Post Game Thread: OSU Blows Out Minnesota

Sorry to see some Gopher fans succumbing to PYROMANIA FEVER. It is not time to try to “…fire…” the program’s way out of this disappointment. I hope the kids/young men on the team can keep things in better perspective than to resort to extreme awfulization, anger and despair about a tough season.

Chins up! Beat the stinking badger, Gopher!

Sorry to see some Gopher fans succumbing to PYROMANIA FEVER. It is not time to try to “…fire…” the program’s way out of this disappointment. I hope the kids/young men on the team can keep things in better perspective than to resort to extreme awfulization, anger and despair about a tough season.

Expectations have been raised. This is a good thing.

Along with that comes greater disappointment when a season does not go well. That's this season in spades.

All that can be done now is just win The Axe to take a little of the sting away. That will be tougher to do if Braelon is on the field. Regardless, we'll be there in the stands for sure.

I did not expect much yesterday but how it happened was what disappointed me. The long TD run on first play from scrimmage in 2nd half. Then we fumble on ensuing possession, they score off that. Then we throw a pick. I think All of this happened before I even got my second half beer at the bar. Ouch

Even bigger at the coaching positions than at the player level?
Generally speaking, true. But can anyone say with certainty that Ryan Day is a good head coach? How would you know that? There are several hundred assistant coaches in college football that could manage that talent successfully.

I did not expect much yesterday but how it happened was what disappointed me. The long TD run on first play from scrimmage in 2nd half. Then we fumble on ensuing possession, they score off that. Then we throw a pick. I think All of this happened before I even got my second half beer at the bar. Ouch
Instead of getting a second half beer at the bar, why not just drink the whole first one?

So many said 7 wins and they will get 6. Nobody said they would get 9/10 so stop acting like they should have done so much better. Bucky, Hawks and a Bowl with this schedule…I will take that this year.
Who was predicting losses to NW, Illinois, and Purdue? Did you?

It's OSU with all of their pieces back and healthy. they've been banged up all year and now have RB Henderson, Stover and Egbuka back on offense. I truly believe that Henderson is the best RB in the B1G and top 3 in the country. And if you read their boards, this could be the best OSU defense in 10 to 15 years.

I think they take down Michigan next week - something like 28 - 20 and it's all about that outstanding OSU defense. OSU is starting to find their groove

Playing the "field position" strategy is not going to work against Ohio State. That game plan would need to be complimented with about 5 OSU turnovers to have a prayer for success.
But is does give game balls to our two kickers. Crawford had a good day punting to end almost every possession and Kessich came through with a perfect 54-yd FG.

Also of note, Quentin Redding flawlessly fair caught each of OSU's many kickoffs. Redding proved again that every kick to the Gophers is accompanied by specific instructions to the returner on how to handle it.

And we had people here arguing a few weeks back that Sean Tyler, just on his ownself and out of the blue, decided to return (and fumble) the game's opening kick.

1) Our offense has zero creativity.
2) After almost two years, AK should be better than this.
3) Our RB's are not very good.
4) Our TE is not very good.
5) Not sure why any skill player would come here, when we just consistently run up the middle.

Thanks, I feel better now.
Speaking of creativity, perhaps others here saw Texas at Iowa St. last night.

With about five minutes remaining, Texas scored to take a two TD lead. On its next possession Iowa State faced a 4th and 2 from about their own 40 (my memory not good enough to know exactly where they were on the field but definitely in their own end).

Iowa St. lined up to go for it on 4th down. Their freshman quarterback took the shotgun snap and raced straight ahead. As 11 Texas defenders converged to the middle of the line, Purdy stopped on a dime and floated a soft 30-yard pass down the middle to a tight end more alone than a man locked in solitary.

He scored, of course, to cut the lead to seven. It didn't matter that Texas held on for the 7-point win. What mattered is that Matt Campbell played to win against a superior opponent.

He could have punted with four minutes, hoping for maybe another possession. He could have punted just to hold it to a 14-point loss instead of risking a 21-point loss going on fourth and giving Texas a short field if it failed.

Instead, he played to try to win.

the change in the conference makes this whole discussion difficult.

how do we judge Fleck's performance going forward in an 18-team B1G with no divisions?

again, what is an "acceptable" season for MN? what are realistic expectations?

how would any of the recent coaches be evaluated if there had been no B1G West Division?

Mason never had the opportunity to win a Division title. If he had won a Division title, would his tenure be evaluated differently?
Mase is evaluated quite high. He brought in many of the greatest Gophers in our history.

I agree, he's still pretty young but he's not a freshman in experience. He's been here since 2021, he's had plenty of time to improve, and he yet might...but it doesn't look encouraging.
Other than the glaringly obvious accuracy and touch issues that popped up this season and won't go away, I am struck by how slow AK is and his frequent indecision in the pocket. Otherwise known as lack of escapability.

Last season he made some impressive and decisive runs when flushed from the pocket. Right now I see no more mobility than Tanner displayed.

On the positive the D Line played better at times. Having Walley play man against Harrison Jr worked well and I wish the defense played more man.
Evans was effective.
It was obvious to everyone how big the talent gap was and is. It seems to be getting worse with NIL and it's really dissapointing as I felt like the Gophers had turned the corner with new facilities, on campus stadium, and a young and promising coach. Gopher fans will need to pony up if they want this program to compete in the future in my opinion.
That brings me to Fleck playing not to be humiliated. He is no dummy and can tell that this current team is not in the same league as Michigan, Penn State, or OSU. I don't agree with his strategy, but I have to think he thinks that it's in the best long term interest in the program not to lose by 50. I think it must suck to be a current player and know that the coach doesn't think you can win, but frankly I think the players know it too.
Remember that he did not play OSU, PSU or Michigan in a chicken sh1t way when his previous year's teams were more competitive. He went for it on 4th down vs OSU from the Gophers own 30 yard line for example.
It is not in the best interest of the program to play chickenshit offense against anyone. If Fleck actually believes that is best, that is a severe indictment of his fitness to lead the team.

On the positive the D Line played better at times. Having Walley play man against Harrison Jr worked well and I wish the defense played more man.
Evans was effective.
It was obvious to everyone how big the talent gap was and is. It seems to be getting worse with NIL and it's really dissapointing as I felt like the Gophers had turned the corner with new facilities, on campus stadium, and a young and promising coach. Gopher fans will need to pony up if they want this program to compete in the future in my opinion.
That brings me to Fleck playing not to be humiliated. He is no dummy and can tell that this current team is not in the same league as Michigan, Penn State, or OSU. I don't agree with his strategy, but I have to think he thinks that it's in the best long term interest in the program not to lose by 50. I think it must suck to be a current player and know that the coach doesn't think you can win, but frankly I think the players know it too.
Remember that he did not play OSU, PSU or Michigan in a chicken sh1t way when his previous year's teams were more competitive. He went for it on 4th down vs OSU from the Gophers own 30 yard line for example.
Do you think Ohio State fans in general pony up with NIL money?

Look, this goes back to the same argument that Gopher fans have been having for decades: what are the reasonable expectations for this program?

Under Mason, Kill and Claeys, the Gophers generally won 7 or 8 games most seasons and went to a mid-level bowl. Mason had a 10-win season. Claeys had a 9-win season. but some fans (not all fans) said MN should be able to go to "the next level" - which included playing for or even winning a conference title, and playing in the Rose Bowl or another Bowl game of similar stature.

I will stipulate that Fleck has had a higher winning % and has produced two 9-win season and an 11-win season. But - he has not played for a conference title or won a conference title. He did play in a New Year's Day bowl game. (so did Jerry Kill)

So MN got a taste of what the Next Level might be - and now it appears the program is slipping back to the old level of Mason, Kill and Claeys.

that's what stings - to have the promise of something better dangled in front of our eyes, only to see it fade away like a mirage in the desert. so people are upset.
My lying eyes tell me that Fleck's teams aren't much better, if at all better, then Kill's teams. The competition
Speaking of creativity, perhaps others here saw Texas at Iowa St. last night.

With about five minutes remaining, Texas scored to take a two TD lead. On its next possession Iowa State faced a 4th and 2 from about their own 40 (my memory not good enough to know exactly where they were on the field but definitely in their own end).

Iowa St. lined up to go for it on 4th down. Their freshman quarterback took the shotgun snap and raced straight ahead. As 11 Texas defenders converged to the middle of the line, Purdy stopped on a dime and floated a soft 30-yard pass down the middle to a tight end more alone than a man locked in solitary.

He scored, of course, to cut the lead to seven. It didn't matter that Texas held on for the 7-point win. What mattered is that Matt Campbell played to win against a superior opponent.

He could have punted with four minutes, hoping for maybe another possession. He could have punted just to hold it to a 14-point loss instead of risking a 21-point loss going on fourth and giving Texas a short field if it failed.

Instead, he played to try to win.
Robert E. Lee was regarded as a military genius but the reality is that he had to take long chances because long chances were all he had. Matt Cambell took a long chance. PJ did not.

I don't recall many posts demanding Fleck be fired. A new OC, maybe.

What is happening here is a good and realistic discussion of Fleck's weaknesses, lack of understanding of successful offense, and gameday coaching deficiency.

Nobody here can fire Fleck. I assume very few are expecting Coyle to fire Fleck. But it is past time to discuss the idiosy of TOP, shorten the game, and play not to lose.

Other than the glaringly obvious accuracy and touch issues that popped up this season and won't go away, I am struck by how slow AK is and his frequent indecision in the pocket. Otherwise known as lack of escapability.

Last season he made some impressive and decisive runs when flushed from the pocket. Right now I see no more mobility than Tanner displayed.
Pocket presence is horrible feels phantom pressure, starts moving around panicked until he is sacked. Thinking of one particular play he did that on yesterday, but it’s been a problem all year. His decisions to run often baffle me, he kept it on an option with a guy coming directly at him from his left and slipped and fell, next play he had an option right, defenders all crashing and he hands it off instead of keeping. Seems like the next play he locked on Jackson left and almost threw a pick, with no pressure. I think the color guy on the broadcast even commented to that effect.

I think most of the problems he has are between the ears. Needs a QB whisperer bad.

What is happening here is a good and realistic discussion of Fleck's weaknesses, lack of understanding of successful offense, and gameday coaching deficiency.

Nobody here can fire Fleck. I assume very few are expecting Coyle to fire Fleck. But it is past time to discuss the idiosy of TOP, shorten the game, and play not to lose.
I am not a fan of the Gopher offensive schemes at all. They had some promise early before the injuries set in to the RB's , but the QB play was not very good. The playcalling and decisions were suspect. They have won with defense before but it was their defense that badly let them down at key times vs. Illinois, Northwestern and Purdue and that was the story of the season. Their defense played like it did pre-Rossi when Robb Smith was around. It was inexplicable how bad they played this year at certain times. With that said, the defense played very well in other games such as Iowa and MSU. This made the defense very erratic to say the least.

The team played OSU and Michigan with zero chance to win. The games were both over before they even kicked off.

In short, it was a very frustrating season. They can still win the Axe next week and play in a bowl but this team looks absolutely lost and defeated. This team badly needs to regroup and shake the last few weeks off. Can they do it this week??

We shall see but I am not betting on it.

Last edited:

Next season is a slaughter schedule. It's an awesome schedule for seeing top teams play but brutal for wins and losses.

After going through that, then it will be a time to rethink the new reality -- after that slaughter schedule.

Maybe two seasons of the new Big Ten slaughter schedules and then think. It will be a new world, coast to coast viewers in the millions and millions flowing.
I mean if next season is a slaughter schedule then boy are we in for a treat for the next 50 years.

You think if PJ wins next week that people will want PJ to be fired?

You also understand that people can say that PJ coached an awful game without wanting him canned, right?
Pj has coached a few awful games in the past month.

Not to change your subject, Dakota2, you seem to be on a roll here. Still, I wonder just which Dakota you take your moniker from. Is it southern North Dakota, easterly South Dakota, northern SD, western ND, or are you just a fan of the territories more commonly known as the Dakotas?

Well, anyway, you sure are doing a heck of a job fielding comments, answering those comments, stating point of view and really
getting right down to what you feel the heart of the matter is for the main causes of the disappointment of the 2023 Gopher football season.

You represent your view very strongly and frequently here. You do the Dakotas proudly from Sioux Falls to Minot and Devils Lake to Fargo and the Black Hills.

Go Gopher: beat the stinking Badger. And fire up, Dakota!

;o)

Last edited:

Not to change your subject, Dakota2, you seem to be on a roll here. Still, I wonder just which Dakota you take your moniker from. Is it southern North Dakota, easterly South Dakota, northern SD, western ND, or are you just a fan of the territories more commonly known as the Dakotas?

Well, anyway, you sure are doing a heck of a job fielding comments, answering those comments, stating point of view and really
getting right down to what you feel the heart of the matter is for the main causes of the disappointment of the 2023 Gopher football season.

You represent your view very strongly and frequently here. You do the Dakotas proudly from Sioux Falls to Minot and Devils Lake to Fargo and the Black Hills.

Go Gopher: beat the stinking Badger. And fire up, Dakota!

;o)
Thanks for the comments, walrus. I took my moniker from four growing up years in southeastern South Dakota. All good memories except the night I was driving to a concert in Sioux City with Mary C. to hear Buddy Holly, Richie Valenz, and The Big Bopper and we heard on the radio it was the day the music died.

Thanks for the comments, walrus. I took my moniker from four growing up years in southeastern South Dakota. All good memories except the night I was driving to a concert in Sioux City with Mary C. to hear Buddy Holly, Richie Valenz, and The Big Bopper and we heard on the radio it was the day the music died.
;0)

Generally speaking, true. But can anyone say with certainty that Ryan Day is a good head coach? How would you know that? There are several hundred assistant coaches in college football that could manage that talent successfully.
I think you can say he's at least a competent coach. A lot of coaches recruit a ton of talent and do not have the kind of success that Ryan Day has. I think you can also say he does a nice job with quarterbacks. It's probably a combo of evaluation and development, but even amongst the programs that get their pick of the litter, he stands out.

As far as being a good or elite coach, it's hard to say. They were an to Marvin Harrison away from likely winning the national championship last year. That's not an excuse, just a piece of evidence in evaluating whether Ryan Day is a good coach.

But your point is well-taken that Ryan Day's ability is hard to gauge.

Top Bottom