Portal - Potential Incoming players?

More Stapp video. I could let myself get excited about this guy. Look at this kid run and hit. The coaches must think he can run at this level. What’s not to like?

I agree we need to recruit Stapp, but AggieVision needs to recruit those camera operators. If they don’t, BTN+ will scoop them up to record some more basketball games for their online content.

The Gophers should hope that some of the OSU QB talent does the math and decides to leave and try on the Gophers. Not all of those guys are going to be able to start at OSU and CJ seems like the team is his for the next few years. 2 or the 4 should consider transferring. That would be good talent to add to the Gophers and allow them to have a bit of the 'revenge tour' if they truly believe in their abilities.
As much as I'd love for one of those guys to consider coming to the U, I think we might be a little SOL.

I don't expect anyone else to leave until after next season. After next year, Stroud will likely move on to the NFL and then whoever loses the battle between Ewers and McCord could very well transfer.

CB and NB seem like our clearest needs for the portal this off-season. We lose Durr, Howden, Harris and maybe TSmith. I don’t think anyone besides Wally even got reps at those spots, so seems like Stapp is worth a shot.

Anyone know who internally is “next up” at those spots?
Ortiz, corner.

As much as I'd love for one of those guys to consider coming to the U, I think we might be a little SOL.

I don't expect anyone else to leave until after next season. After next year, Stroud will likely move on to the NFL and then whoever loses the battle between Ewers and McCord could very well transfer.
Agreed and why would one of them want to come here to hand the ball off more often than throwing it?

Agreed and why would one of them want to come here to hand the ball off more often than throwing it?
They made Morgan look like an NFL caliber player 2 years ago. If PJ has the skillsets, I think he is more than willing to change up the style of play to put them in the best position to win.

OSU hs a QB in the Portal Jack Miller III freshman from AZ.

Recruiting and the transfer portal are looking interesting. If you look at the top programs you will notice that many have their 2022 classes close to full. Many others are waiting in the weeds to see what the pecking order will be. The top programs are going to bring in top classes and talent each year and as kids realize they aren't going to see the field after 1-2 years they are going to enter the portal where others will step up and make an offer (Dylan Wright types).

Next tier is going to be a bit more picky in signing a full class until they see who is out there in the portal. December will become more of a Tier 1 signing period and February will be the Tier 2 based more on teams than talent available. Are kids going to be patient enough, out of HS, to wait for February or will they sign down a tier in December?

More kids are going to transfer out of Alabama, Georgia etc than transfer in. IMO.

So many scenarios to be played out in this new system.

Recruiting and the transfer portal are looking interesting. If you look at the top programs you will notice that many have their 2022 classes close to full. Many others are waiting in the weeds to see what the pecking order will be. The top programs are going to bring in top classes and talent each year and as kids realize they aren't going to see the field after 1-2 years they are going to enter the portal where others will step up and make an offer (Dylan Wright types).

Next tier is going to be a bit more picky in signing a full class until they see who is out there in the portal. December will become more of a Tier 1 signing period and February will be the Tier 2 based more on teams than talent available. Are kids going to be patient enough, out of HS, to wait for February or will they sign down a tier in December?

More kids are going to transfer out of Alabama, Georgia etc than transfer in. IMO.

Yeah, I agree. I actually think the transfer portal will work to spread the wealth. The years of Ohio State's second stringers being the 4th best team in the Big 10 are over. Those kids are leaving.

But we'll see how it all shakes out.

I wonder if the high schoolers will feel the pressure to commit earlier with teams possibly saving more spots for transfers. With no longer having to sit out a year everyone can take on the old Kansas State model, but it’s not just juco players with instant illegibility now.

Spencer rattler👀

That kid is a punk. If you watched that "QB1" doc on Netflix, he definitely thinks his poo smells sweet. I wouldn't touch him with a 10-foot pole for the Gophers, but no doubt someone will. Should be interesting to see where he lands.

Honestly though, if you can't succeed as a QB under Lincoln Riley at OU, something is not right.

OU's 2021 Heisman Candidate Spencer Rattler is in the portal now too (as expected). He had a string of less than stellar games before Lincoln Riley finally pulled him to see what the next guy up could do. OU ended up coming from behind and beating Texas that game which pretty much sealed the fate for Spencer.

Imagine how things might be today if Fleck puts Annexstad in against Iowa and we end up bringing home the pig? Does Annexstad get the job going forward? Does Tanner walk on senior day? Do we beat the Badgers with Annexstad too? Do we beat Michigan in the B1G Championship? Does Clark sit one more year in hopes of actually competing for the job?

We'll never know but interesting to ponder the what-ifs.

Could be wrong but I think teams like MN are PERFECTLY set up for the transfer portal. You get your Abil Christian type guys that want to move up, we are certainly that, but you also get the UGA/Clem/OSU type guys that are really good but cant crack the 5* spots so we are that perfect step "down" but still a good spot.

I would call it the middle class of college football, should really benefit from both ends and GENERALLY kids who transfer out are going to a lower level.

There's speculation that Caleb Williams could follow Riley to USC. Losing him and Rattler would really hurt for Oklahoma.
His tweet was a bit ominous. That would be brutal if Caleb Williams left. I think Rattler could use a change of scenery. I'm not sure how much he ingratiated himself with his teammates obviously sulking on the sidelines as Oklahoma came back to beat Texas.

The Transfer Portal will be a tougher rodeo for PJ Fleck. Every D1 program is looking to do what PJ Fleck did last season to upgrade the team depth.
Michigan State went from 2-5 to 10-2 in one year, on the back of the portal, as well?

CB and NB seem like our clearest needs for the portal this off-season. We lose Durr, Howden, Harris and maybe TSmith. I don’t think anyone besides Wally even got reps at those spots, so seems like Stapp is worth a shot.

Anyone know who internally is “next up” at those spots?
I think we really just have a bunch of young guys from 2019, 20, and 21 classes that haven't seen much game action.

Top Bottom