Post Game Thread - SOUND OFF: Gophers get back on winning track by dominating Rutgers

GopherHole Staff

GopherHole Admin
Staff member
Reaction score
What say you GopherHolers, you feeling better after todays game?!

Offense still has work to do but we saw some critical long 3rd downs converted that were important in maintaining control.

Defense had the night’s light turned OFF.

Mo is AMAZING!

I like the W. I like the shutout.

I think that the score is not reflective of the game, especially the snoozefest from about 12:59 in the 3rd quarter to 8:45 in the 4th quarter. (Times are approximate) This could easily have ended up 17-0 but for Rutgers coming out of the snoozefest after us.

Overall, very happy about a 31-0 win. Defense played great, Nubin is a stud. Joyner needs to play more often. He might be our best DE.

Still concerned with the conservative gameplans. Very little attempts at throwing downfield. What was the longest pass attempt by Morgan today? I think there was maybe 1 that was over 10 yards in the air past the LOS. The problem is we get into games where we can’t just pound the ball and hold the ball for long drives and then we can’t adapt. I don’t blame Morgan a whole lot. In virtually ever pass play today the 1st read was a short route.

Let’s go get Nebraska next week!

Nice game by Jackson. Six catches. He caught everything catchable thrown at him. We need other receivers to step up like that. Not a lot of yards, but the dink-n-dunk offense was the flavor of the day for the Gophs. He was wide open on multiple crossing routes but Morgan didn't go to him on those.

Last edited:

Look, we play "not to lose" offense. I get it.

But, our D is damn good. Give us a QB that can run and we have a chance to win the Big10
Our defense got lit up last week. Illinois dominated our defense.

But yes, just a QB away from winning the b1g

All the offense lacked was mud or dust for this B1G tilt. ….

One thing I do not understand is, up 24-0, game in hand, 7 minutes left, and Morgan is shuttled out to finish the game. I guess we will wait until the opener against Nebraska next year and throw AK8 out to trade blows against a 5th year Sr, instead of giving him some time now. I think this is nuts. Please explain.

Overall, very happy about a 31-0 win. Defense played great, Nubin is a stud. Joyner needs to play more often. He might be our best DE.

Still concerned with the conservative gameplans. Very little attempts at throwing downfield. What was the longest pass attempt by Morgan today? I think there was maybe 1 that was over 10 yards in the air past the LOS. The problem is we get into games where we can’t just pound the ball and hold the ball for long drives and then we can’t adapt. I don’t blame Morgan a whole lot. In virtually ever pass play today the 1st read was a short route.

My thoughts exactly. Nebraska will want to play racehorse football next week, if they get up, we have no answer.

Last edited:

The conservative gameplans...

I mean the following respectfully, and I am not trying to start an argument:

Would you say the strength of our offense is Mo running the ball hard? I certainly would.

Our QB play has been so-so, and our receivers — including the tight ends! — are below average at getting separation and catching the football. BSF dropped a sure TD, right in his hands, today.

Yes, you're right: our one-dimensional offense is a problem against good teams. And yes, you're right, it would be nice to have a better passing attack.

But we don't. We do not. What we have is what we have. So we have to win the only way we can. We have to play to our strengths.

As far as beating better teams in concerned, do you really think inserting young Kaliakmanis and throwing 40 times a game, including multiple deep throws, will accomplish that? Will the pass blocking hold up? Will the receivers and tight ends suddenly stop dropping sure TD passes? I mean... we saw Penn State.

Penn State is a good team. And I would give Athan an "A" for his performance in that game, because he did all he could do. But the deck was stacked against him. Our o-line is far better in run-blocking than pass-blocking, and our receivers are substandard.

Last edited:

A win is a win and nice to have a shutout for once, but a mighty dull game it was, with a three yards and a cloud of dust mentality reminiscent of Woody Hayes. That likely won't work against some of the better teams we face in the next few weeks. Would love to have seen Athan in there in the fourth quarter to get much needed experience.
Nebraska looked good, though losing to Illinois, holding them to a lot of field goals, but the Huskers lost their QB to a throwing arm injury, so that might make a difference next week. Obviously, I'd like to see a more wide-open offense from the Gophers. What they did today worked today - against Rutgers - but Iowa and Wisconsin are not Rutgers.

Actually thought #8 might get a snap or two in the 4th Quarter...

I agree with your first paragraph. The playing style was pretty conservative but it seemed to me that the receivers weren't getting much separation again today. For that reason, I want to give special thanks to Tanner. He didn't pick up a lot of yards per throw but he threaded the needle in the midst of close defenders regularly.

There are still reasons to be concerned with the offense going forward. Most teams are not going to give us 250 rushing yards and we need some bigger passing plays. I'm also concerned that we seem to have given up the idea of even trying for passing touchdowns.

One thing I do not understand is, up 24-0, game in hand, 7 minutes left, and Morgan is shuttled out to finish the game. I guess we will wait until the opener against Nebraska next year and throw AK8 out to trade blows against a 5th year Sr, instead of giving him some time now. I think this is nuts. Please explain.
We are running out the game anyway…

Just got back home from watching an uninspiring football in an uninspired atmosphere reflecting the coaching effort.

I agree with your first paragraph. The playing style was pretty conservative but it seemed to me that the receivers weren't getting much separation again today. For that reason, I want to give special thanks to Tanner. He didn't pick up a lot of yards per throw but he threaded the needle in the midst of close defenders regularly.

There are still reasons to be concerned with the offense going forward. Most teams are not going to give us 250 rushing yards and we need some bigger passing plays. I'm also concerned that we seem to have given up the idea of even trying for passing touchdowns.
Yes, two of Tanner's memorable completions was hitting receivers running three-yard routes on third and 14.

Top Bottom