Post Game Thread: Gophers lose to Illinois

Our QBs were a combined 6 of 18 for 38 yards and 3 interceptions. That is incredible.

I was feeling good about this game all week, and then Illinois went on that first drive and it was like a 180. Definitely a disappointing game and it's super frustrating, especially when there were chances to win. Illinois was moving the ball but only led by 6 at the half, we get a huge kick return and a touchdown at the start of the second half.

I get it was on the road against a ranked team, but it's still really tough to watch Minnesota just look completely outclassed out there. It's even more maddening that Bret has turned Illinios around so quickly.

The good news is there's still plenty of football left this season. For a little bit of a flashback, look at the 2013 team, which started 4-0, then lost two games, before going on a four game win-streak. This season, the Bell, Chair, Pig and Axe are still on the line. Step one is winning at the White Out.

I was feeling good about this game all week, and then Illinois went on that first drive and it was like a 180. Definitely a disappointing game and it's super frustrating, especially when there were chances to win. Illinois was moving the ball but only led by 6 at the half, we get a huge kick return and a touchdown at the start of the second half.

I get it was on the road against a ranked team, but it's still really tough to watch Minnesota just look completely outclassed out there. It's even more maddening that Bret has turned Illinios around so quickly.

The good news is there's still plenty of football left this season. For a little bit of a flashback, look at the 2013 team, which started 4-0, then lost two games, before going on a four game win-streak. This season, the Bell, Chair, Pig and Axe are still on the line. Step one is winning at the White Out.
As I remember, our two losses were to Iowa and Michigan. Not Purdue and Illinois. Not really comparable.

Our DBs' coverage was soft compared to theirs so they were able to catch shorter passes most of the time and even gain some additional yardage. Illinois didn't throw long very often. Their DBs were very tough and physical (either over the line or right on the line on most plays) and fast too.
Our corners have always played off 8 to 10 under the Rossie scheme. Unfortunately we are so weak at that position that we can’t play a press technique. Play it soft and hope the QB misfires or the receiver drops the ball.

As I remember, our two losses were to Iowa and Michigan. Not Purdue and Illinois. Not really comparable.
Why isn't it comparable? Iowa was unranked, Michigan was ranked #19. Purdue was unranked, Illinois was ranked #24.
2013, Michigan finished 7-6, Iowa finished 8-5, both lost their bowl games.

Why isn't it comparable? Iowa was unranked, Michigan was ranked #19. Purdue was unranked, Illinois was ranked #24.
2013, Michigan finished 7-6, Iowa finished 8-5, both lost their bowl games.
People get hung up on the name of the team and don't always pay attention to which teams are actually good in a given year.

There are probably still some here that think Wisconsin and Iowa are the teams to beat in the West this year when clearly they are not.

Are you saying he takes less talented players just so he can brag about a top ranking early on?
I am saying he fills his class and accepts commitments earlier than many other programs and then talks it up to the media as “top 15 class” etc. that’s because his class has 20 commits at that point why the other programs hold out and only have 10 or so. Then when all the other programs fill their classes, his rankings drop like a ton of bricks and he never comments on the rankings again. He does it every year.

The more the offense plays, the more successful they are. When on a positive roll, you don't notice the tired as much. Physically you expend energy. Mentally, each play enhances your belief and positive outlook on winning the game.

BUT, going back to the Mason days that was one of our problems. In close, hard fought games, the offensive line got tired late. The lack of depth caused the run game to lose effectiveness at the worst time. They got tired and lost effectiveness (it happened with every coach, but Mason's running attacks were so successful it happened more under him).

The converse, the defense when they're on the field too long, is because they're getting beat and out schemed. That takes more out of you because the wearing down is both physical and mental.
👍

Offense was brutal, but we had 3 possessions in first half and scored a td on one of them.

How the hell do you only have 3 possessions?

Answer: Your defense is getting destroyed

If we could have ever gotten off the field, Mo may have run them into the ground.

We go up 14-13, have all the momentum, and let them go on a 17 play drive. Friggin Puke.

With Crab out, I was not that surprised about the offense struggling. I suggested this may happen and was bludgeoned for the thought weeks ago. I never thought this defense would get done by Illinois like this. I'm quite stunned by it. Didn't DeVito start like 11 of 11. That's ridiculous.
Unless CrAB plays O-line now if he were playing we might be able to hide our glaring weakness on the oline a little better, but he doesn't solve the problems we have on offense.

Up and until Purdue the Gophers were never tested because those teams were and still are Terrible.

Why can’t it happen for us?! Wtf Illinois leapfrogs us? Northwestern is good more often than us. Are we going to be the butt of the West?

You can go frame by frame and see where the ball was, the head was and see where the punch started and ended.

So, yeah, I guess I am dumb enough to think he was taking a cheap shot and should sit out a game.

Now piss off.

You’re just as stupid as the Iowa fans that are still screaming that Art fumbled lmao

You’re just as stupid as the Iowa fans that are still screaming that Art fumbled lmao

I‘ve been watching a lot of football for a lot of years and have never seen that happen. He’s either strabismic or has the worst hand eye of any FBS player in history outside Troy Williamson.

I‘ve been watching a lot of football for a lot of years and have never seen that happen. He’s either strabismic or has the worst hand eye of any FBS player in history outside Troy Williamson.
He is soooooo bad it’s like he’s 3 steps slow on everything he does he can’t even make a simple toss to Chase I pray every night that Tommy stays healthy 😂

Top Bottom