly, as while I'm sure there are parts of Cleveland and Cincy with extreme poverty, those are relatively smaller places.

Minnesota doesn't have nearly as much of that sort of thing. We are lucky to live here (other than the damn winters).

Whoops, I goofed that up! I was looking at the columns for golf!! LOL

Yep definitely very interesting. (Again, assuming these numbers are solid and not still highly influenced by covid)

MN - state pop 5.7M - football 20.7k (0.36 %) - basketball 13.7k (0.24 %)
OH - state pop 11.8M - football 40.3k (0.34 %) - basketball 21.2k (0.18 %)
PA - state pop 13M - football 25k (0.19 %) - basketball 21.4k (0.16 %)

Pennsylvania definitely still way down. Wild guess that a lot of it is due to more extreme poverty in Philly, by a larger chunk of population. Ohio doesn't have a metro like Philly, as while I'm sure there are parts of Cleveland and Cincy with extreme poverty, those are relatively smaller places.

Minnesota doesn't have nearly as much of that sort of thing. We are lucky to live here (other than the damn winters).
yeah I can’t really hypothesize on the small percentage of football participants in PA. Maybe the numbers are wrong, or maybe we’re missing something obvious. One hypothesis: maybe the average school class size in PA is higher, which would decrease the number of varsity participants per sport? That’s just a wild guess. lol

Good for him getting closer to home, but he's going to be buried down the depth chart there as bad as he was going to be here. 3rd string at best.
This might be a home + school decision… wrapped in a football scholarship kinda situation.

Close to home and veteran presence in locker room. Seems like a win/win

I guess the Penn State coaching staff is clueless. Gopher Hole wrote off Potts after his injury.

I'm not surprised at all by this.

After Mo went down in '21 and before Potts got hurt against Purdue, Potts was actually leading the B1G in rushing. People forget that.

He took a bit of time to get back to form last season, and after all we still have no idea what injury he actually suffered.

I can see Franklin and Co. saying, hey; this is a low risk, high potential reward signing.

I think there's a chance Trey does quite well in Happy Valley.

Top Bottom