Postgame Observations

I dream of the day that the program is at a point where we can be pissed off about a Big10 win on the road.

On Gopherhole you learn new things every day. Wins don't count as wins if you took advantage of turnovers to get them. They should probably just take turnovers out of the game. It seems like a design flaw.

On Gopherhole you learn new things every day. Wins don't count as wins if you took advantage of turnovers to get them. They should probably just take turnovers out of the game. It seems like a design flaw.
Just think of what Iowa's records would have been in years past if they did that.

Remember when we looked pedestrian against South Dakota State and then beat Auburn in the Outback Bowl?

A win is a win. Every game is different.

I thought for a second that Ryan Santoso is playing QB for Purdue. Jack Plumber is 6' 5" Aidan O'connell at 6' 3" is not quite the height of Santoso. The resemblance thru the helmet was there for a second.

The break couldn't have come for another reason. Part of the dismal passing game may be because Morgan and the WRs needed time to get in sync and develop trust.

TM and the OL need to get into the Gophers RPO synchronicity and get those short laser crossing passes working. Mo is Mo. The Gophers need to adapt Potts' and Irving's style of running into their offense.

They need to learn how to play to the strengths of their RBs. Mo spoiled the Offense. Now, they have to work hard and earn every victory for the rest of the season.

I like that they are throwing long passes even though CAB was unable to grab them in the first half.

Is Dylan Wright hurt?
No -- Dylan Wright had to go to a funeral for a high school teammate who was killed in Utah. So --- he is ok physically anyways but we should get him back at full strength for Nebraska.

............and great -- they merged my observation thread which I thought had some good points into a garbage thread which had no good points and prob should have just been deleted....

Didn’t read past page one of this thread, this place is weird. Been a member forever, but mostly just lurk. So many are negative, I get it, been a MN sports fan longer than “most” you, seen it all. But my thoughts..

What a difference a week makes. Right now last week, I was so salty, that game was actually funny it was so bad. Snapped out of it by Wednesday with the attitude that a lot of weird shit happened, let’s see what they do this week.

Most of the first half was barely watchable, and yeah, it was f-ing Purdue. But game being played in a monsoon, down a lot of players, and they battled like hell to escape with a road win. It was very entertaining and was glued to the TV the whole 2nd half. Like most of you, just waiting to see how we would f it up, like all MN teams do.

Now much needed bye week before NE on the 16th. Hopefully Bell and Wright are both back and 100% and see what happens.

Also, loling at Becky.
:clap:
:lol:

Good Saturday

He played terrible last week and deserved some criticism but he was great today
I don't think he was great today. He didn't let the fact that some balls were dropped or that the OL play was spotty... but he got the job done, despite that. More importantly, to me, is he didn't do anything to hurt his team. The solid, dependable game manager is back... and that might be good enough.

I doubt we will ever see 2019 Tanner Morgan again, and that's OK. I'm perfectly happy that we didn't have to witness last week's QB...

I'll take a win like that every single time, but someone said Fleck outcoached Brohm. Purdue dominated much of the game. 28 first downs to 12. We won the turnover battle and won. No way was Brohm outcoached, though.
I don't think Brohm necessarily was outcoached by Fleck, but I'm not sure if the first downs tell you much. This had a lot to do with the fact that Purdue sold out a bit to stop the run. We were going to have fewer first downs because we had much bigger plays. When you throw the ball 50+ times and you only have 1 play go for more than 30, you're also likely going to have significantly more negative plays (sacks, TOs, Ints.).

I'm not saying Brohm had the wrong gameplan, I think it worked for them. I just don't think pointing to the first downs was indicative of outcoaching the other way. The truth is that we are a weird blocking penalty and two drops away from winning that game by 14+

I don't think he was great today. He didn't let the fact that some balls were dropped or that the OL play was spotty... but he got the job done, despite that. More importantly, to me, is he didn't do anything to hurt his team. The solid, dependable game manager is back... and that might be good enough.

I doubt we will ever see 2019 Tanner Morgan again, and that's OK. I'm perfectly happy that we didn't have to witness last week's QB...
See, I'm not sure if you didn't see a pretty close version to the 2019 Morgan today. If you add those two drops to his numbers (and they were EASY balls), his numbers are looking really good today. I can't think of any bad throws that he made, I can't think of any scenario where he held onto the ball too long. He probably should have been 10-18 240 yards and 2 TDs. That's a pretty good stat line in these conditions against that defense.

I am sure the Gophers are glad to get out of West Lafayette. The weather, the announcers, and the refs were all against them.

The announcing is like listening to cat scratching. I'd rather listen to the old Casa de Autos commercials.

Last edited:

I am watching the game on DVR as I had a soccer game to go to. I am marveling at the number of beefcakes that the Gophers have on the Offensive Line. It is awesome when they have eight linemen and TEs blocking.

If only Morgan has an extra 0.25 seconds, many of those long passes will connect.

I don't think Brohm is that great of a coach.

I think some on here would prefer his pass pass pass offense
Agreed. I prefer to win. DiNardo on BTN had a good take on how Purdue's unbalanced offense isn't all it's cut out to be.

I don't mind that win, the players played gutsy... coaching wasn't blaringly bad. My only complaint was the pass play designs. Must have had Morgan chuck it deep 5 or 6 times. At least it wasn't all run run run punt like usual.

Top Bottom