***POST-GAME THOUGHTS***

After spotting NEB 10, this was a lopsided game...and could have been a lot more. This team is still learning how to make plays, but the coaches sure seem to be putting them in good spots. There were half a dozen plays that kept the game close: Hageman's two facemask calls, the dropped passes early in the fourth, and the miss on 3rd down with 6 minutes left. Clean some of those up and I think this team can compete pretty well with anyone left on the schedule.

Gotta give Greise some credit for admitting he was wrong at the end. "We had talked about this Minnesota offense needing some smoke & mirrors to move the ball today. I wanna officially take that back. They are coming off the ball -- this offensive line -- give them credit. They are blocking, they are effective running the football, the tight ends are blocking, the fullback Henry's blocking...no smoke & mirrors here. It's just physical."

These coaches deserve credit for devising great game plans. Limegrover was creative and showed a lot of faith in the players to make plays. I think they have some more options at this point. Tracy did a nice job, also, especially with all the extra duties he's had this week, filling in for Jerry.

It will be nice to have the haters & critics be just a little quieter...or maybe less annoying...this week. lol

If he wins out ... or at least wins the division and makes a game of it in the CCG ... I think he stays though with an understanding that his leash is very short and that changes will be made on the coaching staff.

I don't think there's any real chance of that scenario taking place.

It'll be interesting in the off-season. Nebraska has traditionally been very tight with the pursestrings, in typical midwest fashion. Even at the height of Osborne's tenure, he was never among the highest paid coaches ... he made a decent salary but money wasn't his motivating factor. Solich was the same way. Our next two coaches we got relatively cheaply (Callahan because -- well, what options did he have? Pelini because it was his first HC gig). Pelini has since become something like the 15th highest paid coach, but as I said it's not in our nature. But I think one more bad coaching hire will set Nebraska back decades. Our next coach has to be the right coach, no more taking chances on coordinators or whatnot.

My dream scenario would be to back a literal dump truck full of money up to Charlie Strong's house. But it'd probably take $5 mil / year to get him. Will Nebraska spend that much? I'm doubtful.

HuskerInCO.....Could you please stay here each and every week. It is so nice to hear from someone with what appears to be honest and intelligent insight instead of all the morons dou***bags and dinks we seem to constantly hear from that post things like "Hire Mason back" or predicting total collapse and doom halfway through the first quarter of a game.

I was so happy about the win I completely forgot about the fact that we're Bowl Bound now...

Good luck to the Big Red, too, down the road. What is happening is that the Gophers have learned how to make good teams look bad. They are making their new system work.

I'm glad this win was aired on ESPN, hopefully it helps change perceptions for the positive. I know Connor Mayes was watching, he tweeted that he wasn't very pleased with the announcers. One other thing that comes to mind; I've been hoping we could turn the corner soon enough to keep our edge in the all time series records against Nebraska and Wisconsin, this win helps in that department.

It wasn't perfect but other Gopher teams have failed to finish this one didn't. Great win now get back to work and beat Indiana and turn this season into a great one.

Good to see the offense come back and finish the job. I was worried that the second-to-last drive that ended with two drops and Engel slipping down was going to come back and haunt us.

HuskerInCO.....Could you please stay here each and every week. It is so nice to hear from someone with what appears to be honest and intelligent insight instead of all the morons dou***bags and dinks we seem to constantly hear from that post things like "Hire Mason back" or predicting total collapse and doom halfway through the first quarter of a game.

Hah, thanks for the kind words :) Can't promise I'll hang around week-to-week, but I'll be sure to swing by the week of the Neb-Minn game.

Awesome game!! Had a blast.

Have to say the Husker fans around us were great. They weren't obnoxious when jumped to a 10-0, and very positive at the end, saying things like, "great game. Enjoy the win and the rest of the season." Nothing like Iowa or WI fans.

That being said, has anyone heard from our resident Husker fan, GopherGod? He's usually here smugly talking down the Gophers. Will be interesting if he can say something positive now :)

After spotting NEB 10, this was a lopsided game...and could have been a lot more. This team is still learning how to make plays, but the coaches sure seem to be putting them in good spots. There were half a dozen plays that kept the game close: Hageman's two facemask calls, the dropped passes early in the fourth, and the miss on 3rd down with 6 minutes left. Clean some of those up and I think this team can compete pretty well with anyone left on the schedule.

Gotta give Greise some credit for admitting he was wrong at the end. "We had talked about this Minnesota offense needing some smoke & mirrors to move the ball today. I wanna officially take that back. They are coming off the ball -- this offensive line -- give them credit. They are blocking, they are effective running the football, the tight ends are blocking, the fullback Henry's blocking...no smoke & mirrors here. It's just physical."

These coaches deserve credit for devising great game plans. Limegrover was creative and showed a lot of faith in the players to make plays. I think they have some more options at this point. Tracy did a nice job, also, especially with all the extra duties he's had this week, filling in for Jerry.

It will be nice to have the haters & critics be just a little quieter...or maybe less annoying...this week. lol

+1

This was indeed a great win for the team. I was impressed with their intensity and physical play (O-line did an excellent job all day). There were some things that still need to be improved upon, like poorly thrown balls with the receiver wide open, dropped passes, open field tackling........fundamentals. Beating Nebraska and becoming bowl eligible are great, but for me it is more like icing on a cake. Not as important IMHO as seeing progress each and every week(i.e. consistancy). They could have lost today and I would still have been overall pleased. Enjoy the victory today and lets get back to work tomorrow.

I'm a Gopher fan living in Lincoln. I just got home from watching the game with 8 Husker fans and needless to say, this has been a SWEET day for me and a glorious victory.

-When we got down 10-0 I was hearing just how bad the Gophers are and how easy this game would be for Nebraska.

-When we went up 17-10 I bet 4 of them $20 we'd hang onto win, so now I'm 80 bucks richer.

-This win is huge, a "signature win". We will no longer be looked at as a doormat of this conference.

SKI-U-MAH. Celebrate tonight Gopher fans!!!

So pumped after this win. Awesome to have beaten a ranked team on espn instead of crapping our pants like other times. Loved the big plays we had on both offense and defense today. Big plays have been lacking previously but the gophers found them today. BTW Edma0012 can suck it!

We out rushed them. We out passed them. We out penaltied them. We out possessioned them and we flat out out coached them. No fluke this. Must be Kill's third year in a new place! Congrats to all involved with the football program!

GH won't see anything negative from me either (at least for a while). That was an amazing experience. This is a huge thank you to the Gopher Football staff and players.

Had an interesting thought listening to many of the after game comments by talking heads. Many of them are making this out to be an utter shock and huge upset. This was not Alcorn State beating Michigan in Ann Arbor. This was a decent (dare I say fringe bowl team) beating a slightly better then average Nebraska team at home. We're a 6 or 7 win team (regular season) and Nebraska is a 8 or 9 wins at MOST team. So that's not that much better than we are. It was an upset, but we didn't win a fluke. We went out there and whipped them. From 10-0 on, it was all us. So anyway, just thought the national perception of the level of this upset is a lot different than I see it...

So do we continue to start Leidner and bring Nelson in after a series or two? Why change what is working. I think we are going to need both over the next weeks.

The stands looked pretty empty when the game started but I didn't see another stand shot later on in the game. Was it that empty there the whole game or did the fans actually show up? Maybe they were all out getting food and beer before the game started and it just looked empty at first. Would love to see a full stadium. Too bad for the losers that didn't show up to see this game.

Have to say the Husker fans around us were great. They weren't obnoxious when jumped to a 10-0, and very positive at the end, saying things like, "great game. Enjoy the win and the rest of the season." Nothing like Iowa or WI fans.

That being said, has anyone heard from our resident Husker fan, GopherGod? He's usually here smugly talking down the Gophers. Will be interesting if he can say something positive now :)

Nebraska fans sure do seem to like that cinnamon flavored gum from Wrigleys. I prefer juicy fruit.

The stands looked pretty empty when the game started but I didn't see another stand shot later on in the game. Was it that empty there the whole game or did the fans actually show up? Maybe they were all out getting food and beer before the game started and it just looked empty at first. Would love to see a full stadium. Too bad for the losers that didn't show up to see this game.

Little late arriving but a very good crowd. Whoever whined about the White Towels was dead wrong. When they were waving it certainly proved that there weren't 20,000 Husker fans in the stands!:cool03:

GeeGee? He's still in the Husker locker room looking for Coaches Callahan and Cosgrove for blowing another game! :cool:

I'm a Gopher fan living in Lincoln. I just got home from watching the game with 8 Husker fans and needless to say, this has been a SWEET day for me and a glorious victory.

-When we got down 10-0 I was hearing just how bad the Gophers are and how easy this game would be for Nebraska.

-When we went up 17-10 I bet 4 of them $20 we'd hang onto win, so now I'm 80 bucks richer.

-This win is huge, a "signature win". We will no longer be looked at as a doormat of this conference.

SKI-U-MAH. Celebrate tonight Gopher fans!!!

+4 - one for each of your Nebraska buddies.

Had an interesting thought listening to many of the after game comments by talking heads. Many of them are making this out to be an utter shock and huge upset. This was not Alcorn State beating Michigan in Ann Arbor. This was a decent (dare I say fringe bowl team) beating a slightly better then average Nebraska team at home. We're a 6 or 7 win team (regular season) and Nebraska is a 8 or 9 wins at MOST team. So that's not that much better than we are. It was an upset, but we didn't win a fluke. We went out there and whipped them. From 10-0 on, it was all us. So anyway, just thought the national perception of the level of this upset is a lot different than I see it...

Agreed... we came into this game 5-2 with a decent Defense & an Offense that had proven it can be deadly when the running game is clicking. The way the announcers were talking you'd think we were Purdue coming in at 1-6 or something...

"If you can't even beat Minnesota..." pissed me off so much... like we didn't *DOMINATE* Nebraska in every aspect today... we even outplayed them physically, I don't think I've seen us just pushover a clearly bigger & faster Big Ten team in a loooooooong time...

We're 6-2 & possibly ranked after this week... give us some damn credit!

Little late arriving but a very good crowd. Whoever whined about the White Towels was dead wrong. When they were waving it certainly proved that there weren't 20,000 Husker fans in the stands!:cool03:

No, just 17000 :)

At first I thought it was half Nebraska fans in the stands because there was hardly any gold, but later on when they zoomed in a little, it appeared there were just a lot of people wearing jackets so it wasn't as colorful as normal. I don't think there was as much red as I first thought but those that were there can tell us for sure.

Interesting day in my basement. Wife was wearing her Husker gear, she's from Lincoln. I was in Gopher gear, my two boys were wearing a combination of the two. Some friends came over, and they were all Gophers. During the game, my boys showed their true colors, and were openly cheering for the Gophers, while going over and giving my wife hugs, and telling her it's O.K.

Great to see Sheede get back in the game after taking a knee. Looks like we got out of this game pretty healthy too. Need to keep that streak going!

let's give credit where credit is due

Gopher hole will never ever ever ever see another negative post from me... I don't care of we go 0-11 next 5 seasons...

Nate Mason started the week end off perfectly.

Seriously; image a 65 year old man with tears streaming out of eyes over a football game. I hate Iowa; I hate the Badgers; Corn Huskers have beat the stuffing out of us for so long it feels so goooooooooooooooooooooooooooooood!

Interesting day in my basement. Wife was wearing her Husker gear, she's from Lincoln. I was in Gopher gear, my two boys were wearing a combination of the two. Some friends came over, and they were all Gophers. During the game, my boys showed their true colors, and were openly cheering for the Gophers, while going over and giving my wife hugs, and telling her it's O.K.

Great to see Sheede get back in the game after taking a knee. Looks like we got out of this game pretty healthy too. Need to keep that streak going!

Amazing game for 'Shede... he was the #1 Trending Topic on Twitter in the US at one point in the game. National Televised game on ESPN against a ranked Helmet School & he shows his ass... this was a monster game for potential recruits...

Haha, sounds like you raised your boys right that their true colors are maroon and gold but they're compassionate enough to console their mom.

Did Shede come back in the game? I missed that. I was worried he had a concussion.

Top Bottom