[Post Game] Spring Game Reactions

MGGopher

Reaction score
Wow, that was FUN! Lots of energy, very clean and quality play, rapid pace, trick plays, and decent production quality from B1G Net. Here's my biggest takeaways:
  • We've got two B1G quality starting QBs. Both made multiple quality throws. Morgan looked loads better than fall 2020. Annexstad was extremely comfortable and even pulled a couple zone reads for big gains.
  • I'm still worried about WR being the game changing position it's been recently, but they showed out today. CrAB is a legit #1 and Jackson, Boyd, and Geary all looked very athletic and more than competent at times.
  • Pinckney is a STUD. He looks impossible to block 1:1. After easily shedding Dunlap on 4th & 1 early, the gold team went to doubling him most of the time. That's exciting.
  • LB play was a huge improvement IMO. Lindenberg was EVERYWHERE and will certainly play a lot this fall. Gibbens made a couple really nice plays as well. Great to see Oliver out there and he made one really flash play as well.
  • The transfer kickers can't arrive quickly enough.

I don't know how seriously to take what I saw.

Little worried about the WRs ability to find space / separation. Many of the good passes required throwing to someone who was well covered.

Was that PJ or a player singing super loud at the end of the game?

Thought the running game struggled for the most part. Was it because a) Mo wasn't playing, b) didn't have the 1st team o-line all together, c) our defense front 7 has really improved, d) all of the above.

Thought the running game struggled for the most part. Was it because a) Mo wasn't playing, b) didn't have the 1st team o-line all together, c) our defense front 7 has really improved, d) all of the above.
We always have a lot of small gains and then wear out the defense. Not too worried about it.

People showed up. I think people sat closer to family and friends leaving open spaces. If you think 2500 showed up, you need to sober up.
I got 4. 2 sets of 2 because you couldn't get 3, and when I was trying to get them they no longer had sets of 4. We all sat together in one group.

I got 4. 2 sets of 2 because you couldn't get 3, and when I was trying to get them they no longer had sets of 4. We all sat together in one group.
I sat with 6 after buying 3 sets of 2

Once again forgot about sunscreen and got a smidge of sunburn. Like others, it was hard to glean a lot with the split up of the team. Agree we have two very good QBs. Kramer again did not impress with the series he played. No way he is 6'1". Clark did not suit up. I thought the RBs looked fine. All had some decent runs and some grinder couple yard runs.

I thought the receivers did well. Contested tosses to several and they came down with the catches.

Big Dan's TD toss the highlight, to a TE no less. Geary is a gritty receiver. CAB TD catch reminded me of his Fresno grab.

People showed up. I think people sat closer to family and friends leaving open spaces. If you think 2500 showed up, you need to sober up.
2500 was light, but from what I could see on tv, no more than 6,000-7,000. I have 4 season tickets and was not able to get ticets for this.

I wonder if they can figure out a way to offer tickets to people who will actually show up.

I wonder if they can figure out a way to offer tickets to people who will actually show up.
With e tickets teams are able to track that...

Not sure the u starts it now but...if a school has a problem with cronic no shows and others will show.... maybe time to think about what to do.

But that's a larger story / more than one game.

I had to order 4, but I only needed 3, so there was one wasted right there. They were only available in sets of two or four.

I want to thank all of the so called fans that took the time to get tickets and didn't show up. You really put the screws to a great Spring game.

Sounds like students were a large part of why it was empty. trying to sell their free tickets. not sure how many they were allocated but id guess its between 2-3k

Loved the spirit and competitiveness obvious in that each team really wanted to win. OBs fine, as noted, A-B looked like another Johnson or Bateman, but not a fourth one at that level visible today. Team looked a bit bulky and slow (Nebraska looked quicker and leaner in their game) and speed was a problem last year. Mo should run as well as ever, and the backs-up improved. Defense will be the issue this year, as last year. Opening with Ohio State not a gift - conference games should not be opening games - they made that mistake in the 70s, too.

Wow, that was FUN! Lots of energy, very clean and quality play, rapid pace, trick plays, and decent production quality from B1G Net. Here's my biggest takeaways:
  • We've got two B1G quality starting QBs. Both made multiple quality throws. Morgan looked loads better than fall 2020. Annexstad was extremely comfortable and even pulled a couple zone reads for big gains.
  • I'm still worried about WR being the game changing position it's been recently, but they showed out today. CrAB is a legit #1 and Jackson, Boyd, and Geary all looked very athletic and more than competent at times.
  • Pinckney is a STUD. He looks impossible to block 1:1. After easily shedding Dunlap on 4th & 1 early, the gold team went to doubling him most of the time. That's exciting.
  • LB play was a huge improvement IMO. Lindenberg was EVERYWHERE and will certainly play a lot this fall. Gibbens made a couple really nice plays as well. Great to see Oliver out there and he made one really flash play as well.
  • The transfer kickers can't arrive quickly enough.
Great OP. The only other thing I would add is that Mo is great! Great thing as there is a notable drop-off after that.

The tickets were limited, if you were not going to go don’t order the tickets. Pretty simple
I listened to Nadine Babu's podcast and she said it was supposed to be limited to 2 tickets per person...but there was a glitch in the system and you could order as many as you want. She heard about people who ordered 8, 12, 20 etc. just because they could and may not have used them all.

I listened to Nadine Babu's podcast and she said it was supposed to be limited to 2 tickets per person...but there was a glitch in the system and you could order as many as you want. She heard about people who ordered 8, 12, 20 etc. just because they could and may not have used them all.
That would explain the speed of the sellout.

Really hard to imagine organic demand THAT high in response to an email.

Top Bottom