Potts and MBS in portal

I guess the Penn State coaching staff is clueless. Gopher Hole wrote off Potts after his injury.

I'm not surprised at all by this.

After Mo went down in '21 and before Potts got hurt against Purdue, Potts was actually leading the B1G in rushing. People forget that.

He took a bit of time to get back to form last season, and after all we still have no idea what injury he actually suffered.

I can see Franklin and Co. saying, hey; this is a low risk, high potential reward signing.

I think there's a chance Trey does quite well in Happy Valley.
No one did that. We said he wouldn't be a very good starter in the Big 10.

He'll be a third stringer (at best) there. I don't think any Gopher fan didn't think he could be our third string RB.

Probably a dream for him to play for the home state PSU, gets to go closer to home. Good for him.

Getting real sick of these in-conference transfers, though.

I don't know what quality this data is, and it's from the 2021-22 school year, so that may still have affected things with covid? https://www.nfhs.org/media/5989280/2021-22_participation_survey.pdf

But I'm quite shocked at how relatively low the number of participants is for Pennsylvania. They have a state population of about 13M, close to twice that of Minn. But Minn has more high school boys basketball participants and it's only 20k vs 25k for football (40k in Ohio).

I thought maybe PA has a separate organization for private schools, but that doesn't appear to be true? PIAA for both?
Western PA and PA as a whole has an heavy elderly population. With the decline of steel, closure of schools, the football numbers aren't what they used to be. Those players in general came from immigrant families that came to work in the mills.

Western PA and PA as a whole has an heavy elderly population. With the decline of steel, closure of schools, the football numbers aren't what they used to be. Those players in general came from immigrant families that came to work in the mills.
All the Right Moves!

He'll be a third stringer (at best) there. I don't think any Gopher fan didn't think he could be our third string RB.

Wait... what? Huh?

Plenty did from what I remember.

It has been stated on Gopher Hole that Potts is not a B1G starter. I disagree. He is a more-than-solid B1G player, when healthy. I think there's a good chance he does well at Penn State.

It has been stated on Gopher Hole that Potts is not a B1G starter. I disagree. He is a more-than-solid B1G player, when healthy. I think there's a good chance he does well at Penn State.
He's not a Big 10 starter. It's fine if you disagree. But you disagree with PJ Fleck, me, James Franklin and every other coach in the Big 10. No one offered him a chance to start, certainly not Penn State.

Hint - check their roster.

Wait... what? Huh?
It looks like you were able to answer your own question.

As I said, no one wrote him off, we just thought he shouldn't be a starter.

You then posted the following, so I see you were able to decipher my post.

Plenty did from what I remember.
It depends on your definition of "write off" I guess. We thought he shouldn't be a starter in the Big 10 and we'd be in serious trouble if he was our starter. He would have been fine for depth.

If that's writing him off, I guess I wrote him off. But so did PJ and every other coach in the Big 10.

It depends on your definition of "write off" I guess. We thought he shouldn't be a starter in the Big 10 and we'd be in serious trouble if he was our starter. He would have been fine for depth.

If that's writing him off, I guess I wrote him off. But so did PJ and every other coach in the Big 10.
I wrote that we will miss him if injuries occur. I was ripped by more than a few who claimed that Potts was terrible...which is ridiculous.

I wrote that we will miss him if injuries occur. I was ripped by more than a few who claimed that Potts was terrible...which is ridiculous.
Yeah, I definitely could have missed something. From how I understand it, the Potts "critics" just didn't think he should be starting and that he might not even be our 3rd stringer next year. That still sort of depends on your definition of writing him off, I think we'd miss him as much as we'd miss any other 3rd string RB.

I think he can still contribute in the Big 10 if given the opportunity.

You're right about the numbers but football is still king in Western PA. It's still shocking the number of blue chip recruits that come out of Pittsburgh and surrounding counties.

Population collapse is really going to be a major hurdle for the entire country as most places have been able to somewhat replace their declining native populations with immigrant populations, but there are very few immigrants in Pittsburgh. I believe it has the fewest non-student immigrants of any major metro area in the country.

One of my largest clients was in Pittsburgh, so I actually spent at least a week every month there from 2014-2020. My apartment had waitlisted availability until the pandemic hit and then it was completely empty (with the exception of a ballet school renting out entire floors for dorms because they wanted to provide social distancing). As much as I hated having an apartment amongst a bunch of 22 year old ballerinas, it was really odd. I was the only person on my floor.

It's a great city but it feels like it still has some readjustment pains coming its way.

Penn St fans report that they are set at the 1 & 2 starting spots for RB and have had guys transfer out because of it and just want some depth / someone(s) on the chart who isn’t leaving.

Being a solid player is not the same as being a starter...it might help if you stay on message.

He may be a fine player...he likely won't be #1 on the depth chart barring injuries or defections.

He wasn't terrible in the least bit but him not being here won't make our break the season.

There was a lot of bad hyperbole from both sides of this argument which was unneeded.

Scout on Potts from a Penn State site. Seems serviceable, not spectacular. Anything to add or correct?

I don't think the bolded is factually correct.

1) After Ibrahim went down in '21, Potts was, indeed, the starter. First off the bench. He started in front of Bucky Irving and Ky Thomas. Potts eventually went down himself, but not before he did well enough to lead the B1G in rushing. And the team was certainly not 'in trouble' with him starting.

2) Yes, Potts played behind Ibrahim. There aren't too many college backs who would start in front of Mo. That seems obvious.

3) In 2022, Potts looked as if he was still slowed somewhat by his injury.

I look for him to do well at Penn State.

Last edited:

He is calling bs on your statement...and I concur.

Oh?

What exactly did I say that you consider to be bullshit?

If someone has an opinion that differs from yours on a subjective matter (such as how good Player A is), does that automatically mean they're full of bs? Maybe it means they simply don't agree with you. You might want to consider that, Dave.

He wasn't terrible in the least bit but him not being here won't make our break the season.

There was a lot of bad hyperbole from both sides of this argument which was unneeded.
Yep, gets frustrating how determined some are to always go to the extremes when it rarely is the case.

Potts was a solid back, he looked great when he filled in for Mo in 2021 before he got hurt. In 2022 he was ok but didn't look like the same player. Tough to know how much of that might have been due to the injury.

In 2023 he would have made for a solid backup option but he was unlikely to be the #1 guy. He will most likely be in a similar position at Penn State but he is from the area so makes sense for him to want to get back closer to home for the remainder of his college career.

Always sucks to lose depth but it is what it is in the transfer portal era with guys moving around constantly.

Yep, gets frustrating how determined some are to always go to the extremes when it rarely is the case.

Potts was a solid back, he looked great when he filled in for Mo in 2021 before he got hurt. In 2022 he was ok but didn't look like the same player. Tough to know how much of that might have been due to the injury.

In 2023 he would have made for a solid backup option but he was unlikely to be the #1 guy. He will most likely be in a similar position at Penn State but he is from the area so makes sense for him to want to get back closer to home for the remainder of his college career.

Always sucks to lose depth but it is what it is in the transfer portal era with guys moving around constantly.
I'll always wonder if Potts had a different scheme to run in if it would be a bit different.

He doesn't find holes or dance around anything like Mo did.

But when he ran fast from the start and hit the hole immediately it felt like that was more effective for him. Having said that... that type of run probably is less flexible / easier to stop / really allows for one opportunity to work and that hole better be there or the run is over. Still it felt like Potts did better in those cases. It's possibly another team gives him a few more of those style situations if something happens with the 1 and 2 guys at Penn State.

Oh?

What exactly did I say that you consider to be bullshit?

If someone has an opinion that differs from yours on a subjective matter (such as how good Player A is), does that automatically mean they're full of bs? Maybe it means they simply don't agree with you. You might want to consider that, Dave.

Almost all of it. Hell you can't even keep your arguments straight in your own posts. You act like because you read a few people on Gopherhole be dicks about Potts that that means everyone thought that way. Even leaving aside that 90% of GH doesn't agree on anything the logic behind such a hyperbolic statement is ludicrous and bullshit.

Your opinion on Potts isn't the bullshit...the bullshit is the other stuff you said. You can think whatever you want about Potts, hell I hope you are right he seems like a good kid and I am glad he got an opportunity. But that isn't what any of this is about.

The last paragraph of your post are the most delicious though...because the hypocrisy of them is just dripping. Have you ever actually read a post by you? (btw many of them I agree with...I am often on your side of the argument) This whole argument started because you are mocking the opinion of people you disagree with...I mean come on man be a bit more self aware.

I'll always wonder if Potts had a different scheme to run in if it would be a bit different.

He doesn't find holes or dance around anything like Mo did.

But when he ran fast from the start and hit the hole immediately it felt like that was more effective for him. Having said that... that type of run probably is less flexible / easier to stop / really allows for one opportunity to work and that hole better be there or the run is over. Still it felt like Potts did better in those cases. It's possibly another team gives him a few more of those style situations if something happens with the 1 and 2 guys at Penn State.

To me Potts (and a few of the RBs that year) were a product of a great line that could physically dominate the LOS. That isn't to say he wasn't good, but he didn't have to create yardage on his own he could just do as you say, start fast and go. It would often be 3-4 yards before he was touched and he has enough speed and talent to really turn that into something great. Last year our line was not nearly as good. He was put in positions where he might have to wait on a hole or create for himself and that just isn't his game. Add in he probably was hampered by the injury and it was just never going to go good. It sucks...

I guess the Penn State coaching staff is clueless. Gopher Hole wrote off Potts after his injury.

I'm not surprised at all by this.

After Mo went down in '21 and before Potts got hurt against Purdue, Potts was actually leading the B1G in rushing. People forget that.

He took a bit of time to get back to form last season, and after all we still have no idea what injury he actually suffered.

I can see Franklin and Co. saying, hey; this is a low risk, high potential reward signing.

I think there's a chance Trey does quite well in Happy Valley.
They don't have much depth at RB. It is a win, win scenario.

Top Bottom