[Post Game] Spring Game Reactions

He didn't play in the game. Don't know if it was because he is nicked up or because of COVID tracing rules. Heard some of the guys who didn't play (Clark?) might have been for COVID tracing reasons. Anyway, to my knowledge, he sat the game out.
There were a number of guys on both sides of the ball that didn't play and you are correct that Wright was one of them. They didn't give a reason for why those guys were missing but contact tracing would make a lot of sense.

Shame too because Wright and KY Thomas were two of the guys I was most interested in getting a look at in a live game situation. Guess it will have to wait till the fall. Overall I thought the team looked solid in the spring game. And best of all we seemed to get through it without any major injuries.

People realize this was a spring game right? Several starters sat out, each team was a mix of starters and backups, and several of the players who saw a lot of reps on Saturday may barely see the field in the fall

People realize this was a spring game right? Several starters sat out, each team was a mix of starters and backups, and several of the players who saw a lot of reps on Saturday may barely see the field in the fall
Most get that, there are a couple that have a hard time figuring stuff like that out....(cough....amk...cough).

I think that's the context everyone is working within.

Like I'm worried about a few things ... but within the 'who the hell knows' realm of a spring game.

Attempts to TEs albeit still small overall were up from 2019 and I’d guess the Rashod Ratio is going away. CAB and the rest are a click down from the recently departed NFL guys and may struggle to find their footing and open grass for awhile. Stands to reason a matchup problem like an improved BSF or one of the others is a decent bet to get more throws their way.
If it stays with the increase in last year's short season, that would mean like 17-20 total completions. Seems to come up every season since Fleck became HC and hasn't really changed. The offense he likes seems to value the extra blocker much more than catching passes. If they can somehow do both, I can see it. Used to love that delayed seam route Kill would run...TE seemed to get 12-15 yards every time.

He didn't play in the game. Don't know if it was because he is nicked up or because of COVID tracing rules. Heard some of the guys who didn't play (Clark?) might have been for COVID tracing reasons. Anyway, to my knowledge, he sat the game out.
He did indeed sit out! Good to see Brady Boyd shine with the playing time he got

Have to go back to Maxx to see heavy reliance on the TE position in the pass game.

Might be fun...
The ironic thing about this is, with the Cardinals, Maxx is about 95% a blocking TE. Virtually a non-factor in the passing game. He's an important guy on the roster though, he's a great blocking TE

The ironic thing about this is, with the Cardinals, Maxx is about 95% a blocking TE. Virtually a non-factor in the passing game. He's an important guy on the roster though, he's a great blocking TE
At $3.5 million/year, not a bad gig! In his last year of a two year $7 million contract. He would look good in Purple...Plus they throw to the TE!

I guess I should elevate my memories of Maxx even more 'cuz he had a number of unbelievable catches.

As an aside, Mrs. Billd got me an "official" signed commemorative print of him pole vaulting a defender in one game. Need to find where that got stuck during a move...

I guess I should elevate my memories of Maxx even more 'cuz he had a number of unbelievable catches.

As an aside, Mrs. Billd got me an "official" signed commemorative print of him pole vaulting a defender in one game. Need to find where that got stuck during a move...
Here's a tasty morsel for you to jog that memory...

How much time did Kramer and Clark get with the offense?

How much time did Kramer and Clark get with the offense?
Clark sat out; didn’t play. Kramer got a play or two, I believe. Pickerign, long time w/o legacy QB who is now well into grad school, got a snap.

I listened to Nadine Babu's podcast and she said it was supposed to be limited to 2 tickets per person...but there was a glitch in the system and you could order as many as you want. She heard about people who ordered 8, 12, 20 etc. just because they could and may not have used them all.
Why didn't they let season ticket holders have some tickets

To be fair he didn’t have much of a chance. I think he got blindsided on one of his pass attempts. Cant remember if he had any other attempts.
Yeah, Tanner and Zac took almost all the snaps in the spring game so tough to read much of anything into Kramer's couple snaps. The one thing the spring game did make clear is that ZA is the clear cut #2 guy behind Morgan and we look to have two very solid options at QB.

Yeah, Tanner and Zac took almost all the snaps in the spring game so tough to read much of anything into Kramer's couple snaps. The one thing the spring game did make clear is that ZA is the clear cut #2 guy behind Morgan and we look to have two very solid options at QB.

I agree. My takeaway from Kramer is how small he is. He's smaller than Morgan, maybe 5'11".

In the post Spring game press conference PJ mentioned something about Kramer missing a lot of Spring practice for some reason and was able to get back before the game (someone correct me if I'm wrong) so there wasn't a plan to play him much in the first place, but he wanted to give him a couple of snaps.

Also, I heard a rumor somewhere (maybe on one of the other threads here), that at least some of those not playing were due to covid tracing and PJ did say in the press conference that no one was out for disciplinary reasons.

Why didn't they let season ticket holders have some tickets
I'm sure they realized that they screwed up the way it was handled. I'm sure they were trying to get students in the stadium that didn't really pan out the way they were hoping. Reinvent the wheel I guess for next year.

I'm sure they realized that they screwed up the way it was handled. I'm sure they were trying to get students in the stadium that didn't really pan out the way they were hoping. Reinvent the wheel I guess for next year.
Hopefully next year is normal and anyone who wants can show up and watch.

If it stays with the increase in last year's short season, that would mean like 17-20 total completions. Seems to come up every season since Fleck became HC and hasn't really changed. The offense he likes seems to value the extra blocker much more than catching passes. If they can somehow do both, I can see it. Used to love that delayed seam route Kill would run...TE seemed to get 12-15 yards every time.

It'll depend how good our receivers are. If CAB, Jackson and Boyd/Geary can consistently beat coverages like TJ and Bateman, I sure hope we continue to max protect a bunch.

It'll depend how good our receivers are. If CAB, Jackson and Boyd/Geary can consistently beat coverages like TJ and Bateman, I sure hope we continue to max protect a bunch.
If our run game is as strong as it should be with a great back in Mo running behind a really experienced offensive line, it will lead to teams trying to stack the box and leaving our receivers in a lot of 1 on 1 matchups. Hopefully we can exploit that for some big things on offense.

If our run game is as strong as it should be with a great back in Mo running behind a really experienced offensive line, it will lead to teams trying to stack the box and leaving our receivers in a lot of 1 on 1 matchups. Hopefully we can exploit that for some big things on offense.
I'm a full fledged member of the "the run does not setup the pass" club. I just don't think that's a thing.

Time and again you see teams who run well, but still can't get a good passing game going. I just don't think they're that tightly connected / that defenses sell out 'enough' to have the run setup the pass.

You either have the tools to pass and you can do so... or you just don't no matter how well you run.

I do think that a great passing game can help the run... but possibly only because teams will give the running game much more room to avoid big passing plays, and because IMO it's easier to run generally speaking.

I think you might see transfer Dylan Wright factor in to the WR rotation, too. And Michael Brown-Stephens--whom the staff seems pretty high on--if he remembers that "the ball is the program." Lot of good talent. We'll see who the coaches trust most as the season wears on.

Top Bottom