Post Game Thread: GOPHERS CRUSH MSU! SOUND OFF!

Anyone else here think Striggow is going to be a beast by the time he's done here? Has a little bit of Jared Allen to him (tall, lean, and athletic).
Anyone else here think Striggow is going to be a beast by the time he's done here? Has a little bit of Jared Allen to him (tall, lean, and athletic).
Without doubt. As a bonus he played his way onto the hands team.

I don’t disagree. I also think it will still come down to the final game in Madison. Maybe a 1-loss MN vs a 2-loss WI???
It will come down to Iowa. Whisky has been exposed.

Great game, Gophers impose their WILL!

One note, not that it mattered in the end, but anyone notice that horrendous hands to the face call on #0 Lemeke, when it was actually MSU #0 quite clearly being the offender?
Still kind of peeves me.

Well there really is not a lot of to complain about today but I'll try.

Too many penalties. Very uncharacteristic.

Run blocking could have been better, I do understand that MSU has much better run defense than we are used to, but seeing as how our passing game was clicking I expected some bigger running lanes would open up. However as the game wore on you could see us really take over.

Bad time management at the end of the first half.

Maybe my biggest concern: We dominated the first half unlike any Big Ten game in my memory. It felt like a 38-0 game at that point, but we were only winning 17-0. It only took one drive in the second half for MSU to *almost* get back in the game. I wish we'd come away with more points in the first half. The fumble certainly hurt and I just don't get the time management decision to end the half first, score second.

One note, not that it mattered in the end, but anyone notice that horrendous hands to the face call on #0 Lemeke, when it was actually MSU #0 quite clearly being the offender?
Still kind of peeves me.
I don't know how another ref, or replay, or PJ, all apparently missed this. Someone should have caught it. I think this is the first time in my life I saw a penalty be assessed to the wrong team without a correction.

Well there really is not a lot of to complain about today but I'll try.

Too many penalties. Very uncharacteristic.

Run blocking could have been better, I do understand that MSU has much better run defense than we are used to, but seeing as how our passing game was clicking I expected some bigger running lanes would open up. However as the game wore on you could see us really take over.

Bad time management at the end of the first half.

Maybe my biggest concern: We dominated the first half unlike any Big Ten game in my memory. It felt like a 38-0 game at that point, but we were only winning 17-0. It only took one drive in the second half for MSU to *almost* get back in the game. I wish we'd come away with more points in the first half. The fumble certainly hurt and I just don't get the time management decision to end the half first, score second.
Completely balanced and dominant offense in every way against Sparty.

"Fleck and Coyle need to stop scheduling these creampuffs in September" /s

Went to a Spartans forum - panic, disappointment and suicidal watch in nearly every reply. Comparing your team to Prairie View A&M is a new low in my book......

Maybe the best game Tanner Morgan has played. Seemingly every pass was on target (except the one to Kallerup who made the catch of the day) and he was also at his very best with pocket presence...taking off and running for those first downs were huge plays.

I hope to eat my words about the pass catchers as the season goes on, because for one game everybody stepped up. Across the board guys got separation and made every catch you could ask for.

The Oline was tremendous pass blocking on those first two drives which obviously played a huge role in Tanner being so comfortable and accurate.

All 3 of those points go to say what a great job Coach Roc did with the gameplan and calling plays.

The defense was barely on the field in the first half, but I did notice how at least one member of the Dline was getting in to the backfield on every pass play.

Outside of that first drive of the second half, the tackling was really crisp on defense. That Thomas Rush forced fumble in the red zone to end that drive might have been the play of the game. I will admit to being more than a little nervous of the prospect of only being up 17-7 with the way we had dominated in the first half.

My one nitpick for this game was the clock management to end the first half. This is at least the second time in PJ's tenure that the clock has ran out on us at the end of the half and he's blamed the refs for telling him that it wouldn't start. At the very least someone should have been looking at the scoreboard and noticed the clock was running and called the timeout.

Gophers certainly deserved to be ranked now, but I care so much more about where they are ranked in January than in September.

Behind a paywall but you can get the gist of the article without reading it...

1664110040141.png

This was what Nebbie's rubes were saying in 2014 that contributed to Pelini's downfall.

This mindset just did not get the memo that Minnesota can be good...

Behind a paywall but you can get the gist of the article without reading it...

View attachment 20702

This was what Nebbie's rubes were saying in 2014 that contributed to Pelini's downfall.

This mindset just did not get the memo that Minnesota can be good...
I think they pulled the trigger way too early giving him almost 100 million guaranteed over 10 years.

Did Oliver come back in after his injury?

Here's a couple of beat reporters for the Detroit Free Press doing the post mortem on the cadaver that is MSU football as far as they are concerned.

99% MSU of course but there are some very significant observations of the Gophers along the way. 8 minutes total so not a lot of time commitment...

Here's a couple of beat reporters for the Detroit Free Press doing the post mortem on the cadaver that is MSU football as far as they are concerned.

99% MSU of course but there are some very significant observations of the Gophers along the way. 8 minutes total so not a lot of time commitment...

They don't hold back much. "This sucks and hasn't improved, this also sucks and hasn't improved". "24 months in and nothing has changed." Tough crowd and deservedly so for the money spent.

At first I thought they were overreacting.....and then I saw this!

iCkGMqY.jpg

I don't know how another ref, or replay, or PJ, all apparently missed this. Someone should have caught it. I think this is the first time in my life I saw a penalty be assessed to the wrong team without a correction.
EXACTLY! It even looked like Lemeke was like, yeah ok, it's fine.

WTFO

Still kind of peeves me.
This resulted in 2nd and 18 for our offense. Unbelievable, we cannot have obvious undisciplined play like this out of our WRs... how dare he have the same number as the actual offender and the dipsh*t B1G refs struggle with Nebraska community college level of intelligence.
1664164861067.png

MSU is very bad. Great win, but it doesn't tell us how good we really are.
I hate this take. I'm not comparing us to OSU but when they beat people in a dominant fashion, we don't so "oh well they aren't very good so this doesn't tell us anything about how good they are." Beating conference opponents on the road in a dominant fashion says how good we are.

Top Bottom