***POST-GAME THOUGHTS***

Haven't kept up with all the posts but two things that impressed me today. One, we pretty much pounded them. There was a lot of time on the field for their trainers as they tended to players with injuries. Two, with all of the shifting and motion, the offense didn't hurt themselves with penalties. Nelson, especially, managed the game very well. Want to watch the game again, but after thinking about it, I don't think the Gophers used as many different plays as it seemed during the game. Lots of movement and different formations, but they kept doing the same stuff.

Agreed. There was a lot of motion but for the most part we ran power, jet sweeps, and option football with some misdirection mixed in to keep them guessing.

Haven't kept up with all the posts but two things that impressed me today. One, we pretty much pounded them. There was a lot of time on the field for their trainers as they tended to players with injuries. Two, with all of the shifting and motion, the offense didn't hurt themselves with penalties. Nelson, especially, managed the game very well. Want to watch the game again, but after thinking about it, I don't think the Gophers used as many different plays as it seemed during the game. Lots of movement and different formations, but they kept doing the same stuff.

Penalties
2010 - 5.6 per game
2011 - 5.7 per game
2012 - 6.2 per game
2013 - 4.1 per game

Turnovers
2010 - 1.4 per game
2011 - 1.4 per game
2012 - 1.7 per game
2013 - 0.9 per game

Penalties
2010 - 5.6 per game
2011 - 5.7 per game
2012 - 6.2 per game
2013 - 4.1 per game

Turnovers
2010 - 1.4 per game
2011 - 1.4 per game
2012 - 1.7 per game
2013 - 0.9 per game

That is impressive...

I hope all of the players on that 1983 team that Dr.Tom , Rozier and Fryar ran up 84 points on have an extra one or two cold ones tonight to celebrate this win.

I hope all of the players on that 1983 team that Dr.Tom , Rozier and Fryar ran up 84 points on have an extra one or two cold ones tonight to celebrate this win.

I feel great for Ed Olson, Sr. He was a Senior on the 1982 Metro-dumpster fire that helped send us down the path of oblivion. His sons have contributed to the "great undoing" of those years.

I'm not for it, but I certainly would not be opposed to, if we have the chance to give them a similar loss, to do so. I'd rather do it to Sconny or the Piggies.

I feel great for Ed Olson, Sr. He was a Senior on the 1982 Metro-dumpster fire that helped send us down the path of oblivion. His sons have contributed to the "great undoing" of those years.

We have looked much better the last two weeks, and I think Ed. Jr. is a big part of that!

I think I saw 2 (maybe 3) poor throws today. And... we were throwing when the world was expecting run. Great mix/timing today. This will be our recipe when we are successful. It sure seemed like the coaches had this game circled.

C. T. (#2) had a nice bounce back game as well.

Penalties
2010 - 5.6 per game
2011 - 5.7 per game
2012 - 6.2 per game
2013 - 4.1 per game

Turnovers
2010 - 1.4 per game
2011 - 1.4 per game
2012 - 1.7 per game
2013 - 0.9 per game

The recipe for success for this team this year is pretty simple. If they can run and hold onto the ball they can play with pretty much anyone in the conference. Love the fact that the offense is doing an awesome job hanging onto the football both in terms of time of possession and lack of turnovers. Our margin for error is pretty small in a lot of these games so not hurting ourselves is key and has been a huge factor in the wins against Nebraska and Northwestern.

Looking ahead, this team has a great shot at getting to 4-4 in the conference given that Penn State and Indiana both struggle against the run. As critical as I have been of this coaching staff at times improving on last years win total in the conference would be a major positive step in the right direction and looking at things right now you have to believe they have a very good shot at getting that done.

Great win for the team and definitely the biggest win of the Jerry Kill era by far. Nebraska has their flaws, especially on Defense, but that is still a quality opponent and it was a great team victory for the Gophers.

I know Coach Kill hasn't been on the sidelines the last 2 games but you have to feel his system is taking hold. Congrats to all the coaches for implementing their game plan...it has me excited for the future and I hope Jerry can get back to coaching!

Also lost in the shuffle was the long 1st Q completion from Martinez to Bell. Watch it again. He dropped the ball and rolled over it. Watch.

Wouldn't be surprised. Bell couldn't catch a cold today.

Unless I am missing something, the Gophs haven't turned the ball over since October 5th. Wow.

Also lost in the shuffle was the long 1st Q completion from Martinez to Bell. Watch it again. He dropped the ball and rolled over it. Watch.

Noticed that live too and was upset that no replay was called. However, something made me forget all about it :)

Maybe the most fun I've ever had at a gopher game.

My post game thoughts.... First, I will openly and gladly admit I was wrong about the outcome of this season. I was certain we were headed to 0-8. And I definitely didn't see wins against NW and Neb. Now that that's out of the way.... Holy smokes! It was FANTASTIC to see play calling that wasn't run, run, pass, punt. Other than a short series of Cobb up the middle, you never knew what to expect. I was a bit concerned the boys let up after halftime, but they came back to it and just kept rolling. Wow. GREAT intensity and momentum. Finally... I was up in my perch in section 209 and I've never seen a crowd atmosphere like this at the Bank. Everyone was wrapped up in the game from mid-1st quarter and they just stayed rev'd up. I had Husker fans behind us and to our left. They were quiet the whole game. Never got out of their seats. It all came together on the field and in the stands. What a great day and fun game to be at.

I beg forgiveness for my early pessimism. IU and PSU are both well within the Goph's capabilities and I think MSU is close too. Can't wait to see the rest of this season!

I am not sure exactly how Dr.Don absolved a fellow GopherHoler like you but I think it went something like this "Drink nine beers and say six Jerry Kills and sin no more." Or maybe is was send the nine beers to Dr.Don.

Moving Lynn back to the outside next year makes good sense as he's never played middle linebacker before and the outside position is, after all, the spot for which he was recruited.
Our D isn't perfect, but boy I like some of our guys. Antonio Johnson just makes me smile when I watch the kid play. Murray is as advertised and overall our D backs work hard and make us proud. Wilson plays with a heck of a motor and carries a wallup. Hageman is a monster obviously. I do think Roland Johnson has an outside chance to play at the next level, too. He has a motor and a nose for the ball that you can't teach. Again, they're not a perfect D by a stretch but they play hard, have some speed and are well coached. Does Jack Lynn have a chance next year to take Hill's spot and play alongside Wilson? Not sure, but I think Kill is high on Rallis, too. Campbell should be able to play full time next year and I bemoan a bit the fact that Manuel wasn't redshirted as he's really coming along.

I like both our QBs. They're not particularly accurate but that is improving and will continue to improve. They're tough and multi-faceted and seem like good leaders. We'll have some times when they make us pull our hair out, but there will be less of that over time. There is some hope at WR when you see how much playing time Wolitarsky and Jones are getting. They're not doing a ton and are not making many plays, but they're getting their feet wet and will improve exponentially next year. Our TEs are awesome. Goodger might not beat me in a foot race, but he's in there slugging it out in the trenches and catches the ball when thrown to him. Plsek is rock solid as a depth player and we all know that Williams is a special talent. We have some studs redshirting and in the pipeline at TE, too. Cobb may never break one for more than 50 yards, but the kid has moxie and toughness and I could see he and Edwards being a solid one-two punch next year; while not discounting Kirkwood and Williams who will provide depth.

Our special teams are special. Our kickers are probably a little more than adequate and our coverage units fly down the field and tackle well.

I even like Devon Wright who never plays but for special teams but is always up on the sidelines and there for the fellas.

The fellas were asked to play ball today with a full chamber of plays on both O and D and while they hiccuped a time or two, for the most part they stepped up and smacked Nebraska in the mouth and took the game, and their will, from them and sent them home with their tails between their legs.

I am not sure exactly how Dr.Don absolved a fellow GopherHoler like you but I think it went something like this "Drink nine beers and say six Jerry Kills and sin no more." Or maybe is was send the nine beers to Dr.Don.

If you are sending only nine, they'd better be pounders!!!

Top Bottom