Post Game Thread - Gophers CRUSH Western Illinois. Sound off!

Absolutely great performance today. Would have obviously liked a shutout, but allowing 10 over eight quarters of football is not too shabby. Awesome work on offense and defense today.

Tanner has been directly under center more in these 2 games than in the previous five seasons combined.

Who would have thunk that OC Kirk's stint at PSU and WVU taught him that the QB didn't have to be shotgun for every conceivable offensive snap.

Guess it's about the journey and glad we're here now.

i love how we are opening the playbook, i also love how fleck is willing to bury these bad teams this year. fun game all around.

I agree, to be elite we need to BURY bad teams.

not too much to complain about today, if anything.

after the fact, it may sound nuts but I thought the running game started a little slow. all of the big plays came through the air. at halftime, Mo was averaging 4 yards a carry. that's solid - but not up to his normal standards, especially against an FCS opponent. But, I suspect that was discussed at halftime, because the Gophs came out for the 3rd quarter and Mo started ripping off some big runs. don't know if they changed some blocking schemes, but they upped the ante on the running game.

my other quibble is that I'd like to see the pass rush pick up. we'll see what happens next week.

after the fact, it may sound nuts but I thought the running game started a little slow. all of the big plays came through the air. at halftime, Mo was averaging 4 yards a carry. that's solid - but not up to his normal standards, especially against an FCS opponent. But, I suspect that was discussed at halftime, because the Gophs came out for the 3rd quarter and Mo started ripping off some big runs. don't know if they changed some blocking schemes, but they upped the ante on the running game.

my other quibble is that I'd like to see the pass rush pick up. we'll see what happens next week.
For as well as they played again the D definitely left some meat on the bone with a few sacks and TFL they could have had but didn't quite finish.

I’d like to see Wright’s snaps given to Geary for the next couple of games to see what we have. The kid always seems to find himself open.

I don't remember the Gophers committing any unforced, undisciplined errors in the game -- and those don't depend on the level of competition. No delays of game, no offsides, no illegal motion, no illegal substitution, no false start. That preparation and discipline is what impressed me.

Nice to handle a team we should beat so well but still make mistakes players can learn from and get better from. Scary how good this team can actually be.

Many moons ago during my gap year before going to the U, I worked at a printing factory and a guy who was a lifer there liked warm PBR. Like room temperature. PBR.
A man after my own heart. Room temperature lager is good lager

I don't remember the Gophers committing any unforced, undisciplined errors in the game -- and those don't depend on the level of competition. No delays of game, no offsides, no illegal motion, no illegal substitution, no false start. That preparation and discipline is what impressed me.
We are typically snapping the ball with 5-10 seconds on the play clock. This is a big improvement and brings order to the offense.

A-level performance on an easy pop quiz. Can't find too much fault. As I said at the end of the game thread, I worry a bit that Morgan keys in on Autman-Bell a bit too much and that might have to change as the season wears on.
A-level performance on an easy pop quiz. Can't find too much fault. As I said at the end of the game thread, I worry a bit that Morgan keys in on Autman-Bell a bit too much and that might have to change as the season wears on.

Zach had 14 completions to 9 different receivers in his team's 28 to 21 victory.​

Anyone else get a little chuckle out of Western Illinois putting “Pound the Rock” on their helmet bumpers and producing 35 rushing yards on 19 carries?

We might have to wait a week for that with Air-Sanford coming to town.

What mistakes did you see that need correcting?
I’d have to rewatch it to be able to list them but recall the first few or several minutes being less than perfect. We didn’t open a big lead until later on. I think there were likely some things they can learn from in those opening minutes. I can’t recall if it was a protection thing or what but do remember giving them a short field that led to a score that shouldn’t have happened.

The score was 14-3 after the first quarter...that isn't exactly a nail-biter. And even with the fumble we still had a drive of 12 plays for 60 yards and another for 4 plays and 65 yards. (both leading to TDs obviously) That is pretty good.

The score was 31-3 at the half and the 3 points scored by Western Illinois were on a drive after we scored so not sure where you get that we gave them a short field...it was an 8 play drive that started on the WIU 25.

The game was a laugher and was over long before halftime. "Later on" seems like a bit of a stretch.

Top Bottom