Post Game Thread: Gophers lose to Illinois

Glad we have no more bye weeks.

Loss of CrAB was huge. No dominant WR on the field.
We've got capable receivers, it's just tough when your QB is throwing it to the other team too. I do agree that when the offense is getting stagnant we don't have that receiver who can take the game to the next level.

Really needed a great game with a win today. Didn’t get it.

We lost because one team could pass the ball effectively and one team couldn't. Part of that is on our defense and part on our offense.
But make no mistake, it's the passing game that is the issue.

We've got capable receivers, it's just tough when your QB is throwing it to the other team too. I do agree that when the offense is getting stagnant we don't have that receiver who can take the game to the next level.
They went to Jackson several times today, and he was blanketed.

Wright got a PI, but the guy was all over him. NO separation.

Our wide receivers pretty much blow. MBS is MBS.

We are so screwed.

Last edited:

What say you GopherHoler’s?
If the Gophers would have possed the ball and sustained drives on offense, they would have ran the ball well against Illinois. Ibrahim was poised for a big game. If we stop them on that first drive of the 3rd quarter, and get the ball back and score this was a different game. Not going to win football games if you cannot pressure QB, and you cannot pass Block better.

- WR talent is horrendous. Biggest disappointment considering Fleck’s history
- Quinn Carroll is really bad
- Oliver is over aggressive
- Offensive scheme doesn’t allow for easy completions
- Defense is pretty good, but zero pass rush
- Walley hasn’t been very good this year
- Nubin and Mo are incredible
- This program isn’t trending in the right direction

Purdue produced the recipe for beating MN, and it will be like this the rest of the year. Run blitz like crazy and play extremely physical man-to-man defense on MN receivers that can't handle the physicality and don't get separation. It's the same recipe as last year. Ciarocca's offense suddenly looks a lot like Sanford's. I had hoped the receivers would step it up this year...not. I think it was GopherGrandpa after the MSU game who mentioned how important it was that the receivers caught everything thrown to them. It was an anomaly.

I guess the extra week off didn't help Rossi scheme Illinois. Absolutely terrible D. It reminded me of the Illinois game in 2018 that got that coordinator fired and Rossi promoted in the first place.

The defense sucked balls. They had a guy run for 220, and a qb that seemed like he completed 90% of his passes. I blame the defense more than the offense.

We had three possessions the whole first half, because Illinois went on 100 play drives into oblivion.

Both times we scored, we should have had all the momentum, and they went down the field at total will.
I fairness the gophers offense can help the defense and stay on the field longer too.

I can't say that. The defense was a little soft to be sure but the offense was horrific - Iowa got significantly more yards against Illinois than we did today.
Iowa had 222 yards. About 30 more.

Purdue produced the recipe for beating MN, and it will be like this the rest of the year. Run blitz like crazy and play extremely physical man-to-man defense on MN receivers that can't handle the physicality and don't get separation. It's the same recipe as last year. Ciarocca's offense suddenly looks a lot like Sanford's. I had hoped the receivers would step it up this year...not. I think it was GopherGrandpa after the MSU game who mentioned how important it was that the receivers caught everything thrown to them. It was an anomaly.

I guess the extra week off didn't help Rossi scheme Illinois. Absolutely terrible D. It reminded me of the Illinois game in 2018 that got that coordinator fired and Rossi promoted in the first place.
This was not even close to the 2018 game. They gave up 54 points and 646 yards of offense in 2018.

The crazy thing in 2018 time of possession for Minnesota 32:50. Time of possession for Illinois 27:10.

I thought intent was irrelevant when it comes to hitting someone in the head though
In what universe is a punch to the head not called a personal foul. Don't care about intent, or that he is a runner, it is not a play allowed under current rules. That was as blatantly bad as the hit to the chin Iowa player delivered to Leidner in 2014 that went uncalled.

In what universe is a punch to the head not called a personal foul. Don't care about intent, or that he is a runner, it is not a play allowed under current rules. That was as blatantly bad as the hit to the chin Iowa player delivered to Leidner in 2014 that went uncalled.
I agree that should have been a foul

Hopefully PJ addresses it

When people are arguing about whether it's the offense's fault or the defense's fault it pretty much tells you we just sucked. That was being dominated a lot more than the score indicated. Just disheartening.
Purdue loss hurt because our mistakes let an inferior team beat us. Today was different. We were dominated by a much better team.

The run for TOP strategy doesn't work when you don't get first downs. It hurts too when you develop Olinemen for run blocking and sacrifice pass blocking.

This leads to an immobile QB throwing while he is falling backwards. On the first interception the DB came from more than half way across the field to make a play on a ball that had no zip because Tanner was falling away.

Purdue loss hurt because our mistakes let an inferior team beat us. Today was different. We were dominated by a much better team.

The run for TOP strategy doesn't work when you don't get first downs. It hurts too when you develop Olinemen for run blocking and sacrifice pass blocking.

This leads to an immobile QB throwing while he is falling backwards. On the first interception the DB came from more than half way across the field to make a play on a ball that had no zip because Tanner was falling away.
Same blueprint though.

Top Bottom