Post Game Thread: OSU Blows Out Minnesota

Sadly, exactly what I expected n luckily could not watch the game ……..

PJ Fleck is weak minded fool, and weak for punting after setting up the punts with worthless 3rd down running plays in first half. He didn't even try to give his team a chance to win. OSU is great, but our head coach handcuffed his own team with his playcalling philosophy. Gophers QB isn't very good.

Posted in another thread, but if PJ makes no changes to his staff this off-season I will be upset. Even if PJ got completely out of the way on offense, I don't have confidence that the current offensive staff could coach the offense successfully.

Rossi gets a pass because of past performances, but a short leash next year. Defense needs to be close to or back to form next year.

Why not play to win? We didn’t do that. Must be because we are looking to Wisconsin.

If bringing in "his" boys to run his offense (and coach his QBs) is the hill PJ Fleck has decided to die on... He's in a lot of trouble. All he has to do is look back at what happened to the last Slogan-slingin' head coach we had here in Minnesota. Tim Brewster made mistake after mistake with the offense and was never able to bring in the offensive coordinator that could get the job done, so to speak. I think he's a tight ends coach for Colorado, now.

Going into that game, you know your odds of winning are slim. So you can approach it two ways: go for broke and try anything you can think of -- or go vanilla and try to keep the score down.

PJ did what he always does - the no risk, no reward route. Maybe that's all he can do with the available talent. But he recruited that talent.....

It's time to be done with being ok to being mediocre. I really thought PJ was the guy. He's nothing but a modern Glen Mason. We are going backwards. It's either step up to the plate and play with the big boys or admit we're 2nd to 3rd tier team.

Going into that game, you know your odds of winning are slim. So you can approach it two ways: go for broke and try anything you can think of -- or go vanilla and try to keep the score down.

PJ did what he always does - the no risk, no reward route. Maybe that's all he can do with the available talent. But he recruited that
Not clear he gives that talent enough chances to succeed. Third down calls when we were inside OSU territory during the first half were akin to raising a white flag … when the score was still close. Wrong message to team, esp. because we seem to be the worst team in the B1G coming out of the halftime break.

Playing for next year already.… let’s see what happens with the axe game.

Nobody expected tOSU to be only to be up 13-0 at the Half, including you.
I hope I’m reading this wrong- are you acting like that’s an accomplishment? 13-0 is a fairly standard halftime score for an elite team against a mediocre team- it’s almost always the second half when the blowouts solidify.

I hope I’m reading this wrong- are you acting like that’s an accomplishment? 13-0 is a fairly standard halftime score for an elite team against a mediocre team- it’s almost always the second half when the blowouts solidify.

No. That would be a very stupid way to read that. It was responding to a post where someone said that it went "Pretty much went how we all expected."

Did you post that it would be 13-0 at the Half? Don't remember anybody doing that.

Having been there live, was one of the more disheartening losses of the fleck era. Came in with no intention of winning, were happy with being down “just 13” at half and made no attempt at trying to make some plays when OSU couldn’t stomp on us early. This team has no “punch” or “fight” and that’s on PJ. Officially falling away to the camp where he has to re convince me he actually could ever pull off a signature win

I just find so odd is so many fans and media in this town said win the Pig and Axe and go to a Bowl and we will be so happy with any coach. Yet now they still want heads to roll!!
You think if PJ wins next week that people will want PJ to be fired?

You also understand that people can say that PJ coached an awful game without wanting him canned, right?

Having been there live, was one of the more disheartening losses of the fleck era. Came in with no intention of winning, were happy with being down “just 13” at half and made no attempt at trying to make some plays when OSU couldn’t stomp on us early. This team has no “punch” or “fight” and that’s on PJ. Officially falling away to the camp where he has to re convince me he actually could ever pull off a signature win
The didn't try is worrisome and we won't get into pulling an ineffective QB.

You think if PJ wins next week that people will want PJ to be fired?

You also understand that people can say that PJ coached an awful game without wanting him canned, right?
Yep....I am a huge supporter of Fleck and I hope he is here a long long time.....but as I put in thread I started during the game.....I can't get behind punting multiple times from Ohio State territory.

Honestly felt like he threw in the towel right from the beginning and was just playing out the game knowing we were going to lose. And honestly, even if we are more aggressive in the first half we probably still lose but good lord at least try.

Almost seems that the coach has lost these boys.... I hope not, but since the 2nd half of the Northwestern game, this has been a complete dumpster fire.

Look, this goes back to the same argument that Gopher fans have been having for decades: what are the reasonable expectations for this program?

Under Mason, Kill and Claeys, the Gophers generally won 7 or 8 games most seasons and went to a mid-level bowl. Mason had a 10-win season. Claeys had a 9-win season. but some fans (not all fans) said MN should be able to go to "the next level" - which included playing for or even winning a conference title, and playing in the Rose Bowl or another Bowl game of similar stature.

I will stipulate that Fleck has had a higher winning % and has produced two 9-win season and an 11-win season. But - he has not played for a conference title or won a conference title. He did play in a New Year's Day bowl game. (so did Jerry Kill)

So MN got a taste of what the Next Level might be - and now it appears the program is slipping back to the old level of Mason, Kill and Claeys.

that's what stings - to have the promise of something better dangled in front of our eyes, only to see it fade away like a mirage in the desert. so people are upset.

I just find so odd is so many fans and media in this town said win the Pig and Axe and go to a Bowl and we will be so happy with any coach. Yet now they still want heads to roll!!
So you are ok with mediocre?

Top Bottom