Post Game Thread - SOUND OFF: Gophers get back on winning track by dominating Rutgers

For the most part, Rutgers has done that against bad teams. Here are their results for the season:

1) a 1 point win over 2-6 Boston College
2) a huge win over a really terrible FCS team (Wagner)
3) a 2 point win over 2-6 Temple
4) a 17 point loss to Iowa, a credible team that is weak offensively
5) a 10-49 loss to OSU (it must be said that they held OSU to 413 yards total offense - surpassed by only Iowa and Notre Dame)
6) a 1 point loss to 3-5 Nebraska
7) a 1 score win over 3-5 Indiana
8) a blowout loss to us

Wisconsin is allowing 5.3 yards per play compared to Rutgers' 4.7 but Wisconsin's schedule to date includes 4 P5 teams with records of .500 or better (OSU, Illinois, Purdue, and Wash St).

So, for the record... are Iowa and Wisconsin good teams, bad teams, or (homage To Barrierro) mediocre teams?

Yeah if you introduce balance then… you get less yards because half the balance is not as good.

Yay?
So you believe the running game is better when the defense has to cover a small part of the field than it would be if defense was covering a larger field?

So, for the record... are Iowa and Wisconsin good teams, bad teams, or (homage To Barrierro) mediocre teams?

Well, given that Iowa has beaten us 7 straight times and their defense and special teams are great, we can't consider them a bad team (or a mediocre team). Yes, their offense has been weak but they need less offense than most other team to win. Wisconsin has been inconsistent this season to say the least but they can still rise to the occasion (they handled Purdue pretty comfortably) and Mertz is better than his reputation with some posters on this board would lead one to believe.

So you believe the running game is better when the defense has to cover a small part of the field than it would be if defense was covering a larger field?
I think the running game has been more productive than the passing game.

Well, given that Iowa has beaten us 7 straight times and their defense and special teams are great, we can't consider them a bad team (or a mediocre team). Yes, their offense has been weak but they need less offense than most other team to win. Wisconsin has been inconsistent this season to say the least but they can still rise to the occasion (they handled Purdue pretty comfortably) and Mertz is better than his reputation with some posters on this board would lead one to believe.

Okay, good. So if the Gophers can manage to beat those two teams, that will be an accomplishment worth celebrating.

I only point this out because it seems as though some people (not referring to you here) frown upon anybody getting a little too happy about certain Gopher wins. I'm glad to know that victories over Iowa and/or Wisconsin are still considered worthy accomplishments.

Okay, good. So if the Gophers can manage to beat those two teams, that will be an accomplishment worth celebrating.

I only point this out because it seems as though some people (not referring to you here) frown upon anybody getting a little too happy about certain Gopher wins. I'm glad to know that victories over Iowa and/or Wisconsin are still considered worthy accomplishments.

People feel that way after yesterday's game because they believe (probably rightfully so) that those two teams aren't going to let us rush for 250+ yards and they're still not seeing a passing game (mainly due to our receivers not being able to get open very often for larger passing yards). Wisconsin has given over 200 rushing yards only to Ohio State and Iowa gave up only 200 rushing yards (even) to Illinois.

Yes, beating those two teams will be accomplishments (Iowa because we haven't beaten them since 2014 and Wisconsin because that would likely be our only regular season win over a team with a winning record).

People feel that way after yesterday's game because they believe (probably rightfully so) that those two teams aren't going to let us rush for 250+ yards and they're still not seeing a passing game (mainly due to our receivers not being able to get open very often for larger passing yards). Wisconsin has given over 200 rushing yards only to Ohio State and Iowa gave up only 200 rushing yards (even) to Illinois.

Yes, beating those two teams will be accomplishments (Iowa because we haven't beaten them since 2014 and Wisconsin because that would likely be our only regular season win over a team with a winning record).

Thanks. That's all I wanted to know. You answered my question directly and respectfully. Much Obliged.

For the record, I agree.

I think the running game has been more productive than the passing game.
That's too obvious to be in dispute and it's not the question. Would the run game be even more effective if 11 defensive players are forced to defend two or three times as much field?

Great teams like OSU, Georgia, and Tennessee have excellent running games. They could all win most weeks relying just on the run game. Yet they throw all over the field, putting unbearable strain on the defense.

That's too obvious to be in dispute and it's not the question. Would the run game be even more effective if 11 defensive players are forced to defend two or three times as much field?

Great teams like OSU, Georgia, and Tennessee have excellent running games. They could all win most weeks relying just on the run game. Yet they throw all over the field, putting unbearable strain on the defense.
Everyone knows we run better than pass … they will play that more often regardless. The scenario is already playing out and we run better.

And still the passing is not great.

You don’t just pass better because you ran more plays and go 3 and out because you call… your weaker offensive plays…

The difference between us and Tennessee isn’t a handful more passes.

Top Bottom